Showtime to Launch Stand-Alone Streaming Service: When? How Much?

Showtime Streaming Service

Starting July 12, you’ll be able to enjoy your Masters of Sex-ytimes via the Internet. And with no strings attached (to a cable provider, that is).

Showtime on Wednesday announced the launch of, well, Showtime, a stand-alone streaming service by which viewers can enjoy every episode of every season of the pay cabler’s original series, but without a cable subscription. Instead, you can pony up $10.99 per month to access the Showtime service using any Apple device. (Additional platforms and providers will be announced at a later date.)

Subscribers to the Internet service can also watch new episodes live, as they are broadcast to the east and west coasts, as well as have unlimited on-demand access to hundreds of hours of movies, documentary and sports programming.

“We’re excited to offer consumers the opportunity to subscribe in new ways, by simply having an Internet connection,” Showtime Networks CEO Matthew C. Blank said in a statement. “Our intent is to make Showtime available to viewers via every manner possible, giving them an enormous amount of choice in accessing our programming, starting with the season premieres of our award-winning series Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex,” both of which launch new seasons the day the streaming service goes live.

Showtime is offering a 30-day free trial to new customers who sign up through Apple in July. Subscribers can use their Showtime account to watch the service across all supported devices, as well as Showtime.com.

1. Rose says:

Nice! My provider doesn’t allow the app– I would be willing to pay to start the much raved about series I missed like Homeland, Shameless and catch up on episodes I missed of Masters of Sex!

2. LK says:

Interesting… $10.99 to watch via this app as opposed to the $15 I’m paying my cable provider for the chanel? Are they trying to get people to drop cable?

• Ellinas78 says:

Yes. But until ESPN becomes available I don’t see it happening.

• LK says:

Yea i watch way too many sports channels to cut my cord… but i might drop showtime in order to save the $5.

• wgsecretary says:

I’m not a sports fan at all. But, I did try out the new Sling tv. It has multiple ESPNs and, I believe, an extra sport package add on. I’ve gotten so used to not watching cable channels, that I didn’t watch it enough to keep it. But, it may be worth checking out if you like sports but want to save some money.

3. Kyle says:

Availability in other countries?

• Erika says:

Of course only in US and the world does not have a right to watch an American TV shows due to,you guess it…copyright,copyright,copyright.Its all about copyright.Only in America.What a shame!Im from Europe BTW.

• Ellinas78 says:

I have a bunch of friends in Europe and they do just fine.

Not to mention now they get many shows a couple of days later on their TVs.

4. Alexander says:

That would be pretty cool if I could access the service from Germany

5. Rita says:

Would love to see Tivo offering these types of apps. Just in time for Twin Peaks. I don’t have cable and only get Netflix when something amazing is on, like Arrested Development. It saves a me a lot of money.

6. Erika says:

$10.00 sounds expensive for me!
    I guess the era of cheap prices is ending.

7. Diz says:

Very cool and a nice price point too.

8. I wish they would make the CBS app they have, available on AppleTV

9. BP says:

I’d do it for a month to catch up on the past season of Shameless and Episodes

10. Deion says:

I watch 4 Showtime series and one of HBO. If cord cutting was on my agenda, I’d definitely do this.

11. Tee says:

So, what about those of us who DO has the channel, but use the app? Will the app be rendered osbsolete because they now want to charge?

• Ricardo says:

You don’t have anything to worry about. For folks like us who subscribe to “regular” Showtime via cable or satellite, nothing will change. We’ll continue to get the live channels on tv plus have access to on-demand streaming through the Showtime Anytime app (or maybe they’ll just fold that functionality into this new app simply named “Showtime”).

12. SPAMMER says:

SPAM DELETED #TVLineCares

13. Kyle says:

I want this just for twin peaks… Is it worth it?

14. mooshki says:

Perfect to get ready for Twin Peaks!!

15. Ricardo says:

I second the comment hoping the new Showtime streaming service comes to TiVo. Would be great if the live channels could be integrated into the regular TiVo program grid. Love Showtime, they have the best lineup of hourlong shows. I watch five of them and look forward to Roadies, Billions, and Twin Peaks.