Emmys

Emmys 2015: Lead Actor in a Comedy Series — Our 6 Dream Nominees!

The Big Bang Theory‘s Jim Parsons has taken home the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series in four of the last five years (Two and a Half Men‘s Jon Cryer broke the streak in 2012). But like a planet too reliant on fossil fuels, we kinda think the race could use some fresh sources of energy this year.

Which brings us to Team TVLine’s latest Dream Nominees Gallery — which champions six incredible talents with a total of zero Emmy wins among ’em (and zero nominations in the Lead Comedy Actor division).

Yes, yes, we realize some dreams don’t/won’t come true — this one included — but we won’t stop beating the drum in the name of quality once a day between now and the official start of Emmys’ nomination-voting kickoff on June 15!

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to peruse our sextet of choices, then sound off in the comments!

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope Andy Samberg who’s going to be this year’s host at the Primetime Emmy Awards should be nominated for his hilarious work in Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Start complaining if you dare.

• Wordsmith says:

He’s doing great work on B99, though I don’t know who I would knock off of TVLine’s excellent list to make room for him. Is he really better than Will Forte or Anthony Anderson?

• flutiefan says:

yes, he’s funnier than both Forte and Anderson.

• Wordsmith says:

I would tend to agree with you, but another question is how much of that is the writing, and how much is his performance? Also, if we’re splitting hairs, it’s not funniest actor, it’s best actor in a funny show. There is a difference.

• omabin says:

I agree, I hope he gets a nomination, he deserves it. Jake is not an easy character to play imo, could easily have become an obnoxious character. But I doubt it. They ignored him last year in a less competitive race and when he was fresh of a Golden Globe win, so I doubt it happens this year.

• GREGO366 says:

Hellllllllloo !!! Samberg isn’t as funny as Adam Sandler ( who is awful).

2. motorcitygirl says:

Watching Thomas Middleditch’s facial expressions alone makes me laugh. At least he got a mod at the Critic’s Choice :)

3. omabin says:

My picks:
    – Chris Messina, The Mindy Project
    – Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory (I agree with the criticisms about the past big bang season but Parsons’ peformance wasn’t any less stellar and the category without him would be blasphemy)
    – Will Forte, The Last Man on Earth
    – Andy Samberg, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    – Anthony Anderson, Black-ish

However, I think the winner should be, by a landslide, Chris Messina, who at this point is becoming the most underrated actor on the entire television – the guy is incredible. I would celebrate a nomination anyway.

• omabin says:

By the way, @Team TVLine, I kind of miss when you used to do the long slideshows looking into all contenders and selecting your dream nominees in the process instead of just giving us the select 6.

• GREGO366 says:

I dunno. Parsons LINES are very good, but ‘over the top snobbery’ has gotten TOO stale.

• He was great in the episode when he and Penny had that psychological experiment to see if they would fall in love.

• Francesca says:

Also, The Champagne Reflection, the episode in which Sheldon and Amy retire Fun With Flags. To say nothing of the opener and the finale. There have been years when I’ve thought, “Okay, are they really awarding this guy AGAIN for the same exact thing?” but this year was not that year.

• I don’t think that he should win again, but Jim Parsons has done an admirable job at keeping Sheldon a likable character. We shouldn’t like him but do anyway.

4. webly3 says:

I loved this list! Though, it’s always weird seeing Jeffrey Tambor as a “comedic” actor in Transparent. He does an outstanding job. But, I cried for him much more than I laughed for his character. I would probably give him the dramatic actor win, but it’s hard giving him the comedic actor win when I never found him funny. And, I would’ve nommed William H. Macy over Anthony Anderson. Sometimes, I found Anderson’s character’s opinions about whites and blacks actually offensive.

5. craig says:

Chris Messina and Chris Geere

6. AddieM says:

I find Chris Messina to be the real gem of TMP more so than Mindy. My picks are;
    Andy Samberg
    Chris Messina
    Matt LeBlanc – Episodes
    Anthony Anderson
    Jim Parsons (even though TBBT has become all kinds of cheesy, Jim Parsons never disappoints as Sheldon)

7. Jennifer says:

Agree with about half of this list. I’d love to see:

Chris Geere (You should despise him but he makes you love him)
    Thomas Middleditch (Understated hilariousness)
    Chris Messina (Two words: Diamond Dan)
    Jim Parsons (He’s just so so good)
    Johnny Galecki (He does get shafted a lot, but he really doesn’t deserve to)
    Jake Johnson (Shocks me that no one notices how ridiculously funny he is)

• omabin says:

I think Jake Johnson is amazing and I think the past two years he should have gotten a nomination. This year I don’t think he was given that great material to warrant it.

• Marissa says:

Jake Johnson is an absolute riot and definitely deserves some more recognition for his comedic skills in general, but I agree with Omabin – as much as part of me still loves New Girl, this season really wasn’t worthy of a nomination in any category.

• Jennifer says:

I can’t disagree with you on that. So true that he deserved nominations the past two years.

8. Forte and Tambor are obvious favourites. I like Chris Geere but I really don’t think he deserves an emmy nom (same goes for Middleditch). Ty Burrell is too great not to get a nom, I just don’t want him to win. I hope Samberg gets a nom, he’s just too damn funny.

9. danoregon says:

I thought the Critics Choice Awards did a good job of highlighting some of the quality shows that have been snubbed elsewhere.

10. zac says:

Am I the only one who doesnt find Transparent funny? Or maybe because I’m not American and I don’t get their jokes and punchlines.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I haven’t seen it, but from what I have heard, it is a very dramatic show, so it’s probably not just you that feels that way. The Emmys this year have decided that half hour shows should submit as comedies, and hour long shows should submit as dramas, and you have to petition if you want to be switched to the other category. Nobody ever petitions their way out of comedy because it’s a much easier category to win in then drama. Drama is way more hardcore competitive. Even without Breaking Bad in the mix. The only shows this year that were successful with their petitions to get back in comedy were Shameless and Jane the Virgin. (I think.) Orange is the New Black lost their petition and have to submit as drama. Though I kind of agree the second season of Orange probably belongs in drama.

• zac says:

I read somewhere that Glee also was succesful to be considered as a comedy but it’s an uphill battle for that one to be nominated.

11. Jerry says:

Who are we really kidding? We all know the nominees are going to be Jim Parsons, Matt LeBlanc, Don Cheadle, Louis CK and two more. This category has gotten extremely stale recently.

12. Efi says:

I agree with all of your choices! Plus Andy Samberg!

13. Britta Unfiltered says:

Louis C.K. for the win for me. I hope he submits the episode where he and Pamela break up. Such a heartbreakingly funny, sad episode. Why can’t you love Louie, Pamela? Then after him, Matt LeBlanc for Episodes, William H. Macy for Shameless, Billy Crystal for The Comedians, Thomas Middleditch for Silicon Valley, and Diamond Dan, who American Woman’d his way into my heart.

14. patricia smith says:

Sorry..never saw any of them..too busy watching ”big bang theory”

15. GREGO366 says:

TIM ALLEN deserves to be there !! It’s sad that he’s on Friday Nights and his social satire does not lean far enough to the left make him a favorite to ‘Hollywood’ in general.

• Rose says:

This is kind of a ridiculous comment. I am not sure where you got the idea that Tim Allen isn’t an Emmy winner because of some sort of political reason.

1. He has been nominated for an Emmy before and multiple times for Golden Globe.
      2. He admits himself that he isn’t a great actor — he can only do roles that are very much like him.

i don’t know why i am feeding the trolls that like to make everything about politics… but i am.

16. Rose says:

Jeffery Tambor’s performance in Transparent– though wonderful– is NOT a comedic one.

My Dream Nominees:
    Adam Scott (Parks and Rec)
    Chris Messina (Mindy Project)
    Will Forte (Last Man on Earth)
    Jake Johnson (New Girl)
    Louis CK (Louie)
    Jonathan Groff (Looking)

17. Francesca says:

Agree with Will Forte and Messina. Chris Messina FTW. While I love SV, I feel like it is SUCH an ensemble show that I barely think of Thomas Middleditch as the lead. I don’t think there is any way around the fact that Jim Parsons will be nominated. There were other seasons that were “more of the same” but he was actually very good this year.

18. Anna says:

Thomas Middleditch is the best, seriously, The first time I saw him in an interview it blew my mind; he’s nothing like his character, he’s freaking amazing! Chris Messina is a close second for me. Veeeeery close.
    But neither of them is gonna win, I fear. It’s probably gonna be Parsons again, because America still doesn’t seem to be over Sheldon Cooper (I know I am)…

19. flutiefan says:

i guess i’m the only one here who doesn’t gush over Chris Messina. i like him just fine. but i don’t think he’s the best.
    i’m also quite sick of Jim Parsons winning constantly. his shtick is so old.
    i love You’re the Worst but i’m just not sure i’d give it to Geere, either.
    ugh, this is a difficult category.

20. J.Norman says:

From the nomination commentary
    “Forte took a potentially one-dimensional character and made him a multidimensional being”

I guess if you say so. Personally, I don’t think he is anything more than a one dimensional clueless frat boy.
    It generally is not that hard to play an unlikable jerk. Just play up the obnoxious.

21. Ellinas78 says:

You guys are trying too hard to be cool.

22. brubira says:

Wrong pronouns in Jeffrey Tambor’s slide. Maura is a woman.