Ratings: Whispers Makes a Little Noise, SYTYCD Premiere Down Sharply

SYTYCD Season 11 Ratings

Fox’s So You Think You Can Dance opened its rejiggered Season 11 on Monday night with 3.9 million total viewers and a 1.2 demo rating.

That’s down 23 and 37 percent from its previous premiere and off 11 and 14 percent from the Season 10 finale.

Now opening the night on ABC, The Bachelorette (6.5 mil/1.9) surged 20 percent. The Whispers’ debut retained 5.7 mil and a 1.5, up 30 and 25 percent from Mistresses‘ year-ago premiere and giving ABC its top-rated scripted summer launch in nearly five years (since Rookie Blue circa June 2010).

TVLine readers gave The Whispers an average grade of “B.”

NBC’s Ninja Warrior (6.8 mil/2.0) rose 16 percent and two tenths, flirting with an all-time high audience, while The Island (3.8 mil/1.2) was flat.

1. Lola says:

I know people didn’t like Mary on SYTYCD but I miss her already. All of her yelling and hot tamale train has become a staple for the show. Paula and Jason were dry and uninspired. I found myself really bored with their critiques. Mary added something with her own little brand of crazy that neither of these judges have. I think the significant drop in ratings prove it. The grass isn’t always greener.

• The Beach says:

Whether or not viewers liked Mary’s loud and occasionally shrieking voice isn’t really the big deal. But the fact that the show fired a very experienced and knowledgeable expert on all forms of ballroom dancing is a VERY big deal. Paula is a sweet ex modern dancer..and Jason Derulo? Give me a break.

• Ronnie says:

I loved Mary! That’s why I’m not watching this season. I’ll book an open-ended ticket on the Hot Tamale Train and use it when she comes back.

2. Kelly says:

I really wish Mary was still around. I don’t see why the panel couldn’t have been her, Nigel, and Paula. It’s as if the network is averse to having two women up there. I do not see the point of Jason Derulo. Everything that’s been truly special about this show exited stage left with the Hot Tamale Train. Oh well, this is probably the last season anyway.

3. Boiler says:

Can anyone explain why 6.5 million watch Bachelorette? It is one of the more embarrassing reality shows around. If you watch it because of that doesn’t say much for the viewer. Nice for Whisperers although I didn’t watch. Dump reality crap and bring back Motive

4. Mr. Tran K says:

With American Idol ending next year, I predict that SYTYCD should take over AI spot possibly in January 2017.

5. Tammy says:

I’m a huge fan of SYTYCD and wish the ratings were higher. I’m not sure I like the new format and as much as I can’t stand Mary….. I would take her over Paula. Please, please get your friends to watch this show. If you know anyone who is a Nielson family or gets the guest one week book to fill out… beg them to put SYTYCD in it!

6. Larry says:

Out of all the past season openers for SYTYCD, I probably enjoyed this season premiere the least. I don’t know if I like the new format of Stage Vs Street. I like the stage styles and this forces a limit on those dancers. I can see a lot of good dancers being cut right from the beginning due to trying to keep a balance between styles. And while I like Paula and Jason -I didn’t find ther critiques very constructive last night. Jason was very hesititant and Paula didn’t really seem there. Her laughing fit last night was very distracting to me as a viewer -I felt sorry for the dancer on stage. I really miss Mary’s boisterious personality and the random guest judge. At least their comments were more spot on and enlightening to the viewers than the boredom I felt listening to Jason and Paula. Even Nigel didn’t really seem right last night. The chemistry between the judges is way off now.
    With Fox putting this show now on Mondays against more popular reality it really feels the network is trying to kill the show. I also think Nigel went in the wrong direction to appease FOX. If the show last night is a hint of things to come -it looks to be a big fail. And that’s just sad to me because this has always been one of my summer-to-go-to shows for years.

7. David says:

Not sure why they would move this to a Monday. Espeically with the new format and lackluster judges, shouldn’t have made that change too. I didn’t tune in but this is really the only reality show I watch so I’m sure I will once the competition starts. Though I’ll miss Mary and tune out Jason and probalby Paula too and usually Nigel. I wish more ppl watched this instead of shows like the bachelorette or whatever (though I’ve never seen one of those dating shows so I won’t judge), it just makes me sad, these young adults have actual talent (ok i judge a little).

8. Terry says:

Sadly I’m not surprised by the ratings for SYTYCD. I tried to watch, I really did, I used to love this show sooo much. But alas I quickly realized that I do not want to listen to what Jason or Paula have to say about ANYTHING, EVER! Oh well, thanks for the memories SYTYCD, it was fun while it lasted.

• Heidi says:

If SYTYCD tanks, thank the producers. Paula and Jason? Seriously? Who cares what their opinions are. For the first time since it began, I won’t be tuning in. Sad. I used to look forward to this show each summer.

9. Drew says:

I watched the first hour of SYTYCD and was bored. Then they had the little kids dancing to a song called “Talk Dirty To Me” and I was done. That was inappropriate, for kids and for a family show. I don’t care about plugging the album of some guy whose music sucks. Even Nigel noticed that it was inappropriate, yet allowed it to go on anyway.

10. Remy says:

I know it’s like impossible to get cable ratings, but I really wonder how UnReal did.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Cable ratings famously come in much, much later, and are reported, when warranted, under separate cover.

11. tee says:

I just finished watching and I was bored with everyone that made it to Vegas so far. They should’ve stuck with guest judging. And if they were trying to replace judges why not with Christina Applegate and Jesse Tyler Ferguson. Oh and it’s season 12 not 11.

12. C says:

SYTYCD’s judging panel keeps going from bad to worse. This is definitely a new low. Can we just return to the heyday of season 7? Adam, Mia, and Nigel were the best standing panel ever (and the only year I didn’t fast forward commentary). Plus Lauren, Kent, Robert, and Alex freaking Wong.

I miss the old SYTYCD. Come back my friend, come back…

• Ronnie says:

I live for Mia’s choreography, but she was absolutely awful as a standing judge! As an occasional judge would be cool, but other than that, she should stick to making awesome routines.

13. LynnH says:

Who decided that Mary can only judge ballroom? She had very specific things to say about all styles. Nigel, Mary, and a former contestant guest judge would have been so much fun. Instead we get two judges who say nothing of substance, nothing helpful, nothing constructive. Most could probably tolerate Paula but Jason Derulo serves no purpose on this show. What are his qualifications for judging, exactly? If he has any, they are not apparent.

14. Mary Ann says:

I removed SYTYCD from my dvr season pass when it was announced that Mary was leaving and Paula was taking her place. She was the worst judge on American Idol. She can hardly string words together to make a coherent sentence. I also didn’t like the sound of the new format. I will miss Cat Deeley and the awesome choreography of Travis Wall, but so be it.

• Carla Krae says:

She did fine last night, actually. She knows dance better than singing.

• LynnH says:

I didn’t know Cat Deely was gone, too. She’s there for the audutions. Does she get replaced once the competition starts?

• Kris says:

I thin Mary Ann meant she’ll miss Cat Deely because she’s not watching the show. Haven’t heard anything about her leaving the show.

15. greysfan says:

SYTYCD was horrible. Worst season premiere ever. Cat Deely was the only highlight of the show. She’s the best host around!

16. Justine says:

bring back Mary!!!!

17. Neva Ringwald says:

Please bring back the original format. Stage/Street just doesn’t cut it. Replace Paul Abdul ASAP. Her comments lack depth and originality. Where’s Mary Murphy when we need her? I suspect ratings will drop dramatically.