Pretty Little Liars Season Premiere Recap: Charles in Charge

Pretty Little Liars Season 6

Pretty Little Liars kicked off its #SummerOfAnswers on Tuesday with a season premiere full of… more questions.

Picking up immediately after the events of last season’s finale, the girls remained trapped at Chez Charles, where the dude-but-still-a-bitch entertained them with all sorts of fun games, including dress up (as corpses) and hide-and-seek (or die). Honestly, throw in a bouncy castle and it was basically a reenactment of my 10th birthday party.

BAIT, SWITCHED | Back in Rosewood, Alison remained a helpless (yet glamorous) worm, dangling from Detective Tanner’s hook in the hopes of luring Andrew — suspected of kidnapping the girls, natch — out of hiding. But Ali ain’t about that #WormLife, so with a little assistance from Ezra and Caleb, she snuck out of her house and made tracks for a rendezvous with the hot nerd.

Unfortunately, Andrew was nowhere to be seen upon Ali’s arrival at Tyler State Park. Instead, her car’s built-in “guidance” system — Sleepy Hollow fans, did anyone else immediately yearn for Yolanda?! — directed her to open her trunk, where she discovered a delightful greeting card with an even more delightful message: “Put on these clothes and start walking… or they die.” (For the record, Yolanda would never.)

Pretty Little Liars Season 6

BURNING DOWN THE HOUSE | After three weeks of Charles’ twisted shenanigans, the girls finally reached their wits’ end — take it from me: waking up everyday, wondering if you’re missing a kidney, gets old fast — and decided to torch the damn place. And I was just as surprised as you were when the plan actually worked and the girls managed to escape alive!

It was great to see the liars reunited with their loved ones after enduring so much trauma: Caleb and Hanna (“Don’t ever let me go!”), Spencer and Toby (that kiss!) and Emily and… Alison? That’s right, Emerson ‘shippers, don’t think I didn’t notice that little moment between the former sleepover pals.

¿QUE, SARAH? | But wait! The premiere’s final moments had one more surprise in store for fans: The police entered Charles’ compound and discovered a sixth girl trembling in fear — none other than Sara Harvey, who went missing around the same time as Alison (originally) did.

Pretty Little Liars Season 6

But what’s Sara’s connection to Charles? And while we’re at it, who is Charles? (Here’s hoping the #SummerOfAnswers lives up to its hashtag!) Grade the Season 6 premiere below, then drop a comment with your best/craziest theories.

1. Matt C. says:

I actually loved this episode. I can’t remember the last time I enjoyed this show this much. If the rest of this season lives up to this premiere, it may be the best season of the whole series.

• swanjun0 says:

I gave up towards the end of S5, reading recaps instead, but now I think maybe I should get back on board. At least for this summer.

2. PLLLuver123 says:

This episode was terrifying but amazing at the same time. Honestly, Sara (who I thought was definitely Bethany) scared me to DEATH. But great job and well done!

3. Danielle says:

What about Ezria? No update on them?

4. Yep I noticed the Ali/Emily moment to :)

• Brandon says:

Pretty positive she was hugging Mona

• JKR says:

There were two moments. When the Liars first came out, Emily ran straight to Ali and they hugged in the background. Then there was a shot of Emily with Ali and Mona before the last moment when Ali took Emily’s hand before getting asked if she knew who was Charles. I paid WAY too much attention… oy.

5. chuckiechk says:

this may have been the BEST episode of pll in a very long time. I enjoyed it from start to finish and enjoyed how it played out in the end.

6. Tammy says:

Is Sasha pregnant? Her outfits were really loose on her.

7. Naima says:

What happened in that room

• Rook says:

In the promo for the next episode it looked like they had switches. I think it might be a electroshock thing. Flip the switch to shock one of the other girls or get shocked you’re self. Or something similar where they end up harming another girl instead of themselves.

8. Greg says:

Im in shock, I enjoyed an episode and didnt think “why do I watch this show” when it ended. It’s been a long time since that happened, great start

• jessica says:

I think Bethany was dressed like Alison because Charles wanted to do the same thing to her as he did to Mona have a replacement Alison

9. Eric7740 says:

Now that’s a season premiere!!! One of the best episodes of PPL ever! I was almost done with this show, but it always sucks me back in!!! Hope the rest of this season is as good as the premiere!!!

10. Mary Kate says:

Finally a good episode!

• liliya says:

• Kait says:

Yeah and we won’t get another good one until episode 10 of this season. This show always ropes you in with the first, mid-season finale, mid-season premiere, and finale and somehow makes you forget about barely anything happening between. But I need to know so I keep watching

11. Cobra says:

To start off a “Summer of Answers” by giving absolutely zero answers at all does not bode well for living up to such a promise. And I have a feeling, that if/when they do start giving any answers, all it’s going to do is lead to more questions. Seriously, at this point, there’s no possible way they can explain everything and have it make plausible sense.
    I’ve invested this much time into the show, so I’m sure I’ll end up finishing it out, but they’ve cast their net way too wide to really make ANY ending satisfying.

12. leosha r says:

Sooooooo is charles,jason long lost twin.

13. mia says:

What happened to them while they were in their rooms for three weeks?

14. Patinia says:

Charles is Jason’s twin brother aka Allisons brother also. In the video that spencer saw last season there was mrs d, Allison, and two little boys, one was Jason and guess who was the other one … Charles. A killed mrs d so that nobody would take away her son and that is why she protected the person you hit Allison with the rock in the beginning of the show. She wanted to protwct Charles. A killed mrs d so that she wouldn’t tell anybody that she knew about him. Nobody else in the family knows about him so that is why it is a mystery. They showed spencer looking at the video because Allisons family and her family are related!! It totally makes sense now!! 💟

15. Jessica says:

I LOVED IT!!!

16. “Sara Harvey, who went missing around the same time as Alison (originally) did”

Sounds like it’s the old “the bad guy pretends to be one of the hostages” trick.

• lauri5567 says:

Exactly what I was thinking and reminds me of the Alison/Courtney story in the books. I didn’t believe it at the season finale, but now I could buy that Sara is Charles.
      Also, I’m predicting that Andrew was searching for the girls and will be the next body found.

• LaVonda says:

I like that theory as well but in the books, Allison had a twin sister. And in the winter episode, Allison had a flash back of finding an identical GIRL outfit and her mother made her promise to tell a lie that she had only seen one outfit. And in an earlier episode, Hanna’s mom found female clothing that was exactly the same size with tags on them in Mrs. D house. Whose clothes do they belong too?
        This is all so confusing

• liliya says:

Marlene King already said though Ali doesn’t have a twin on the show. What I’m thinking is Jason had a Twin the twin was obsessed with Ali and wanted to become a girl like Ali. Mrs D encouraged it by buying him evetything ali had too.Alis dad though he was crazy and they sent to Radley and thats why Alis mom spent so much time there. I think. “Sarah” is Charles!!!!!!

• Ali says:

I agree. Sara Harvey as Black Veil totally plausible at this point

• liliya says:

I think Melissa Hastings was nlack veil because she knew she had killed Bethany and wanted to pay her respect some how. Had the shape of her Atleast

17. Kate says:

Just an odd observation, I totally forgot about the show at 8 (and for some reason decided to rewatch the pilot of Teen Wolf while waiting for iZombie) and then forgot again during the replay at 10. So, I flipped at 10:30 and, well, I caught everything that was included in this recap.

18. msemmyjones says:

A good start to the season! Just one thing: I DON’T think Andrew is Charles. I think he’s a red herring. I’m sure he’s involved somehow, but I think it would be too easy (and a little weird) if Andrew turned out to be Charles.

• MARLA says:

It would be really weird considering Spencer stripped for him for aderol and hes her half brother (if in fact charles and jason are twins as I am theorizing)

• msemmyjones says:

Yeah, I’ve been operation under the assumption that they’re twins (though fraternal since those too little boys in the home movie didn’t look identical). And Spencer was the one who had that weird echo memory of him, like a pen pal or a cousin you’ve never met. Someone you know but don’t know. Because he’s her half brother and so he’s familiar even if they’ve never met. Andrew is someone she knows. Someone who’s going to be more directly familiar to her.

19. robandco says:

It felt weird to not hate-watch this show! It is a nice feeling I haven’t experienced in a long time.
    That said, I hope Sarah is not affiliated with A- in any capacity because the whole “the bad guy pretends to be a victim/hostage too to gain sympathy and trick the viewer” does not exactly work anymore (see Scandal for what not to do).
    Great premiere that got me pumped for the summer, good job.

20. Infinite says:

OMG! This episode was a good season premiere! I swear, I thought the girl was gonna Bethany and not Sara. Just wow.

21. MARLA says:

How did Rosewood know that Mona was alive???? This is really bothering me. To exonerate someone for murder I think they need more evidence than just rumor???

22. Maddy says:

That doesn’t make any sense that Sara Harvey was in the dollhouse with the Liars too. I thought at the beginning of the episode that was Bethany Young. What if Bethny isn’t actually dead? What if Maya isn’t dead either?

As Marlene King said about Mona’s return;

“This isn’t the last time you see a character that is supposed to be dead.”

23. Shannon says:

I think Sara was tortured into being BV. I thought it would be Bethany but I like this better. I think Bethany is the cause of much of Charles’ hate for the liars and so I think she’s dead. It wouldn’t make sense for the police to have incorrectly identified TWO girls that night and for THREE girls to have faked their own deaths.

24. Camilla Farrant says:

I think Mr Dilaurentis had a crazy brother and sister-in-law who had two children – Bethany and Charles. They both died and Mrs D felt responsible for looking after the children who both went a bit mental and grew up in Radley. Mr D didn’t get on with his brother so kept them secret and forbade Mrs D from visiting them in Radley, but she did anyway. Both Bethany and Charles grew up wishing they had the life that Alison and Jason had. Great jealousy, envy and hatred towards Alison grew throughout the years… In the dollhouse, Charles is trying to create the world he wished he had.

25. volken93 says:

Something is bothering me…when the girls escaped they were wearing the same outfits as they once used for an episode. Could it be a clue? What do you think? And moreover can someone remeber the episode I’m thinking of? Maybe I should rewatch it….

26. SF74 says:

I bet that sara and bethany have a connection that we don’t know about. Also in those ads that Ali used to talk to A, there was one that said something like come and find me with the number (727) 242-7839 after it. That number spells out sara harvey. Maybe charles was using this as a way to lure someone to him

27. KPMom says:

If Charles is Jason’s twin, then why did Allison have that memory of her mother making her lie to her father about finding the 2 dresses? Also, did I miss something? How did the police find out that Andrew was involved in kidnapping the girls? (I seriously doubt that Andrew is Charles and I’m pretty sure Andrew will turn up dead sooner or later).

28. TipsyHyena says:

anyone wonder what the girls went through when they went back inside the dollhouse and they started screaming when they got back to their rooms?

• liliya says:

Yes! Maybe electric shock? And made them watch the same videos of there family crying like he/she did to Mona. Hopefully no rape!

29. SF74 says:

okay this is very far fetched, but I mean, crazy stuff always happens in Rosewood. There are five people from Rosewood trapped in the dollhouse: Spencer, Mona, Aria, Hanna, and Emily. If you take the first letter in each of their names, you can arrange it to spell out SHAME (Spencer, Hanna, Aria, Mona, Emily). Maybe this is a clue to Charles shaming them for something they did to him, which could be the reason he hates them. OR, each liar could be working for Charles without knowing, which causes them much shame that they’re betraying their friends. He puts them in the dollhouse so they know that he always has control over them. This is probably wrong but I wanted to put it out there. Thanks:)

30. megan says:

WHAT IS THE FRAKIN SURPRISE

31. angelina says:

But it was scary
    Y is d girl ghost like
    Why is she freakish
    Why was there a gown on the wall whn spencer went to d place

32. Dani says:

I actually really enjoyed this episode when the girls were saying bye it was so sad I cried too Shara Harvey was dressed like Alison weird scary girl mabey she has a twin in season seven