Emmys

Emmys 2015: Lead Actress in a Comedy Series — Our 6 Dream Nominees!

Emmys Lead Actress Comedy

Wait just a second: The 2015 race for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series without Veep‘s Julia Louis-Dreyfus? Rated B… for Blasphemy!

And yet that’s exactly what Team TVLine is proposing in our latest Dream Nominees Gallery.

Look, it’s not that JLD’s work as Selina Meyer has been any less hilarious in Season 4, but she’s also taken home the statuette for the last three years. And in a category so competitive that we also had to snub black-ish‘s effervescent Tracee Ellis-Ross, Broad City‘s bad-ass Ilana Glazer, the endlessly amusing Mindy Kaling, The Goldbergs‘ formidable Wendi McLendon-Covey and Parks and Recreation‘s always-a-bridesmaid Amy Poehler, we didn’t feel too too guilty about making the Veep star sit out a year.

So who did survive the brutal cut for our Dream Nominations — a feature we’ll revisit once a day between now and the official start of Emmys’ nomination-voting kickoff on June 15?

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to peruse our sextet of choices, then tell us which of our dream nominees have you saying “Woot!”, which have you throwing side-eye, and whether or not we snubbed any of your faves.

1. LT says:

Yeah…sorry. I understand (somewhat) the need to leave out JLD…but Tracee Ellis-Ross needs to be in here. Although, this should really go to Gina Rodriquez hands down.

2. AddieM says:

From this list I’d pick Constance Wu & Lisa Kudrow.
    Hope no more Veep, TBBT and Modern family nods this year

3. Sarah says:

Nah. Gina is amazing, but Julia has earned this one.

• Dude says:

No she hasn’t. She has three. What has she done this year that she hasn’t done the past three years. She’s great but a fourth win would be overkill. She wasn’t the best performance this year.

4. K says:

Constance Wu is fantastic, the highlight of any comedy!

5. webly3 says:

Lisa Kudrow absolutely killed it in The Comeback this year. But, my personal choices are slightly different:

I don’t have Constance Wu or Kristen Schaal (although I love them both). I have JLD and Abbi Jacobson instead (I even snubbed Poehler myself! :( ). But, I could not agree more with Kudrow, Rodriguez, Schumer, and Kemper.

6. Joey says:

I love all of TV Line’s picks for this one!

7. murley says:

I agree that Tracee Ellis-Ross needs to be on this list and given it is Amy Poehler’s last chance for the amazing character she brought to life I want her in the mix as well. I would probably switch out Amy Schumer, she deserves it for writing without a doubt but she just doesn’t have the chops of others in the field, and Kristen Schall, who I actually really like although I prefer her as Louise on Bob’s Burgers.

• Marissa says:

Agreed on all counts!! Although I don’t have any preference about Tracee Ellis-Ross since I’ve yet to watch Black-ish, but I’ve heard the show is great. I do hope that Amy Poehler gets a nod since it’s her last year, even though it’s doubtful. Reminds me of how they treated Steve Carell… which is appropriate, since I’ve always considered Leslie Knope and Michael Scott 2 sides of the same coin. :)

• misery chick says:

You’re right about Leslie and Michael being 2 sides of the same coin. I never thought of it that way.

Yeah, still p’od over Steve Carell not getting an Emmy for his sublime performance of Michael Scott, a truly pathetic, obnoxious, arrogant, desperate, barely tolerable human being who (waaaay) deep down was a sweet caring man who valued loyalty and friendship.

I’m STILL BEYOND THRILLED that he was nominated for a ‘Best Actor In A Drama’ Oscar…which is WAY WAY WAY BETTER than an Emmy (neener neener neener 😆😆)

8. Brian says:

JLD still rocks on Veep, so I have no problem with her getting nominated again. I also root for Constance Wu to make the cut. She’s just awesome on Fresh Off the Boat.

9. Juliana says:

Lisa Kudrow and Constance Wu deserve to be nominated. I’ll be happy if either of them win.

10. Ron says:

I’m sorry, but Amy Poehler needs to be in the mix. She created one of the best TV characters ever, and she didn’t disappoint in the final season of P&R.

• Daisy says:

I agree. In my opinion, Amy over Kristin in a heart beat. I have to disagree that Schaal’s performance makes me want to root for her–I don’t actually. I find both the actress and the character pretty irritating. A little of her goes a long way–her role on Flight of the Conchords was perfect–limited.

11. Riana says:

Stop trying to make Amy Schumer happen.

12. evababy says:

Tracee Ellis-Ross needs to be seriously considered. Her comedic timing is flawless.

13. omabin says:

For me:

Musts:
    – Constance Wu (Fresh Off the Boat)
    – Kristen Schaal (The Last Man on Earth)
    – Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish)

Would personally like to see but I might be convinced otherwise since I don’t watch all the shows you guys mentioned:
    – Anna Faris (Mom)
    – Mindy Kaling (The Mindy Project)
    – Zooey Deschanel (New Girl)
    – Ellie Kemper (Unbrekable Kimmy Schmidt)

By the way, I think it is quite ridiculous that Allison Janney is not going as main. She and Anna are both main actresses on Mom right now. Maybe not the first season but certainly this year. She will blow any actress on the supporting roles out of the water again – no one has a shot with the kind of material she was given and performance she has pulled.

14. lame says:

Tvline and TV guide prognostications are sooo different you’d swear their from continents.

15. JLD is without a doubt miles ahead of every one of those choices

16. Knope says:

Ilana Glazer from Broad City totally deserves a nomination

17. craig says:

Lisa Kudrow and Mindy Kaling. And Gamble from The Real Housewives of Melbourne.

18. Eric says:

I’m sure Amy Schumer will get a nomination, but I really hope she doesn’t. I hate that the Emmy Awards have updated their rules and are allowing sketch actors to submit themselves in the Lead and Supporting roles categories. I honestly think there should be separate categories for sketch comedians, but considering that it would actually make sense, they won’t do it. Some of these categories are way too broad for my liking. Well, that and the fact that I don’t think Amy Schumer can act her way out of a bag. But that’s just me. Anyways, I’m only really concerned with Lisa Kudrow, Gina Rodriguez, and Constance Wu getting nominations. I hope they do!

19. Jennifer says:

I’d go with:
    JLD (She’s just too too good to be overlooked)
    Gina Rodriguez (Fantastic)
    Amy Poehler (Leslie Knope for life!)
    Mindy Kaling (I mean… she’s wonderful)
    Constance Wu (She’s hilarious)
    And anyone for the last spot.

20. A says:

Yasss at Constance!!!

21. Chloe says:

Constance Wu is perfection on her show. I’d also love to see Tracee Ellis Ross get some Emmy love.

22. Et al says:

Kudrow should win, which means she won’t be nominated.

23. S says:

Mindy Kaling should have absolutely made this list!

24. Dave says:

This list is irrelevant without Amy Poehler. And Julia Louis-Dreyfus is a damn legend.

25. Dude says:

Yes, yes, YES to these. I’d replace Kristen Schaal with Mindy Kaling but that’s it. Perfect nominees and Gina Rodriguez NEEDS to win this!

26. kota says:

Um Amy Poehler?? After seven seasons of brilliant work as Leslie Knope, she deserves at least a nod.

27. Take out Gine Rodriguez and replace with Wendi McLendon-Covey and then we’ll have a race where I refuse to pick a winner!

28. I can’t stand K. Schaal but Lisa Kudrow was just a phenom in The Comeback. As much as I would love to see Amy Poehler get her due statue for her body of work as the amazing Leslie Knope, Kudrow’s portrayal of Valerie C. was, in my opinion, one of the finest seasons of work I’ve every seen.

29. Laura E. says:

The fact that Amy Poehler may not get nominated this year, much less ever win an Emmy for playing Leslie Knope, is utterly disheartening. At least her influence goes well beyond awards.

Also, Constance Wu is fantastic but I think she has a better shot in supporting actress.

• JON says:

I thought that about Amy too. How sad is it that she probably won’t win an Emmy for Parks.

• Marissa says:

Although I feel as though there are many well-deserving women this year, a lot of the potential nominees are either starring in fairly new, successful shows (or have won already) and will get another chance to shine… it would be nice if Amy was rewarded on her last year of such a wonderful show, for portraying such an amazing character.

• omabin says:

I think Constance Wu is the lead of the show. And regardless, as long as Allison Janney doesn’t come to the lead category, I don’t see anyone having a shot at the supporting comedy actress, she has it on lockdown with Mom

30. Scott21 says:

Lisa Kudrow would definitely deserve it!

31. JON says:

How is Amy Schumer able to submit for Best Actress this year? Was there another rule change? Or was the show submitted for Best Comedy instead of Variety Program?

32. Luk says:

Sorry, but JLD must be in the nominees, she’s just too good.
    Said that, I’d be very happy if the actual award goes to Gina.

33. WenRaz says:

Kimmy FTW!

34. Rose says:

My personal dream list:

Lisa Kudrow– can’t say enough about how perfect she was in this role. She SHOULD win
    Amy Pohler– iconic character. I’d be happy if she won
    Wendy McLendon-Covey– though I think maybe she should be in supporting.
    Ellie Kemper- watched all 13 episodes in 24 hours and I still wanted more.
    Constance Wu/ Patricia Heaton– I would take either of these, but I highly doubt either would happen this year.

People I think will be nominated instead of my dream women:
    JLD (Veep), Taylor Shilling (OITNB), Judith Light (Transparent), Gina Rodriguez (JtV)

• Rose says:

Whoops I totally forgot– the perennial nominee and very talented Edie Falco will probably be nominated for an underwhelming season of Nurse Jackie

35. I’d love to see nominations for “The Middle”, TV’s most underrated comedy for years. Eden Sher has been doing Emmy quality work since the pilot.

36. Mika02 says:

Tracee Ellis Ross and Marsai Martin(Diane) should be nominated.

37. Edna says:

Um, why isnt anyone talking about Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda in Grace and Frankie?!!!!!

38. flutiefan says:

CONSTANCE WU! for EVERYTHING!
    i also seriously heart Amy Schumer. but i love me some Jessica Huang.

39. flutiefan says:

Wendy McLendon-Covey would also definitely be on my dream list.
    she is absolute perfection as Beverly Goldberg!

40. JJ says:

I’m all for shaking things up, but there’s no need to remove staples like JLD when they’ve EARNED their recurring nominations.

Also, given my hatred of the Modern Family domination, I know I might sound hypocritical but I really think Amy Poehler deserves another nod. Season 7 was a strong finish, but Amy’s best performances were in earlier seasons hence why she might not deserve the spot as much as other actresses. However, she’s been treated so poorly by the academy. She turned in the strongest performances in Season 3 (2011?) and Season 4 (2012?) and she got completely snubbed (Melissa McCarthy? REALLY? I like her but c’mon…).

Honestly the only thing I want this year is for Amy and Jon Hamm to get some long overdue wins. They really deserve it.

41. Anna Faris