Emmys

Emmys 2015: Outstanding Comedy Series — Our 7 Dream Nominees!

The annual Emmy nominations announcement can be a little like Christmas morning: There’ll be some joyous, much-needed goodies under the tree, but some ugly sweaters and drab socks, too.

Sure, we won’t get official word on 2015’s nods ’til July 16 — and nomination voting doesn’t get underway ’til June 15 — but Santa (aka The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences) can’t give us what we want if we don’t make our lists, right?

To get the discussion going, we at TVLine have been debating which Emmy staples, oft-snubbed gems and dazzling newcomers ought to be on the ballot for 2015. There’ve been strongly worded emails, painful cuts and many a cry of “But why can’t we have 10 picks per category?!” But we’re pleased to report we’ve settled on our 2015 Dream Emmy Nominations — and every day over the next two weeks, we’ll be sharing ’em with you.

Today, we kick things off with Best Comedy Series — a race that has been won by Modern Family for five consecutive years. (Oh, Emmys, why can’t you take a note from The Vampire Diaries and seek some fresh blood on the regular?)

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — then tell us which of our dream nominees have you saying “Jeah!”, which have you searching for your rage emoji, and whether or not we snubbed any of your faves.

1. brandydanforth81 says:

Jane!!!

2. Eric says:

I pretty much agree with those nominees, especially Jane the Virgin. Just as long as Modern Family gets shut out and doesn’t wi anything, I’ll be okay.

3. spindae2 says:

I would nominate FotB as well. A really warm and brilliant show.

4. Anna says:

I love Silicon Valley so much and I think it should win! It won Critic’s Choice, so that’s something… but seriously, I love Modern Family (Ty Burrell!!!!), but if this show wins AGAIN I’m gonna loose faith in this whole awards show.

5. Jennifer says:

I like those pics but if I had to choose seven shows it would be:

Modern Family (Judge me, but it’s still absolutely hilarious)
    You’re the Worst (Fell in love with this show)
    The Big Bang Theory (See comment about Modern Family)
    The Mindy Project (No idea why more people weren’t watching. They were seriously missing out)
    Veep (Julia Louis-Dreyfus is spectacular)
    Jane the Virgin (So fresh and fun)
    Parks and Recreation (No sure if it’s eligible. If it is it needs to be nominated)

6. Hamza says:

I almost completely disagree with TVLine’s list. I think they should be:

Last Man on Earth
    Silicon Valley
    Modern Family
    The Big Bang Theory
    Undateable (yes i know too cheesy for the ‘sophisticated’ folks)
    The Goldbergs
    Black-ish

7. James says:

You’re the Worst is the worst. If that crap gets an Emmy, then I’d better start getting Emmys for every crap I take.

• Wordsmith says:

I like the fact that it’s so polarizing. It’s the kind of show that provokes either love or loathing, with very little middle ground. It’s a very specific world, and either it clicks with you as a viewer, or it REALLY doesn’t.
      I’d wager it generally tests very poorly with anyone married or over the age of 40 or raised outside of a major metropolitan area.

• James says:

I’ve never been married and I’m 30. I think that Married does a much much much better, more realistic, less cartoonish job of the love/hate idea of “you’re the worst” than You’re the Worst does.

8. CJ says:

I agree with this list sooo hard. You’re The Worst is especially amazing, and gets better and better each time I watch.

9. A.M says:

Everything else yes…but NO! to Jane the Virgin…so overrated

• Jimmy says:

Thank you! I just don’t get what people see in this series. Besides, as an hour long show won’t it get pigeon-holed into the drama category?

10. A.M says:

I’d like to see:
    Brooklyn Nine Nine
    Black-ish
    Episodes(I’m not sure if it’s under drama or comedy)

11. Dan says:

I like many of those shows but I only agree on transparent and Kimmy Schmidt.

My other 5 choices would be: Parks and recreation, looking, blackish, togetherness and please like me.

12. Diz says:

I laugh the most during Goldberg’s.

13. dude says:

Hell yes to these! Especially Jane the Virgin, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, The Comeback and Veep.

• dude says:

I’d also nominate The Mindy Project, Parks and Rec and Man Seeking Woman.

• CJ says:

So you liked Man Seeking Woman?? I’m curious because no one I know has seen it, and I watched the first episode and wasn’t really sure how to feel about it. I’m wondering if it’s worth seeking out the rest of the episodes.

14. omabin says:

The Mindy Project (how the hell is this not on your list?)
    Mom (read the comment above)
    Modern Family (sue me, but I still think it is highly deserving)
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    The Last Man on Earth

For the last two I will concede on selecting from the group of cable comedies you have, most of which I don’t watch. But I don’t believe all 7 are better than these 5.

15. ToyCannon says:

Jane The Virgin
    Veep
    Big Bang Theory
    The Middle
    Grace and Frankie
    Shameless (though it really should be in the Drama category)
    Mom

16. LT says:

I need BLACKISH in this category…but overall, I would still go with JANE THE VIRGIN!

17. IMHO says:

I would love to see a Silicon Valley nomination. Hilarious show great ensemble.
    I watch Modern Family & Big Bang Theory and both shows have missed the mark this season.
    It’s like the writers are phoning it in. Not receiving a nomination may snap them out of it.

18. Tom says:

NOT the Office Clone Modern Family? Seriously hopefully this is the year it doesn’t win. It would be nice.

19. Dave says:

Parks and Rec should be nominated and it should win. If this gem of a comedy leaves us without ever having won an Emmy, it would be an absolute crime. Shame on Emmy voters for giving it to the mediocre Modern Family 5 years in a row. It deserved it for its first season and that’s about it.

20. matty says:

Not sure if it is eligible in Comedy Series, but Inside Amy Schumer should be nominated and win every comedy category!

21. Ron says:

I thought You’re the Worst was absolutely horrible. In my opinion, not even kind of Emmy worthy. I enjoyed Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but there was just something about the show as a whole that I didn’t find Emmy worthy. That said, while I don’t think the show should get a nomination, I could get behind Emmy nominations for Jane Krakowski and Tituss Burgess. And as much as I love Transparent, I’m still trying to figure out where the comedy is. Sure, there are some light and funny moments, but I definitely classify it as a drama that occasionally veers into dramedy, but never full fledged comedy. If the Emmy’s aren’t going to allow OITNB to be compete in the comedy category (despite the difference in episodic time duration between the two), I find OITNB to be more of a comedy than Transparent. Also, I don’t mind a Modern Family nomination at all, because I think there’s still justification for a MF nomination–though probably not another win. I’m also throwing my support behind TMP, Parks & Rec, and Frankie and Grace.

22. Sarah says:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Parks and Rec should definitely both be nominated!

23. Jerry says:

I always thought Modern Family was never the #1 comedy in most Emmy’s voters minds, but I think it garnered lots of perhaps 2nd, 3rd place votes. And the Emmy rules are such that each voter rank all 6 comedies from 1 to 6. And the comedy with the least points wins. Shows like Louie, Girls, Veep, or Silicon Valley, or even The Big Bang Theory may get #1 for some people, but they can easily end up at #6 because they are so niche and people who don’t like their unique brands of comedy will absolutely hate it. I don’t believe most Emmy voters put Modern Family at #1, but I am willing to bet that there are very few #5 or #6 votes.

24. Jermey says:

I wish The Goldbergs would get some recognition. It’s such a funny show, but it’s getting overlooked most of the time.

My dream nominations:
    Veep
    The Comeback
    The Goldbergs
    Modern Family
    The Big Bang Theory

25. John says:

And people get mad about Emmy noms… This list is the proof that worst can be achieved. xD

PS To the Modern Family haters, last season was better than previous one according several critics (or anyone who actually watch it instead of copy/pasting same comments every year without trying new eps). So, logically at least a nomination should be a sure thing.
    PPS I love Ty Burrell too

26. Brigid says:

Parks & Rec
    The Goldbergs
    Black ish
    The Middle
    Brooklyn 99
    Modern Family (it was actually good this season)

27. Rose says:

My Personal top 7:

Modern Family (I’m with you it hasn’t deserved it in years, but this year was better– and it will probably win for the episode that took place on Claire’s laptop)
    The Middle (hilarious with an EXCELLENT cast– and this is coming from a huge Patricia Heaton hater)
    The Goldbergs (Dare you to watch it and not laugh out loud)
    The Comeback (This SHOULD win– most innovative, out of the box, best acted show since The Comeback 10 years ago)
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Instantly quotable, smart and laugh out loud funny)
    Parks and Rec (wonderful final season)
    The Big Bang Theory (Did a lot of character and story growth this season)

Gonna get nominated but not in my top 7: — Veep, Transparent, Orange is the New Black, Silcion Valley, Shameless, maybe Nurse Jackie, maybe last season of Two and Half Men and Mom.

• misery chick says:

@ Rose-ITA about ‘The Middle’ & also PH hater. Eden Sher is so adorable, but if I had to pick a favorite it would pick Charlie McDermott–even though he’s in his 20’s, his Axl hits every single note of the selfish, self-absorbed, bratty, entitled & indignant older brother with a rare, well-hidden sweetness that never fails to make me grin or laugh out loud 😆 😁 Charming show!

28. tvjunkie says:

I don’t watch any of those shows.

29. RUCookie says:

Why too many cable/service comedies on your list… here is mine (groan all you want):

Modern Family – I don’t care what “trend-setters” say, that show is consistently funny and relevant. It is my favorite, bar none.
    The Goldbergs – you can’t watch this and not laugh. The whole cast is golden.
    Grace and Frankie – my Netflix comedy that surprised the hell out of me – Lily and Jane play off each other like peanut butter and jelly. Its super.
    Jane the Virgin – original and has all the buzz. And its cute
    Veep – political satire at its best.

And feel free to add another that I don’t watch… I do not think Big Bang deserves it this year

30. ann says:

Togetherness.

31. Steven says:

You’re the Worst
    Parks and Recreation
    The Goldbergs
    Jane the Virgin
    Shameless
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Grace & Frankie

32. HAP says:

I agree with those folks who mentioned Grace and Frankie. But, the show was hampered by getting of to a very sluggish start. It probably took until episode 4 for it to hit its stride. By then, many people had given up on the show and stopped watching. That said, Fonda and Tomlin were schooling on how to act.

33. Britta Unfiltered says:

I think I have different taste in comedy than most people. My favorite seven are Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for the win (please someone make this happen), Veep, Louie, Shameless, Episodes, Grace and Frankie, and (whispers) Modern Family. This might be the first year I’ve ever had MF in my top picks, but there were a lot of episodes I liked a lot this year. But yeah, I would prefer it not win for a 5th year in a row. Because that means it would break the record set by Frasier. And Modern Family is not better than Frasier.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I should add last year I would have made sure Silicon Valley was in there, but I just haven’t been that into season 2. It doesn’t seem as funny as it used to be. I’m still waiting to find a scene as funny as in the first season when Ehrlich beat up the little kids who had bullied Richard, throwing one of their bikes over a hedge, and demanding they come back with Adderall. I thought that was the greatest scene to happen in a show during 2014.