Jeremy Renner Defends Hawkeye (in Song) on The Tonight Show — Watch

He may not have super-human strength or a sweet Nordic hammer, but The Avengers‘ Hawkeye still has plenty to offer the world — you know, like an Instagram account entirely devoted to his cat.

Taking aim at the critics who shoot down (tee hee!) his character’s usefulness in the Marvel Universe, Jeremy Renner crooned a defensive ditty — to the tune of Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud,” no less — during Tuesday’s The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.

Did you know Hawkeye was an extra in Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2? Were you aware he can open a pickle jar all by himself? Honestly, I’m starting to think this song is as educational as it is entertaining.

Hit PLAY on Renner’s performance above then drop a comment: Is this delightful number enough to make you forget that time Renner called Black Widow a “slut”?

1. Hawkeye and Widow don’t belong in these movies. It should have been Giant Man/Hank Pym and Wasp/Janet Van Dyne (which in Hawkeye’s case is ironic since in the comics he at one point became a Giant Man-esque hero called Goliath).

I suspect the reason they weren’t available is due to the Ant-Man movie, in which Hank is an older character and therefore not a contemporary of Stark, Banner, Thor, and Rogers.

2. Anna says:

I did not know he could sing like this! Whoa! Also, having seen Age of Ultron already (it came out in Germany last week), I can say that yes, he truly is as super as the others are.

3. John says:

Hawkeye is human, the fact that he can hold his own alongside the rest of them, is impressive. Sure he’s more likely to get hurt than the rest, but you can’t deny he has a very impressive skill set as an archer and a former S.H.I.E.L.D. Operative. Even he knows he shouldn’t be there amongst those guys, but he’s got a job to do & that’s what he does to the best of his ability. He’s badass in Age of Ultron and has some really great lines.

4. brenna says:

I like most of the superhero characters, but I tend to actually like the ones like Hawkeye and Arrow the best, because they have earned their incredible fighting abilities on their own. They didn’t have special gifts bestowed on them or rely on machines made by them. They are just awesome on their own!!

5. jbj says:

Didn’t he do something similar during his SNL monologue?

6. Mr. Tran K says:

Never knew Jeremy Renner is a talented singer. I remember he did the same musical talent when Mr. Renner hosted SNL back in November 2012 (Season 38).

• sanchopanza says:

I’d actually like to hear him sing, Hawkeye or no Hawkeye. That was marvelous. Right now I’m wishing I could hear more.

7. bill says:

Hey, he gets free guac! Not too shabby.

8. Sidney says:

¿Su nombre?: Linus Yale.

9. Carla Krae says:

Watched last night when it aired and this was awesome. So funny.

10. Mr. Tran K says:

Not only is Jeremy Renner returning as Hawkeye in Avengers: Age of Ultron but he will also be reprising his role as Brandt the analyst and field agent in Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation out July 31st. Don’t know if the Mission: Impossible movies are going to end in five.

11. Nina Daicu says:

well that was something … after my crapy day this is exactly what I needed for my day to get better … and about Renner’s comment I don’t thonk he meant it , besodes he and Cap apologized …