GH's Genie Francis Set to Return

General Hospital Genie Francis Return 2015

Laura Spencer is heading back to Port Charles.

Genie Francis, best known for playing half of General Hospital‘s Luke-and-Laura supercouple, will return to the ABC soap.

PHOTOS May Sweeps/Finale Preview! 100+ Spoilers and Exclusive Pics From Your Favorite Shows

GH executive producer Frank Valentini announced the news Wednesday via Twitter.

UPDATE: A rep for the show tells TVLine Francis will return “in a few weeks.” The show is not yet releasing any information what brings Laura back into the action.

“Genie is a part of our GH family and the door has always been open for her to return when the timing and story are right,” Valentini said in a statement. “Lucky for us, the stars have aligned and we are thrilled to welcome Genie back home.”

Francis last appeared on the daytime drama in 2013, when her fan-favorite character married — and later divorced — Scott Baldwin, then returned to her home in France.

RELATED The Bold and the Beautiful Casts Transgender Actor as Maya’s Mentor

Francis began playing Laura in 1976, was part of one of TV’s biggest spectacles when Laura married Luke in 1981, left GH in 1984, and has made several returns of varying lengths since then. She won a Daytime Emmy for the role in 2007.

Francis and her longtime co-star, GH‘s Anthony Geary, presented the Outstanding Drama Series trophy at the 2015 Daytime Emmy Awards last Sunday.

1. Melora says:

I think this is only to see Tony Geary off since he is rumored to be retiring

• Nadine Zimmerman says:

Thats a shame. I loved Laura, but they started to write her horribly, so I was glad when she was gone so long. I really came to enjoy the Luke and Tracy coupling, as Tracy has a personality and never a wounded dove, unlike laura. Im so torn, I love Luke an Tracy, but hate Luke as a character, and think AG is overrated. I hope they can find something to do with Tracy after he’s gone, cause she’s THE baddest B!tch in Port Charles.

2. bj says:

I love Genie but I’m also afraid they might have her back just to walk Tony into the sunset. She’s a great character and a terrific actress who has links to so many characters on GH. She’s one they should definitely keep.

3. shaw says:

After I started letting the episodes back up on my dvr once it got up to 16 episodes figured it was time to let GH go after 25 years. Sad. But welcome back, I still won’t b watching…

4. katrina says:

wont hold my breath for a long arch. it will probably be a few episodes like usual!

5. BrightLight says:

YAY! I figure since TG is supposed to be retiring, she might finally return. Honestly I’d be more than happy if TG left and GF stayed for the long haul. I’d much rather watch Lulu have scenes with her mama than watch her go see her daddy at the mental hospital. Actually there are a TON of stories they could do with just Laura. Heck put her back with Scotty, I’d don’t care as long as she gets to stay for more than an episode or two.

• BrightLight says:

I suspect this was going to be announced on the Daytime Emmys but they cut it since the show ran long. (I didn’t see it but apparently it ran long. Hilarious since anytime I ever watched it, it ran UNDER.) At least that’s what I thought when they suddenly announced her presenting with TG last week.

6. aph1976 says:

I’m not that surprised by Genie Francis returning to General Hospital because she was just at the Daytime Emmys.As for why Laura returns it most likely has to do with Luke and him dealing with his past.Plus her children Lulu and Nikolas may need Laura too.So i think Laura could be on through most of the Summer at least.

7. Dude says:

I hope he doesn’t end up with Laura because Luke is so much better with Tracy!

8. Bobby says:

That’s awesome. Love her!!!

9. wrstlgirl says:

Good news bad news. Every time they bring her back they botch it up horribly. Fingers crossed they actually have a story in mind for her this time around.

10. scotlore says:

Yay! Welcome back Genie!

11. alistaircrane says:

I can’t wait to see Luke and Laura reunite! They are daytime’s most iconic supercouple! I bet she will return during one of the live episodes in May, although if that’s true. they should have saved the announcement and surprised us.

12. N says:

I love Genie!

13. Iakovos says:

Please… a solid long romantic story that puts these two back together for good. I love Genie Francis in the role.

• I agree. Luke and Laura should walk into the sunset together. They are the loves of each other’s lives… I could never see Luke and Tracy together! No way!

• Sue McGee says:

I absolutely agree. They are the other’s true love, and I would love to see them end their run as Luke & Laura together, as an onscreen couple. Who cares if it’s not realistic? It’s daytime!

• Lori says:

Yes, if Tony is retiring, let he and Laura go off into the sunset, have Luke die off screen (within a couple of weeks) and let Laura return for her children and a new man….not Scott either! Although I like Scott he needs to be with Lucy. :) Also there are tons of stories left to tell about Laura.

14. joanne says:

awesome gglad she back

15. phonda says:

I am so happy shes returning..even if its a short run..i love General hospital..love jeannie..glad shes comeing back

16. Jan White says:

About time..when she and he got married then she left the show (back in Ice Princess days),thats when I stopped watching.

17. Matthew Farris says:

For the gazillionth time– TONY GEARY IS NOT RETIRING. He said he considered it before the Fluke story but has decided to stay at GH for now.

18. Dina Godsey says:

Im happy for her to be back. Now bring Steve Burton back as the real Jason

19. Judi Jackson says:

I can’t wait for Genie to come back! I’m not going to guess for how long or why, like they said the time is right! I’ve been seeing her on commericals on TV, she looks great! I’m looking forward to seeing her back in Port Charles!

20. CHERYL KLINK says:

Glad Genie is coming back to GH and hoping Luke stays with Tracy and doesn’t take to the high road .Been watching GH for over 50 years

21. sandy says:

WOW LUKE IS 68 YEARS OLD !!!

22. Joan Bindner says:

Yayyyyyyy!!!! FINALLY!!!!

23. jo says:

i just hope they treat her with the respect she deserves. and dress here way better than before.

24. Jusr Saying says:

Sorry since FV took over as head honcho, GH is the absolute worst it’s ever been. The Fluke storyline is a joke as is most of the new/retread cast. Every other month or two they bring back a ridiculous Cassadine from their 10th death or silly wittle Wobin Scworpio who hasn’t updated her hair or wardrobe since she was 16 yrs old. While Billy Miller is a great actor – he’s not the least convincing as a new Jason. And Roger could have been so much more than Franco – what a waste of great talent. They should have booked Kassie DePaiva to play Nina!! Time to clean house and dump the boring roles of Elizabeth, Scotty, Patrick, Lucy and the moronic rehash of the Nurses Ball playing Glee.

25. Florence says:

I love GH, I DVR it everyday, I have a problem, to much love scene between the gay couple.

26. AngieD says:

I agree with the others who write that Luke and Laura’s time as a couple is done. However, they will always share a past and a family together and I’d love to see that dynamic played out more, instead of keeping them separate. I wonder if Denise (aka Lesley Weber) will make any appearances, as well. I also don’t want to see Laura back with Scotty. There is a casting call for older male in a recurring role – so, maybe he’ll be someone for Laura….

Laura also shares Deception with Lucy.

27. Abe Froman says:

*sigh* Ron Carlivati will just f**k it up again.

28. Janis says:

She almost has to. She figured into his illness, I hope he slaps the crap out of him

29. Sharon says:

So excited!! Love Genie!!

30. Leza says:

Great we need some action

31. mari says:

I wish they brought Lucky back.

32. Erinn says:

As a really really longtime fan of GH, this makes me smile! Thank you for adding more happiness to my life!

33. Bill Sizemore says:

Maybe she can teach Geary how to act while she is there. End the dual role story line already and let Luke disappear.

34. valerie says:

Luke and Laura were the greatest soap couple of all time! Maybe when Jeannie returns to GH Luke and Laura can go on one more adventure before Tony Geary retires…..

35. Julie says:

For how long this time? On for maybe two weeks and off again for years. Old routine…

• lene0716 says:

Her visit lengths on GH were not her choice except for the 50th Anniversary. She left in 2013 because her half sister was dying. All the other returns were dictated by GH. Duh.

36. Tonya says:

I’m happy to know this congratulations! !!!!

37. Elizabeth says:

I’m so glad! I want to see Luke and Laura end up together. I have never seen chemistry as great as theirs, and I can’t buy either of them with anyone but each other. The best soap couple of all time.

38. Debbie says:

Yes yes yes let Luke and Laura walk in sunset as. Luke and Laura hope it ends a happy ending as that’s what that story deserves

39. Lin says:

Luke and Laura will always be the best couple on daytime TV, since the ’80’s!

40. Stephany says:

Wow!!! She’s a great actress!!! Good to see her back, its been a while!!!

41. Red Bear says:

Genie Francis to return GH.. Beautiful i just hope the writers will give her a strong storyline also more then crying bits. SHE IS GREAT ACTRESS LET HER SHOW HER STRONG TALENTS..

42. Terri Dershko says:

It’s been years since I appreciated anything Genie Francis has done. She seems like a desperate actress.

43. Bob says:

Anytime they bring Laura back, it’s always a short-lived gimmick. I have to assume this is too. I’ve been a big fan of hers on GH going back to 1976. The ‘Luke & Laura’ era was great back then, but does NOT belong in this era other than the two of them having reunion moments with LuLu.

Luke belongs with Tracy, not Laura, and she doesn’t belong with Scotty either. I’d like to see her have a real storyline, but like Felicia and Bobbi, they don’t give ‘women of a certain age’ must respect or airtime. On GH, Tracy and Alexis are the rare exceptions.

Of course what was I thinking stating they should give her a real storyline. I forgot for a second—she’s only going to be on a few days/weeks then be gone. It’s stunt casting for May sweeps—-that’s it; sorry folks.

44. If Tony is going to leave and retire it would be perfect to have Genie and Tony go to France. I am excited she is coming back. I will hate it when Tony retires the show will never be the same.

45. betty says:

Genie and Tony, best acting duo of all time. miss the days of Luke and Laura.

46. Joel says:

Thanks for getting her back , hope she stays longer this time. Love Her!!!

47. Well, if they paid the ‘Laura’ half of Luke-and-Laura as well as they paid the ‘Luke’ half, she would have been on their since the 1980’s, too. But, hooray, for GH’s Laura, Anna and Tracy (among others)! When male producers and directors tell them ‘You aren’t worth as much as a guy’, they go out and find another soap (and a lot more experience) to prove them wrong. Anybody recall Bare Essence or North and South? Genie didn’t have to settle within the genre, either. As some may recall, Anna was also the mother of P3 (Prue, Piper, Phoebe and Paige) on Charmed, so Genie wasn’t alone in escaping the genre. Watch out fellows! This next group of strong women may think outside that cute, little 9X5 box you think they are trapped inside of. You go, girls!!

48. Bob says:

49. Carol J says:

Wonderful News, Genie is a Great Actress. Very nice to have her back on GH for a little while! Thank you Frank Valentini

50. Neva says: