The Voice: Advice, Caveats and Dream Set Lists for the Season 8 Top 8

Season 8 of The Voice is getting hotter than the entire cast of Chicago Fire as they run into a burning building. (Ha! That metaphor works on two levels, no?)

Of course, with the number of contestant down in the single digits — and Team Adam down to a solitary singer — song choice, staging and styling are more vital than ever.

That’s why I’ve put together a handy gallery of each contestant’s strengths and weaknesses — along with a handful of suggested songs that could push them outside their safety zones and give them chances at breaking Twitter, iTunes and Carson Daly’s hyperbole receptors all at once.

Peruse the gallery below (or CLICK HERE for direct access) to see what I’ve cooked up for Sawyer, Kimberly, Koryn, Meghan and their Top 8 cohorts — then hit the comments with your own suggestions and dream set lists!

1. Lunakit says:

“His pitch has wandered more places in the last few weeks than a wealthy retired couple with a new Winnebago”…. :-)

2. KathyF says:

I would love to hear Kimberly Nicole sing “Midnight Radio” from “Hedwig and the Angry Inch.”

3. Dan says:

India – stop this train by John Mayer. Heard her do it with her a cappella group at ucla – magical.

4. Annie says:

I agree about giving Hannah something she can’t scream her way through. When she is on, I listen to a few lines and then hit mute for the remainder of the song. I love her energy. I love seeing how much she loves performing. I just wan to hear her actual singing voice vs screeching.

5. Sharon says:

Megan Lindsey was too screechy. I really don’t think she should stay on the show. This was not a good performance. Would I go to see her in a concert or buy her CD’s…..NO!

6. Margie Salazar says:

‘STAND TALL’ by BURTON CUMMINGS, formerly of The Guess Who. For Sawyer or Koryn…perfect for either!

7. DL says:

If Sawyer sticks around, would love him to sing ‘Runaway Train’ by Soul Asylum. It would give him a chance to show a little diversity without being completely outside his acoustic centered wheelhouse. And his voice could really command attention on this tune.

• Cip says:

so funny you should say that. I heard that song on the radio coming home from work the other day and thought the same thing! Great song for him. Even though it’s over 20 years old, it doesn’t feel that way. Other great songs for him would be ‘Babylon” by David Gray or ‘Into the Mystic’ by Van Morrison. I know it’s an older song, but it’s so beautiful and it’s a classic

8. Edward says:

I’ve been anticipating this post by Slezak.
    Here are my picks:
    Kimberely- Black Sheep by Gin Wigmore, Only Love can hurt like this by Paloma Faith, Hold On by Alabama Shakes, Stay by Sugarland, Addicted to you by Avicii
    Sawyer – Come Get it Bae by Pharell, Let it go by James Bay, Chasing Cars by Sleeping at Last (Cover), Heat of Passion by WIll Champlin (Voice Alum), Hero by Family of the Year
    Koryn – Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri, You Lost Me by Christina Aguilera, Bottom of the River by Delta Rae, Tattooed Heart by Ariana Grande
    India – Pretty Hurts by Beyonce, On my Own (Les Mis.), Comsic Love by Florence and the Machine, I Know Where I’ve Been (Hairspray), Hate on Me by Jill Scott
    Joshua- Have I told you Lately by Rod Stewart, Something about the way you look tonight by Elton John, Beast of Burden by Rolling Stones, First Cut is the Deepest by Sheryl Crow
    Meghan- Mama’s Broken Heart by Miranda Lambert, The Winner takes it all by Queen, Broken Wing by Martina Mcbride

9. Both Kina AND Beth Hart references – YOU ROCK MICHAEL!

10. donavans hurdy gurdy man should be highly considered. if sawyer wants to win sing ‘mr. tambourine man’byrds version turned into his own slant. thanx, clark Dickerson