Exclusive

Mentalist DVD Sneak Peek: Who Was 'Scared' About Jane/Lisbon Hook-Up?

Loading video...

The Mentalist‘s Patrick Jane/Teresa Lisbon romance of course ended with “happily ever after,” but which of the two series leads was nervous about the partners in crimesolving (finally) hooking up?

The Mentalist: The Complete Seventh And Final Season arrives on DVD this Tuesday, and above TVLine has an exclusive clip from a new featurette — “Patrick Jane: An Uncommon Man,” which recounts how “a carnie and a cop” fell in love.

In the video, Simon Baker and Robin Tunney each share their candid thoughts about Jane and Lisbon pursuing a relationship after six years of “Will they/Won’t they” tension, and the “delicate nature” of that storyline.

When all is said and done, are you glad The Mentalist went down that road?

1. Lizo says:

I don’t think there was any ‘will they won’t they’ tension for most of the show. Which I appreciated. The writers never really envisioned Lisbon and Jane getting together and so their relationship started as colleagues, then friends, then a deep platonic love that moved into romantic love. I really liked that; it felt organic and not forced. They weren’t dragging it out (like other shows) so when they did start moving towards romance, I really rooted for them and felt it.

• Lisa says:

This is so accurate. I can imagine others seeing it differently, but this is exactly what I felt and loved too.

• BostonGreekGirl says:

I totally agree. I really enjoyed watching their relationship grow over the years. I think they ended it perfectly.

2. Abby says:

I still have mixed feelings about it.

3. Heather says:

Spoiler-
    I didn’t mind them getting together but her being pregnant at the end felt cliche /corny

4. Mary says:

I never “felt” them as a couple, I never any chemistry in that sense – colleagues, good friends yes, but nothing else. Actually, if they were written as brother/sister I would totally buy it:)

• Mable says:

I agree. It felt like at the end of S6 they hinted at their feelings. The kiss at the end was enough for me. S7 relationships stuff seemed forced, like the writers didn’t know what else to do with the little time they had. Lisbon seemed very out of character and stiff. The marriage and baby at the end was corn ball/cheesy. For me, The Mentalist ended when Jane killed Red John.

• It should have ended when he shot Timothy Carter as it was a much better ending. Bradley Whtiford put on a great performance as Red John and we got just as many answers as we did the second time (which is to say, none). Thomas McAllister fit none of the clues we were given in the first 5 seasons of the show and only appeared once (in the 2nd episode of the show) before the endgame started. Brett Partridge should have been Red John. Instead, the show threw away its legacy with the McA Debacle.

• grys03 says:

Agreed. The Red John saga was wonderfully paced until the writers couldn’t work out how to resolve it. It just didn’t make sense nor did it leave me filled with a “yes! got him!” feeling. Too bad because it was built up really well.

As for Lisbon & Jane getting together, I didn’t hate it but honestly felt they were more brother & sister connected.

• Kim R says:

I felt the same way. I never got there with them as a couple and I agree that if they had been written as related it would have seemed totally believable to me.

• ed says:

What are you talking about? Related? If that’s how you think a brother and sister look at each other and act around each other then that’s pretty creepy.

• I never danced with my sisters like that.

5. Mary says:

Edit: I never saw any…

6. Sophie says:

I rooted for them so much as a couple and was so happy when they became one. Then on season seven, the sexual tension was gone. It was weird, they were an actual couple then, but it lacked passion and those long looks they used to give each other. It was a little disappointing..

7. Janet Moody says:

Think it’s great that Jane and Lisbon got together to complete the circle in the mentalist….I liked the show…they just kept switching nights to bad….

8. Jo says:

I’m definitely glad they ended up together. I wish they would have had a full 22 episode final season, so it would have felt less rushed. I love that she was pregnant at the end, it brought the show full circle from where it began. I thought the relationship felt very natural and organic, it wasn’t forced at all. It was definitely more subtle than some shows, but I found that refreshing, I don’t need romance shoved down my throat in every episode, and they definitely didn’t do that. I never ever felt a brother/sister vibe between them at all, once Red John was dead it seemed natural that they would finally be able to be together.

9. Jo says:

I just wanted to add, the relationship I didn’t like was Rigsby and Van Pelt, they were so boring together. And their dialog always felt so forced and phony. They weren’t fun to watch like Jane and Lisbon, they didn’t have the same witty banter. Rigsby had much more chemistry with Cho, their scenes were great, and when he was with Van Pelt he didn’t have as many scenes with Cho, and it hurt the show.

10. DarkDefender says:

Thanks for the clip, Matt (and TVLine). I quite enjoyed season 7, from beginning to end and it will likely be the only other season I will own (season 1 was great too).

11. dianne says:

There will never be another program like the mentalist. Absolutely brilliant. TV wont be the same without it. Thank god for reruns. I will watch it again & again. Very sad its ending. Good luck in there future ventures.