The Messengers' 'Wild Card' Anna Diop: 'We Answer Everything' This Week

The Messengers Spoilers

Still scratching your head after last week’s question-heavy series premiere of The CW’s The Messengers? Just have faith — pun intended — because star Anna Diop promises that Friday’s follow-up episode (9/8c) has you covered.

“We answer everything,” Diop tells TVLine, “and a lot of that is done through [my character] Rose.”

Yes, that Rose — the one who was shot seven years ago (“There’s nothing like being shot on camera,” Diop notes) and remains in a coma to this very day. Well, she’s waking up tonight, and she’s got quite a few truth bombs to drop on the show’s titular team.

“Rose is the wild card of the Messengers,” Diop explains. “She’s different from the others in that, when she comes back to life, she knows exactly what it is that we have to do, what our task is. While everyone else is confused by what’s going on, she understands their mission.”

The Messengers SpoilersThat mission, though it hasn’t been revealed on-screen just yet, is to find the Devil and prevent the Apocalypse, a topic Diop admits she needed to research a bit before stepping into her role.

“It’s loosely based on the Book of Revelation, Chapter 9, so I read that,” Diop says. “I didn’t grow up reading the Bible … but that story appears in some way in all the major religions, so I was familiar with it. Still, I definitely did read that part of the Bible to get a better idea of our world.”

And while Rose “absolutely has moments where she doesn’t know if they’re doing the right thing,” it remains her responsibility to play “Mother Hen” to the Messengers, keeping them focused and on the right track. As Diop explains, “She can only work as well as the group, itself.”

Tell us: Are you keeping up with The Messengers? Drop a comment with your thoughts on The CW’s newest supernatural drama below.

1. Cory says:

Can’t wait. The premiere was awesome, actually I’d rank it in my top 3 favorite broadcast premieres of this past season. Not sure why it bothers so many people that it didn’t explain everything right away, I loved that. I hope tonight doesn’t answer ALL the major questions, leave some mystery.

2. Nik says:

When I saw the trailer I was very excited but then I saw the first ep and it was questionable, I’m giving it a try although not a fan because it’s not really truthful. It’s going off of Revelations and that’s ok but there main goal is to stop the rapture from happening an that’s never going to happen. So I guess I’m not too happy because their not really going by the book. I have a strong feeling that CW is going to mess this show up like they do the rest with a whole lot of sex and foolishness. Please at least keep it PG.

• alex says:

nevermind the other greivous things you said. (i like the show and i’m a witch. oh and i think the guy playing the devil is very sexy and i would probably still bone him IRL if he was actually the devil) but in what universe is the apocalypse a PG event? is it PG for people to get shot point blank? what about the destruction of the planet? not PG. and no your kids should not be watching it and no one should make it PG for your kids. stop exposing your kids to brainwashing and let them watch cartoons and have fun. i teach my little brothers about spirituality all the time without showing them violent or foreboding imagery.

3. larrykelly says:

Pilot was good, but the second episode took a flying jump over the shark. What a mess!

4. adg says:

After seeing Episode 3, I think they are milking out the series too much. I found flaws in the show already, many insult a person’s intelligence along with the illogical things being done. The writers seem to lack common sense on the true behavior. Unless they beef up this show, it will not go on very much longer. If I were to go on with all the flaws of the show, I would have a website larger than one page. The Flash is better than this show, and Resurrection is better. I am a bit disappointed in the process of this storyline. Let’s put it this way, perhaps the people writing Game of thrones, would have written it better.

5. marilyn dundas says:

This was one of the many shows we need on TV it was creative and things that God has planned the violence is so often viewed and this is what we need more of why was it canceled shows like supernatural needs to be canceled please let it come back I loved it please don’t let it be canceled the way it ended wasn’t fair to take it off

6. Sandy Mecca says:

Man I’m so upset that it’s over! I wish they good bring the show back! It was my favorite show😭

7. Trust says:

This is the 1st in my top ten list of my favourite series movie. I wish it shall be continued cuz i think most people lyk watching all this revelations movies lyk dominion, d bible, d supernatural and so many of dem. I wish dat cw shud see the beauty of that movie and let it b continud. So i cant wait watch d next dats if my should com tru.