Vampire Diaries Recap: Double Dose

Vampire Diaries Recap

Caroline’s tour of terror finally reached its end on Thursday’s Vampire Diaries — and that wasn’t even the craziest part of the game-changing hour.

No, that honor goes to a vengeful Lily handing the cure for vampirism over to Elena, telling her, “Damon was never going to offer it to you.” (That’s cold, Mama Salvatore. Real cold.)

But rather than ignite yet another fight between the show’s “it” couple — I got worried when Elena started whining about things getting “complicated” — Lily’s revelation led to Damon surprising Elena, and the viewers, with a shocking proposition: He wants them both to take the cure!

“I want you to live in a big city and be a surgeon and have a family,” he told her, adding, “But I’m selfish and I’m so in love with you and I don’t want to lose you.”

While this sounds, in theory, like the perfect solution to Elena and Damon’s eternal struggle, Nina Dobrev exiting the series by her lonesome adds a layer of trickiness to it all. As much as I’d love to see Damon struggle with his newfound humanity, what would be the point of Elena leaving without him? So. Many. Questions!

Vampire Diaries CarolineINTERVENTION IMPOSSIBLE | As I mentioned earlier, Stefan was eventually able to reawaken Caroline’s humanity this week, but you can bet your sweet ass…cendant it wasn’t a smooth process. It wasn’t until Caroline was forced to confront the loss of her mother all over again, courtesy of a series of heartbreaking visions, that Stefan broke through to her. And by the time the dust settled, Caroline had burned a letter sent to her posthumously by Sheriff Forbes, which means she’ll never know her mother’s final wishes for her future. (Does anyone have a Ms. Cuddles I can borrow? This episode was a lot to deal with.)

MOMMY FEAREST | We’ve heard a lot about Lily’s ripper side, but we haven’t really seen it in action… until now. Enzo reunited with Mama Salvatore at the end of the hour, only to discover that she’d unleashed the beast on an unsuspecting motorist. I suppose I should take solace in knowing that she felt badly about killing the guy, but her regret doesn’t make me worry any less about her future actions; that lady is crazy! (That said, how hysterical was the lunch scene between Lily and Enzo? Her utter confusion when the waitress asked her about “skins” was the highlight of the episode for me, to be honest.)

BAD. ASS. BONNIE. | I think I speak for everyone when I say, “Three cheers for Bonnie Bennett.” That girl has been through hell this season, and I loved watching her stand up to Damon. “For the first time, I’m choosing me!” she barked at the panicked Salvatore, who feared — and rightfully so — that Bonnie would destroy the Ascendant, thus killing his chance of giving the cure to Elena. (Guess he was worried for nothing!)

All right, TVD fans, let’s talk about this week’s episode: Do you think Damon and Elena will both take the cure? What’s next for Caroline? And how impossibly adorable are Alaric and Jo? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Morgan says:

How come no one’s realized yet that if Damon takes the cure he’ll wither and die just like Katherine did? :-D Which pretty much means he won’t! I’m reading twitter and the ladies seem to be freaking out!

• Ari says:

No, Katherine only died because Silas drank the cure from her. She would have been fine if he hadn’t.

• Annie says:

Actually Julie Plec has stated that a vampire ages physically to match their actual age when they take the cure so this isn’t going to work

• Fran says:

Out of curiosity, where did she say that?

• Luna says:

I remember this as well. She said that at a panel somewhere, and If I’m not mistaken even in the show this was brought up. If Damon takes the cure he’ll die. That’s why I’m sure he’s lying to Elena. She will take it thinking he’ll too.

• Luna says:

But I did some research and now I’m really confused. I found this in the TVD wiki “The Cure when ingested by a doppelgänger converts the blood of the given doppelgänger, causing it to become a liable candidate for a single dose if ingested and if the doppelgänger in question had lived beyond human years, the post-Cure effects would begin to cause him/her to age and eventually die as happened with Katherine Pierce. ”
            I swear I don’t remember Julie Plec saying this would only happen with doppelgangers, I’ll keep doing my research to find where she said that would happen with any vampire. But anyway, they can always change stuff, I don’t even know anything anymore.

• Fran says:

Yeah I keep getting conflicting information on that. Katherine didnt start to age until Silas took the cure from her blood and the show doesn’t seem to mention the aging thing when talking about it now… I’m not sure they’re even clear on what’s right and what’s wrong.

• Ari says:

Then what is the point of even having a cure? Honestly, that’s so ridiculous if Plec sticks with it.

• steph morris says:

no actually, she wouldn’t have been because as that science guy stated, the aging was gradually catching up with her, it just so happened no physical signs of aging happened until after silas drank from either, but either way weather it is physically drank from the bottle, or from blood, they transform gradually into their age , meaning unless plec creates a new theory, damon will die within a few months of taking it, just like katherine.

• Kayla says:

Is there more then 1 cure? I thought only 1 person could take it!!!

• Jikk says:

That’s what I was thinking!!! He will die! And what happened to the cure being only one dose? Yeah I’m confused

2. Dmac says:

Of course Elena wouldn’t be upset that Damon was keeping the cure from her. He killed her brother twice and she jumped backed into bed with him, this is just Damon looking out for her well being. LOL

3. Chris says:

If you saw the promo for next week, I think that’s what Stefan means when he tell Damon not to take the cure.

4. Amber says:

As much as I would love for Damon and Elena to both take the cure and be human together, I doubt it’s happening since only Nina is leaving the show. Wouldn’t make sense if they both took it and then Elena leaves or something without Damon. Sigh. I don’t see this ending well for Delena fans. Or Stelena either. Seems like it’s gonna be bad all around, really.

5. Madison says:

LOVED this episode, evoked more emotions in me than I’ve felt in a while. Anyone else bawling and crying during that flashback with Liz and Stefan? I can’t take it, I need more Steroline, more Caroline, more Bonnie, more Delena, more EVERYTHING. I just loved everything about it. Great episode.

• Curly Girly says:

OMG, Caroline’s cry face (when she was standing at the door of her mother’s home) was TRAGIC. That made me tear up for sure. Great acting by Candace in the last couple of episodes! From cold-hearted biatch to a sobbing mess! (me too, by the end of the episode!)

• Jem says:

Really?..because I just got tired and bored.

6. d says:

Can we just talk about what would actually happen in Elena takes the cure? I know Klaus currently occupies his own show, but wouldn’t her becoming human again make her his human bloodbag? And then she’d be the dopelganger again…so I’m not totally clear on how this would work out

• Raveena says:

Kalus doesn’t need Elena anymore. His child is capable of creating hybrids if he wanted them. He doesn’t have a need for them though, now he has a family and his own problems.

• Your statement has a slight flaw in it. His child can create hybrids, but those hybrids would not be sired to Klaus they would be sired to the child as we saw how the one that was turned into a hybrid at the cabin in the bayou reacted when Hayley said that Tyler was going to hurt her and the child. The hybrid tried to kill Tyler. So they would not be sired to Klaus, and that is no where near as good. As Hayley and Klaus rarely see eye to eye, there is a good chance that she would be able to sway their child into listening to her and not Klaus. And Klaus will want an army of hybrids instantly after he is undaggered, since he has no one else that he can trust.

So he will need his own sired hybrids, and not hybrids that are under someone else’s control. This would be a good way to get her off the show. She takes the cure and decides that it would be best for everyone if she moved away to pursue her dreams. She goes to live with her brother Jeremy. Klaus finds out and abducts her on the drive to see her brother. Drains her blood and then places her back in the car and sets up a fake car accident scene, using some blood from someone else to make it look like it’s hers. So the lack of blood won’t cause any questions to arise and tip others off to what he did. Then secretly start making his own hybrid army to use as a secret weapon that no one knows about.

• Jose says:

If you are up to date with The Originals You`d know Klaus has something going through that won’t allow him to even think of Elena

7. Former Fan says:

Wow just when you think this show can’t get any worse, this episode happens. No words to describe how awful that episode was. This show has become a very boring version of Days of Our Lives. I’m not sure why the writers felt they needed to completely ruin Damon as a character but they have successfully done so. Good luck getting people to watch this next year!

8. Amy says:

Maybe no one takes the cure and this is all a red herring. There’s been a lot of spirits jumping into bodies lately (Luke into Kai, Rebecca on the Originals along with Finn, mother Esther, and Kol too). What if Elena occupies Bonnie? Elena is on the verge of death from something (maybe the cure is poisoned or from something Kai did) and Bonnie tries to save her with her magic. Bonnie’s sacrifice lets her spirit finally move on to Gran and Elena’s spirit is transferred into Bonnie’s body. It seems like they worked hard to make Damon and Bonnie friends and then really close, so now Elena is still with Damon, but in Bonnie’s body? Very crazy but could work. Delena would still exist but with a new dynamic

9. Raveena says:

Has anyone noticed that in the pictures of Ninas final days on set, her hair was STRAIGHT? You know like when she was human?????? So I’m pretty sure she’ll take it.

10. AnnieM says:

Call me sentimental, but I was hoping the letter Caroline burned would turn out to be a fake one inside the ‘real’ envelope, with the real letter safely hidden somewhere. ::sigh:: Well…anyway… YAY Bonnie!!

11. m3rcnate says:

To all the VD fans who whined and moaned and complained and b*tched about how disgusting it was for the show to be killing off Caroline’s mother to get Caroline and Stefan together, i hope you realize now how stupid and immature that was. These past few episodes have really been an amazing arc for Caroline, and really showcased the actresses talent. I thought it has been beautiful and though yes it was the catalyst for them getting together/going to get together, so far that has been like 10% of the story, the other 90% has been Caroline’s personal feelings and heartache over losing her mother, her introspection then her flipping her switch.

12. zed says:

Thank you writers for Ms Bonnie Bennett!! Best female character on TVD!

13. They are setting everything up for Damon and Stephan to leave Mystic Falls. One other character might go with them.

Elana – Takes Cure and Leaves show
    Jeremy – Already left
    Tyler – Already left
    Matt – Didn’t want healed or anything to do with vampires. It’s H vs. V in his book, so he is done and is breaking away from them all.
    Rick – Getting married, and is a plain, boring character now
    Bonnie – Says she is putting herself first, They have been alienating her from Damon and basically everyone else also. Will most likely die by Mrs. Salvator’s hands.
    Damon’s Mother – Will most likely try to force Bonnie to take her to the prison world and I think they will have Bonnie die when she tries to kill Mrs. Salvator instead of casting the travel spell, or Bonnie takes her and they kill each other in the prison world.
    Liz – Died
    Caroline’s Father – Died
    Caroline – Could go either way, but has nothing really left in Mystic Falls except Heart ache. She will side with Bonnie and deal with the people she killed and her mother’s death, have a change of heart and contact Klaus for support from someone outside of their group, or she will leave with Stephan and Damon.
    Enzo – He is a drifter and it matters little of where he lives, and has not hung out with Damon since he has been back from the prison world. He might get his fun friend back when Elana is out of the picture.

This show has played out Mystic Falls. I was hoping that they would of not turned Stephan’s and Caroline’s humanity back on so quickly, and instead had Elana take the cure… Damon devastated… Damon flips his humanity… Enzo is ready to have fun with or without flipping his humanity… Stephan, Damon, Enzo, and Caroline move to New York, Seattle, or Los Angeles… or some other big city and delve into a season of evil…

• Wendy says:

Damon was lying. He may really want her fantasy life; but he’s not going to take the cure. He said that so Elena will take the cure. Damon will sacrifice his happiness for Elena’s dream, proving his unselfish twoo wuv for her.

“You made me Matt Donovan in your fantasy.” He’s going to glamour Elena so she will transfer her feelings for Damon onto Matt, and they will leave town together. Matt’s had no story for ages. Tyler, Matt and Elena leaving town together works for me.

14. CC says:

Maybe I’m missing something here, but how can they both take it when it’s only enough for one person?? I distinctly remember that plot twist when they were on the (god-awful) island with Silas. Are they going to chance going to the 1903 prison world where Kai and the crazy witch/vamps are to retrieve the other one?

• 221bsam says:

That’s an interesting prospect.

• Guest says:

Thank you!!! I thought I was the only one confused as heck on how they are both going to take the cure when there is only enough for one! After that episode ended on that note the first word out of my mouth was “stupid”. Now if they do go back to the other prison world then it makes a bit more sense but not much. I still never got why they could take things (like the knife joe put her magic in) from the past and remove them but in present day they are still in said original places. That’s beside the point though haha.

• Winry says:

If Damon takes the cure, he will simply drink from Elena, the same way Silas drank from Katherine. And the prison worlds are alternate realities where everything is duplicated.

15. 221bsam says:

Ok so when I heard Nina was leaving the show I decided I wouldn’t be watching any more & these last couple of episodes are definitely why. I feel like we the viewers are being emotionally blackmailed into wanting Elena to become human again, as someone said last week, Elena wants to become her Father, become a Doctor, get married & have children *yawn!* ~ how dull is that? Damon won’t take the cure, I think Elena will & he’ll compel her away from him, we’ve all guessed it, don’t know why the writers won’t just confirm. I could totally see a flipped switch Damon for season 7, have fun with that Ian, I don’t see many will still be watching. Candice is a wonderful actress, except for one thing, I get yeah she can sing but why do we have to hear her? I feel the same way about Katharine McPhee on Scorpion, you were on SMASH (I loved that show) we know you can sing… anyhoo, she’s a great actress but, I don’t see her as the lead actress, sorry… also; anyone else find it a little icky we seem to be heading for a Lily & Enzo pairing? Bonnie still doesn’t interest me, Stefan didn’t really this week either, all in all a bit meh!

16. sophiedimotaki says:

Is anyone forgetting the fact that in the previous season … The cure was said to be enough for just one person ? How could it be enough for two now ?

• nosense says:

There is no logic with this show….I stopped questioning plot holes along time ago. As soon as I see the finale I’m done.

17. Sophie says:

Even if Damon goes back to 1903 and gets another cure for himself and takes it, won’t time just catch upto him, and eventually leave him with the same fate as Katherine? I don’t understand. The rules should still be the same for Damon.

18. Diz says:

Why can’t Bonnie just undue the burning of the letter?

19. lisa says:

Where did they get another cure from? I thought Elena shoved the only one down Katherine’s throat. And also, Damon is almost 200 years old. Won’t he age and die??

20. Re: The cure ‘plot hole’ – when a doppelganger takes the cure, their blood turns into the cure – and all of the people who have so far ingested the cure on this show ARE doppelgangers – Katherine, Silas, Amara. The ageing process doesn’t begin until after the cure has been drained from the person in whose bloodstream it is, and the extent of ageing is only the number of years you’ve been immortal, which in Elena’s case isn’t a whole lot. So if Damon takes the cure from her body, she’ll age up a few years, and Damon will be immortal for so long as no one feeds off him, so he just has to ensure that doesn’t happen.

21. Kristie says:

This might be a stupid question or i just missed something… how can damon take the cure as well if elena drank it?? did she leave some over and what did she do with it?? Because they continue arguing about it after she took it about him also taking it, but how??

22. Kristie says:

Nevermind… got the answer.