Scandal Recap: Jake's Fate Revealed

Scandal Is Jake Dead

The following story contains spoilers from this Thursday’s Scandal. Proceed at your own risk…

This week on ABC’s Scandal, Olivia & Co. did their best to fix bloody, bloody Jake, Mellie ran into her first real hurdle as a senatorial candidate and Rowan unleashed the show’s umpteenth ominously code-named plan.

Long story short: Jake juuuuuust barely survived the attack by B613 operative Russell, who missed major arteries but hit a lung. With Charlie’s help, Olivia, Huck, Quinn and David get Jake to a “mob doctor” type who as payment wants Olivia to “handle” a situation for him, by getting an assassin friend out of servitude to Mother Russia.

Liv meets the deadly “Black Sable” aka “Mary Peterson” aka Mike’s mom from Mike & Molly and then tracks down her handler, for the purpose of offering him a blank check to let her go free. Nyet! Later, they return to offer him the name of Command and the B613 boss man’s burner phone, to be a hero to Putin. But all that does is get Mary and her young charges (kids? grandkids?) killed. What’s more, the handler himself turns up dead in Olivia’s trunk by the time she exits Mary’s crime scene of a house. Rowan then rings his daughter to remind, “You will never win.”

Back at the makeshift operating theater, the doc bails, seeing as his “payment” bounced, while Liv declares to the team that their affront against B613 is done, finito, over, a dead parrot. But that was all just a bit of theater for nearby Russell, KERRY WASHINGTONwho has been recuperating alongside (and occasionally trying to kill kill) Jake. Because that night, all cozy on her bed, Olivia pulls a gun on her lover and demands answers, including about Rowan’s mysterious new “Defiance” “Albatross” “Remington” “Foxtail” initiative.

Meanwhile on the campaign trail…

Mellie battles the perception (thanks, Sally!) that it’s improper if not illegal for a senator to be married to the President of the United States. The first bid to nip that in the bud sends Cyrus to be a guest on Sally’s news program, where he effectively charges her with misogyny by not allowing the First Lady to hold a job — after all, would Sally have expected First Gentleman Daniel Douglas, “God rest his soul,” to not keep busy? (Cy also delivers an on-point speech about “mom” not being a job, as the old saw goes, but something much greater.) Sally lamely parries with the suggestion that Cy is bitter and deems himself more worthy of a senate run, but I don’t know if that stuck/is true or not.

Even so, Mellie’s numbers still aren’t so great, so Fitz puts in a call to Olivia (they used to have a “thing” back in the day, remember??) and she ultimately offers the suggestion that Mellie play up her access to the White House. That spin works wonders with the Virgina voters that matter but, as Cy warns Abby, will leave them with the legacy of a “whipped president.”

What did you think of “First Lady Sings the Blues” and Jake’s miraculous, Lazarus Pit-free survival?

1. Jessica says:

At least he wasnt dead too, couldnt have handled that right after Greys!

2. kn1231 says:

I was too caught off guard with Greys tonight to really pay attention to Scandal tonight. But from the bits I did catch, it seems like nothing really happened. Besides Jake being alive, but we all knew that was going to happen.

3. bar says:

Thank goodness. Olivia has to have Jake to balance out her love for Fitz. I really enjoy her dynamic with both love interests this season.

4. Amy says:

We live in a weird Shonda world where McDreamy dies but multiple-stab-wounds-Jake doesn’t. Sigh.

5. Sean says:

That Cyrus vs. Sally battle was fantastic.

6. Cheyenne says:

I’m pissed. We were supposed to get 22 episodes this season. It looks like we’re only getting 21. What’s up with that?

7. C. says:

This would require a Scandal deep dive to be certain, but I’m pretty sure that Foxtail is Olivia’s secret service code name.

8. Eileen Hargis says:

Whats up with Shonda, anyway. PD signs a newc9ntract just a couple of weeks ago, and she kills him off? Has her success gone to her head???????

• Nate says:

Patrick Dempsey did NOT just sign a contract. He signed a 2 year contract last year, and then negotiated his way out of it. It was his decision to leave, not Shonda’s.

• melle says:

Yeap. And even when PD signed 2 yrs ago, he said it would HAVE to allow him ample time to focus on his racing career or he wouldn’t sign again… That’s really where his heart is… Dempsey Racing.

Honestly, I’m just glad Jake isn’t dead. This way maybe he can come back. It was NOT Scott Foley’s choice to leave.

I just don’t understand Shonda. Like ever.

I really wanted Olivia with Jake and to tell Fitz to kiss off.

• I don’t know where you got that info from, but I just read a long interview that Patrick Dempsey gave to Entertainment Weekly, and he made it clear that it was not his decision to go, and that he was surprised by this development. He says the decision was made in February or March, there was no discussion about it, and once the decision was made (implying that it was made by Shonda Rhimes, not him), things moved very quickly. I also heard that he had been having arguments with Shonda, and she has done this to actors in the past who pissed her off – e.g., T.R. Knight, Katherine Heigl. She has been very open about the fact that she’ll fire anyone she doesn’t get along with, and that’s what she did here. I think she underestimated PD’s popularity, though. I think she’s going to lose a lot of viewers for this one. This is the first time she’s actually fired the star of the show. We’ll see what happens next year.

• bar says:

This is a story about Scandal, yo…

9. Kay says:

I’d rather of had Jake die than McDreamy

10. Cheyenne says:

I loved how Olivia went all badass on Russell at the end of this episode. He must be some kind of putz anyway. How could he sit on top of a guy, stab him umpteen times, and only hit one vital organ?

11. Sharie says:

It is truly too bad that every TV writer is imitating Game of Thrones by killing off main characters to shock viewers. Shonda really doesn’t have to resort to copying.

• Wordsmith says:

Check your timelines: Shonda’s been killing off main characters since long before Game of Thrones hit the airwaves.
      Some people would probably accuse Shakespeare of copying George R.R. Martin…

• TV Gord says:

Ha! Nicely done!

• ProfessorPreis says:

And George R.R. Martin was killing off main characters in A Song of Ice and Fire long before Grey’s Anatomy hit the airwaves. And the Shakespeare comparison doesn’t fit – he wrote individual plays, not ongoing series.

• Wordsmith says:

Grey’s Anatomy is on TV. A Song of Ice and Fire is literature, like the plays of Shakespeare. My comparison is exactly as flawed as yours. If you really want to chase this argument to the logical limits, either everything is original, or everybody is really copying the Ancient Greeks…

12. Darcel says:

I hated this episode. I wish Jake was gone. Him and Papa Pope. I wish there were more interaction between Olivia and Fitz. I am tired of crumbs.

13. AddieM says:

14. Alichat says:

First….let me say that I am still BORED OUT OF MY MIND with Rowan. They really need to wrap up this B613 crap. With that said, I’m glad Jake isn’t dead because I adore Scott Foley. But this episode….where did Olivia get the burner phone? Am I forgetting something? And how did Russell get word to Rowan about Kostya when Liv had smashed his phone at the hospital? If he’d had another phone on him, Huck would have found it. And if he is B613 and was asked by Rowan to kill Jake, why would he miss all the vital organs except a lung? He stabbed Jake…what….15 times, and only hit a lung? Is he the most inadequate B613 member and Rowan was using that inadequacy for some weird, elaborate plan? And why would Putin want to reactivate an agent who is now an AARP member?

• ejdax37 says:

Papa Pope dropped it off when he went to Olivia to “hire” her for a job to fix his problem. The whole speech about him just being a lowly palaeontologist. He left it on the table for her as he went out the door.

• shunda1177 says:

He stabbed Jake…what….15 times, and only hit a lung?

RIGHT!!! That was my first thought. This guy is supposed to be a trained killer and all he hit was a lung?! Seriously…

• No USA says:

Russell botched the job because he was busy trying to the degrade Jake instead killing him. that’s why stabbed him 15 times rather than just cut his throat

• Cheyenne says:

That’s what I thought. Or maybe this guy is a new recruit. Don’t forget Rowan has been shutting B613 down by taking out all his agents. Maybe Russell hasn’t been trained properly yet. One slice across the jugular and Jake would have been toast. Russell wasn’t acting like a professional at all, he was acting more like a spoiled child trying to prove how big and bad he is.

• herman1959 says:

Hey guys, you do realize that this is Sweeps Week; that’s why Russell couldn’t kill Jake. You have to hand it to Shonda – she made people tune in for Sweeps without losing a major character…crafty Shonda. Anyway, hey Michael A.: TOLD YA!

• Totally agree on Rowan. And everybody says what a great actor he is. I think he is the worst actor on the show. He is so over the top it makes me ill. With these monologues he chews the scenery through, all he needs is to be twirling his mustache,

15. Ellie says:

Yeah! Jake lives!
    Papa Pope is one bad dude

16. wdb says:

Yeah Jake is not dead. Now we have to get rid of papa Pope.

17. Przykład three: Podatnik kupił samolot dnia 1 czerwca 2014 roku
    i sprzedał go 15 grudnia tego roku.

18. Absurdist says:

I keep hoping that Sally will get some sense and stop messing with the people who know about her husband’s death. I guess she’s just a plot device at this point, though.

Cyrus throwing Daniel in Sally’s face was CHOICE, though.

19. ? says:

Told y’all. Jake’s not getting killed by Olivia’s random hook-up. It would take a room full of assassins, a bomb, a noble and heroic achievement seconds before, and then a villain the caliber of Papa Pope himself pulling the trigger to kill Jake.

20. niloofar says:

I’m so happy Jake survived, Olivia’s beside worry was nice to see.
    :) :) :)

21. niloofar22 says:

Papa Pope is like Percy on Nikita

22. Sara says:

Don’t understand how this guy survive that many stab wounds and only hit a lung..really? Lol

23. That was Mikes mom from Mike and Molly as that kgb spy!! hahah tripped me out

24. Dekoracje ogrodowe posiadają również wymiar praktyczny i mogą być także Twoją tajną bronią w walce z niesfornymi pociechami.

25. Imzadi says:

I almost hoped he would jump off the table and sing Not Dead Yet from Spamalot!

26. Joe Perugia says:

2 more episodes and I’m out, the show has gotten really really bad , it’s pretty sad when I waiting for the Mellie scenes more ,

27. liame says:

Grey’s and Scandal were great tonight! I always enjoy Ellen Pompeo and less dialogue from poppa Pope is always a treat.

28. Tracey says:

This B613 plot has sucked the life out of Scandal.

29. greysfan says:

As much as i had hoped he died i’m glad he didn’t after what happened with Grey’s. It would have been too much. In saying this i love the final scene with Liv putting the gun to the head of her lover!

30. melle says:

I’m so glad he’s not dead… But still devastated that he’s leaving the show….

31. It does say something for health care in the US where Derek dies in a hospital with plenty of doctors and medical equipment on hand and Jake survives in a warehouse turned into makeshift operating room!

• herman1959 says:

I know, that makeshift hospital/warehouse was so The Blacklist, it took me out of the scene for a moment.

• lysalaw says:

What does Obama have to do with this??? Death is the luck of the draw no matter the environment and medical equipment. This is the case before Obama after Obama and for all times, and including on TV!

• Ok, since you don’t seem to go on the Internet much, I’ll try to explain this to you. You see, there are a bunch of ultra-conservatives in this country who think that every bad thing that happens is President Obama’s fault. In order to counter and ridicule this attitude, liberals have responded with the meme, “Thanks, Obama!” wherein such nonsense is taken to extremes. In order to make fun of the conservatives who blame Obama for things that are not his fault, we literally blame Obama for everything – bad weather, deaths on TV shows, Madonna’s crappy new record, etc. It’s called a joke. You should look into it. If you google “Thanks, Obama” you’ll find many amusing examples of this particular meme.

32. Jeśli przed przyjazdem do UK byłeś posiadaczem auta w Polsce to być może masz zniżki z które
    zdobyłeś na tym aucie.

33. Joe says:

Stabbed 15 times and only a punctured lung … ( sound of jumping shark )

34. Nancy says:

What is with the question marks referring to the children (kids? grandkids?)? It was stated in the show that they were Mary’s grandchildren she was raising after her husband and daughter were killed by a drunk driver. Does the recapper even watch the show?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hi, Nancy, it’s me, the recapper for ABC’s “The Scandals of Washington. D.C.”! I obviously missed that mention, ergo henceforth the question.

• herman1959 says:

Ooh Matt, you’re human after all (there were actually two references to the grandchildren!. Obviously, you were so shocked by Jake surviving that you couldn’t think straight. Ha-ha!

35. Eran says:

I realise I am probably in the minority here but if Jake had died, I would have got up and clapped. I know we’re talking fictional characters here but the image of him shooting James in the back and then “soothing him into the light” because he’s such a good guy of course, has destroyed that character for me, irreparably. Huck wears his insanity on his sleeve but Jake? Jake’s the scariest kind of monster because others fall for him.
    Scandal needs to introduce some fresh blood because between Jake, Huck and Rowan, three mercileless murderers it is becoming increasingly harder to find someone to root for on board.