The Flash Recap: Something Shifty

The Flash Recap Wells Reverse-Flash

This week on The CW’s The Flash, Barry, Eddie and Caitlin contended with a shapeshifter, while Joe and Cisco dug up Dr. Wells’ dirty little secret.

Shapeshifter episodes on supernatural and sci-fi series are a double-edged sword. Yes, you get to “have fun” with mistaken identity and “ZOMG they kissed!” fake-outs. But the thing in this specific instance, when dealing with the brain trust that is the S.T.A.R. Labs team, is that smart people should behave a little smarter.

Meaning, when you are well aware that a shapeshifter is in your midst — and has already hijacked Eddie’s body — you don’t turn your back on Eddie, Barry, when he remarkably is suddenly “released” from police custody.

Meaning, Caitlin, that when Barry is acting a bit “off” and suddenly lays one on you, you don’t brush it off without for a moment realizing, “Barry isn’t acting like himsel– ZOMG it’s not really Barry!!!”

Sure, we “need” such slip-ups to drum up the drama, but nonetheless they do distinctly smart characters no favors. But at least this much came out of it: Iris got a half of a half of a half of the truth told to her, when Eddie revealed that he has been working with The Flash. It’s a start, especially given how rude he was to her at the top of the episode.

Beyond the Everyman storyline, Joe and Cisco traveled to Starling City to check out the site of Dr. Wells’ tragic car accident from 15 years ago, where with Quentin Lance’s help they uncovered a body long-buried nearby. Later in Central City, Barry reveals to Caitlin their findings: The corpse’s DNA is an exact match for Dr. Wells. Meaning, their mentor very much did walk away from that accident as a “different person.” (Also in Starling City: Black Canary fanboy Cisco hooked up Laurel with an amped-up “Canary Cry” gizmo, in trade for an autographed photo.)

Then, in the post-credits tag, Cisco, Barry and Caitlin discovered Wells’ secret room, inside which they found the Reverse-Flash suit as well as that newspaper from 2024, which declares “The Flash Missing.”

NOTABLE AND QUOTABLE:
* Nice Coast City (“Home of Ferris Air”) nod in the intro, though I need someone to explain how that superspeed-delivered pizza didn’t arrive as a lump of cheesy mush.
* Caitlin has to be the worst liar ever. Would love to play poker with her.
* Is Hannibal Bates the most on-the-nose villain name ever? Is his middle name Krueger?
* When Hannibal morphed into Eddie the first time, where did the gun come from?
* Similarly, and I have this problem with “invisibility” powers, too: How is your biologically based gift able to alter textiles worn outside the body?
* “I knew it!” Caitlin was highly amusing in the aftermath of the kiss, which she seemed to like a bit too much as it happened.
* During daytime, Joe and Cisco asked Lance to show them the accident site. Night falls and passes during the Eddie/Barry/Everyman chase. Joe and Cisco arrive at the accident site during daytime. So, it took Lance 24 hours to show them…?
* Am I perhaps the only person who hears the word “transmogrify” and immediately thinks of Calvin and Hobbes‘ cardboard box invention?
* I’m unclear on that antepenultimate scene: What was the corpse’s DNA matched to? Wouldn’t the fake Wells have Matt Letscher’s DNA? And/or vice versa?
* There’s a show to be made — for an older-skewing audience than The CW’s — where Joe, Lance and Wells hang out and drink beers.
* With all of his next-gen technical expertise, the “key” to Wells’ secret room isn’t biometrically accessed?

What did you think of “Who Is Harrison Wells?”

Want scoop on The Flash, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Drew says:

There is a lot to nitpick in this episode… Why didn’t Caitlin dose the dude when she had him? Why did Barry believe that was Eddie and turn his back on him? Stuff like that. But it was a fun episode nonetheless.
    Laurel was fun on The Flash. Lance was his old self, which really didn’t feel right. I hate the character now on Arrow. He had been totally ruined. This just reminded me of what it was like before he was a total d-bag that I wanted them yo kill off.

• tyranthraxus says:

I actually quite admire Lance as the ‘bad guy’ on the Arrow. Hes seen what the Arrow has brought to the city. Im not sure if they had Deathbolts or Destruction of the Glades or Deathstroke before Oliver Returned but since he has come back a lot of s–5 has done done in Starling City. Its actually sorta natural progression for the character in a way.

To be honest too many of the characters in the Arrow were becoming far too .. comfortable with the Arrow.. something needed to be done to highten up tension within the cast of characters.. as opposed to bringing in the guest stars/ villains to do this. I dont want everyone comfortable with everyone in the Arrow.

My Issue with the Flash is that is and updated Freak of the Weak Smallville. .. Okay sorry thats a bit of a low blow. Its not exactly the same but it kinda feels that sometimes they rush the story too quickly and have to go to great lengths to sort out the consequences later.

I mean what the hell is Season 2 of the Flash gonna be like? Do they take it dark? Probably wouldnt work.. but if they keep going at this pace its gonna by a Superhero show with freaks every weak.

• Drew says:

I would ve fine with a little tension on Arrow, but Lance didn’t even care about what happened to Roy because of his tantrum. And it is a tantrum, because he made a very public display of his working with Arrow. Nothing changed in that deal except Lance got his little feelings hurt and decided to start hunting people and getting them killed. It is all a childish whim. It made the character unto a horrible person, which is a shame because I liked him.
        But this isn’t an Arrow article, so I will just say that this Lance was like the character that I used to like. It was nice seeing him again… Now they need to kill him off.

• Rachel says:

Preach!

• Rob Watkins says:

He did care what happened to Roy. Just because you don’t like a character doesn’t require him being killed off. Lance didn’t get anyone killed, i’m not sure where you got that idea.

• Drew says:

As far as Lance is concerned, Roy is dead. This is the direct result of Lance’s tantrum. And no, he didn’t care. Because rather than show an ounce of humanity in response to Roy’s death, Lance used it as yet another moment to take a jab at Oliver.
            Lance took this thing too far, but really, the writers took Lance too far. There are all sorts of reasons why he would have to at least lose his badge, but at this point I’m not even sure that the damage to the character itself can be fixed. I can dislike a character and not want them killed off, but that is different than having a character destroyed and then keeping their rotting corpse around just because you liked them once upon a time.

• It won’t let me post under your next comment, but you’re spot on about Lance. Well put. His character is virtually irredeemable.

2. madhatter360 says:

Wait, so do the police know that Star Labs has Hannibal Bates? Or do they think he just disappeared after losing to The Flash?

• Drew says:

You’d think they would need him to clear Eddie… But the police can’t know where he is because it is wicked illegal for random people to have their own prison where they hold people without any trial.
      They’re kinda kidnappers.

• jj says:

The DA made a comment about needing to catch him soon (i.e. she thinks he’s still on the loose, and doesn’t realise he is locked up in STAR labs).

3. Amelia says:

I would totally watch that Joe, Lance, Wells spinoff! That and one with the Teen Wolf Dads!

• Wendy says:

Yes! Plus dead mom from Teen Wolf, Jody Mills from Supernatural, Sheriff Liz from Vampire Diaries, and a few of the parents from The 100.

4. Jim says:

Not only the textiles part, but how did mimic create a gun to shoot the cops with?

5. Mark says:

Transmogrification is a new technology

6. Jess G says:

These are some really good points. Hannibal Bates: double dose of psychotic pedigree. And that easy access to Wells’ secret room bothered me too. You’d think it would require at least a finger print for admission. All the time I kept thinking it was a trap because it was just too easy. However I can’t wait for next week’s episode. Looks pretty epic. Love the show’s pacing.

• Nicole says:

I think it may be a trap. I think Wells knows they know but is pretending to be in the dark. I feel he is pulling strings and giving them info b/c they seemed to just stumble on info this episode with no effort. Wells always says he is one step ahead and I think he is.

7. James says:

Pizza boxes have built in inertial dampers

8. jj says:

Bates only needed to touch the person clothed body not their direct skin to take their appearance, so I guess somehow the clothes is just part of the package.

9. Much like most of the Flash, the episode was fun but is really easy to, not even so much nitpick but kinda question. Not saying its a bad show mind you, just you keep seeing room for improvement in the narrative structure and such.

10. JeffDJ says:

Regarding the DNA issue, maybe the real Wells’ DNA was on file for whatever reason and that’s what they used to ID the corpse.

• Karen says:

They must have his original DNA on file, that is how they ruled out Wells when they found the blood in Barry’s original house. Though I suppose Thawne/Wells must have Wells’ DNA now also.

11. How Rude Eddie was to Iris at the top of the ep? Seriously? He was standing there with Barry, she comes up and says hi to Barry, doesn’t say a word to Eddie but still gives him a massive stink eye. But he was the rude one?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

His actively aggressive “Like father, like daughter” jab was far less offensive than her passive-aggressive non-“Hi.”

• Andi says:

Thank you Matt; Eddie is starting to show his not-so-guy colors

• Drew says:

I wouldn’t call it aggressive. That sounds like he’s about to smack her around. They’re having an argument and he wants to get it over with. She wants to give him the silent treatment and ice him out. Two different ways to argue, but I wouldn’t call him aggressive toward her. It just sounds abusive.

• Kyrah says:

Eddie was rude to Iris. His attitude stinks.

• M says:

Eddie did that to Iris like three eps ago when she went in for a kiss and he dodged her…then later at CCPD when she said hi to him directly and he walked away. But this ep, he made that rude remark when a) he just told another lie and b) he’s the one who’s been in the wrong and knows it…so yes. He was the rude one.

• Luis says:

That “like father, like daughter” crack was pretty rude, but I’ll forgive Eddie for succumbing to the tension he was feeling.

• Leeeeeeeee says:

I agree Iris has been a complete bword especially to Eddie, his cold sentence only followed her colder moving out and silent treatment, she’s just been super immature, so he matched her immaturity lol IMO

12. Paulina says:

I tought the same about how to open the door that leads to the wellss secret place. I thought it has some palm, finger recognition but i guees the writers dind see that mistake. BIG mistake.

• Drew says:

Unless Dr. Wells allowed Barry to have access for a reason… Hmm…
      Nope. Pretty sure it was just weak writing. :)

• What if he had to become another person again? If he does change COMPLETELY, then his fingerprints and other biometric uniqueness changes, too, and then he wouldn’t be able to get back in.

That’s my rationalization for that. :) Barry being an idiot and not dosing Hannibal when they were taking him to the cops were just bad writing. :(

13. herman1959 says:

OK, there was so much to pick with in this episode, but I still loved it. It just goes to show how much more enjoyable the show is when a big chunk of screen time isn’t given over to The Atom (or whatever the name will be) spinoff. That said, why wasn’t the corpse more decomposed (more skeletal) after 15 years?

14. Sheldon W. says:

Too many moments of plot stupidity ruined the Everyman arc for me, but the road trip was fun (don’t assume that the cuts between the two arcs are of events happening at the same time – they’re edited that way for dramatic impact but don’t necessarily have to be happening simultaneously).

I’d give the ep a C+

15. “Is Hannibal Bates the most on-the-nose villain name ever? Is his middle name Krueger?” heh

16. jolie says:

The fact that the girl didn’t even flinch when everyman touched her (the first time we see him transform) makes me smh at this show. But I keep coming back each tuesday lol

17. A says:

Really hated that forced Barry and Caitlin kiss. It just felt off and creepy and like it had no point. I also hate how much of an idiot they are making Caitlin out to be: first the “CPR” she performed on Cisco last Tuesday, and now not knowing that Barry WASN’T Barry when he kissed her? Considering all he ever does is talk about Iris and how much he loves her you would think that Caitlin wouldn’t fall for Everyman’s schtick so quickly. I want to believe that she is smart but the writers have been giving her a bad go lately…
    Oh well. As long as they can the Barry/Caitlin romance I can deal with it. That just does not work for me at all. Ick.

18. Morgan says:

So Cisco had time to boost Laurel’s canary cry and put it in a new carrier complete with S.T.A.R. LABS insignia? Come on!

19. Philly phil says:

Why isn’t wells door at least made with finger print tech, very simple

20. Molly says:

I agree! You would think they’d have some sort of code word when they know there is a shapeshifting metahuman on the loose. Eddie has been rude to Iris these past few weeks and it’s just so annoying. I don’t understand why he didn’t just say he was working with the flash from the get-go? Like why not say that 2 weeks ago when she asked you? Smh.. it is a show I guess lol. This episode was mediocre IMO.

21. Melinda says:

This was a good episode. Iris really was in high gear and it was great to see her being part of the story. Iris was an active participant and I want to see more of her being involved with the Flash Team. Iris hacking into her father’s computer, recognizing that Eddie is not left handed therefore it wasn’t him who shot the cops. Iris can be a great asset to the team. It was good seeing Iris and Caitlin attempting to take the meta human in to the police station. What I loved is that even with all that was going on with the handcuffed meta human Iris didn’t skip a beat and asked Caitlin about the Burning Man. Joe still doesn’t view his lying to Iris as a problem, which is a huge problem in and of itself. Quentin Lance laid it out about his own struggles in trusting/forgiving Laurel for lying to him and Joe still wants to believe he’s doing it out of love. I’m excited for next week because I do believe Iris will discover the truth and I can’t wait for it to happen.

• Leeeeeeeee says:

Iris can hack into a police officers computer and whatever else she got into but she cant tell her bff since forever is the flash :-/

22. Sam says:

I felt bad for Caitlin. She was sexually assaulted by Hannibal and was clearly uncomfortable with the kiss. She flinched when Barry tried to touch her later and blamed herself for it towards the end. I really wish tptb would stop using cringe-worthy moments for fan service. This was worse than her “You deserve a peek” line.

• Ang says:

Really?! Because it sure looked to me like “Barry” kissed her and she liked it. She was jumpy later because she had had time to think about it and began to feel a little guilty that she enjoyed it.

23. Alberto says:

This episode was just meh! The plot was kind of stupid. Then you have these geniuses making stupid mistakes that it didn’t make some of the intended fun scenes seem organic. Really Caitlin should have been able to tell something was off with Barry. Same goes for Barry with the Eddie situation. Loved the Joe/Cisco/Lance trip. I was surprised that Iris now has hacking skills?, I liked it. I also loved the fight scenes in the end (flash vs flash) and flash vs the ladies. Definitely not my favorite nor was it the best episode). I would give it a C.

24. Rawles Marie says:

The Caitlin/Everyman kiss was horrible. Especially considering that later she was very skittish around Barry and explicitly told him not to touch her. Kissing someone while pretending to be someone else is already sexual assault, but they out and out coded Caitlin reacting to it as if it was as well.

25. Madison says:

Seems like everyone is pretty much on the same page about the whole Baitlin/Snowbarry (or whatever they call them) kiss thing. Hopefully the writers realize that going about the relationship in that way is NOT okay. Maybe they’ll take the hint that they should just avoid that path completely. It seems like anytime they try to take those two to a more “romantic” level they just end up making sexist comments or making light of sexual assault.

• Brigid says:

I don’t see sexual assault at all. Barry, a guy she knows starts to kiss her and she doesn’t pull away or say no but kisses him back. If she pushes him away and he grabs her to kiss her again than yes that would be assault. The only thing the writers are guilty of are assaulting me with this match up because there is no chemistry.

• Aliah says:

I think most people are rightfully calling it sexual assaul is that not only was she forced into it, but whether you think she “enjoyed” it or not, it was not Barry. She was forced into kissing a stranger disguised as Barry so, yes, it was indeed sexual assault.

26. Rebecca says:

Given how rude Eddie was to Iris? Maybe I wasn’t watching the same scene as you Matt. But didn’t Iris begin that scene by blatantly ignoring Eddie even though he was standing next to Barry? So you can forgive her rude behavior? But god forbid Eddie say something snarky to her and then apologize right after. But no no Eddie was the rude one.
    It seemed to me that Iris was fine ignoring and being rude to Eddie until he “killed” someone. But then oh look she suddenly cares again. Yawn.

27. Indi says:

I love Iris West. I need MORE Iris West. Just Iris West everywhere ♡ the episodes are always better when she’s around.

28. Lisa says:

The show is more enjoyable when they have more Iris. I guess when she’s in on the secret they’ll be able to give her more to work with.

29. m3rcnate says:

In that moment/scene with Cisco, Laurel was the best i have ever seen her character be. Holy crap i fell in love with Laurel/Katie Cassidy in that moment….WTF WRITERS?! lol….WHY CANT LAUREL BE LIKE THIS MORE?! Why on Arrow does everyone have to be fighting and arguing and crying and overall being over dramatic then they guest on this show and their characters improve drastically (Oliver is fun, a bit funny, cooler. Felicity is cuter, more fun, more upbeat, funny, sexy, Diggle is funny and lighter).

• Meena says:

Ahh I agree, Laurel’s character was quite enjoyable in this episode. Wish they had more of that. I also agree with you about other characters being more fun on The Flash.The Flash is overall a more light, humorous show compared to the much darker Arrow. I know Arrow’s atmosphere has always been pretty dark, but I wish they’d change it up a little and let the characters have more fun.

• Isobel says:

Agree a happier Laurel is a more enjoyable Laurel, she’s been written so far on Arrow as rather a pain in the ass, which is no fun to watch, if they bring this characterisation of Laurel into Arrow I’d be more on board with her.

• Luis says:

Maybe the “Flash” writers could pop over and write some Laurel-centric episodes of “Arrow” next season.

30. Stephen says:

So was Hannibal supposed to be the Martian Manhunter? He had a similar look to Manhunter at the end and the same shape shifting ability. I’m thinking MM was in the city living as a human and the particle accelerator explosion messed up his mind?

And I assumed Cisco, Joe, and Lance went to the crime scene the next day. It was probably late in the day already and it was mentioned on the show that Cisco/Joe would be gone a couple days.

31. Pat says:

I really like this show and it keeps me wanting to know more. It is definitely, one of the best shows on the CW network. My only big question is how in the heck are the going to solve the Dr Well’s storyline and the major effects it is going to have with all the characters that are close to him? He seems to really care about all of them but he could also, kill them ( as we saw him do this to Cisco) a couple of weeks ago.

32. Nick says:

I’m pretty sure that this whole episode got made just for the two interactions between Laurel and Cisco. Just sayin’.

33. LaLa says:

So, am I the only person watching Harrison/Eobard, waiting for his eye to twitch, or mouth to tighten as they discussed a metahuman with the ability to “transmorgify” into someone else? Right.

OK, so I guess this episode could be filed under the corny filler episode, but I appreciate the forward movement by the discovery of Harrison Well’s body. I swear, at the end of each Flash and Arrow episode, my new question is, What happens now??????

34. Natalie says:

“But at least this much came out of it: Iris got a half of a half of a half of the truth told to her, when Eddie revealed that he has been working with The Flash. It’s a start, especially given how rude he was to her at the top of the episode.”

Thanks for that, Matt. I really don’t get all of this Iris West hate. What’s the problem with her character? I understand where she’s coming from. Knowing that everyone you love is keeping secrets from you can piss you off, she had every right to be mad and Eddie just behaved like a jerk in that moment. Give that woman a break people and try to see things out of her perspective, too!

35. Datya says:

Matt, can you please help: I don’t understand how the timelines on Arrow and Flash intersperse. Last week, Ray and Felicity spent a few days in Central City while absolutely no time went by between the two Arrow episodes?? And they were all lovey-dovey on the Flash, but on Arrow things were awkward since she didn’t say I love you. And this episode picked up the day after Caitlin and Cisco were told about Dr. Wells (someone said something about “last night”), so if Detective West and Cisco go to Starling City (they got there and back in no time at all… Did the Flash drop them off and pick them up??), Lance should have been right in the middle of raiding the Arrow lair etc. I’m so confused!!!

36. Emily says:

I’m so relieved that Iris finally got to do some investigative work. She and Cisco/Laurel were the highlights of the night for me.

37. Gina says:

I loved Iris in this episode. So glad she got some significant screen time. Loved when she marched right into STAR Labs and presented her findings to Caitlin! You didn’t mention her, but she is starting to figure out something ain’t right with Team Flash. I think she will find out about Barry on her own and then all hell is gonna break loose! Can’t wait for it!

38. Luis says:

For a show I have always found enjoyable and smart, there were so many things about this show I found dumb; you pointed out most of them, Matt. One other thing that got me – when Bates was down in STAR Labs, why didn’t Caitlin shoot him up with the de-transmogrifying (how great a word is THAT!) serum before she and Iris carted him off? Does Bates have any idea who the Flash is now, since he transformed himself into both Barry and the Flash? I totally get the whole thing about being able to change clothes as well as the body – too damn convenient for words. I will go with the writers and figure Bates grabbed his gun before he fled Grandma’s house, but was the gun the same make and model as Eddie’s gun? If they found the bullets in the cops’ bodies, could they have checked the ballistics and seen those bullets didn’t match Eddie’s gun? Isn’t it convenient there happened happened to be video surveillance in that deserted part of the airport where the Flash took down Bates? Do you think Barry will give the DA a thrill and show up outside her office in costume one day? Exactly what kind of workshop does Cisco have in that van and how long were he and Joe in SC? Genius is one thing, but Cisco can’t stop time. Nice bit with the pic, BTW, you little rascal Cisco! Forget biometric locks on his secret future computer room – Thawne/Wells doesn’t have an alert that tells him someone is breaking into his secret future computer room? The secret future computer turns on whenever anyone walks inside? The home page of the secret future computer is Barry’s disappearance in ten years? Exposition is one thing; checking your brain at the door is another.

39. Scott says:

You are not the only person who thinks of C&H when that word is used. (laugh)

40. Nikki M says:

I’m glad that Iris was finally a part of the action in this episode. I feel like that is really missing from the show. Also glad to hear someone mention her mom! Can’t wait to see how that plays out.

41. Seahawks 12th Man says:

I liked this episode it was good. Was is it just me or was hannibal bates or Everyman or whatever you call him look too green like a martian i am NOT saying its Jonn Jonzz i know its not but he looked really green to me maybe its my tv i might be wrong. But yea i know there is a lot of people here that want Barry and Caitlin to date but that wont happen. Barry is supposed to date than later marry Iris, and Caitlin becomes Killer Frost. And that will be cool when it happens. Cant wait till next weeks episode but as for today despite all the NHL playoffs i cant wait to watch Arrow. Enjoy Arrow tonight my Comic companions! :)

42. Heidi says:

You’ve got to be kidding about Caitlin’s and Iris’ transporting Hannibal IN THEIR CAR??

43. madskilz48 says:

Breathe in and out slowly. No one said they are at same time and chronicle order when doing different threads. Loved so much of the episode and not bogged down. We are talking about super heroes and time travel so………………

44. Yeika says:

-Thinks I enjoy about the ep:
    Fake Iris fighting The Flash, that was good, I would love to see real Iris in a real fight, if she ever gets to have those abilities.
    The whole Cisco/Laurel scenes, they were so enjoyable and I laughed a lot! I need more of these.
    Barry, Cisco and Cailltin finding out the hiding room.
    -Thinks I didn’t like about the ep:
    That awkward, fake kiss between fake Barry and Caitlin. I really hope they never ever have something more than friendships. It’s awkward but not in a good way. Not enjoyable. STOP WITH THIS.

45. dee says:

Also Wells usually has to put his hand over the white light and ask to be shown the future. But when Barry, Cisco and Caitlin walked in the future news paper is already up??? And why did Barry go to just the right spot to open the door? He should have placed his hand in different spots before finding the right location. And I agree with you… I always thought the door scanned Wells hand before opening. This episode made all of the scientists look very dumb. And where is Gideon? Why isn’t Wells super computer guarding his secret room?

46. The Squatch says:

Though I agree that the whole Barry-opening-the-secret-door thing was probably just an example of lazy writing, I was thinking that perhaps it can be explained that it did run a scan on him and it opened because both he and Wells can tap into the speed force, on some level. Maybe it wouldn’t have opened if Cisco or Caitlin had put their hand there. Then again, maybe Wells is just one of those people who are so smart that they only focus on the big stuff and overlook simpler things. Maybe he just assumed that no one would ever find a hidden room and run their hands along the wall because he just figured he was so much smarter than everyone else that he would never give them a reason to go looking. Or not. Whatever. I have no idea. hehe

47. Yesterday says:

I agree with the other posters on here, the Snowberry kiss was pretty bad. I still hope there is a future for these two though. I find them delightful together. And Berry needs a better love interest than a girl who is basically his stepsister. No hate for Iris she’s awesome just not with Berry.

48. partisan says:

I call it “Stupid Good Guy Syndrome.”
    It’s when lazy writers make otherwise smart heroes do stupid things to make the story work instead of trying a bit hard top tell a good story.

49. Alex Miley says:

I’m having lots of issues with both this episode and the one that came before it. It really feels that, in an effort to tie into a satisfying finale, they’re really having to dumb down plot layers and characters. In an otherwise stellar first season, the past two episodes are shameful Scooby-Doo-esque schlock.