Galaxy Quest Series in Development

A sign that the reboot craze may be spiraling a bit out of hand: Even the Thermians of Galaxy Quest are getting a revival of their favorite show.

RELATED X-Files Revival Officially Ordered at Fox

Per our sister site Deadline, Paramount Television is working on a television series based on the 1999 film… which is itself a parody of a Star Trek-like space show.

The movie starred Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shalhoub and Sam Rockwell as cast members of a space series that has long been off the air. During an appearance at a fan convention, they encounter a group they think are fans in cosplay but who are really aliens (the aformentioned Thermians, whose ranks include Veronica Mars‘ Enrico Colantoni and The Office‘s Rainn Wilson) who need their help solving an intergalactic incident.

RELATED Wes Craven and Syfy Developing People Under the Stairs, Other Series

Robert Gordon, who penned the original Galaxy Quest script, likely will write the series. He’ll also executive-produce alongside the film’s director, Dean Parisot (whose directing credits include Justified and The Good Wife), and the film’s producer, Mark Johnson (Breaking Bad).

Galaxy Quest follows other Paramount big-to-small-screen projects like Nickelodeon’s School of Rock and the USA Network pilot Shooter.

1. fringe30 says:

I loved the movie. But the cast is what made it fantastic.

• BeaAnn44 says:

Exactly! I watch this movie anytime I catch it on TV, but never thought there needed to be any more to it. And the cast is what made the movie so awesome.

2. David4 says:

No thanks, I’m good.

3. Karen says:

By Grabthar’s Hammer, what a savings…

4. Brian Bauer says:

If they signed Tony Shalhoub and Sam Rockwell, I might consider it.

5. lizo says:

wasn’t it already a show called ‘Star Trek The Original Series’? lol.

6. Drew says:

If they can’t get the original cast to star, they should have the series focus on the stars of the “Next Generation” series within the series. That leaves it open for guest appearances by the originals (which will be funny if the spinoff takes place 75 years later, yet the actors are obviously not super old)

7. Wordsmith says:

I was just watching Other Space over on yahoo screen (which is really entertaining, btw) and thinking how Galaxy Quest would make a great series. I guess the universe was listening.

8. Phil says:

Or… and here’s a CRAZY thought… maybe green light a new Star Trek series!

Return the franchise to the roots that made it a billion-dollar, 50 year old intellectual property. You can keep the movies going. But Star Trek is a TV series that should be – wait for it – on TV.

Not that Galaxy Quest can’t be good, but why not just use the basis of the parody instead of the parody?

9. D says:

This is seriously getting out of hand. Is there really no more room for creative new shows? Not everything needs to be redone, but if it is absolutely necessary maybe we should be looking at older shows and movies so that it doesn’t feel so repetitive. Some of the reboots are great and entertaining but some are just ridiculous. Not every great TV show or movie of yester-year needs to be reastablished.

10. Crystal says:

Who are the people asking for all these remakes?!

11. Could you do this as a series? Kinda hard to draw parody out for than a few hours…

• odd tony says:

Archer has done parody for several seasons. I don’t think that they should make this, but it is possible to do it.

12. Larry Eslava says:

I enjoyed the premise of the movie, and the ship was beautiful. I don’t know if they could get the original crew. But, if they start from the beginning of the series they would need younger cast members anyway. Although the little kid helmsman was pretty funny.

13. Badpenny says:

I would rather see them do a Galaxy Quest series rather then the cast parody. Much like Star Trek, i would have watched Galaxy Quest if it had been a series. :)

14. albean99 says:

I liked the movie and love not so serious sci fi so I’d check it out.

15. AnnieM says:

They should reboot ‘Quark’ instead.

16. Daya says:

I’m excited about this and like the fact that others have the idea of doing a parody inside of a parody. (Don’t ask me…I just read it and nod!)

17. Nonnaru says:

YES, YES, YES—–I hope this comes true…I love that movie and if this is anywhere as much fun as the film it will do well!

18. Margaret Petko says:

Sweet! Can’t Wait!! I’ve Seen The Original Dozens Of Times And Totally Enjoyed It!!

19. Rena says:

This is one of my all time favorite science fiction movies!! I have it on vhs and cd too. Fun and full of surprises.

20. kk says:

Fellow “Questians” would agree that the chemistry of the original cast is what made this movie great. I think a “Next Generation” spin off would a great way to continue the “Historical Documents” without detracting from the original. Provided it is well written, of course.

21. John says:

great writing an incredible casting
    If they can get it right again it was so funny and so insightful