Awkward's Final Season Premieres in August: Will Matty and Jenna Reunite?

Awkward Season 5

Can you believe it’s almost time for Jenna, Matty and the rest of those Awkward scamps to leave high school behind forever?

The final season of the long-running MTV dramedy will kick off Aug. 31 at 9/8c, the network announced Tuesday at its upfront presentation in New York, and showrunners Chris Alberghini and Mike Chessler tell TVLine they intend to wrap up the “never-ending story” of Matty and Jenna once and for all.

But first: a visit from the ghosts of boyfriends past! When asked about this photo…

I'm a lucky girl (for the most part)

A post shared by Ashley Rickards (@ashleyrickardspowerb) on

…the EPs explained that Jenna will be “confronted by all of the guys that she’s been with. It’s a confrontation — or, actually, more like an intervention.”

Yikes! Awkward fans, what do you hope to see in the MTV series’ final season? Drop a comment with your wishes below.

1. Azerty says:

I was actually wondering a few days ago when this show would be returning. Can’t wait to see the final season, it is good that Jenna will be confronted by all the guys she dated, seriously every season there is moment she says she will focus on herself and not relationships and everytime this moment lasts 3 seconds. But I have no doubt that in the end she will reunite with Matty.

2. Guy says:

This show squandered once its showrunner left. She provided such a unique flair and voice to the show, and then it became “How many awkward things can we cram in an episode?” as if someone had never watched the show and only read the title. Sigh. Could have gone beyond high school, but alas… here’s to an announced final season, at least!

• Fx says:

I respectfully disagree. Yeah, the first season was great and had its unique voice but the second and third season sucked. The fourth season was the funniest of them all and I enjoyed the new showrunners’ storytelling.

• Milwaukee says:

When Sade’s character did a 180 I lost interest. She was a bully and she was funny. Five years in high school and how Awkward. Is that? Great Show!

3. Joey Padron says:

Happy final season have a premiere date! Can’t wait to see it!

4. apple says:

I always pictured it as a summer show so I wish it could premiere earlier, like in June or smthing. Anyway I dont know why but I always rooted for Jenna and Jake. But they’ve pushed the Matty thing so far down our throats that I presume she will end up with him. Meh

5. allie says:

when i first started watching this show i was going into 7th grade and now its going to end as i go into 11th grade. its so great to see how much ive grown, i feel like i grew along with jenna, Matty, Jake and just everyone in the show. cannot wait to see how this show comes to an end

6. Ella says:

I used to love Matty and Jenna. Now I hope she stays the hell away from him. I actually wouldn’t mind if she ended up with Jake, I like him as a character and she’s considerably more likeable when with him.

7. Remy says:

I really want Jenna & Jake back together. They were my favorite.

8. kali says:

I’m soo anxious for the final season to start but soo sad that this season wraps it all up ! I have been faithfully watching this show since the 1st episode so I will probably cry when it’s all over with lol.

9. April says:

I cant wait for this last season. Ive been waiting for it forever. Tbh I dont want matty and jenna to reunite. I want Jenna and that guy from the beach to kindle something. This time I wanna see matty the one watching jenna have her happiness. kind of like a matty perspective.

10. ashleigh says:

Omg I love this show! I’m pretty positive her and Matty will reunite they always do but I’m really upset this will be the last season 😔 wish they could figure a way to keep going I also wish the new season was sooner than augest lol

11. Michele says:

I have read different articles on this really being the finale season. A few said this may not be. Is this really the last season?

• :) says:

This is the last season. The actress who plays Tamara answered my tweet during the season finale and said it was the last season :'(

12. Gabrielle says:

I’m so sad to show ending but I’m glad to see they’re going to end as they started. Awkward. The writers never fail to stay true to the title and make Jenna’s life as awkward as possible. This intervention/ confrontation of all Jenna’s previous boyfriends sounds like the most awkward thing yet! I’m so excited and will miss the show greatly.

13. seanna says:

I have been wandering all along when it was going to come back on since it was stopped for a while……. Now I am happy thats its coming back i missed it YAY its back on :) <3

14. Megannnnn says:

Jenna and Matty better end up together!!!

15. Alexis says:

i literally just started watching this show like 2 dadys ago already finished watching all four seasons and I’m literally on team:matty if Jenna does not end up with matty I don’t know what I I’ll do be I swear she better not end up with Collin,Owen,or Luke bc she is way better off without them with matty she has a connection he was her first love and I totally think they should end up together for ever LIKE SERIOUSLY

16. Heather says:

I’ve always been a team matty girl so my hopes are still high! My question is: does anyone know where I can watch the previous seasons?!? I need to catch up before the 31st!