American Idol's Joey Cook on the Power of 'Fancy,' Inventive Arrangements, Harry Connick's 'Musician' Dis

“First things first, I’m the realest.”

The opening line of Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy” really hit home for American Idol‘s Joey Cook — especially as she tried to make the transition from “quirky quirk” contestant to an artist who deserved to be taken seriously.

Joey stopped by TVLine HQ this week to discuss her most memorable performance, plus the stories behind her unexpected arrangements of Jefferson Airplane’s “Somebody to Love,” Keith Urban’s “Somebody Like You” and Kelly Clarkson’s “Miss Independent.” (Be warned: A technical snafu causes the video to cut out from the 12:40 mark through 14:26.)

Also on the docket: Joey’s forgotten lyrics in Hollywood Week, the Season 7 vocalist who made her think seriously about the prospect of auditioning, her decision to cover “Mad World” despite its association with Season 8’s Adam Lambert, and that comment from Harry Connick Jr. about Clark Beckham being quite possibly “the only musician left in the competition.” (Ouch!)

Press PLAY above for the full interview, then hit the comments with your hopes and thoughts for Joey’s post-Idol future!

1. Karen says:

And my love for Joey Cook continues to grow. Damn she should have made it MUCH farther :)

• bobsaccamanna says:

Couldn’t agree more, every interview I see with this girl I am more and more impressed. My opinion hasn’t changed that she is the one idol from this season that has a real chance at post idol success, an already sinking ship just brushed up against another iceberg when Joey was eliminated. I am not saying the remaining 6 artists aren’t talented, they are , but Joey was the breath of fresh air that made me excited when I sat down to watch the show on Wednesday nights, I won’t have that same feeling tomorrow night for sure.

• karyn says:

I agree. I was hesitant to call her my favorite before. By that I mean, I always wanted to see what she would do next but I didn’t really expect her to win and I always gave her max votes to keep her around. But I lost my enthusiasm for the season when she was eliminated — I only realized today that I never voted after last week’s show. Some of the others are quite good but there’s no one I feel I have to make an effort to save.

• James bisping says:

She’s just not my cup of tea

• rwfblog says:

My thoughts exactly. I’m buying her album as soon as it hits (and I don’t buy a lot of music).

2. Timmah says:

I think I’ll skip the Idol tour and wait for the Joey Cook tour.

• Puchinsmom says:

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY AGREE.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’ve seen three Idol alums live (Melinda, Fantasia, and Jordin Sparks) and I’d happily add Joey as the 4th. Not the best technical singer, but there was something so refreshing about her approach to music that was the furthest thing ever from cookie cutter.

• I went to the tour last year, but I refuse to go. If I want to hear baby voices and cooing, whispering, I will either go to a horror movie or a day care center! Dont want to see Jax, let alone pay for it! Crap I would love to see Quentin though!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA, Heck yeah….get rid of JOAX and bring back Quentin, or the other Q for that matter! I swear, I would rather see DANNY BOY tour than awful sounding JOAX THE HOAX THE MOAX!

• Jill Jax, Jax Face of Wax, Baby whispers to the Max! Making faces like she stepped on thumb tacks! I would rather listen to Daniel!

• Jill Moy says:

WELL SAID BECCA!

• Jill I just went and watched Jena and Calebs Duet of Gimmie Shelter. Gaawwd it was good! I think we thought last year was bad, but comparing it to this year and the underwhelming ,boring stuff we are hearing, last year had its good moments. These kids arent charting Jill, I looked up last year and ON April 17 Jena’s creep was in top 10 as well as Calebs Family Tree! I know you dont think charting matters much, but if people are interested enough to go buy it on I tunes they will. It looks like NO ONE IS INTERESTED IN THIS YEARS SONGS! Including me! LOL The performances are so bad this year I really have no memory of the songs they have done inn the last 2 weeks. Except for Quentins and some of Qassims. Qassims Uptown Funk was unforgettable! But now they are gone! Also if they are not buying any of the kid’s music on I tunes, how do they expect to make a star out of the winner when no one is even wanting to buy their music at this moment! Its an indication this year is horrible! Just because 3 people arent “pitchy” as Melinda always says doesnt mean they can be a great star!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Well, I did pick Tyanna and Nick from the start! I never thought they were great! I just know that for AI, they’re ok! BUT….BORING, BORING! I wuould rather have RAYVON win than that PHONEY JOAX! I picked ADANNA along with these 2! She had looks, singing voice and a nice stage presence, which very few artists ANYWHERE possess! SHE SHOULD BE HERE! JOX STRAP (a new one) here, but no ADANNA?????OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!

3. Shaun says:

She’s pretty funny.2 Drummers just because,terrific idea!XD

4. Opinionmine says:

AI will lose its biggest draw for the tour. Cannot wait to see Joey live someday.
    She will be remembered long after the winner has faded into obscurity.

• Mary says:

Yes, if Quentin goes this week, good luck filling the seats. I guess there is a lot of viewers that like the dull and boring, but will they actually go see them. Oh well I think she has a level head on her shoulders which will serve her well in the future.

5. Opinionmine says:

#givejoeyherbiggirlalbum

6. Kaba says:

She’s so amazing.

7. James says:

I was so surprised to see Joey eliminated. I should have know better I guess, but it just never occurred to me this could happen. I hope she’s gotten enough traction to take off on her own from here. I think I’ll take a couple of weeks off now. Clark is Clark and working his way through to the final. Jax needs a couple of years, seriously, before her act seems authentic. There’s not much interesting left, despite some good singing talent. See you all in a few weeks.

8. Joe Smith (honestly) says:

I would love to see am album very quickly and I’ll have it in my collection that day. My wife and I have enjoyed each and everyone of her performances and have them saved on our DVR (God I hope it never breaks down). We watch “King of Spain” and “fancy” almost every day. But in a way we are glad for her early exit – not ties to the Idol machine so no troubles like Philip is experiencing.

9. Puchinsmom says:

Thank you sooo much Michael. That really went a long way towards healing my broken heart about Joey’s departure. I feel a million times better. What a gem that young woman is. So well spoken, so grounded in an off the ground way! I fell in love with her after group round, and she’s been the highlight of the show for me. Must’ve been wonderful working with her. I’m jealous of Quentin. She’d make an awesome best friend.
    GREAT interview Michael. Just great!

10. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

Joey is one of a kind!!! Hopefully she gets signed by a record deal and tops the charts!!! 😍😍😍

11. Lili says:

Brooke White still remains my favorite Idol contestant. Season 7 was the best season of American Idol.

12. Denise says:

Thank you Michael so much for the interview! I figured Joey would be out right before the tour group was formed because she’s not generic enough for it but she IS something special and I hope we hear more out of her in the future. I think her chances for success are about as high as anyone else this season despite only coming in at 7th place.

13. Jack says:

Jennifer Hudson came in 7th and she’s got an Oscar. Here’s hoping Joey Cook has a long and successful career.

14. marygrace says:

Will miss this talented young lady on Idol. Great interview!

15. susan says:

Yep, Idol will be much more boring this season from here on out. I’m not sure I’ve ever lost my favorite so early in the season before. Not even sure we’ll go on the tour this year…with only five and Joey’s not one of them. That will be a first for us! Sad and disappointed…
    Great interview, as always, though!

16. lorie says:

She talks with a raspy growlish sound. I can’t describe it but t’s hard to listen to.

17. Chico Smith says:

Joey, you’re a star! A superstar, Harry’s all wrong and so were the voters. Quentin was right, it is whacked! Pay it no mind girl. I can see you on your way to the top. You’re unique like Janis Joplin, grace slick or Stevie nicks. I’ll buy all your CDs and albums. I can’t wait for a chance to see you and hear you sing someplace. I’ll stop now and wish you all the best with your music and your marriage to Eievin (sp?). Break a leg Joey, I love your voice and style.

18. Lloyd says:

Michael, are we starting interviews from place 7 this year so that you can avoid interviewing Daniel, or will you just be interviewing the contestants you like in the future? :P I was looking forward to an interview with Sarina.

19. Debbie says:

Joey, with a doubt was one of the most creative girls A.I. has ever had on their show. Hopefully we will see more of this in the future. Joey definitely needs to get a Big Girl Album out there, I know I will buy. Her covers of the songs she did were entertaining and she is an enjoyable performer. A. I. will lose some tour money this year without her there. She will be fun to go see as a solo artist. I love her drive and knowing what she wants to do in life. You don’t see many of the younger generation with the focus on the big picture, only smaller ones. If you have dreams go and get those dreams, Keep it real Joey. We love

20. Jan says:

Delightful interview!

21. lela.k.dale says:

Joie you are the best good luck in what you do and in with your marriage

22. joe shields says:

Great interview. Gave good insight into how Joey does her magic. Hope to hear more from her soon.

23. ara says:

Michael, please STOP recording video using Google Hangouts! The quality is awful. Just use your point-and-shoot camera’s video feature and upload it to Youtube directly.

24. Jill Moy says:

I admit I spoke without watching the Video! It seems that Joey actually speake well…..WITH NO ACCENT! I wish she would sing with her normal voice instead of with her weird way of pronouncing words, with her phoney accent, making quirky motions with her nose and mouth! I would have loved to hear THE REAL JOEY SING!

She spoke without making those faces and without herr PUT ON ACCENT! I was totally surprised!

She mentioned Sarina at the end! Why not mention her SO CALLED BEST FRIEND QUENTIN! She could have said that Quentin was just upset she was in the position she was in! But she didn’t! Why: I believe she didn’t like his actions either! They asked her on the show about Quentin and all she said was He was going to marry her and her fiance and they were gonna PUT HIM ON STILTS! Well, that’s making fun of him! Who goes on STILTS?????? Clowns and circus performers, that’s who! She looked shocked when he mentioned he was upset because his BEST FRIEND was in the position she was in! I believe she also felt he was nuts! The STILTS comment proves that! She offered NO SUPPORT on the show or this interview, and she had her chances! They’re best friends…..MY A$$!

• Jill Moy says:

Joey sure dosn’t have much support! The amount of comments on here proves that, doesn’t it! Where are all the comments from her followers who claimed to love her?

After seeing this video, I wish her the best! I think she is memorable and for that reason, she should do tv commercials! She could sell anything with her bubbly personality! A friend of mine mentioned she thought she would do well doing commercials! I never thought of it! She’s right….she would do well in that field!

25. Steve says:

Great interview! I’m going to miss Joey’s courage and humor, her hard work and surprising results. She should work up an album of mostly jazz innovations like Jlo suggested; with some original stuff and personal favorites mixed in. I’ll be looking forward to hearing it

26. Jill Moy says:

That woman who plays FLO on Progressive Insurance is getting boring! JOEY would be a wonderful replacement for that gig! I’m being serious! Like I said earlier, she could sell anything and would be a good spokesperson for any product or service!

27. S says:

Nice shirt, reminds me of my grandmother who made her own clothes, something she would have worn in the 1970s.

28. Liz says:

I can’t wait to buy her big girl album! She was who I voted for every week and couldn’t wait to see what she was going to perform and how she was going to change and improve the song. A true musician. Love her. Long live Joey Cook!

29. James bisping says:

Tyanna jones is the best contestant of all. My pick from day one. Every song she sings brings smile to my face.

30. emmatessa says:

I was appalled when Joey was eliminated. Really want to find more of her music and hope that an album is in the making. How do we go about making “The Powers” know she is an incredible talent and should be the winner of something big?