Exclusive

American Idol: Top 6 Song Spoilers Revealed!

This just in: Despite being a staple of stadiums everywhere, “Cotton Eye Joe” did not make the set list for American Idol‘s “Arena Anthems”-themed performance night (Wednesday, 8/7c on Fox).

So what will the Season 14 Top 6 be tackling?

TVLine has your exclusive first look at all the spoilers for a night centered on “songs that can entertain a massive crowd and are performed by mega superstars.”

Without further ado…

Quentin Alexander – The Doors’ “Light My Fire”; Florence + The Machine’s “Shake It Out”

Clark Beckham – The Beatles’ “Yesterday”; Justin Bieber’s “Boyfriend”

Nick Fradiani – Rod Stewart’s “Maggie May”; Maroon 5’s “Harder to Breathe”

Rayvon Owen – Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way”; Sam Smith’s “I’m Not the Only One”

Jax – Dido’s “White Flag”; Jet’s “Are You Gonna Be My Girl”

Tyanna Jones – Bryan Adams’ “Heaven”; Miley Cyrus’ “Party in the USA”

(Whoa! A few of the artists I’d lobbied for on Friday actually made the cut — though not necessarily attached to the contestants I’d expected!)

What do you think of the Arena Anthems set list? Which contestants have you nodding approval — and who’s got you scratching your head? Sound off in the comments!

1. Dax says:

These are arena anthems? What arena are they looking at, Joe’s Bar and Grill? No guts no glory!!

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

Not excited by these songs. I feel the heavy hand of the producers and a limited list of cleared songs at work here.

• T.B. Hammer says:

exactly. payola on the song book…. most songs are guaranteed to bore all but the most steadfast idoloonies……. seems idol just can’t save itself from going down the wrong road with these themes.

• Tyler says:

Agree. I hope Clark changes up his songs because Yesterday has been done to death on these reality TV shows, and why the heck is he singing a Justin Bieber song? I guess he couldn’t get a Justin Timberlake song. Same goes for Rayvon doing Go Your Own Way, and Tyanna doing Heaven. Nick’s selections are forgettable. On the other hand, I like Quentin’s choices. I think the Doors will suit him.

• Celestine Jordan says:

I agree with you a 100% About the producers and the list.

• karyn says:

Apparently, the producers, when they said “arena anthems,” just meant “any song by any performer who could fill an arena.”

2. Al says:

And they why a Idol is hitting new ratings low

3. Julia says:

In what world are White Flag and Yesterday arena anthems?

• Mary says:

I must of had a different definition of what this theme meant. Should be an interesting night.

• sheba says:

Maybe someone needs to explain the theme to the producers? It seems to have been interpreted as: sing one song by a classic rock artist and one by a contemporary pop artist (apart from Jax, who got a contemporary rock and a contemporary rock song. Hmm.). Not sure what the )?&+ kind of theme that is. Only a handful of these have anthemic potential, but I guess we already knew that most of these singers aren’t really arena-anthem ready.

• Kenny says:

Yes! I literally LOLed when I saw “White Flag” what a joke

• Maria says:

As someone who has seen Paul McCartney in concert, I can confidently say that Yesterday is not, in fact, an anthem. Hey Jude…yes. Yesterday…not so much.

• Wayne Cox says:

What makes Maggie May an arena anthem??

• jeanne says:

Totally agree. Maybe young ones just don’t know what an arena anthem is?

4. Lana says:

Yeah me lol. I said Quentin should do Shake It Out! So excited. beautiful haunting song and I’ve always wanted to hear a less Flo cover – yeahhh

5. Julie says:

Thus lies the ambiguity of another Idol theme.

I really don’t have an issue with any of the songs. Even the ballads especially “Yesterday” cause that one is a crowd fave live in concert.

I am most intrigued by Clark’s choice of Beiber.

6. Nan says:

I predict that Clark is going to crash and burn spectacularly. He amounts to 3D Muzak anyway, but what is anthemic about Yesterday? Hey Jude is an anthem, IMO Yesterday is not. This promises to be as boring as last night’s Castle episode.

• Maria says:

Watching grass grow couldn’t be as boring as last night’s Castle episode.

• Wayne Cox says:

Funny how Hey Jude was NEVER performed at all by the Beatles. But Yesterday was performed in ARENAs.

• T.B. Hammer says:

Clark is not going to pull-in young voters with that song. He won’t gain any ground from it, but will likely stay safe anyway, due to the weakness of the whole theme and the fact that there are still a couple others in the competition that are either boring or can’t sing in-tune most of the time.

• Mary says:

Nothing is going to pull in young voters, but the demographics that watch this show will eat it up. Unfortunately we will be stuck with another winner like the last couple of years.
        I keep hoping, because I love the show, but unless they find a way to change the demographics we are fated to have the non commercial contestants.

• ldan says:

Please Clark is awesome.

Nick is the most boring on the show.

7. Dude says:

Bryan Adams “Heaven”? WHY TYANNA?!

8. Adam says:

Can we replace Rayvon for Adanna he is boring he has no personality and he wants to be perfect which bores the living hell of me and that week adanna was eliminated she was somewhat robbed due to the fact that I Love you I do was forgetful and just solid but staying alive was all over the place he deserved to be eliminated then

9. Richard says:

When is Nick Fradiani ever gonna do MatchboxTewnty or Rob Thomas? He could have done ‘Smooth’ this week. Or when Latin week comes in.

10. Puchinsmom says:

Wish I cared. Now that Joey’s gone the show has lost it’s appeal. I’ve been a loyal fan since season 3, and I won’t stop watching, but between the new formats and the loss of some of the performers like Serina and Savion and now JOEY, I’ve been bored.
    Nick sounds the same every week. Decent voice, but his performances leave me fast forwarding. Tyana is wonderful every month or so. She has a lot of potential. Love Clark’s voice most of the time, and Quentin is compelling. I’m more with Michael than Melinda on Quentin. Jax is too SOMETHING for my taste. Can’t put my finger on it. But I can see her having a career and following with the right music.Rayvon is just too boring TO ME. i get that he has a lovely voice. I even loved You Were Always On My Mind.

11. Fangirl says:

I guess my idea of arena and that most idol contestants are not the same thing! Oh well, look forward to how it plays out.

12. Donna says:

Not really sure how these songs are going to be for “Anthems Night”. Sure won’t be long before we find out. Sure Hope Clark can pull his off! He really needs to do better than he did with ~~Moon River.

13. Stephen says:

I don’t really know how some of these are arena anthems, but the contestants will obviously sing what they want. I still remember when Quentin sang rolling in the deep for party week. That’s not exactly a song that I’d play at a party. When I think arena anthem, I think of songs played at sporting events. This should be an interesting week.

14. CK says:

I should really stop reading these song spoilers because they make me want to watch the show less and less. I’m a fan of Clark, but there is no world in which I would want to hear him singing any rendition of “Boyfriend”. Tyanna has chosen songs (or a song) that amount to the biggest case of self sabotage on any reality show this season. Party in the USA is on my playlist, but it’s not a reality singing competition song. She could have fantastic vocals and it will still come off as a karoake performance.
    Honestly, if there isn’t actually going to be a theme, could we stop pretending that there will be one?

15. Shete says:

I hope clark will do this version of yesterday so it will not bore me like moon river, I nadly want him to win Blues Beatles – Yesterday (Live) — youtube.com
    And I afraid of rayvon im not the only 1, ut might be a game changer, he might slayef it and have a moment

• Mary says:

I am sure he will slay it. He has the voice, too bad he doesn’t have the personality. I would even buy a recording of his but no way would I go see him in concert. Honestly Quentin and Joey I would go see in concert in a heartbeat. Nick maybe if he continues to improve. The rest no way.

16. wen says:

I just decided to stop watching American Idol. The only person who held a shred of interest for me is singing a Justin Bieber song. That’s it. Only checking in to Reality Check for the rest of the season. It feels liberating!!

17. syb says:

I’m thinking only one of the two songs is supposed to be “an anthem.” Some of them, it’s a stretch for either.

18. Brandy says:

The theme is hilarious, but I am actually pumped about some of these choices.

19. Tom says:

This theme is ‘Sing Whatever Song You Want’ it makes no sense. Furthermore, I love my girl Tyanna but whoever told her to do Party in the USA must be doing Molly with Miley.

20. Timmah says:

The full theme is actually “Songs that can entertain a massive crowd and are performed by mega superstars, but will actually be performed by wannabees who might struggle to entertain the crowd at the coffee shop”.

21. Karen says:

From those song picks, i’m really stoked to hear “Go Your Own Way” from Rayvon. Awesome tune with some cool lyrics that aren’t sappy or cheerful, but has a bite to it – I’ve really wanted to hear that from Rayvon, and I think he’ll nail it.
    Also loving Jax’ song-choices.

On the other hand, I’m not too convinced by Tyanna’s song picks. But hey, she might be able to persuade me

22. MAB says:

I can’t see Jax doing “Are you gonna be my girl”. I also can’t see Clark doing “boyfriend”. Iam kind of disappointed with most of these song choices.

23. JayNC says:

I am just not sure about this theme – we’ll see.

24. Nicola Timmerman says:

Loved Rayvon but besides the recent dance breakout he doesn’t seem engaged. Nick is a real workhorse performer but if it wasn’t for his looks he couldn’t beat Clark who has the best voice. Jax is the most original and youth oriented but men always seem to win Idol because girls are jealous of other women.

• Mary says:

I think Rayvon has a better voice than Clark, but neither one excites me. If it is a choice between these three guys winning I would pick Nick but not to enthuse with him either. Jax breathy voice is like a nail on a chalk board to me, nothing about being jealous. Everyone has different taste and too bad the demographics like the dull.

25. Rachel says:

Nick is the dark horse of this competition. And I think this week will be his breakthrough week. The final three will be Clark, Nick, and Jax. Everyone else is boring. And yes that includes Quentin. Every week is just him singing off key, hurting my ears, and giving the stank eye.

• Nan says:

For me Nick broke out last week with that Tom Petty song. He was singing Petty, but he was channeling Springsteen and became my favorite.

• T.B. Hammer says:

Unless Quentin or Rayvon pull a big victory out of their song choices, I also expect a twitter battle between Rayvon and Quentin as bottom 2, with Rayvon winning. There’s always a chance they could suddenly drop the twitter battle — if TPTB are afraid it will backfire on them. They suddenly pulled it out-of-the-hat , and they could suddenly kill it if they want.

• Mary says:

This twitter save is for the birds. Maybe TPTB should rethink it. The ratings have taken a dive and I think it is due to this. If I live on the west coast why bother watching they have no say in the save unless you watch the live stream for the last 5 minutes of the show. Also, believe it or not, not everyone has twitter – me. I actually stop voting because I felt my vote didn’t count. Last week was the only week I voted because I wanted to help Quentin, thought the whole incident was OTT.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

The ratings take a dive every year. Next season they will have to take a PADI certification class before going on the air.

• Tyler says:

If Quentin and Rayvon are in the bottom 2, then I predict Rayvon will be saved just as he has been saved for the past month. Why? Because Rayvon is from Virginia and Quentin is from New Orleans. The East Coast twitter votes will favor Rayvon than Quentin. You can pretty much say goodbye to Quentin.

26. Lisa says:

Anthems were last week

27. Florence+TheMachineRules!!! says:

I’m so looking forward to Quentin on tackling Miss Florence Welch!!! Like his, nicks maroon 5 choice, rayvons sam smith choice, and tyannas heaven performance!!! 😃😃😃

28. Jacob Sutton says:

I don’t know about any of the other songs, but even though I haven’t heard white flag being played at an arena (not that I go frequently) I am definitely excited to hear Jax sing “White Flag” by Dido. I’m guessing she’s going to play at least a chunk of it on piano. I think that will be one of the shining moments in the competitions. She’ll get to show off her unique and absolutely beautiful that many voters have not heard yet! Can’t wait for that. With the song by Jet, I’m guessing she’ll make that fun like she always does with uptempo songs and make me jump around in my living room lol. It’s a pretty uptempo song and I can’t see her changing the arrangement but none the less… I’m really happy for her and beyond happy that she picked the right songs this week (in my opinion) because some weeks she’s been taking huge risks. And while I have to give her major props for that because it shows a true artist and none of the other idol contestants would ever take big risks like that with song choice and arrangements, in my opinion one or two weeks have not been not been good for her (aka lady gaga arrangement)

• Jacob Sutton says:

I also think that it’s so untrue and terrible that so many people are calling Jax fake. First of all she takes big risks and that’s what a true artist does, so I don’t even know how people would call that fake in the first place. Also, the reason she did beat it (I agree, not my favorite of her performances) was because it was fun, and except for her static hair at the end, she made running around the stage look awesome instead of stupid like we’ve seen in past seasons. She didn’t want to necessarily be like or copy other artists, she just wanted to do a fun uptempo song that would get the crowd going. She also managed to keep her vocal pretty darn strong in the midst of running around. That’s thats pretty hard to do while singing. Also her voice is the most unique in the competition right now. Also her vision of Piece of my heart was different from contestants who have performed it in past years. I thought it was great! Therefore, I have no idea why people call her fake… It might be because all the girl voters who are voting for Clark want Jax to be eliminated asap so that Clark can win the whole thing without having to worry. While I don’t have anything against him his voice is absolutely great, he doesn’t really make me want to see more. His performance aspect is pretty dull. Jax is my favorite!! She’s also gonna have a big career in the industry (bigger than the others in all respect)

29. danin says:

I think Quentin,Jax&Rayvon have the better songs.Blech to poor Tyanna’s songs.And Nick too,except Maggie might get him a boost
    I’m not a big fan of Maroon Five.Clark could have a moment w/yesterday.

30. joeymeana says:

I just don’t get it. I was thinking someone was going to do some whitesnake, here I go again. Or u2s, i still haven’t found what I’m looking for. Rayvon?! Nick?! Anyone?! Why even have a theme?
    I wish they would share their top ranks from both ai and the voice! Curious to see who they would put on top!

31. Do Not Watch says:

Come on Michael…The show down with the Contestent who complained was all it took to get to the truth! What is the truth?
    The producers run the show! They say who stays, who goes! No matter what the audence or the stars say or want!
    This show, as well as the others in this area of junk, have to go!
    Tell it like it is rather then the untruth & sad, sack attitude! It all stinks!

32. lorie says:

I wonder if Nick with change his jacket 10 times during “Maggie May”.

33. Michael H. says:

If arena anthems=Jax trying to rock up White Flag, I will be dissapointed. Also why is Clark doing Boyfriend?

34. Purple says:

I like Quentin’s choices for tonight. I think Tyanna’s choices are okay. I am afraid of Maggie May and Go Your Own Way. I am not sure about the rest of it. Maybe it will be alright. I was kind of hoping that they would pick some songs with some fire or energy in them since the theme is arena anthems. This group of contestants seem kind of conservative with their song selection. Quentin and Jax seem like they will step out of their comfort zone sometimes.

35. fullyCOOKed says:

All the original artists of these songs have filled arenas. Maybe that’s all we need to know.

36. Bev says:

Nick was great on Maroon 5’s song!

37. Jill Moy says:

Isn’t it funny how everyone loved Jax from the start….EXCEPT ME! I said she was artificial from the start! Now, most people on the AI blogs can’t stand her! I find it easy to see faults from the beginning! I felt Joey wasn’t very good either! Most people like her and I can’t figure out why! She is admittingly weird an goofy and she has a strange way with words! Oh well, to each there own I guess!

38. Every time one of Idol’s speak out they are vote off.What up with that.That is it with me.