Keep or Cut: These Are the Shows You Most Want To Be Renewed!

Renew Cancel TV Shows

The votes are in, and if TVLine readers have their way, the 2015-16 broadcast TV season will continue to be populated by a mystery novelist and his muse, a famously deductive detective and lotsa badass S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.

One month ago, we invited you to vote to KEEP or CUT (or render No Opinion on) 32 network shows that had yet to be renewed (for one reason or another).

The chart below shows which percent of those who expressed an opinion voted to KEEP a show. (At the time, a few midseason series were too new to throw into the mix; their polls have been added below.)

But first, a few Indisputably Fun Poll Facts!

♦ The polls receiving the largest total number of votes were, in order, Castle, Agent Carter, Agents of SHIELD, Constantine and Hawaii Five-0.

♦ The shows receiving the highest percentage of “I have no opinion/I don’t watch” votes — thus suggesting an overwhelming sense of “meh” — were Cristela, About a Boy, Backstrom and Marry Me. Conversely, the programs eliciting the strongest opinions were Castle, Elementary, Hawaii Five-0 and Revenge.

Last year, the chart was topped by Almost Human (sad trombone), S.H.I.E.L.D. and Parenthood, while The Neighbors, Wonderland and Dads brought up the rear.

Review the results below, then vote in our “midseason straggler” polls.
Renewed Cancelled Shows

1. luke says:

Agents of Shield MUST come back. This show is hitting all the right spots right now.

On another note last The Big Bang Theory lasted 18:47. Can someone explain that…?

• abz says:

Yeah I’ve noticed how most episodes of Mike & Molly and TBBT since last season I think have bin around 18-19 min instead of the usual 21-22 min. I don’t get it. They probably want it shorter to have more commercials/money

2. CastleFan says:

I just want Castle back in the fall….with Stana and Nathan….nothing else matters in the realm of tv for me.

3. Nick says:

If there’s one thing I learned it’s that the ratings don’t quite reflect how many people watch Agents of SHIELD. And if there’s two things I learned, it’s that NOBODY is watching Undateable, and they SHOULD BE!

• Tenney says:

Thank you! Someone else who watches Undateable. It’s incredibly funny, but has a title that could drive people away. People definitely SHOULD BE watching Undateable.

• Dude says:

I just feel like it lacks buzz, a name cast, its title is boring and it’s a multi-cam comedy, it’s got a lot going against it.

• I agree 100%. I love both shows and I think Agents of Shields will be renewed. I am more worried about Undateable which is HYSTERICAL. I mean laugh out loud funny. I really hope they give it another season.

• TD says:

I think one of the main reasons Agents of SHIELD will survive is that it’s a property–and I mean that in the literal sense–that ABC is invested in. It’s part of the ABC/Disney Marvel Universe, and it’s no doubt useful enough (without hemorrhaging money) as a piece of their movie franchise promotional needs.

• Robert Dassler says:

ABC/Marvel/Disney might be invested in keeping AoS on the air but so am I and I’m pretty sure that there are plenty more people out there who feel the same way. Thankfully, I am not as cynical as some. I genuinely appreciate it as a TV show. The fact that it fulfills certain promotional needs is neither here nor there.

• J says:

I love Agents of SHIELD but the problem with it is that it is airing on the wrong night as it goes up against juggernauts NCIS & NCIS: New Orleans. That being said, the DVR ratings are through the roof. However, I do think that ABC needs to move SHIELD to another night.

• supersparkle says:

I watched an episode just for you, Nick. Undateable just does not light a fire in my pantaloons. The laugh track is really off-putting and the actors are terrible (Chris D’Elia is the only one with redeeming qualities). There are some good jokes sprinkled throughout there, but I would enjoy it so much more if it was a single-cam comedy. That said though, Undateable is much better than most of the multi-cam comedies on TV right now. So, I guess it’s the lesser of the evils.

4. dj says:

Secrets and Lies is the best TV mystery I have seen in a very long time. Even my husband is anxious to watch it week to week. Who truly is a who done it? Usually, we can figure out who the killer is, but not on this show. We are 100% stumped. Awesome job ABC

• Olivia says:

I would have watched if some moron hadn’t spoiled it in the comments a few weeks ago. I still want to check it out but I will wait until the whole season is over.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

ABC’s version filmed multiple endings, even the actors don’t know which one will air.

• Olivia says:

Oh, then I will give it a try. Thanks for the info Matt.

• mae says:

It said there is only 1 more show and looks like it will show who the killer is. I thought this was only a limited time show then it would go off the air. I have my suspictions who it is but won’t say it here. Does this show have a chance to continue?

5. Dean says:

From the polls its seems Izombie is more popular than people give it credit.

• arianeb says:

iZombie currently has the third best demographic ratings on CW behind Flash and Arrow. Odds of it being renewed are very high right now.

• Sarah T says:

It’s pretty good. A bit like if Veronica Mars became a zombie in her 20’s. ;) Not quite as witty but I think it might get there eventually and I really like the cast.

• murley says:

I feel like I have only seen positive feedback about iZombie. I am so happy it seems on track for renewal. It is my favourite new show this season and, along with Agents of Shield, one of the shows I lost hope returns!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Ditto. I’ve read only positive things, from peers and readers, and the numbers have been steady (whether with a fresh Flash in front of it or not).

6. Olivia says:

I want to keep (in order) SHIELD, iZombie, One Big Happy, Castle and although I wouldn’t be sad to see Stalker go, I’ll still watch it if it returns.

7. Backstromfan says:

I cannot understand why Backstrom is so unpopular. The pilot really wasn’t very good, admittedly, but it has such a great character base and the backstory (his private life) is pretty funny. Please give it a go, it’s the only new show from 2014/2015 that I’ll be sad to see go…

8. LADY_in_MD says:

damn I think this just confirms that mysteries of Laura will be canceled I love this show maybe nbc will be nice and renew it

9. Rose says:

Good to see Forever high on the list but I’m not holding out hope for its renewal

10. LEP says:

Couple of questions for TVLine:
    – Do you share these results with networks, or perhaps they lurk?
    – Can you share the number of voters (or a range)?

11. Mr. Tran K says:

ABC: Castle, Agents of SHIELD, Once Upon a Time, Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder. CBS: The Good Wife, NCIS: LA, Person of Interest, Elementary, Hawaii Five-0 and Blue Bloods. The CW: iZombie.

12. Jared says:

IZombie is a fun show and should definitely be renewed by the CW. I just hope the network doesn’t kill the momentum and airs season 2 during the Fall instead of midseason.

• Boiler says:

I have nothing against iZombie but I don’t normally like these type of shows. Is the “Zombie” part a huge thing or is it just a fun show? With the CW getting rid of Hart of Dixie for some reason, supposedly, maybe I’ll check it out. It is likely I am losing 4 or 5 shows this year that I regularly watched.

• John NYC says:

Probably no huger (?) than Zoe being a New Yorker….

• Leah says:

IZombie is a really cool and fun show, I would definitely recommend it. The zombie part is a big part of the show (as you would guess from the title) but it’s handled in a really interesting way. It’s nothing like the usual zombie show, the main character is one and she’s very much human and overall a lovely character. Btw, I loved hart of dixie, and I loved the way it ended :)

13. I definitely want Elementary to be renewed, but please, CBS, how about a new show runner, not to mention a writing staff with a couple more women on it? This season was so underwhelming in terms of emotional stakes for either Watson or Holmes. Watson’s reaction to her boyfriend’s murder was shamefully underdeveloped in favor of really arcane plot details. And it may have something to do with an almost all male, all white writing staff.

Canon or no, these complex plots are ridiculous and make for extremely boring, static TV. Exposition always trumps action, not to mention emotion, in terms of screen time on Elementary.

But network TV drama is about the relationships, first and foremost. That’s what sustains a series. It’s what the fandom lives for and craves, as it should. No one ever talks about a show and says, oh, did you see that great story about the box that cuts four seconds off a stock transaction? That is not what memes (nor ratings) are made of. Just check out the Elementary gifs on Tumblr to see what your viewers are after — it’s the personal twists and moments we care about (okay, and some of the fashion too).

Elementary should be aspiring to be The Good Wife, not CSI: Brownstone.

And if I can’t have more emotional stakes from Elementary, then what I really want is a Watson spinoff, ala episode 3×01. Lucy Liu is too good and too much of a badass to waste as Joan Exposition. New show runner, preferably a woman, please.

14. alistaircrane says:

Keep One Big Happy! Cut iZombie!

15. Melia says:

That was before knowing Castle could be renewed without SK … :/

16. Spence says:

I loooove SHIELD and I need it to come back! However, I personally never got behind Agent Carter and if it is renewed, I won’t be checking out a second season.

17. Cassie says:

Castle but only if Stana is on board, otherwise just cancel it

18. susan little says:

Secrets & Lies is my favorite show on TV right now. Please keep it!

19. Mercy Wright says:

Almost gave up on “Elementary” this season. Adding that second girl was so unnecessary.

20. jim says:

people actually watch these shows?

21. Grey says:

Wow, as big of fan as I am, I some how wasn’t expecting “Castle” to top the list – and in a couple of different ways. Too bad this poll means nothing to ABC. :-(

22. simon says:

Keep Castle and am very happy!

23. Sara says:

I really like iZombie and I hope it is renew. Must people don’t watch it because of the title or because of the zombies but is a funny show and it brings a new spin into the zombie thing and it keeps you interested, and the main character is also really good and funny.
    When I saw the announcement and the trailer I thought this will be awful but know I am avid fan of the show 😊
    So more people should give a try!

24. Grace says:

Hawaii 5-0 and Agent Carter, please!

25. Rick Katze says:

I agree with he top 9. The only other one on the list was CSI:Cyber which I think has possibilities and characters that could grow. Totally indifferent to everything else on the list since I don’t watch any of them.

26. Bart says:

I can not believe Cristela is so far down the list…..especially when I see those awful shows like “Nashville”,” Last man standing” and “the middle” up higher…..this is unreal!!! People are tired of the same old actors being used in the same old ways…..Come On ABC, Get real….this is why you guys are not the number one broadcasters…..you are stuck in using the same old people….for those that voted to keep these shows, there is better stuff to watch and better actors.

27. AnneTM says:

I really like Backstrom. It’s quircky. Some shows take awhile to catch on. I hope Fox gives it a chance.

28. herman1959 says:

I can’t believe that Resurrection only got a 41% Keep vote; I hope it comes back.

29. veronica says:

I need castle, I need forever, I need mindy, & I need the middle. is that too much to ask?

30. Agents of Shield all the way! One of the best shows on TV right now!

31. Bill Hoover says:

you sure missed bunch of shows like scorpion, the black list, Agent Carter is not one of the better ones it’s boring.

• Grey says:

The list is for the shows “on the bubble.” “Scorpion” is not in any danger of being cancelled therefore no need to poll about it. Likewise, “The Blacklist” has already been renewed by NBC so need to include it. You might want to re-read the narrative of the article – or read it for the first time. I’m not trying to be mean, I’m just saying. Sometimes I jump right to the poll results instead of reading the parameters. Is that what you did?

32. lame says:

If Castle is coming back with 13 episodes, bring back Agent Carter with 10 episodes in the same time slot. Chances are it won’t happen. Hayley Atwell is a motion picture caliber actress and would require a higher financial starting point than anyone on Castle. Po

33. What, no poll slot for Galavant, especially after the way its run concluded?

34. pamelastuckey says:

I want to see Forever, Hawaii Five O, Blue Blood and Hell on Wheels come back for a few more seasons. I really love these shows, they are really good.

35. I’m sad to see Backstrom so low on that list. I really enjoy it.

36. Shelby says:

I could watch Nathan and Stan all day long. There acting and connection with each other is superb!!!! What a pleasure to watch……

37. Thelma says:

I watch all of the CSI shows, Elementary , Casle. Mysteries of Laura. ILOVE these shows. I pray they don’t cancel these. If I can’t watch for some reason I tape the show so I don’t miss anything. PLEASE DONT CANCEL!!!!!!’

38. Thelma says:

I watch all of the CSI shows, Elementary , Casle. Mysteries of Laura and Bones. ILOVE these shows. I pray they don’t cancel these. If I can’t watch for some reason I tape the show so I don’t miss anything. PLEASE DONT CANCEL!!!!!!’

39. Linda says:

PLEASE keep Castle, Hawaii 5-0, Blue Bloods, and NCIS:LA. I am handicapped and these shows help me make it through the week with some sanity left! Everything else that love has already been cancelled so I depend on these to kind of fill in the gaps of an otherwise boring week!

40. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

But of course SHIELD is coming back. Why take out Coulson and May when they’re planning a spinoff with Hunter and Mockingbird? Canceling SHIELD is counterproductive to the point that it’s produced a spinoff

41. Liz says:

I hope you guys are passing along these polls to the higher ups at each of the networks!

42. The most important or me it`s Castle, not for 13 ep but as usual 23 and for many seasons.

43. Shara says:

People, people…”Weird Loners” is so consistently FUNNY! Give it a chance..watch NOW before it gets the ax. It’s really humorous and worth watching.

44. Cobra says:

Oh, for the love…
    CBS owns Elementary, and it is reaching syndication numbers. One of it’s crew tweeted that he’s been asked to direct three episodes “next season.” CBS is not going to cancel Elementary, despite its numbers. Almost every other source lists this as a sure-thing renewal.

45. e m hamlet says:

Backstrom is a really intelligent show. Do not understand the ambivalence…

46. Grace says:

So Forever and Agents of Sheild is all I care about. Forever is has the best story line because it’s about a man who is 235 years old and he investigates murders in New York. And agents of Sheild it connected with the Marvel cinematic universe.

47. Christin says:

Why werent the Fans asked about keeping Revenge? Cancelling Revenge is aweful!! Love Emily and alot more storyline could be written! VERY Dissapointed!

48. Mary says:

I love Castle and along with following the current storyline, I’m watching the show again in syndication! I hope it returns with cast intact.

49. Brenda says:

My fear of Forever being cancelled has come true. I don’t get ABC. This was a well written show, the cast is great and it was unique. I will miss this show a lot. I hope maybe another network will pick it up.

50. Nancy nix says:

Loved forever hate that it’s been cut.