Report: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Spinoff to Star Adrianne Palicki & Nick Blood

Agents of SHIELD Spinoff Palicki Blood

ABC’s reported Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff is going the Mr. & Mrs. Smith route.

S.H.I.E.L.D. stars Nick Blood and Adrianne Palicki — who play ex-husband-and-wife duo Lance Hunter and Barbara “Bobbi” Morse, AKA Mockingbird — are being eyed to headline the offshoot, per our sister site Deadline.

Story elements yet to come in S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s second season will lay the groundwork for the prospective series, but there won’t be a “planted spinoff” episode, per se.

The project is being penned by S.H.I.E.L.D. executive producer Jeffrey Bell (whose writing credits also include Angel and The X-Files) and co-exec producer Paul Zbyszewski (Hawaii Five-0, Lost).

Palicki and Blood both joined the mothership drama this season as the newest members of Coulson’s team.

1. Kalee says:

So “Mockingbird” basically?

2. titoveli says:

fail … DC >>>> marvel

3. S says:

I lost interest in her when she turned out to be a traitor… hard to salvage the character at this point.

• JP says:

She’s not simply a traitor, that sound as if she was Hydra, she is still good and clearly conflicted about her actions.

• Tamim says:

I think she’s currently loyal to the first group of SHIELD she started with. Remember, she wasn’t originally a Coulson groupie, she was on the other boat. That made Coulson’s team the upstart and potential “traitor”. But Bobbie has had a few moments with “a look” in response to things she is ordered to do or overhears (that she doesn’t let anyone else see) that leads me to believe that she will come around to Coulson’s view of SHIELD. Remember, in a year or so Civil War is going to break out in the film/tv Marvel universe. I think this divided SHIELD is just the beginning warning signs of that divide – similar to the political atmosphere of the 1850s USA

• ? says:

Coulson running all of Shield closes off too many story possibilities so this is how they’re going to start building the organization into something big enough again with enough resources that he can plausibly go off leading his field team into exciting adventures like he’s supposed to be doing. If you think Bobbi’s a traitor, you haven’t been paying attention. The Hydra infiltration was traumatic for all of them and they’re learning to trust each other again, that’s all.

Though I really hate Hunter and I wish he’d fall into a black hole. (To be fair I said the same thing about Ward last season, though, and it turned out they had a plan for making him interesting all along.)

Bobbi can stay. May can’t be the only muscle on the team.

4. Josh says:

Mockingbird is YAY but not so much Nick Blood’s character. He’s fun and all but neither his character nor his relationship with Bobbi is enough to help carry a show.

5. Michelle says:

I don’t like them together! Boo.

• Tamim says:

I don’t either! I actually love Nick’s character, but they don’t click for me. Now if they become good exes, I think I could go for that. And not jealous-but-I-want-us-to-see-other-people exes. Genuine friendly “I’ll always love the moments we had, but now we aren’t together that way” kind of exes.

6. iPortman says:

So they’re taking the best inclusions of season 2 (character wise) and removing them for season 3? Smart move, ABC, smart move!

7. msemmyjones says:

Huh. It’s not like SHIELD is doing all that well ratings wise. I mean, it’s a decidedly bubble show. And Agent Carter, despite the fact that I loved it, is in much the same boat. Shouldn’t they maybe work on making the shows they already have into hits before spinning off anything more?

• Danielle says:

I agree. I’d much rather see Agent Carter renewed than have this as a new show. Agent Carter was really was a solid show all around. I’m all for shows with strong females in leading roles, I just don’t find Bobbi to be as interesting as say Peggy or Melinda. It doesn’t help that Adrienne and Nick have ZERO chemistry.

• It’s not really a bubble show.

• msemmyjones says:

Considering it keeps coming up in conversations over whether or not it has the numbers to get renewed, I would certainly consider it a bubble show. Its last episode only clocked in about 4 million viewers.

• Temperance says:

1) The numbers are meaningless. 2) The 7 day numbers are great. 3)The demo is very good. 4) It’s good to be in business with Marvel.

• Ella says:

LOL, this. Totally agree. SHIELD is not strong enough to be spinning off its under developed and, frankly, uninteresting characters,

8. m3rcnate says:

Will get cancelled. SHIELD already seems to live on the bubble (most likely only surviving because its a Marvel property and Disney owns ABC and Marvel and they want it on to do things like they are doing with Skye and the Inhumans for the movie universe) but this show? Mockingbird (just a chick with batons, color me unimpressed) and her british ex husband doesnt really interest me. If this was on Netflix or Cable? Yeah…but more ABC Marvel shows? Nah. Tired of shows with very little consequences in a Disney-afied universe with way too much melodrama and what not.
    Now if they announced this and said it was going to be a 10 episode “event” that they have planned out (a beginning, middle, and end) then i’d say my interest was peaked and they got me for at least 2 episodes.
    TL:DR: How can a show thats on the bubble spawn a spin-off with a kinda interesting character (Mockingbird) and not interesting character (Blood) and get the same or better numbers than its parent show (SHIELD)?

• Nilknarf says:

According to the latest zap2it numbers, it is #1 in its time slot, so I’m not sure why you’re saying the ratings aren’t good.

• m3rcnate says:

Zap2it:
        April 14th:
        9:00 PM
        CBS NCIS: New Orleans 1.8/6 14.06
        ABC Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 1.6/5 3.91
        …..sooooo 14.06mil viewers vs 3.91mil viewers on April 14th….it only got #1 because of L+3
        (S.H.I.E.L.D. jumped +56% (or +0.9 rating points) over its L+SD Adult 18-49 rating compared to a +33% (+0.6 rating points) L+3 playback increase for NCIS: NO.)
        Thats still (live) 14.06mil vs (live) 3.91mil.

“the series premiere nabbed 12.12 million viewers, but just 5.45 for the finale” -Screenrant.
        ” Deadline revealed that the season two premiere of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. scored a 2.1 fast national (meaning, the number of people who watched the show live) number, which is greatly below the figure achieved by last year’s series debut (4.6). That’s about a 59 percent drop, which is quite alarming.”-Screenrant
        The only reason the show hasn’t been a complete free fall and been cancelled is because of the effect Winter Soldier had on the show and because its a Marvel show, owned by Disney as is ABC…they own everything so its cheaper for them and they want the show on the air. If Disney didnt own ABC i’d bet this show would have gotten cancelled (or at least not picked up for S3).

• Temperance says:

‘Live’ numbers are meaningless anymore. No one in the demo watches TV in realtime. The 7 days numbers captured outside of Neilsen are great, and very good in the demo.

• m3rcnate says:

Yet by not being live, they are recorded…and therefore the advertisements (what the network cares about, how they make their MONEY) are fast forwarded….hence why live is viewed as so much better. Networks arent putting out shows to have the commercials/ads completely skipped over, they arent trying to put out free content.

• Madison M. says:

I was with you until Your “chick with batons” comment. Your subtle sexism ruined the novel that came after.

Don’t alienate before you bloviate.

• m3rcnate says:

Its what she is. In a world with guns, super powered humans and aliens…she is a tall chick with batons. Thats it. Its not cause shes a chick, if she was a dude with batons i would call lame. Only in a show based off a comic book is a person running around in a world with batons not guns or at least a sword or something. Come on. No sexism, its called a desire for realism…at least on Daredevil (Netflix series) when he fights and uses his batons (at the end) he is up against regular human beings, no super powered people. Obviously Mockingbird doesnt have an aversion to killing…so why no guns? why no blades? At least Black Widow dual wields pistols (still pretty lame when shooting 9mm or .40cal at armored aliens) and May is an absolute ninja who utilizes weapons (guns, etc). But just…the baton chick? Nah, i need a superhero show to be about more.

• KCC says:

A long winded response that does just the opposite of what you intended. Sorry to be the PC police, but it’s referring to a woman as a “chick” that demonstrates a disrespect for women, not that you find the character’s choice of weapons “lame.” Using the term “chick” might be acceptable within your social group, but in a social setting where anyone and everyone can read what you have to say, you risk alienating large groups of people. Also, Bobbi seems to be doing fine with using “just” batons as weapons. If you can suspend your disbelief enough to accept super powered humans and aliens why not a woman with batons that is force to be reckoned with.

• m3rcnate says:

Lol so now “chick” is off the table? PC police “female” will you please grab a dictionary and with a red marker mark a line through every english word i am unable to now use because of political correctness? Thanks.
            Chick to me is the same as if i said “bro” about guys, or “dude”. “Did you see that chick using Batons? LAME!”…..”Did you see that dude fighting with batons? LAAAAME”. Same thing.
            Lol shes doing just fine because the writers arent writing real scenarios. Give me a pistol and i could take her down cause batons vs a world where the bad guys are heavily armed or have super powers is beyond moronic.
            If i told you that you are going to go fight some CIA agents, a SEAL team and a rogue group of assassins along with a group of evil super powered inhumans…and i laid before you all the weapons on earth to chose from…do you think even in the top 50 of your options would be you picking up BATONS?! I’m supposed to believe Mockingbird picked up batons and passed on guns, blades, swords, tech, etc..and went for sticks?

• KCC says:

@m3rcnate First of all I’m not a “chick” I’m a “dude.” I’m guessing you put quotes around “female” because you don’t know my gender and wanted to insult me by calling me a “female” if I was a male. Another example of sexism and I’m not insulted. Second, use the word “chick” all you want when referring to women, just be prepared to be ignored or be called a sexist and having any point you’re trying make being unread as the original poster implied. My point is you won’t find professional writers or anyone writing for a publication that refers to women as “chicks.”
            From dictionary.com:
            chick (noun)
            1. a young chicken or other bird.
            2. a child.
            3. Slang: Often Offensive. a term used to refer to a girl or young woman.
            So the dictionary is already marked for you.

• Temperance says:

Actually, there are numerous articles that explain how happy that the network is with SHIELD. It’s 7 day numbers are great and good in the demo. It’s not going anywhere.

• m3rcnate says:

As opposed to….them saying how unhappy they are with their own show on their own network owned by the company who owns both? LMAO. Yeah like that would ever happen. Like i said, cause Disney owns everything they dont have to share any cut, and its synergistic with their Marvel Cinematic Universe….they are much more accepting of lower ratings than if this was a show they didnt own and have 100% creative rights to do w/e they wanted with and had a vested interest in it continuing.

• Robert Dassler says:

Dude. AoS isn’t going anywhere, no matter how much you desperately want it to be canceled. Move on.

• m3rcnate says:

Lol its a comment section, im commenting, not all comments have to be positive and rainbows and butterflies and circle jerks. The viewership is falling and most critics agree at best its average. Im not saying i want it to be cancelled, i actually have some fun watching it (like Skye a lot, liked Ward a lot before the made him a psycho stalker and like Fitz a lot).

9. Mikazuki says:

Wow. So not interested. Why is ABC wasting money on second string characters like this? Ugh! Stick with Agent Carter and make SHEILD better! Ridiculous.

10. A show with JUST Mockingbird would be good. We don’t need the will they/won’t they featuring the horrible chemistry between this ex-husband and ex-wife team.

11. TVlineFangirl says:

Too bad, Hunter has been a great add to the show/team especially since we lost Ward. I love his loyalty to Coulson. I like Bobbi too, in small doses, but she does not compare to May. However, I think ABC would be better off focusing on SHIELD instead of spreading viewers/resources so thin. Unless this an “event” ala Agent Carter, but even then I would rather more Agent Carter.

12. Too bad Renner couldn’t be Hawkeye on a weekly TV series.

13. Katherine215 says:

I love these two and would absolutely watch a spinoff about them. However, they are the best additions to Shield this year so I’m not sure it’s a good idea to send them elsewhere…

14. nhogan47 says:

I love both characters WHERE THEY ARE. Can we just leave them on SHIELD, please?

• Tamim says:

Oh I agree. I mean, I can see how a show with them both might work, but I love the levity that Nick brings and the rapport that he seems to have with Coulson. Everyone else on the team has been through so much, they don’t really have reasons to laugh. Nick sees things to laugh about in everything – even bad stuff. Bobbi I have issues with, but mostly because I am yelling at the TV telling her to see that her version of “the real SHIELD” is not a group of good people – at least maybe they were at one time (though I strongly suspect some kind of still-hidden Hydras in there) but now they are scared and scared people can do some really stupid stuff – especially if they group up with other scared people.

15. Drew says:

So every reason they gave to watch AoS this season (the new, more interesting characters) is being taken away? I mean, the show is still weak (it is turning into 24 with a new mole each season) but at least the new people were a little interesting.

16. Darla says:

I love Bobbi & Hunter – but I must say I dislike this idea. SHIELD finally is living up to all of its potential this season, and that is in part due to the addition of these two characters to the fold. I feel like this choice would not bode well for SHIELD as a whole. Maybe after another season it wouldn’t hurt the series as much, but not this early in the game.

17. Chris says:

I’ve already lost interest in SHIELD…. I don’t see myself caring about this. Ditto for Arrow/Flash and their new spinoff and the Supergirl show. Does no one care about over-saturation of this market?

• Rob Britt says:

“Lost interest” i,e. These shows are over my head. Since the writers won’t dumb them down to my level, I will pout and quit…and because my opinion is o-so-important, I will tell everyone about it.

That is the TL;PDCWYT version of your post. I better translate. You aren’t real bright.
      Too Long;People Don’t Care What You Think. Every show you mentioned is very strong. The shortcomings are between your ears, and have nothing to do with the show. Heard of something called Scooby-Doo? Give it a try. It’s probably more your intellectual level.

• Madison M. says:

Your opinion on his opinion was long winded. Also, your use of “real” as a quantifier for “bright” undercuts your ability to interpret anyone else’s intellectual level.

• Chris says:

OP: Actually, I think that with what’s about to be almost 10 superhero based shows (2 SHIELDs [and maybe Agent Carter], Arrow/Flash + their spinoff, Supergirl, Daredevil, AKA Jessica Jones, & Heroes) plus the over abundance of superhero films from both Marvel (and its off-shoots) and DC on the slate for the next 5 years with multiple releases each year, the superhero genre is getting far too overcrowded. It’s nearly impossible for someone to invest fully in all of these realms and not miss some of the aspects that bleed into other media without feeling burnt out. I think SHIELD was very successful in how it’s transitioned and blended the MCU into the show – I just had zero connection to Agent Carter or this spinoff so why would I waste my energy and time to watch a show that will offer one or two interesting tidbits that will inevitably be shared and dissected widely on the internet within hours? For Arrow/Flash, I think they’ve done a great job with developing the main casts, but the periphery characters that will make up the other show aren’t very intriguing on their own nor do they really have a depth of canon to sustain without the support of the primary shows.

I do think it’s quite interesting that you automatically assumed that a) I’m unintelligent and b) that I’m quitting the shows without giving them a chance. This is an open forum and you can say what you’d like, sure, but it seems more like you’re the one pouting and complaining.

18. Katie says:

Meh. I like both the characters… separately. Together? No thanks.

That said, there are still several episodes left to go, so I’ll reserve judgment until I see what the “groundwork” is.

19. Deena says:

There goes my dream for a Coulson/Hunter buddy-action-comedy spinoff…

20. DRush76 says:

Oh no! We have to deal with a series with Bobbie Morse and Whatshisname over a new series with Agent Carter? Oh God! How disappointing.

21. Matt says:

Maybe we are moving Bobbi off to bring in Sharon Carter since it looks like Emily van camp is becoming available.

• Tom says:

I love this idea, FWIW. OR Emily Van Camp can be apart of the spinoff and get Cobie Smulders full time on AoS. Either way, I just love the MCU and I can’t wait to see how they incorporate this new show into it.

22. Ray says:

So a spinoff of a spinoff that already not many people care about? Sounds like a winner in my book.

23. Tom says:

I’m not a comic book person so can anyone who is give us an educated guess on what this show would be?

24. Joey Padron says:

Bummer Hunter is gonna leave Shield. He’s been a great additon to Coulson’s team. Hope there could been some crossovers with both shows.

25. Joey Padron says:

Bummer Hunter is gonna leave Shield. He’s been a great additon to Coulson’s team. Hope there could be some crossovers with both shows.

26. Vivi says:

Well, I would think that secures both of them regarding survival in the rest of the season. As for the idea: Nooooooo! I like them so much on THIS series, don´t spinn them off! It will get canceled and then there are gone (yeah, I´m not really an optimist…).

27. Rick Katze says:

Having read about it first on the Hollywood Reporter and looking at the highlights of Tuesday’s episode, I suspect Grant Ward will be reintegrated into Shield probably in season 3. How Ward and Skye will function could be an interesting situation. Looking back at the stories once the split occurred, for the most part, no one did anything truly evil and all seemed to arguing more on how Shield should be reborn. The next two weeks should be interesting since they need to tie up a lot of loose ends for Avengers 2 unless they simply decide to downplay Shield which does not seem likely considering who is in the movie.

• O.M. says:

“no one did anything truly evil”
      How about Ward killing many SHIELD agents and trying to kill Fitzsimmons (and don’t give me ‘he was trying to save them because he knew they’ll get out of that situation’ stuff because he had NO idea where the plane was at the time he dropped them off and he could have ‘saved’ them differently and not causing Fitz to become someone he always feared to be – someone who can’t control his hands (VERY important to an engineer) and his mind (the only thing he liked about himself)), lying to Skye, manipulating her etc. There was A LOT of evil stuff going on.

Still like the idea of him returning to the team, mostly because I want to see more interactions between Fitz and Ward, and how the former will react after hearing that he’s going to have to work with a man who tried to kill him and his best friend/someone he cares about most in the world.

28. Ella says:

Ugh, no please. The characters have zero chemistry and this never even existed in the comics. Plus, Palicki cannot hold her own series.

29. Gerald says:

Love them both as part of COULSON’S TEAM!!!! Don’t spin them off. It is a bit of an insult that Coulson can’t hold a core team together.
    Plus I hate it when show runners are spread too thin on their shows. Keep the quality of Agents of Shield, forget about quantity (same rule applies to the ATOM spin off from Arrow and Flash.)

30. Mark says:

No this is a good thing because this can one or two ways first way is with the current story line with the inhumans we can go down the route of the secret avengers who fight the Superhuman registration act right out of x men (probably called something else in this because of the rights argument).. or the second way would be west coast avengers which then starts the whole civil wears story line off either way it builds to one or the other future Marvel movies….I go for the second one as this would open the door for more of the current crop of movie avengers to do cameos

31. lariet50 says:

See, I love Hunter, but I’ve never found Bobbi that interesting. There’s going to have to be a LOT more going on with this show to justify it being a spinoff. I just feel like this doesn’t make sense.

• Robert Dassler says:

Adrianne Palicki and Nick Blood’s agents probably think differently. I’m pretty sure that they think their respective clients are popular and charismatic to lead their own show. This is showbiz. The same kind of showbiz that keeps the MCU movie people from making appearances on AoS. Their multi-movie / million dollar deals don’t include TV guest spots. If ABC wants their services they will have to pay the going rate.