Sábado Gigante to End in September

Millions of gente are going to have to find some other way to fill their Saturday nights: Sábado Gigante is coming to a close.

The long-running, Spanish-language variety series hosted by a man calling himself Don Francicso will broadcast its final episode on Sept. 19, the Miami Herald reported Friday.

Don Francisco (whose real name is Mario Kreutzberger) will discuss the series’ cancellation during this Saturday’s broadcast. The network declined to comment to the Herald about the reasons behind the show’s ending.

RELATED 2015 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

For the uninitiated, Sábado Gigante — the title literally translates to “giant Saturday” — is a three-hour weekly mash-up of game show, confessional chatfest, talent contest and sketch comedy.

Kretuzberger began hosting the series (which aired on Sunday and was called Show Dominical) in Chile in 1962. The series moved to another Chilean channel, which broadcast it on Saturday and changed the name to Sábados Gigantes, in 1963. The series gained its new home at Univision, and its singular title, when the host moved to Miami in 1986.

Per the HeraldSábado Gigante averages 2.9 million viewers a week and attracts 100 million viewers in 40 countries.

Kreutzberger will remain with Univision, developing talent and hosting specials.

1. Will says:

Wow this is a huge deal, it’s been on for 53 years!

Coming from a latino family, this show is a huge fabric of the culture. I wonder why they just didn’t get a new host or something..

2. titoveli says:

wow never thought this show will end thought they will replace the dude and keep going .. show is a classic

3. Oddie says:

About time cause after 53 yrs on the air!! I think it was REALLY time to goooooooooooooooo

4. ed says:

this is weird, to me this is like NBC canceling SNL. this is a blow to my childhood.

5. Patty says:

I grew up with this show, but once I moved out into my own home, I never really watched it anymore. However, it IS a staple in my parents’ house. I know my mom will be sad :(

6. dman6015 says:

I don’t even speak Spanish, but I’ll flip it on occasionally. It’s not PC, but it’s fun to watch.

7. Babygate says:

Omg! My parents watch this religiously. This is a big frakking deal for the Hispanic community.

• ninamags says:

Depends on what Hispanic community you are talking about. I’ve never seen that show in my life. Neither have any of my relatives.

Yes, we all have better taste than that.

8. freedom of speech says:

GOOD RIDDANCE !! ABOUT TIME , BEGUN GREEDY OLD MAN.

9. WhatAmIWatching says:

Oh man…it’s more like when Johnny Carson retired, but if he didn’t hand the reigns to Leno. If the show just….ended.

@Patty, totally agree….I watched it growing up, and we even played the board game (ha!), but never watched it again after I moved out.

I think that it’s one of the last great legacies of TV times of the past….live “commercials,” variety show, iconic host, song-and-dance. It’s SUCH a throwback to an old school way of doing TV.

Viva Don Francisco!