Vampire Diaries Recap: Mama's Boy

Vampire Diaries Recap

Thursday’s Vampire Diaries, the first new episode to air since Nina Dobrev announced her impending departure, dropped a potential clue about her character’s exit strategy — a big, fat, obvious clue.

It started with Elena’s faux-happiness over Jo’s pregnancy, which Alaric’s baby mama immediately saw through. Then came Elena’s moment of blatant self-loathing: “There’s always going to be a part of me that’s capable of doing what [Stefan and Caroline are] doing.”

You know what else didn’t help? Matt rejecting Elena’s blood at the hospital — more on that later — and venting his own personal frustrations about the troublesome vampires in his life.

This girl is over being a vampire in every conceivable way, and I can’t say I blame her. That little speech she gave to Damon about letting herself be sad for a minute broke my damn heart. (Take the cure, girl! Take it and run!)

Vampire Diaries RecapKILLER KARAOKE | Meanwhile. Caroline and Stefan’s tour de madness continued with a twisted game of “Caroline Trivia,” in which Matt and Tyler answered questions about their mutual ex, competing for the grand prize of… staying alive. (It was basically that episode of Friends with the contest, only Monica never threatened to eat Joey or Chandler.) Matt attempted to quell Tyler’s wolf-y rage, but as always, his best intentions put him in harm’s way — and the hospital. Womp, womp.

FAMILY THERAPY | Fortunately, Lily — with a little coaching from Damon — was able to flip Stefan’s humanity switch. All it took was a gut-wrenching trip down memory lane, in which she apologized for not sticking around to protect Stefan from his father’s judgment. As a thank-you for helping out, Damon handed the Ascendent over to Lily, unaware that the “friends” she plans to bring back from 1903 are actually half-witch/half-vampire “Heretics,” described as being like Kai… with more bloodlust. And there are six of them.

Vampire Diaries RecapROCK THE BOAT | We entered this week’s episode wondering about Enzo’s mysterious “connection” to Lily Salvatore, and within minutes, we had our answer: She’s the one who turned him into a vampire! Via flashbacks to 1903, we learned that Enzo was dying of consumption aboard a boat to America, when Lily rescued him by turning him into a member of the undead community — if you can call that rescuing. As Enzo put it, “She made me a monster, then abandoned me.”

TVD fans, your thoughts on this week’s developments? Elena’s future? The arrival of these so-called “Heretics”? Drop ’em all in the comments section below.

1. Kevin says:

s6 of tvd is a definite step up from s5 and parts of s4 thats for sure

2. Kevin says:

Still don’t understand what the purpose of Enzo in this show

• Remy says:

It should be Damon’s buddy. I don’t know why they haven’t utilized that this season.

• Andy Swift says:

The powers-that-be have been rather honest about Enzo’s storyline this season. Julie Plec on Twitter referred to his prolonged grudge against Stefan as a “misstep.”

• ChrisGa says:

Haha, “misstep” is putting it nicely. LOVED Enzo when he was introduced and was happy to hear he was upgraded but he’s been intolerable this entire season. Wish they’d put him with Caroline.

• rarefied says:

When they announced last summer that one of the three wouldn’t be returning, JP also said they had a plan. I’ve been suspecting that he’s being set up to carry on the show, perhaps with Sarah as his love interest.

3. amy says:

I don’t know what was more painfully boring to watch, Dullena or Caroline. Funny thing is I like Caroline, just not in a leading role. She is not leading lady material. I don’t get the writers though. I mean it is obvious that so many people stopped watching the show because of Delena. Why not give the former viewer back Stelena, even if it’s for a short while. End the show high. btw, Dullena is boring

• Yanez says:

There’s no way Stelena will work now. They’ve gone too far with the Dullena storyline. Since Nina is leaving the show there’s zero chance of Stelena ever happening. Another thing about this episode that really annoyed me is now all of a sudden witches can be vampires. For the past 5 seasons that was impossible. That was the whole “Originals” storyline that a vampire can not be a witch and all of a sudden they can. Whatever.

• Elizabeth says:

The writers find a loophole when they want something to happen. But this season is way better then last they will be ok without elena

• Sims says:

I disagree with so much of your comment, and so would/do many of the tumblrs and twitters I follow. You don’t like Delena, that’s fine, but accept that others do. As for not thinking Caroline is lead material, what show have you been watching??? It’s certainly not TVD because she’s the most compelling character on there!

• Fran says:

You might want to take a page out of your own book and accept that not everyone thinks the same as you do… Personally I love Caroline but understand and accept that not everyone does.

• Elizabeth says:

I wanted Stefan and elena back more then.anything but there is not enough.time left. Even if she becomes human again it would take time. With her leaving we have no more hope but now that I know this I just want Stefan happy if Caroline can make.him happy I’m happy it’s been how.sad he has been that’s upset me the most. And Caroline is a good person in season 1 I didn’t like her but now I think she is wonderful even if she has slept with every man on the show

4. jerrired says:

My guess is that this herectics twist will bleed over to The Originals, and if Kol (Nate) returns, he’ll be one. Otherwise, I don’t see the point of writing a storyline that goes against the rules their series setup.

• AnnieM says:

I don’t think they are much for rules, period. Has it EVER been fully explained how Klaus was able to father a baby?

• Anna says:

Maybe his wolf part

• jerrired says:

True but that’s like the golden rule of the show. They’re really just tossing out all their rules this season. It’s a mess. I thought it was because his wolf side was still sort of human, or at least alive. That’s why he could produce offsprings.

5. Liza says:

Why do they have to rotate characters? Tonight we got Tyler, Matt and Enzo, but no Bonnie or Alaric. They are never in the same episode and it so frustrating. I don’t blame Michael Trevino one bit for leaving. They have been giving him a raw deal for three years now. And why bring Alaric back to have him appear so sporadically?

6. Riana says:

So I can’t help but wonder if they plan to promote Tristin Mays for Season 7. Fun fact, if they do, she’d be the first female character to be promoted to regular (Even though Rebekah appeared in more episodes than some regulars in Seasons 3 and 4 and actually appeared in more episodes than Jenna ever did.

7. AnnieM says:

Okay, so Enzo was finally kind of interesting. Still a copy of Spike, but much more tolerable now that he’s given up on the ‘revenge’ nonsense. And how awesome was Candace Accola’s Pat Benatar? I love hearing her sing. 😊

8. zed says:

Where is an Original hybrid when you need one?)LOL, I know fighting an evil witch, but seriously I wishe Klaus walked in that bar and just snapped Caroline’s neck and put her in a coffin! Or, no better- kick the humanity back on. Candice can sing, but the choice of the song was so out of tune. Right, actually, stripping Tyler of being a hybrid was the lamest idea ever- some decisions made by EP I will never understand. Anyway, about Elena- as you said Andy- come on Elena, take the cure and run!!!! Could they make the foreshadowing visible from another Galaxy or what? Plus, seriously, Delena and their fake I-love-yous so cringeworthy.They made everything about Delena the oppposite of epic!
    And- about the twist- that now we have habrid witch-vampire! Bonnie will be very busy soon!! They really need to make Bonnie into a super witch now cos everything else would not make a sense!!! And there is an idea- maybe she will become also a vampire-witch!! BAMON always and forever!

• Cass says:

That’s what I’m thinking. Elena gets the cure and leaves while Bonnie becomes a witch / vampire hybrid to take on Lilly and her “family” – Bonnie will be super powerful and maybe have a romantic relationship with Damon. Perhaps they will have a time jump next season? #Bamon

• zed says:

They need a time jump so they could be in the same timeline with the Originals and EPs should definitely have crossovers as both shows need one another in my opinion!

Klaus and Co will need Bonnie too- and togehter they make epic shows!!!

• Daenerys Targaryen says:

I so do NOT want Bonnie to become a vampire! First off, she doesn’t need to be a witchpire to defeat Lily and her brood because Bonnie is the only witch in history who can channel all kinds of magic: Traditional, Spirit, Ancestral and Expression. Also, Bonnie is not a siphon witch like Kai is. And as many times that Damon has betrayed and brought pain to Bonnie’s life I am not liking a Bamon union.

9. evette says:

Think the story line is way too allover the place.With Elena leaving,what’s,the point? She should marry Stephan and its happily ever after.Or marry a nonvampie and live a normal life! The end.It was a great show! Butnow it feels so

10. evette says:

Over:(

11. liame says:

That was the longest episode ever. OMG! $#&^#@!

12. Brigid says:

It took 41 minutes in for something interesting to happen, I was looking at Facebook until Lily came in the bar. This show, UGH! Caroline is horrible evil, it’s so forced and cringeworthy, not believable at all. I wanted Matt and Tyler to just tell her kill us already, Who cares, You’re so lame as evil, we just want out. LOL Stefan and Bonnie are the only characters I can stomach. Elena, take the cure and run girl, run as fast as you can because this show is finished. It’s all over the place. Put a stake in it already, Julie Plec killed it.

• Daenerys Targaryen says:

True. Julie Plec can’t write for you-know-what. And to think they’re about to give her another show.

13. Baileigh says:

At least Caroline knew that her mother loved her when she died, Damon doesn’t even have that anymore. The look on his face when his own mother told him that she no longer loved him or Stefan was heart breaking and this will be something he will have to carry alone, for the time being. When Elena dies (or whatever will happen to her) she will leave Damon to, just like his mother and Katherine. If any vampire on this show deserves to turn off their humanity just to take a minute and breath its Damon. When (and if) Damon turns off his humanity I think it will be the first time in the history of the show that he has done so.

14. YoJoLo says:

How did Enzo get cured of consumption (tuberculosis) is supposedly vampire blood didn’t heal sick people? Caroline’s mother and that guy Caroline experimented on in the hospital still died from cancer. So vampire blood can cure TB but not cancer. Whatever!