Ratings: NCIS Hits Series Low; iZombie, POI, S.H.I.E.L.D., Undateable Tick Up

NCIS Series Low Ratings

CBS’ NCIS this Tuesday drew 15.8 million total viewers and a 2.0 rating (per finals), down 7 percent and one tenth and hitting a series low in the demo.

Leading out of that, NCIS: New Orleans (14.4 mil/1.8) ticked up a tenth, while Person of Interest (9.2 mil/1.5) rose two tenths.

Elsewhere….

NBC | The Voice (10.7 mil/2.5) slipped two tenths the demo week-to-week, Undateable (5.1 mil/1.5) ticked up and One Big Happy (3.6 mil/1.1) dipped.

ABC | Fresh Off the Boat (4.8 mil/1.5) and Repeat After Me (3.1 mil/1.0) ticked up, SHIELD (4 mil/1.6) rose to its best demo number of 2015 and a Jimmy Kimmel rerun (2.5 mil/0.9) matched Forever’s most recent rating.

THE CW | The Flash (3.7 mil/1.4) inched up a tenth, while iZombie (1.9 mil/0.8) rose 9 percent and a tenth.

FOX | Hell’s Kitchen (3.6 mil/1.3) rose a tenth. Leading out of New Girl rerun, Weird Loners slipped to 1.4 mil and a 0.6.

1. Dennis says:

LOVE iZombie!

2. Georgia Madman says:

Love iZombie too. And the new boyfriend has potential until Major makes his move.

3. Dean says:

The overzealous NCIS ‘fans’ are going to have a field day with this series low news. Izombie seems to be doing solid and NBC still can’t crack it with comedies.

• dan says:

Tried to watch One Big Happy on NBC. It was terrible! I expected better from Ellen DeGeneres. I made it through about 10 minutes and then gave up.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Everyone is behaving so far, it’s very refreshing! A real “Kum Ba Yah” moment.

• Erin says:

In what way are the rabid fans going to have a field day re NCIS? I’ve tuned out of the fandom and barely watch the show anymore so not surprised. Used to adore it but the characters became caricatures fur the most part with no real growth, the cases predictable and by the number and the big arcs and episodes underwhelming with no consequence or impact. It’s like they’ve diluted the original product when they’ve expanded the franchise. It got worse with every new NCIS. So I’m kinda glad it’s not doing as well. Maybe they’ll shake it up a bit and return it to it’s former glory.

Glad shield and the flash are doing better, very deserved. Still not sure about izombie, hate the title and the premise but it’s very much a zombified Veronica Mars and I do miss Veronica… Think I’ll give it a few more episodes.

4. zac says:

LOved last night’s SHIELD.

5. Jared says:

Solid night for The CW.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

Last night’s POI was the best if not one of the best episodes of the season and Jim Caviezel delivers an Emmy worthy performance for his work.

7. CEB says:

NCIS…they need to bring back Zeva…..the ratings would go back up…….My sister and I love it. But, it’s missing a Zeva!!!!!!!

• smartysenior says:

I stop watching any show that goes to the mid-east for a plot. Done done done with terrorists-in-the-desert, just stay in the states and I’ll come back. I’ve ignored all these as they’ve shown and returned to the shows later without missing a thing.

• Margie Drake says:

NCIS could have taken the hit when Zeva left if they hadn’t gone so horribly wrong in casting the blond with the big black eyebrows as her replacement. She doesn’t fit in; can’t act, and plays a huge role in influencing Gibbs. The show could have survived with a better replacement. Gibbs has treated her as the “chosen one” from the beginning. I can’t help but wonder why.

8. kmw says:

Good for Shield. Never thought NCIS would slip like this although it might adjust up. FOX needs lots of help on Tuesdays

• John NYC says:

SHIELD drew 26% of it’s competition: NCIS. How does something that catastrophic even stay on a major network such as ABC?

• Dean says:

Given ABC has had bad luck these few years they probably need a few programs on their schedule I mean they can’t Always Be Cancelling everything.

• Nick says:

SHIELD has good DVR numbers. So they know people are watching it.

• Nick says:

And they’re only .3 lower in the demo, which is what really matters.

• Badpenny says:

The number of viewers do not matter. NCIS was a 1.9 and AoS was a 1.6. From a Ad Revenue standpoint are not that far apart.
        Couple that with the fact that Disney makes billions from its superhero movies means that AoS does not need to turn a huge profit, as it can work as a loss-leader to keep its brand in front of the viewers.

9. j says:

So hopefully izombies consistencies will warrant a renewal!! Im lovin it!

10. Sara says:

Really like iZombie, liv is soo funny and the knew guy is HOT!
    It should receive more ratings than then this but I hope it continues to grow.
    The flash wasn’t a good episode but next week seems great😊

11. Linnster says:

So, how much lower will NCIS have to sink before they realize that they need to get rid of the Bishop character?

• Patrick says:

Its not just Bishop. The characters don’t progress. Eventually, a show has to rely on the progression of the characters’ personal lives. Everything is static on NCIS, so the fans are losing interest in characters that don’t change. The case of the week can only hold people for so long.

• Larc says:

Whatever else may be contributing to the decline, Bishop is a weak link. NCIS can’t afford to have any weak link in the core lineup at this stage. I don’t think Ziva’s return is necessary, but a strong female character in the crew is.

• lsperling says:

I agree completely. A much stronger character was needed in Bishop’s place and she isn’t a very good actress, which doesn’t help. They need some fresh faces with some real punch.

• Sandra Miller says:

It’s way, way too late to give her a heavy back story. She suddenly speaks Arabic and Tony didn’t even know? She was deployed for 18 months but when she got to NCIS couldn’t hold a gun?

• lsperling says:

@Sandra Miller – I agree with your comment. The entire story about Bishop and Afghanistan was totally unbelievable. No matter what your job in a combat zone is, you need o be firearms proficient – even if you’re sitting on the floor in the sand working your computer for the NSA. Why wasn’t the fact that she spoke Arabic and had been deployed in her personnel jacket?

• Maria says:

That’s exactly it. Except for Palmer getting married and becoming a dad, everyone else has basically the same life they’ve had since the show started. Last night’s episode was dull anyway so I switched over to a Big Bang Theory rerun.

• lsperling says:

Things are moving forward. McGee has a relationship with Delilah and Tony is in a relationship with Zoey. What they’ve done is get rid of Mike Franks who was a captivating character. At this point, they’re pretty much coasting.

• Q says:

Yeah, they moving forward.
          Here is one big problem.
          Speed of that forward, is … well, terribly slow.
          If creators thinking about teasing, and feeding us, another 8 series with breadcrumbs, they are wrong.
          Thanks god for NCIS LA, even they have some own issues, is still much better, than mothership NCIS.

• lsperling says:

I agreed – movement is glacial and without any really compelling characters to break up the slow progress, this show could be doomed before long. I like NCIS:LA and it does seem more fresh, but it’s a much younger show.

• Sandra Miller says:

Zoe is another example of jamming in a character history to justify the new story line. It’s still new to the viewers. Bad storytelling.

• Q says:

@Sandra Miller
            Delilah & Zoe is nice refresh in story, but without them in EVERY episode, is only spark, not flame.
            I like, how Gibbs start acting at beginning each episode.
            Not barking idiot, but like intelligent human, and sometimes little funny, like in old series.
            Funny start & non idiotic Gibbs is something, what I missing very much, and we get it only in last few episodes…unfortunately.
            But team dynamic is poor.
            Bishop is just not right.
            Abby is still childish, and that is, after 12 years, incredibly BORING.
            Jimmy turn to awkward babbling clown.
            He is not funny, he is awkward, like Abby.
            Bring Delilah & Zoe in every second episode.
            (Zoe in team? There is some regulation? So fu…k them (like many times before), and bring her anyway)
            Do some TV magic, and put Delilah on her feet.
            Send Bishop on maternity leave, or back in NSA….forever.
            And PLEASE, bring old and excellent NCIS from S01-S08, BACK.

• KCC says:

Completely agree. Everyone has had the same job for the past 11 years. The show is too afraid of changes or else: Tony would be leading his own team, McGee would have a cyber unit, and/or Palmer would be running the lab with Ducky as an adviser.

• hud says:

Where is Gibbs coming from when he tells all to gear up?

• Dean says:

yeah yeah you hate Bishop any one who doesn’t must be bribed by CBS to say so, spare us the sales slogan.

• Sandra Miller says:

Remember what you said about keeping it civil?

• Naomi Peters says:

Well, can’t say I blame him, once the whiners appeared—–we all know, you HATE Bishop, it just isn’t the same since Z——blah,blah,blah—-bad storytelling—blah,blah,blah. It is like the hate group’s commercial. I would look at your own “old” rhetoric, before jumping on the NCIS stories–Matt’s “Kum Ba Yah” moment lasted less than an hour before Isperling and the rest of you showed up. I find your remarks just as uncivil. SMDH

• At this point, Ziva’s been gone over a year and half….and obviously something isn’t working with the show as the ratings keep dropping for it. But hey, apparently the breath of fresh air Bishop is working, according to the ratings.

• agree they need a agent who can progress better than Bishop. I want the older programs more now. The cast then was believable and worked together much more.

• Mike Hammer says:

NOT just “Bishop” problem— and after watching this train wreck for over a year one would think Harmon/producers would have paid Depablo (Ziva) the $$$ she deserved to have her show up at the season finale— to save Gibbs.
      BY THE WAY— we see Gibbs shot repeatedly including below the heart, BUT we know someone beyond medical science he’ll be just fine.Beyond silly. Gibbs should die and if this silliness — and the show is silly— bring in a new leader to reboot to a more Bellisario/serious NCIS, like Bond producers with Craig.
      After all, over 60 HArmon phoning it in for the few scenes he is in. END IT!

NO MORE goof ball Tony— let DiNozzo lead the pack: Bishop sent back to the NSA: Ziva returns to help Tony and avenge Gibbs; Director fired— and let’s finally discover what exactly was in the file he destroyed and who precisely he really is! McGee upped to 2nd; Ducky retires after Gibbs death, and younger guy takes over. Finally, Abby quits and heads back to New Orleans— joins the cast of NCIS New Orleans and replaces ponderously boring CCH Pounder. New whiz kid type replaces.

NEW season more kick ass than asinine!

• lsperling says:

It is more than Bishop but she was the catalyst that made this show less interesting for me. I barely pay attention when she’s in any of the scenes. The writing has gotten stale. Ziva isn’t coming back, so forget about her. They would do well to replace Bishop with someone with more zip to her personality. She’s like a wet washcloth.

12. The Carpooler says:

Darn, I am late to this thread. I wanted to stir the pot and spout something about loving Ziva and hating Bishop. Others have beat me to it. :)

• lsperling says:

I think at this point we all understand that Ziva is not coming back, but the show needs a strong character with some pizzaz. It seems as though all the characters are just languishing in place at this point.

13. joepetitjean80 says:

S.H.I.L.D. Rock last night

14. HAP says:

Why is Undateable still a bubble show? It had a higher demo than POI and more total viewers than SHIELD.

• Mike says:

Because POI is on CBS and AoS is on ABC. Thus, their ratings have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether a show on NBC like Undateable gets renewed. You have to compare their ratings to other shows on THAT network and whether or not NBC has a different option that they could put in that slot that would perform better.

15. pat carter says:

NCIS has always had strong women in the series. I agree Bishop has taken this series down a path of no return unless they get rid of her. I am hoping someone in the head office makes a change because I still enjoy the rest of the team.

• Dean says:

and i’m hoping disatisfied and pissy viewers like you would quit whining about a show you no longer claim to like and move on but we don’t always get what we want.

• Sandra Miller says:

Except, the network really wants to know WHY the ratings are down.

• Annette says:

I would love to know why ratings are down on NCIS as well. Obviously something is not working anymore. Such a shame to see it fall so far.

• Dr. B says:

Ratings are down because ratings are down across the board.NCIS still has the most viewers, the “demo” is down, but they have been for all broadcast scripted programs for the last two years.

• lsperling says:

You’re right Dean. We can’t always get what we want. I keep hoping you’ll remember that your opinion is not the only one and that the rest of us have the same right to express ours even if it differs from yours. Failing that, my second wish is that you just disappear. but I’m not getting that either

• Naomi Peters says:

Well, Dean, isn’t the only one who gets sick of the lot of you. Expressing one’s opinion is one thing. Appearing like locusts, with the same rhetoric and spiel. Every single time an article about NCIS appears, is great for your little cut and paste “comments/opinions”, but damn annoying for some of us who love NCIS. You want to tear down and hate on the show? Start your own blog and have at it, this isn’t your exclusive comment section either–try and remember that!

• lsperling says:

I believe there are plenty of other comments either for or against Bishop – mostly against Bishop, but you would bite your tongue off before admitting that. Any time you don’t care to read what I write, please – feel free to move to the next comment. You aren’t required to reply to me.

• Naomi Peters says:

And the same applies to you, please refrain from replying to my statements–somehow, I will survive not receiving any world shattering remarks from such an “esteemed”, (*coughknowitallcough*) expert………..

16. Mona Pierce says:

NCIS is my all time favorite TV show!!!

17. Christopher says:

If the NCIS producers don’t get rid of Bishop ASAP and end this everyone needs a love interest soap the show will be gone soon!
    Viewers have brains and last nights episode with incompetent Bishop in Afghanistan was simply unwatchable!

• JPMD says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself ! Bishop was and continues to be the weak link and a total lack of focus on what the show is about, ie. an investigative drama, have all but ruined a one time quality product.

18. cj says:

I felt POI was a thow-away filler episode until 1/2 way through and the twist and then I was like oh snap this is awesome! Love this show. Sorry, can’t get into iZombie. And Flash/Arrow… only make me miss Smallville.

19. I love how NCIS getting 15.8 Million viewers is LOW !?! any other show on any Other network would kill for that many viewers :)

• Naomi Peters says:

THANK YOU! My feelings exactly! Poor Forever would kill to get some numbers like that!

• Q says:

Well, you have to understand, what is viewers low, and what is “…and hitting a series low in the demo…”
      We talking about series low, and that is what it is.
      You just mixed bananas with apples, and tha’s not right.
      Maybe next time….

• Naomi Peters says:

Aww, gee, well heartbreak for you, per TV By The Numbers, NCIS was adjusted up to 2.07–guess it’s not “a series low” anymore. Maybe next time for you as well……….

• Q says:

Yesterday was.
          By same tvbnumbers.
          You mixed bananas with apples again.
          (yesterday numbers with today numbers)
          Don’t try change yesterday, because of today, it newer work.
          Maybe next time you can think, what we are talking about.

• Naomi Peters says:

Wow, I’m sorry–what the Hell are you talking about? As usual, the initial numbers reported added in more numbers–it states in the headline, that NCIS was ADJUSTED UP. I honestly don’t know what you are talking about–that I will agree. SMH

• Oh, you mean 2.0, which is still a series low, and the last time they got this series low was back in 2004. Yep, the fans got what they wanted, Classic NCIS, and the ratings that go with it.

• Naomi Peters says:

*SIGH*, it adjusted up to 2.07–but, please don’t let facts get in your way–why bother with those…………..

20. JBC says:

POI was so good this week!

21. Emily says:

I love my NCIS each week but with Ziva gone we lost the chemistry that simmered steadily and had been building for so long. The investigative stories are still compelling but it’s characters have lost their quirkiness. I don’t mind Bishop. In fact if Ziva were to ever return I would like these two put together on a case. Imagine a stakeout. The ever vigilant trained assassin Ziva looking and watching whilst Bishops head is buried in her laptop throwing around facts and probabilities. Ziva looks at her. ‘ I hope you can shoot with that’. Bishop glances up. ‘oh I have a gun. I got your back.’ Ziva ‘ good then in all probability we should go check this out’ she says as the suspects car drives away. I miss the moments between advance and Gibbs. And even those Gibbs/Ziva moments where his ‘father likeness’ put her on path. Then there is Abby and McGee. I know these characters headed to being something more then steered elsewhere. But I still hold out for something there. They are two cyber whiz’s who connect on a level that makes them unique. Their chemistry is somewhat stilted by the constant banter in a lab. But would something here be the way to reintroduce Ziva. If only for Special task force investigations?

• lsperling says:

I agree with almost all of your comments. Yes, the quirky, really interesting characters seem to have departed and while I don’t expect or believe Ziva will be back, they do need an interesting, strong character to fill that spot.

• hud says:

Seems I recall a lot of hate toward Ziva when she replaced Kate. Bishop is not intended to be the ninja warrior Ziva was, cut her some slack. Want to make this show more interesting, replace Vance, is and always the weak link. Need a female director.

• lsperling says:

To be honest, I was not on this site back when Ziva replaced Kate, so I have no idea whether there was animosity for her. Frankly, I liked Ziva from the get-go. No, I understand that Bishop was not meant to be the Ninja warrior, but she doesn’t seem to be much of anything else either. If I had to describe her as a color, I’d say she’s beige.

22. Michael Clark says:

NCIS is in free fall. Bishop is sweet, but she just doesn’t work in the show. They seem to be trying to push McGee–but it’s at Tony’s expense. A real romance and/or expanded leadership for Tony would help–even if Ziva isn’t coming back. To me, Gibbs and Tony are the best characters on the show.

• John NYC says:

15 million in relation to the season’s overall viewership is hardly “free fall”

But carry on. Lol

• Maybe “free fall” is a bit overstated, but tv’s most watched drama is losing fans. The whole season has been weak and doesn’t seem to be heading anywhere. Even bringing back Tony’s dad seemed ho hum.

23. Brian says:

Some ‘NCIS’ viewers must have chosen to move on after the death of Gibbs’ dad/tribute to Ralph Waite episode (‘Honor Thy Father’) at the end of last season. But overall, the show is doing fine, even with lower ratings over the past month. I tend to agree that the ‘domestic’ cases have more appeal than the ‘Let’s go kill someone who speaks Arabic’ missions. I also think Rocky Carroll should be on more. I accept Ziba has moved on, and while I miss Cote dePablo, I think they’d gone as far as hey could with all the Mossad tie-in plots. No problem with Bishop, but if her husband’s brief appearances are leading anywhere, they should get there sooner, not later.

24. You could bring back Ziva for some shows. Loved it when she was on the show. It is not the same with the new person.

25. Suzanne says:

Bring back Siva. The blonde is annoying and always looks annoyed.

26. Gina says:

Lots of things have contributed to NCIS lower ratings. Ziva was a strong woman’s character as was Kate. The Bishop character is not. Suddenly Tony and McGee, Abby, and Ducky get less screen time.Transparent attempts by writers to add to Bishops dosier is only frustrating loyal fans. She’s suddenly Gibbs’ side kick. Make Gibbs human again, let him smile. Writing out Mike Frank’s was a mistake. The formula for the show is good but the attempts to get Bishop on the team has fallen very flat and ratings are slipping as a result

27. gm says:

People are gett’n tired of the season finally cliff hangers. They don’t need a hook with a line to drag’em back for the next season. NCIS New Orleans did it right…they come into next season clean after last nights finally . Plus CBS has no loyalty to it shows and viewers…they move shows around …the numbers drop & they kill the show… It just needs a little tweaking…change a writer, directors ect. The big one… more time to gain back it’s viewers & a stable time slot.