Emerald City Twister: NBC Un-Cancels Wizard of Oz Event Series

Ding-dong the witch is dead alive!

Eight months after abruptly pulling the plug on Emerald City, NBC has revived its re-imagining of the classic Wizard of Oz universe with a 10-episode order, TVLine has learned.

The project — which blends elements from author L. Frank Baum’s 14-novel collection — was scrapped last August due to creative differences between EP/writer Josh Friedman (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) and NBC. David Schulner (The Event) has now taken the showrunner reins from Friedman.

Here’s the official Emerald City logline (in case you need a refresher): “In the blink of a tornado’s eye, 20-year-old Dorothy Gale and her K9 police dog are transported to another world, one far removed from our own — a mystical land of competing kingdoms, lethal warriors, dark magic and a bloody battle for supremacy. This is the fabled Land of Oz in a way you’ve never seen before, where wicked witches don’t stay dead for long and a young girl becomes a headstrong warrior who holds the fate of kingdoms in her hands.”

Are you happy NBC is attempting another trip down the Yellow Brick Road? Or should the network just drop a house on this thing and be done with it? Hit the comments!

1. Alyse says:

Awesome! This was a show I was excited to see until they canceled it, I’m glad it’s getting another shot.

2. Darryl says:

I can’t wait. I was so disappointed when it was canceled. We need another trip down the brick road.

3. fuze83 says:

Awesome! The show sounded great from what I read about it. Can’t wait to see it.

4. Schatzi49 says:

I just hope NBC honors its commitment. They don’t have the best track record.

5. Steven says:

Surprised, but it could be really good… Or really bad.

6. Barbara says:

I am so glad they are going to have it on. I loved oz and will be waiting.

7. Aleana says:

OMG! Yes I was looking forward to this show who going to get cast as lead I have four actress
    Abby Ross
    Mackenzie Rosman
    AnneSophie Robb
    Britt Robertson

8. S says:

I’m happy too. The original pilot script was actually pretty good. However, they need to cast an incredibly strong actress for Dorothy because she carries the entire thing. They also need to make sure Dorothy and “the Scarecrow” have great chemistry because they were the intended romance there too.

9. Tony Lang says:

Does EVERYTHING need a dark, gritty & violent re-imagining? What’s wrong with a chest-strapped singing ginger and a few dancing lollipop kids? Besides, I would’ve been more interested in the Oz-themed medical show that was once in development at CBS. What ever happened to THAT one?

10. cant wait were all looking forward to it dont cancel it after the first espiode.

11. Verity says:

Awesome! I was so bummed when they cancelled it before it even aired! I can’t wait to see it now!

12. Wyngate3 says:

Drop a house on it, and try to do something original for a change. Same ole…same ole….man!

13. Drew says:

Wait, so they take it away from the man behind the great and powerful Sarah Connor Chronicles, and hand it off to the guy behind… The Event? Seriously?

• Ray says:

I know, right?

NBC must have some really awful pilots to be bringing this back. However, the concept does seem a lot cooler than their current programming slot.

• dude says:

They didn’t take it from him, he quit because NBC wanted to make changes so NBC just went and found someone who would go along with their changes.

14. Brock says:

Hope it lasts!

15. Jess says:

I can’t wait to see this. I love The land of Oz. they should get Rebecca Mader for one of the Wicked Witches. She is an awesome actress.

16. Weezy says:

Uh why would she have a police dog with her? What the heck kind of sense does that make…

17. ready for this show- I loved the original Movie (back in the days- almost 70 years ago) and I will like this I am sure- may even cover my eyes like I did then-

18. Spence says:

Is it weird to to me should this was on a different network? I would be much more intrigued if this was on FX or AMC or really anything other than NBC, I’m just not yet buying tha NBC can properly pull this off.

19. Lizo says:

Was more on board when Friedman was in charge, but I’ll check it out.

20. DL says:

Sounds like Oz of Thrones. Could be great, could be not. Guess we’ll see!

21. Bill says:

Bring it on!

22. bella says:

It all comes down to the execution. It sounds great.

23. Sue White says:

I’d really like to see the fairy tales die. I loved reading them in books when I was a child/young adult, but it’s time to put them back in the books. Not on TV.

24. dude says:

So Dorothy’s a cop? Ugh. On one hand, I’m excited because I thought this premise had promise, she just better not be solving crimes in Oz. I do not need CSI: Oz.

• Ben says:

On the other hand… CSI Oz could be the coolest CSI series😏 That said, I’ll be curious to see this seemingly GoT styled Wizard of Oz😉

25. JB says:

Sounds a bit like “Life on Mars”…a modern cop in a strange place.
    Will they leave it open-ended, or will they have the guts to wrap it at ten and not drag it out?

26. Timot says:

I am very happy that NBC has decided to do a new Wizzard of Oz.Making Dororthy older, at 20 should be most interesting. I am looking forward to watching it!

27. Friedman actually talks a lot about Emerald City, its origin, demise, and a lot in between on A podcast, Nerfist Writerd Panel #171: YEAR IN REVIEW. It’s very interesting, and made me wonder how anything ever actually gets on network television.

28. At this point, they have nothing to lose.

29. Danielle says:

I’m excited for it because I adore reimaginings. If done correctly. Syfy’s Tin Man was excellent as well as their redo of Alice in Wonderland.

30. Congratulations to all of you with great optimism. Let’s keep one thing in mind: This is the network that brought us The Mysteries of Laura and The Slap(among other disasters) this past season. Considering the lack of news about new contracts for the entire cast of SVU and the possibility of KELLI GISDDISH possibly not returning, all I can say is SHOW ME NBC, DON’T TELL ME!

31. SherryB says:

Oh joy…Big whoop…Can’t wait….NOT…Mini-series out of a classic movie does nothing for me..But then neither does NBC.

32. Jerry says:

Wonderful news!

33. Samuel Croft says:

Well, as a lover of the original movie everything that I’ve seen since has failed to live up to the original. The closest was Wicked which I love. Second was the black presentation on stage which I also liked a lot. In my view most everything that has come after Dorothy first clicked her heels has paled tremendously in comparison. Much of the time sleeping dogs should be left to snooze in the sun in my opinion.

34. Samuel Croft says:

Sorry I edited my statement and left out the name of the black presentation which is The Wiz Broadway production. The movie the Wiz like pretty much everything else stunk to high heaven.

35. Ifeelbubbly says:

I love the idea. Gogo Toto!

36. Louis says:

Is it just me?? Seriously Once Upon A time. Has to do a musical. It’s perfect. The new beauty and the beast is gonna be. I can’t be the only one who thinks it.

37. Mark H. says:

An AR-15 toting Dorothy saving Oz with her cop dog?! First this should be explained as NOT for little kids and Americana fans, too. Second, it should be at 9 rather than 8, if its going to be ‘bloody’. Let the fairy tale OZ yet thrive, too. There’s no reason they can’t both exist.

38. karan soto says:

Love it….great entertainment. …wonderful drama….great storyline…

39. karan soto says:

Loved it…great suspense drama….scarry….nostalgic storyline really works…the original always was a bit creepy with all the witch overtones….

40. kristy halverson says:

I love the wizard of oz so I will watch to check it out.

41. gregg piacentini says:

This looks amazing! Way to go NBC… Its like if Game of Thrones and Once Upon a Time had a baby it would Emerald City

42. Louise Flynn says:

worst show ever. Maybe the original idea was good but characters and dialog boring and inane. Imagine finding yourself in a strange land with tribes/witches/dead bodies everywhere/no food/water and your biggest problem is what name to call the man hanging on a cross/which you were able to take down on your own. The dialog is so banal you can say it before thy do. I didn’t know it was on before but I certainly see why it was cancelled. Oh and I heard the dog fired his agent.

43. Tammy Longworth says:

Love the show,,keep it going

44. Cathy Lechmaier says:

Love the new twist to the plot. Keep it going