Exclusive

American Idol's Top 6 Theme (and Special Guests) Will Be...

american-idol-top-6-theme-arena-anthems

Is it time to break out the vuvuzela on American Idol?

The House That Had Its Mortgage Paid Off by Carrie Underwood will rock an “Arena Anthems” theme for Top 6 week (next Wednesday, April 22, 8/7c on Fox), TVLine has learned exclusively.

According to an Idol insider, that means the heirs to Caleb Johnson’s throne will be performing “songs that can entertain a massive crowd and are performed by mega superstars.”

What’s more, TVLine has learned that U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team stars Abby Wambach and Alex Morgan are scheduled to appear on the episode to help make “a very special announcement.” (Could it be a game-changer for the remaining contestants?)

Wambach holds the world record for international goals – men or women – with 178 in her career, while Morgan has scored 51 times in her first 84 games for the USA. Both are expected to play key roles for Team USA in this summer’s FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015, which will be broadcast on Fox and its related networks.

Stoked about “Arena Anthems”? Any early suggestions for what you’d like to hear your faves sing (or avoid)? Sound off below!

1. Kate says:

When I saw vuvuzela, I pictured a didgeridoo and thought for one brief, shining moment that BOW-ER-SOX was going to be a guest.

• Randy says:

Would LOVE to hear Crystal Bowersox on Idol. Alas, the producers are more interested in promoting established stars than featuring their past talent. It’s a continuing problem. Idol has always been horrific in their refusal to consistently feature past finalists performing music from their current projects (with rare exceptions).

• Kate says:

Oh I know. Poor Slezak is still waiting for an Aloha Mi’sho performance.

• Scott says:

Saw Crystal about a year ago. Front row of the nice intimate venue in Dallas, TX. She performed Me and Bobby McGee and it changed my life! Haha, love her! Oh and she gave me her guitar pic!

• bobsaccamanna says:

And she has a new song out with Seth Glier that is just beautiful. What a great thing it would be to hear the both of them on Idol, still my favorite contestant ever on the show.

• joey says:

Amen. Not only do they not feature past contestants on the show, they’ve even removed the pictures of past contestants from the opening theme song/video montage. Are they nuts?
        Idol became the most popular show on tv because they/we discovered Kelly and Carrie, etc. It didn’t become popular by hiring celebrity judges and paying them 7 and 8 figure salaries. It’s like a bunch of vampires saw that Idol was producing a lot of buzz, they wanted to use that to promote themselves rather than discover new talent. They sucked the blood out of Idol. They jumped the shark, and the shark is a middle-aged MILF with a larger butt.
        I’ve watched the show since season one. I gave Kelly thousands of votes, but I’m now done. Harry and Jennifer and Ryan and Borchetta and Per Blanken: THE SHOW AIN’T ABOUT YOU.

• Joseph Randall says:

You wrote the words right out of my thoughts, Kate – Crystal was a brilliant contestant!!!

2. B.T. says:

The twist the soccer players will announce is that if the eliminated singer can score a goal against Seacrest they automatically advance to the finals. I wouldn’t put anything past this desperate sinking ship these days.

• Timmah says:

I’m betting that the announcement has to do with soccer on Fox and not Idol. They only care about using this show to cross-promote their other ones.

3. Randy says:

A lot of comments have been made about how the Idol contestants this year don’t always make an emotional connection with their song choices, regardless of how good they sound. I’m not sure “arena anthems” is going to lend itself to improving this little problem. But it will, at least, be interesting!

• Mary says:

Your right it will show weakness, maybe for the one who seems to be the front runner but sounds the same every week just sitting or standing there. I think the theme might be songs played at sport arenas.

4. Hayder B. Hayden says:

I’m all for debuting new themes instead of recycling the same old same old from the past 13 seasons. But this looks like another theme that is so broad an argument can be made for nearly any song ever recorded or performed in public qualifies. In other words, another no theme week like this week and last week. Still, this can work if the producers both open the selection process to new material, and use a veto power to cancel out overdone songs and songs that are too small for an arena venue.

5. zac says:

It’ll be interesting to see what Joey and Clark (if they make it through) will do this week. I really like to see a finale with those 2 with Clark winning. He has really good song on Spotify btw.

6. Brandy says:

Um…why?

7. Holly says:

I think they will all struggle with this theme.

8. Joel says:

I bet they announce that the winner’s song will be the anthem they use for the Women’s world cup. Like Philip Philips Home was used during the Olympics.

9. Larc says:

Warnbach and Morgan will likely be there for FOX promo purposes, not so much for Idol. No mention of any guest performers, but Adam Lambert’s new single “Ghost Town” from his upcoming album The Original High is scheduled for release on April 21. It won’t surprise me if he shows up to perform it on the 22nd.

10. Teresa tefft says:

CLARK! He is without a doubt the Best.

11. JustMe says:

Maybe I’m crazy, but I think it could be fun to hear Clark sing We Will Rock You. I just picture his voice lending itself well to the song. I hope a couple of the other singers who have primarily done slower songs will pick things more uptempo/other than We Are the Champions. I have no problem with that song, it just seems like an easy choice for a couple of them.

12. I’d be thrilled if either Clark or JAX could sing anything by “Adam Lambert”…his songs are “feel good” stadium ready!!! Yes.

13. PFitzDC says:

Arena anthems. Interesting, choice AI producers. I guess you’re telling America that you don’t like it’s choices….cuz Joey, Jax, Quentin, Clark, Ravyon–these are not anthem-style performers by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe Tyanna. Maybe Nick. But methinks you are setting up the favorites for a disastrous night. Sure, I understand that you want radio-ready performers. How’s Caleb Johnson, an arena performer if there ever was one, doing on the radio these days? (*crickets*) Yeah, that’s what I thought.

14. Rip Tide says:

Idol’s numbers are now barely above So You Think Can Dance. They’re getting dangerously close to dropping below a 1.0.
    I never thought I’d see that day, but wow, these producers are making Nigel Lythgoe look like pure genius. Perhaps Idol’s future will be where it originally began–a summer show next year to replace the cancelled SYTYCD, which is almost surely in its last season.

15. For a second I was like “Caleb who?”

Yeah, we need a STAR to win this season.

16. Pat Eide says:

LOVE Harry’s remarks to Quenten……….. he just lost MY vote, who needs someone with attitude and anger ? I think Harry is right…….. Quenten…..go home if you don’t like it or it is “whacked”……… disrespectful is NOT a plus in this business, and YOU JUST LOST !

17. Cindy Kelly says:

All green!

18. don w says:

It is time for the guy Quinton to b voted off Idol. He is such a very big jerk. He doesn’t deserve to be even considered. Harry got it right. What disrespect he showed. Shows exactly who he is. Vote him off b 4 he causes some trouble.

19. Helen says:

This is one of the most racist show I have ever seen this needs to be removed from tv all the white kids are perfect never make a mistake when it comes to the black kids nothing is ever right. We have soul and white folks don’t have no soul they always be perfect take this bs off of TV.

20. Ms. M. Stevens says:

I think Mr. Harry Connick Jr. should have watched this young man closely before he spoke out the way he did. Because you were blessed at an early age in this field of music. To say the show is doing doing him a favor. I wonder how many time’s he has heard someone say that to him. That is why he started his own identity and put a wall up to negativity. So he was blessed to be on this show. Wow how he must be feeling. But wait a wedge has gotten in the way. He grew to love these people. So when they were still there he felt something strange in his heart. The WORD’S did not come out right. But I love the fact he walked over to you and not let you take his feeling that he could not explain out of context. So I say to this young man. You handled this really well and you shook his hand at the end. Now speaking as a mother honey you did great sweetie.Everyone be blessed. Harry who were you defending because you are great at what you do. The job you have can’t brake or make you. You know where your next meal is coming from. Fall back you will still be the GREAT HARRY CONNICK JR. who we have loved for year’s. Thank you for listening.

• Romy says:

I agree. Harry was out of line. Quentin didn’t mean his remarks in a negative way. Harry saying he should be grateful was presumptive. He was grandstanding in his position. I like Harry but, he “misjudged” this one and initiated and instigated an unwarranted and inaccurate portrayal of Quentin’s remark. Just as Quentin was person enough to correct and apologize for perhaps the phrasing of his comment, Harry should do likewise to Quentin.

21. Epazote says:

foreigner, styx, rush, queen, boston, all the excellent hairmetal bands from the 80s… this could be a really fun night, but these kids will probably pick duds. sigh.

22. Alice tomaszek says:

Want to hear Nick sing “simply irresitiible”

23. Ms. M. Stevens says:

See Mr. Conniving Jr. ( smiling ). He will be alright. Lol

24. Ms. M. Stevens says:

I just saw the spelling…IT WASN’T ME

25. Dick Riewe says:

I am sadly disappointed with the way the songs have been modified. Some of the songs use to be my favorites not any more???

26. Johanna says:

any chance the mentor is their former contestant who now fronts Queen (world tour past few months and headlining an already sold out night of Rock in Rio 2015) & has a new solo single dropping next week?

27. Johanna says:

oh and top selling talent plays arenas regardless of genre. the show’s brag tag is Superstars made here. time to see who has those chops.

• Purple says:

Exactly. I think I am going to be surprised which contestants do this one well. Also it may show some major flaws from some of the favorites that are left. It should be fun to watch anyway.

28. Wanda says:

I very strongly feel Harry Connie Jr was incorrect making a confrontation with Quentin tonight. Completely unprofessional!!! If he judges next year I will not even start to watch the season! !

29. Rhonda dalton says:

would love to hear Clark do a Michael Bolden hit, he has that voice, would be excellent for him!!

30. Ark needs to do a Michael Bolden hit, he has that voice!

31. Kixie says:

I think Nick should sing some 3 Doors Down or Staind

32. HannaB says:

How many contemporary, Top 40 artists sing arena type songs? Why won’t they let these kids be relevant, so we can try to picture them actually on the radio as commercial successes?? I honestly can’t see any of the remaining contestants doing well with an arena song.

33. Henrietta says:

But for real… what is an “arena song”? Why isn’t any song capable of being performed in an arena? I don’t understand.

34. Final Countdown – Welcome to the Jungle – Celebration – Start Me Up – Eye of the Tiger – You Shook Me All Night Long – Takin’ Care of Business – Get the Party Started – Everybody Have Fun Tonight – All Night Long – Get Down Tonight – Workin’ For The Weekend – Born in the USA