Ratings: Once Dips to New Low, CBS Dramas Rise, A.D. Slides But Tops Night

ABC’s Once Upon a Time this Sunday drew 5 million total viewers and a 1.6 demo rating, down 9 percent and a tenth from its previous outing and hitting a series low in the demo.

Leading out of that, Secrets and Lies (4.7 mil/1.3) was down a few eyeballs but steady in the demo, while Revenge (3.9 mil/0.9) dipped 7 percent and a tenth, just shy of its series low.

Elsewhere….

NBC | A.D. The Bible Continues (7.6 mil/1.7) and American Odyssey (4.2 mil/0.8) each fell 22 and 26 percent, though the former still led the night in the demo.

CBS | Pending adjustments due to golf overrun, Madam Secretary (11.9 mil/1.5) and The Good Wife (9.2 mil/1.2) were up sharply from their Easter Sunday outings and up a bit from their last “regular” episode. Battle Creek (6.9 mil/0.8) was up a tenth week-to-week and matched its pre-Easter broadcast.

FOX | Family Guy (3.1 mil/1.5) slipped 11 percent and two tenths, while Last Man on Earth (averaging 3.5 mil/1.3) matched last week’s numbers.

1. Paz says:

I was expecting OUAT to have lower ratings because the MTV Movie Awards were on.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Any word yet on how well the Season Five premiere of Game of Thrones did?

3. Maybe it is a series low for OUAT but on a positive note: number 1 of its timeslot, number 2 of the night (numbrt 3 is we count 60 Minutes) and number 4 of this week for ABC :)

4. zacqua10 says:

For the first time ever, I just completely lost interest in OUaT 15 minutes into the episode. I don’t think I’m going to be watching it live anymore, it’s just that bad. With the steadily declining ratings, I’m wondering if other people are feeling the same way. Anyone know how the DVR ratings are for it?

• wrstlgirl says:

I dropped it after watching the first episode after the break. I used to really love the show but I just can’t watch anymore because it’s gotten so bad.

• SAM says:

A friend and I both agreed that the latest plot twist was just so lame and we are both beyond irritated with the inconsistent writing. The minute that the show ended last night, I deleted the series from my DVR.

• Patrick says:

I bailed during the neverland season 2 nonsense. It was still good, but it was clear that they had no clear plan of where the story was going. A lot of the people running this show were big players on Lost, and after that sucker jumped the rails in S2-S3 I saw the writing on the wall. So I bailed back then, and am glad I did.
      In retrospect, killing the Sheriff/Wolf was bad, and that might have been the first sign of bad things to come.
      Lots of creative types in H-Wood bemoan the tinkering of studio execs. They whine about how the suits want to know where the show is going in future seasons. Even that an end game scenario exists from day 1. Whereas, the creatives want to figure it out as they go. Well, Lost and OUAT are why studios meddle. The writers had no idea where to go. They brought memory and magic back too soon. S1 should have ended with Em realizing the truth. Mid s2 should have seen Regina realize that Em knew the truth. S2 should have ended With Snow OR Charming (but not both) realizing the truth. At the end of S3 all realization should have been open. S4 and S5 should have been about the decision of whether to go back to the enchanted forest or whether to stay in our world, with the bit about the Author thrown in. S6 could have been tacked on for money’s sake, but that would have given us 100+ eps of quality TV.
      I blame fans. We want answers immediately, and then demand that the show stay as good even though we know all the big answers. And that is just impossible.

• Alice says:

Wasn’t Never Land Season 3? I stopped in early Season 2, came back after Neal surfaced, then quit again when he died. From what I have heard, I missed precisely nothing interesting ever since.
        I also recently became a Neilson household. Which is very cathartic. I delight in watching anything other than OUAT on Sunday at 8. Doesn’t matter what it is, so long as I can check off something else.

• Eva says:

I suggest you start writing your own show. And I shall be the first to come criticize every little thing about it.

• ninergrl6 says:

I still look forward to OUAT every week but last night’s episode was painfully boring.

5. erika says:

Revenge is dead and canceled(acording to ABC)
    R.I.P. Revenge

• Iakovos says:

If this is REVENGE’s last go-around, as I suspect it is, at least producers are wrapping up the core story line. The flashbacks Sunday night were welcome and it is fun to look forward to a few of the damaged to pop up again. Overall, this was a strong series even if it derailed close to the edge in Season 2. Kudos to the actors who are incredibly talented, especially Van Camp and Stowe, along with Mann and Wechsler. We’ll be seeing them around. I also liked Barry Sloane as Aidan Mathis, Seeing the flashbacks last night, it hit home how he added spice and suspencse to the proceedings.

• Ken says:

Revenge is not dead and not canceled. You say according to ABC so please site your source.

• Patrick says:

In the latest promo for Revenge, it says to tune in for the final four episodes. Not final four before the season finale. Just Final Four episodes. It may have been an unintentional give away.

6. kmw says:

Not good for OUAT and Revenge is done. CBS had golf overruns so that affects their numbers. Not one show got over a 2.0 last night. Bad night for everyone with the possible exception of Game of Thrones( those numbers always come way later). Interested to see what tonight’s shows do

7. Mika says:

OUAT has been coasting in Fairy Tale Disney’s coattails for two seasons. Left to its own merit, It’s badly produced bad fan fiction. People can blame it on MTV Awards or football, but when a show is good, people watch.

Just ask Empire.

8. AW says:

Hooray for A.D., as it continues to still do well on NBC on a post-Easter weekend! The miracle continues!

9. Jay says:

completely agree with what someone said below; there’s no excusing OUAT’s drop in ratings this season. If it was a consistently good show, people would watch. Regardless of what else was on.

10. aurat22 says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Once is spreading itself too thin with too many characters and too many stories. They kill any sense of momentum and heightened suspense for their viewers to turn in next time because who knows when or if you will see a payoff for that moment because zoom they are off to something else. It’s like the writers have story ADD. Like last episode builds up author story to peak but this week, very little author story and it’s all Robin/Zelena/Rumple with little to no previous build up. It’s just too scattered to follow. Hope they change this because I really like series regulars in terms of cast and characters. But then again I felt the same about Lost cast but had to give up on that show for same reason. Shouldn’t have let myself get involved in another of this production teams’ shows.

11. Letti says:

It’s not a series low for Revenge. It had 0.8 once (ep 12 I think?)

12. BrianR says:

These ratings are BS I watch OUAT live every week plus DVR and On demand.

• Ty says:

Yeah! I think you and me are the only ones who still appreciate Once but I do think they need to change it back to normal (season 1ish) because this is getting boring. I especially think they should not have done the Frozen plot because it was boring. (4×02 was a waste of time to make!!!) and the QoD plot is that they are in the cabin the whole time pretty much! Just my opinion!

13. if they bring Neal back I might consider this show (after tonight’s ep there’s still hope), but the way I’m looking at right now is that OUaT will fall below 5M next week. The show is getting stupid and pointless. Let’s hope for another major death at the end of the season and hopefully S5A will include meaningful arc.
    And is Zelena joining The Queens of Darkness and taking Ursula’s place?
    Did not see the whole Zelena being alive coming at all.

14. Eric says:

Do you know when we’ll know about GoT ratings? I know they come in later… i’m just extremely curious.

15. Ashley says:

I’m glad Zelena is back, now I just need Elsa and the Frozen cast along with Ingrid back and I’ll be happy. Oh wait, they sent the Frozen cast home to Arendelle, and left everyone else in Sttorybrooke… uh… it’s not like they’re allies or anything. Just an example of poor writing and planning on their part. As much as I liked last night’s episode, it’s doomed. I doubt it’s #1.

16. Ty says:

OUAT made a mistake of Rumbelle I loved it so much! I ship it a million! Then they ruined it by making Rumple evil again! Belle finding out was cool, but… I miss them!