Shocker: Veep Creator Quits

Veep Season 5

There’s political upheaval at Veep, only this time it’s behind the scenes.

TVLine has confirmed that series creator Armando Iannucci is leaving HBO’s Julia Louis-Dreyfus-fronted D.C. satire at the end of Season 4, which bows this Sunday at 10:30/9:30c.

“We have had conversations with Armando for some time about the challenges of maintaining his family life in London and producing a show in the states,” an HBO rep said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. “Armando is not replaceable but we are confident that Veep will continue to be produced at the highest levels.”

Curb Your Enthusiasm vet David Mandel (with whom Louis-Dreyfus worked with on Seinfeld) will replace Iannucci at the helm of the show’s not-yet-officially-ordered fifth season.

1. @tvneuroepi says:

2. Michael says:

Shocking but David Mandel worked on Seinfeld with JLD

3. DougMac says:

It mIght Be the right time to send it out on a high note then

4. NOLANOLA says:

The ”creator” of` SUPERNATURAL left also, look what happened to it. SPN is NOTHING like it was. Hope that does NOT happen to VEEP. one of the two reasons I keep HBO.

5. Reginald says:

Never blame people or things for where you are today. MSG
    (for short) may cause migraine-like headaches and nausea in some people.
    Some experts are of the opinion that if started early
    in life, diet and exercise can maintain a flat tummy eliminating the need for a tummy tuck.

6. Jake says:

I tried to get into this show, but I have come to the conclusion that I cannot stand Julia. Watching her is like watching Jim Carrey, they are just the same character in a different role.

7. Mark says:

Julia Louis-Dreadful. I can´t stand her

8. cuius says:

Let’s hope that Armando Iannucci’s return to UK means that we can look forward some further shows like “The Thick Of It” – although British politicians seem to be capable of producing comedy shows without the benefit of writers currently

9. Abe Froman says:

I’m not sure how this can work. Iannucci’s fingerprint is all over that show.

10. matty says:

I guess we can kiss the quality of this show goodbye… This is like when Aaron Sorkin left The West Wing… John Wells was good, at times even great… but he just wasn’t Aaron Sorkin.

• Lizo says:

I thought Wells actually did a better job than Sorkin. Ya, it felt slightly different, but still excellent and I like some of the narrative choices he made. We would not have gotten to see CJ as Chief of Staff with Sorken still at the helm; and i don’t think the dual-season 7 arch would have been as successful and compelling as it was. Regardless, the shift was barely noticeable in the minutia but moreso in the broad strokes

• matty says:

I respectfully disagree… The show entirely fell apart when Sorkin left. Characters personalities suddenly changes and Sorkin would never have written such a disrespectful story for Toby as his final story!

11. Dawn says:

What do you meanLiz will have a VOID? Better not be REDS OFF THE SHOW. IF SO I WILL NOT WATCH ANYMORE!!!!

12. Temperance says:

I honestly don’t get how Julia Louis-Dreyfus gets work (or ever got work). She’s abysmal on every level, and I don’t think she’ ever done a funny thing in her entire life. Of course, I say the same thing about all four of the ‘stars’ (sic) of Seinfeld, though Jason Alexander can pull off drama (not comedy).