Rocky Horror Remake Eyed at Fox

Rocky Horror Picture Show Fox

Let’s do the time warp again!

Fox is developing a two-hour TV movie remake of the cult classic film The Rocky Horror Picture Show, directed and choreographed by Kenny Ortega (High School Musical), our sister site Deadline reports.

The update will be faithful to the text of the original 1973 play by Jim Sharman and Richard O’Brien, but reimagine the story visually.

Unlike Fox’s upcoming Grease and NBC’s musical specials, Rocky Horror will not air live, per EW.com.

Gail Berman and the 1975 film’s producer Lou Adler will serve as EPs alongside Ortega.

1. NOOOO! The ’70’s schlocky production is a great deal of its charm. Aren’t there any writers with talent enough to do something NEW.

• Dude says:

The writers aren’t the problem. There are literally millions of great TV pilots circulating, networks just won’t take a chance on them when they can retread something people already know.

• Nellie May says:

I think we need this, if only to reinforce that remakes suck. The original will always be the best!

2. Because the one thing that will make this better is to do it as a TV version that must abide by the expectations and ratings of a network.

3. Jane says:

No just no.

4. Ncooke says:

Oook, American Horror astory should do a full season of this, Michael C Hall Would be great

5. Time Warp Fan says:

NO! The original is perfect just like it is.

6. Why was it that Glee changed the lyrics to some of the songs when they did their version? Was it because of the network, the show, the music company, or some other reason? And would the same reason require this version to change the lyrics too?

• t.w.123 says:

It was the network. And that was my first concern as well! You can’t do “Sweet Transvestite” without being able to say the word “transsexual” on air.

7. Ben says:

How do we get Fox to stop trying to remake everything?

8. I think it’s a mistake to remake such a classic, but if it is happening anyway then I can’t imagine anyone other than Adam Lambert as Dr. Frank N Furter.

9. BrightLight says:

Because when I re-watch this every year on Halloween my first thought has always been “Wow, someone should remake this!” said no one ever.

• Madoqua says:

If there was a “like” button for this I’d hit it like a thousand times! Bet everyone else would too. I’m sorry but I just CAN’t picture anyone but Pennywise in the role of Dr. Frank-N-Furter. (Pennywise was IT.) Richard O’Brien IS Riff Raff. I LOVED Meatloaf as Eddie- Ex delivery Boy. Next someone will want to be replacing Don Knotts as Barney Fife!

10. Reba42 says:

I’m not gonna watch this regardless, but Nathan Fillion as Brad. And please, no NPH!

11. LynnH says:

No, No, and NO!!!

12. Larc says:

Leave it alone. You can’t improve on perfection.

13. Tracey says:

NO just NO! Jesus, is nothing sacred??

14. Bob Backus says:

Can you think of a worse idea? Rocky Horror High School Musical? Maybe Night of the Living Dead brought to you be those who gave us the Smurfs. or (haven’t seen it but heard about it) Centipede Man by the Care Bears.

15. Gerald Christie says:

What an awful idea, besides since it’s tv they’ll have to change some stuff or tone it down.

16. Dude says:

Nooooo! It’s not even a good movie. That’s what makes it a cult classic.

17. c-mo says:

Has there ever been an article since the beginning of this site, when more than just a couple of people reply, that everyone is in agreement? I must include myself in the column “this might be the absolutely worst idea that FOX has ever had, bar none”.

18. Mikaela says:

No. Just no.

19. Dude says:

Guys I have a great idea…Citizen Kane 2000

20. Shannon says:

No, no, no. I’m not sure who thought this was a good idea, but it isn’t. If this does make it to TV, I will celebrate by completely ignoring it and watching the original. And while there have been many Franks, Riff-raffs, Magentas and Columbias, imho, no one can replace the ones who founded the roles, why try?

Leave it be Fox, it is ‘perfect’ as it is.

21. WhyOhWhy says:

Wow. This is the worst TV idea I’ve heard in a long, long time. The only way I can see it is if they did what one viewer mentioned: an American Horror Story version. Take out the music and make it darker. That way it is not a remake, much more a new vision of the idea. But there is absolutely no need for a straight up musical remake, let alone one that will be hampered by network rules and regulations.

22. I wonder if they’ll whitewash the lyrics like Glee did.

23. Gern Blanston says:

Can we please stop acting like this movie was some high point of achievement in the motion picture industry. RHPS was garbage, entertaining garbage but, garbage none the same. And that’s why it got popular, because it was dumb and trashy and fun. It ain’t the Godfather. Would I like to see a remake of this? No. But, the outrage that I’ve seen about this is almost comical.

24. Alienate says:

I would never watch it. I don’t want the perfect mental images I carry about the Original to be muddled by some new crap.

25. Rockell says:

Make it stahhhp.

26. JAO says:

No. Period.

27. kirads09 says:

No x 1,000,000 There will never be a cast that will match Tim Curry’s Frankenfurter and the original movie.

• Nan says:

I’d be OK with it if the casting was right. For Dr. F. Adam Lambert or Matt Bomer [he sings and dances]. For Riff Raff either Jackie Earl Haley or Neil Patrick Harris. And since it’s Fox, Caleb Johnson is perfect for Eddie the part played by Meat Loaf in the film. I’m more interested in this than in the new TV version of the Wiz that’s currently in production.

28. Amanda says:

It will NEVER be better than the original, so why bother? It’s timeless, doesn’t need a reboot.

29. dee123 says:

LOL. That almost every comment is a big fat no! Are you sensing a pattern FOX?

30. Diane says:

Ezra Miller needs to play Frank N. Furter, period end of story. Otherwise the remake will suck.