Daredevil Premiere Poll: Is Netflix's New Superhero Series Outta Sight?

Daredevil Premiere Recap

When we first meet Matt Murdock in Marvel and Netflix’s Daredevil, he’s a nine-year-old boy laid out on the street immediately after a terrible traffic accident. Matt saved an elderly man’s life, but toxic chemicals seeped into his eyes, causing him to lose his sight. Of course, as we will soon learn, he also gained some special sensory gifts that fateful day.

Years later, grown-up Matt (Charlie Cox) asks forgiveness in a confessional — not for what he’s done, but what he’s about to do. The next time we see him he’s head-to-toe in skintight black, wearing a mask with no eye slits while beating the daylights of human traffickers in NYC’s Hell’s Kitchen. Using MMA fighting skills with a ninja twist, Matt’s alter ego Daredevil is unlike other superheroes: he’s not out to save the world, he’s out to save the neighborhood.

By day, Matt’s a budding defense attorney, along with his partner/best bud Foggy Nelson (Mockingjay’s Elden Henson). Their first client, Karen Page (True Blood’s Deborah Ann Woll) is wrongly framed for murder — Matt’s super-senses read her heartbeat like a lie detector. Meanwhile, the coldly calculating right-hand man of the city’s still mysterious, not-to-be-named-out-loud crime “Kingpin,” attempts to orchestrate her murder. Karen needs more defending that Nelson & Murdock can provide.

Translation: She needs Daredevil’s help.

Forget the Ben Affleck version, if you haven’t already. Armed with pitch-perfect casting, a deep bench of story material from the acclaimed comic book series, street-level drama with a gritty Taxi Driver-style aesthetic, and astonishing fight sequences on par with the Marvel films, Daredevil has the potential to become one of the best TV adaptations of a superhero property ever. (Written by Scott Huver)

Agree? Disagree? Fall somewhere in the middle? Grade the premiere below, and then hit the comments with your Daredevil feedback!

1. topoopon says:

First episode felt “right”. Some nice shout outs to the “heroes” that wrecked NYC. We all saw the last Avengers movie too. :)

2. kensi1713 says:

“Matt’s alter ego Daredevil is unlike other superheroes: he’s not out to save the world, he’s out to save the neighborhood.”

The same could be said about Oliver Queen on Arrow who’s only goal is to save his city.
    Or even Barry Allen on Flash who likewise wants to keep his city safe from danger.

As the third hero tv series to have this premise, it is hardly a new concept at this point.

• Jordan says:

I think they meant ‘new’ as far the MCU goes. Agents of Shield and their movies have much bigger stakes; this is the first Marvel property to be about the ‘smaller’ problems of the world

• Beth says:

Pretty new to comic book superheroes, what is MCU? Seen it thrown around a lot lately

• Marco says:

Marvel Cinematic Universe, aka the world shared by the Marvel movies and tv shows since 2008 (except the X-Men and until the new reboot, Spiderman). Marvel’s Daredevil is just the newest part of it.

• Delirious says:

Exactly… It contains all movies and shows featuring characters owned exclusively by Disney/Marvel. The X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool are owned exclusively by FOX. And up until February, the rights to Spiderman (and related chars) belonged exclusively to Sony, but are now shared with Disney/Marvel.

• Badpenny says:

I think the point is that Daredevil is focused in Hell’s Kitchen – one small area of Manhattan. He is not trying to save the whole city – all 5 burrows – or even all of Manhattan, simply one small section – a few blocks – of the city.

• we dont care
      DD is way better than arrow soap opera and flash-gotham combined end of sotry
      go watch a love story or something

3. soso says:

Loved the premiere! The bingewatching will kill me though because I am SO hooked!

4. m3rcnate says:

I’m almost done with Episode 5. LOVING it. It is exactly what i dreamed of when i imagine Daredevil (one of my favorite characters) on screen.
    I know Disney owns ABC (and Marvel) so they wouldn’t want this show to be on any other network than ABC on TV…but im shocked at how this show could have EASILY been on Network TV. The Violence isn’t rated R, there’s no nudity, very minimal (if any) swearing…yet thats what saddens me (and makes me so excited for the death of network TV and the future of series on the internet)…such an amazing show…such realistic sets and perfect camera work (and stunts and fight choreography) and tone and casting and amazing writing (not soapy, not melodramatic, no lame love triangle or anything) and yet this show is on Netflix? I love that it is…i love that Marvel is going to the internet and not TV (i know SHIELD is on TV but imagine if SHIELD had been on Netflix and unrated…could be a badass sexy show).
    My point though is…why is this show so good…House of Cards is so good….Orange is the New Black is so good…Game of Thrones is so good…Dexter was so good…Sopranos was so good…The Wire was so good….and they are all on the internet or paid cable?
    Think its a telling fact? While Network TV gets worse and worse, lower ratings and lowers itself to reality TV for viewers, and cancels show after show after show and has a success rate of like 10% of their pilots past season 2…such AMAZING content is consistently hitting on cable, paid cable and the internet?

• canadian ninja says:

Network tv has some very worn out mechanics built into it. Big things only happen in November, February or May. Non-serialized shows have to wrap things up in one episode, follow the same general structure, require minimal pre-existing knowledge from the viewer and basically produce the same tone or feeling each week. Like goop.

Notable exceptions being The Good Wife and Hannibal. Otherwise yeah, network tv isn’t interested in being great, just good enough.

• Jake says:

Um how about the end of Episode 4 with Fisk and the car door ? It’s not Game of Thrones but it didn’t leave much up to imagination.

5. Bill says:

2 episodes in and I think it’s really good so far

6. Jimmy says:

So far I’m really impressed. Great cast. Charlie Cox does a great job of making us forget Ben Afleck ever put on the red. Normally, I don’t like when series utilize flashbacks so much, but in Daredevil they really help develop the character and Matt’s father is a great fully-developed character on his own.

7. ialwaysforgetwhatmynameis says:

10 episodes in.
    While daredevil doesn’t reach the heights of the good versions of this genre. shows such as Arrow season 1 Flash season 1 or even its marvel sister show Agent Carter. It is a show that also hasn’t managed to do anything stupid which is rare and i appreciate that.

the acting is solid and stunt work excellent. at its best it’s probably going too be slightly worse then Nikita/white collar

8. Drew says:

I watched episode one and was pretty impressed. The acting was all really well done, but what stood out the most was the look and feel of the series. Marvel properties usually look far more plastic-y. Almost cartoonish. This one was superior all around. The darks were rich and the lighting was put to good use. It also didn’t hurt that they could afford to splurge on something like rain, which helped set the tone.
    It is hard to believe that this series takes place in the same universe as AoS or The Avengers, which are visually just horrible.
    It is hard to judge the season as a whole based on one episode, but so far, so good. Maybe they will inspire the producers of Arrow to get their s#!t together for next season.

• Drew says:

I do want to say though that everyone in the series talks about how part of the city was destroyed by the Avengers invasion, but it’s not really true. If you watch the movie, there is remarkably little damage done during this massive invasion. The biggest threat in the movie seems to come from the government officials who decide that it’s better to nuke the city than the giant hole in the sky where the aliens are coming from. Even that bridge thing that the Avengers kept assembling on was remarkably sturdy, and nobody appeared to die.
      After seeing Man of Steel, the Avengers invasion looked like a fun prank that the aliens were pulling on humanity.

9. Jamie says:

5 episodes in, and I have to say I am very impressed. The stunt work is fantastic – I often find myself rolling my eyes at hand to hand combat on screen, but whoever choreographs the fight scenes for this show is killing it at their job. The casting is phenomenal as well. I’m trying really hard not to binge the rest right now. Maybe I’ll be able to hold off til tomorrow….

10. P.S.L. says:

Wow! I knew this would be good but whoa!

11. tabularasalocke says:

I got 4 episodes in and quit. I was really hyped for this show, but I find it really disappointing. Besides the fact that the premiere was just “Let’s beat up all the female characters to show we’re edgy” I find it so boring! I don’t know what Matt’s purpose is. He wants to save his city (err neighborhood) but…how? Does he really think just beating a few people up is going to do it? I didn’t care about any of the subplots, not to mention the show was on for 4 hours and never bothered to actually explain how Matt got his powers, and no, just showing a bunch of cannisters isn’t explaining. Matt is supposed to be this blue collar guy and instead he comes off more white collar than anything. I like the actors and the stunts, but it’s not enough to keep me interested. This was a huge disappointment and I can only hope the Jessica Jones show doesn’t face the same fate.

• Anne says:

The whole thing is an origin story. Just like arrow. He’s not calling himself daredevil or anything like that yet. To me, if they had started at the beginning and given a linear origin story THAT would have been the boring thing. I see that criticism is a positive for not insulting our intelligence. Sort of like arrow I imagine he’s got a while to figure out what he’s doing/ his crime fighting goals. It’s a well crafted show.

• Matt is a lawyer, he has never been blue collar in the comics, no woman were beaten up, did you actually watch it?

• Max says:

Gosh, I was wondering exactly the same thing, Larry. I think tabularasalocke didn’t see what I saw. The fighting scenes are awesome, the gloomy feel of the all thing is stunning and I can’t keep myself from watching episode after episode. I wasn’t really a fan of Arrow, cause the all playboy thing just bored me to death. Characters weren’t that interesting and the plot… Well that’s my opinion and obviously it’s not really shared among you people, but I think Daredevil managed to add exactly what Arrow was lacking.

• tabularasalocke says:

Um…yes women were beat, did you watch it? The women who were being put in the container in the first episode were beat up. Karen was beat up until Matt came to save her. Claire was kidnapped and beat up by the thugs looking for Matt.

• Badpenny says:

I all fairness, there was woman who was tased as she was being put into the cargo container and Karen was assaulted a few times. So you cannot really say ‘no women were beaten up.’ That does not mean I agree with the OP about why he/she thinks the women were attacked – there are 25 times more men beaten then women in the show.
        If you are going to have a realistic setting then you are going to get violence. In general I would have expected to see a lot more violence in the series then what we actually do get. Hell’s Kitchen is portrayed as far less violent then many areas of NYC actually are.

• Max says:

I wasn’t actually talking about the “woman beating”. In fact, I don’t care about that part of the show, okay, women are getting beaten up, but as you said, men got their part too. No I was talking about the goal of Matt Murdock and how he got his powers. What could the show do to explain it? Make an episode where you see Matt’s DNA getting altered? At a nanoscopic scale? That would be lame and boring. I think it’s really fine that way, his powers not being the essential part of the show as they are obviously not as powerful as the ones the other avengers could have (yup, even Black widow with her sexiness power).

• Drew says:

I love the line about Black Widow. They had zero buildup to her character, so she really does just have the sexiness that seem to protect her from being dead when she should be.

12. Anne says:

This show is awesome! Action and characters are complex and interesting. It’s like arrow season one without all the CW nonsense.

13. Jillian says:

Woah. Netflix really hit it out of the park with this one (again). I love how it is dark like the DC shows but is in the Marvel universe. I just can’t imagine how awesome SHIELD could be if it was on a more creatively-free entity like Netflix or even cable.. I almost wish Daredevil wasn’t part of the pact with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage so we can get more seasons instead of a film.

14. The second episode is even better than the first (the last 5 mins can’t be missed!) This show is so well done and so far (3 episodes in) I’m hooked…great story lines all around too…

15. kirads09 says:

So.Much.Goodness.

16. Mikaylah says:

Almost done watching the season, and I’ve really enjoyed it. I love the amount of time they spend fleshing out each character, and on their POV. They do a much better job than a lot of other superhero shows. The characters are relatable, if not always likable. It’s always nice when you can be intrigued by and even understand the “bad” guys, rather than them being one dimensional villains.

17. arianeb says:

Saw all 13 episodes. Complaints about “women as victims” and not understanding the heroes motivations are addressed in the later episodes.

Wilson Fisk may be one of the best written bad guys on TV, and Vincent D’onofrio puts in an Emmy worthy performance in the role.

This is a great novel length story told in 13 hours of TV. Well thought out characters, lots of of great twists, and a satisfying end. Looking forward to more.

18. end of episode 4…kingpin OMG this show piss arrow-flash-gotham combined
    LOVE IT

19. Mr. Sunshine says:

In response to the article title, the actors, writers, and producers hit it out of the park! What a great series. And, it was so nice to have the luxury of binge watching. Thanks, Netflix!!!

20. Liz says:

binged the whole season over the weekend. totally awesome! i really hope they do a season 2 at some point, or at least let daredevil or matt murrdock cameo in the other hell’s kitchen series. also i’d love to see some limited run emmy noms for the show this year. the villain (won’t spoil who plays him just in case someone doesn’t already know) is amazing!

21. Ethan says:

Astonishly good.

22. TinLV says:

I have to say some scenes are a little graphic for my taste (car door).. but overall, I’m hooked on the show and will keep watching.

23. Thomas says:

Can I actually say I love your comments are monitored note? Because that is awesome.