Ratings: Nashville Hits Low, Idol Falls, Voice Boosts SVU, Survivor Ticks Up

Nashville Ratings Low Cancelled Renewed

ABC’s Nashville this Wednesday drew 4.7 million total viewers and a 1.1 rating, down 8 percent and two tenths and hitting a series low in the demo.

In total viewers, it was the musical drama’s second-smallest audience ever.

Opening ABC’s night, The Middle (7.2 mil/1.8) was steady, while The Goldbergs (6.5 mil/1.9) dipped 9 percent and one tenth. Leading out of a Modern Family rerun, black-ish (6.1 mil/1.9) dropped 18 and 20 percent.

Elsewhere….

FOX | American Idol (6.5 mil/1.4) fell 24 and 22 percent week-to-week.

NBC | Leading out of a special Voice airing (9.5 mil/2.1), SVU (7.5 mil/1.8) surged 16 and 20 percent, hitting its best demo number since Nov. 18. Chicago PD (6.8 mil/1.5) ticked down a tenth.

CBS | Survivor (9.6 mil/2.3) inched up a tenth, Criminal Minds‘ planted spinoff episode (10/1 mil/2.0) dipped a tenth, and CSI: Cyber (8.1 mil/1.4) was steady.

1. Tori Coop says:

But Criminal Minds still spanked SVU.

2. Sarah T says:

Has Nashville been officially reviewed yet? Also, a little bummed about Idol. I know it’s aging but I actually like it more this year than I have in the past. The 2 hour shows seem a bit crammed but they’re making the most of it.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

TVLine’s hand-crafted Renewal Scorecard is linked atop every TVLine page, in vibrant yellow.

• Elissa says:

Nashville = could go either way…and these numbers have me worried. REALLY hope it goes up next week #NashvilleSeason4 If they just got rid of a few recurring characters and focused on Rayna & Deacon & the girls/Juliette & Avery/Scarlett/Gunnar and THEIR MUSIC like in season 1 it would be amazing again….but I mean Rayna & Deacon are Finally together, so at least there’s that! I need it to be renewed.

3. zac says:

Hoping for upward adjustmets for Nashville and Idol

4. vicky says:

only because of stupid scheduling all the time,this is a great show. but im sure they’ll take it off like they do all the good ones.

5. Danny says:

I like “Criminal Minds” and “SVU,” but “Minds” didn’t ‘spank’ “SVU.” It had a stronger lead-in, and “SVU” continues to thrive, despite inconsistent (and usually low-rated) lead-ins. Maybe NBC should give “The Mysteries of Laura” time to grow before pulling the trigger, but it skews older, and everyone knows NBC hates older-appealing programs (just ask Kathy Bates, late of “Harry’s Law”). Meanwhile, I think a fourth season of “Nashville” is iffy, at best. Ratings low, there’s little (if any) buzz, except for with fans (I’m a fan!), and ABC desperately needs one-hour dramatic hits. I had high hopes for “American Crime,” but man – it’s slow. “Castle” is aging, “Forever” is on life support, “Grey’s Anatomy” is still strong, but weakening; “Scandal” is vulnerable; and “How to Get Away with Murder” needs to capitalize on predicted Emmy glory for Viola Davis. “Revenge” is on the bubble; same for “Secrets and Lies”; and “Resurrection” won’t be back. So again, a fourth season of “Nashville” could be profitable in terms of syndication and DVD revenue, but that’s it.

6. Carla Krae says:

Cue people saying they didn’t know Nashville was on for some reason….

7. kmw says:

How far Idol has fallen, and this despite that I have heard its been better than it has been in awhile. Poor Nashville really bad numbers for them. SVU got lead in from The Voice that helped them. And Survivor keeps on going.

• Larc says:

TPTB at Idol and maybe FOX have messed the show up past its ability to recover, IMO. And as if they hadn’t already made enough bad decisions, usurping regular voting control by introduction of Twitter voting on the 2 lowest vote getters to determine who goes home seems to be approaching the last straw.

8. Dennis says:

Hayden, come to Heroes!

9. Sarah says:

I knew Nashville was on, it just sucks. Rayna’s unlikable. Juliette is the only good and she’s barely on.

• Mary says:

I agree! I get why juilette is barely on this season but it has ruined the show. And it is so funny in their attempt to always portray Rayna as right, sweet and perfect she comes across as just selfish, terrible, hateful and so unlikable.

I only occasionally watch now. And really only will if I think juilette and Avery are heavily featured. It’s too bad last season was so good.

10. Boiler says:

Ah before long we will have 5 nights of The Voice, Bachelor, Bachelorette and whatever the Paradise crap is will alternate nights, We will see Idol 2 or 3 nights and they will kill Empire by putting it on every night.

A couple problems I see, one is the constant reruns and new shows alternating. The networks think it is so great when they give us 4 new ones in a row. The networks need to have at least 2 different season and not just populate one with the crap ABC announced a couple days ago. Second, the networks are programming for the young and, oh I can’t say what, to try and meet the demo and are losing viewers because of it. There are so many shows people seem to ignore that have had good years including Nashville, New Girl, Mindy. Networks keep crap and cancel good shows. Someday I hope the networks either wake up and actually see they are losing viewers or they will no longer be at all relevant.

11. PSL says:

Talk about killing a show! Nashville turned off this former fan when they gave Deacon cancer. For the millions of viewers who have lost loved ones to cancer, this is not what I consider entertainment.