Giuliana Rancic Blames 'Editing' for Fashion Police Flub, Hints at Departure

Giuliana Rancic Fashion Police

Fashion Police co-host Giuliana Rancic appeared on the Today show Monday to play the blame game explain away her involvement in the E! panel show’s recent scandal surrounding Disney Channel actress Zendaya.

Despite already apologizing on air for offending Zendaya — her comments about the K.C. Undercover star’s appearance on the Oscars red carpet contained potentially racist undertones — Rancic felt there was still more to say.

“I made a reference to the hippie culture,” she explained. “I talked about patchouli oil, which is a hippie perfume. And in the editing process, some of the gestures I made, some of the things I said were taken out for time. I made peace signs, I said ‘bohemian’ twice — those were taken out for time. So when the joke aired, some people were offended by it.”

She continued, “I thought that the joke was not edited in the proper way, and that’s just something I have to live with. It’s very important for me to just get out there and tell the real story, and I knew I would have my moment. But those darn headlines were so crazy for so long that I thought, ‘Let everything calm down, and then I can come out and tell the real story.'”

As for whether or not Rancic will appear on the show when it returns in September — Kelly Osbourne and Kathy Griffin have already made very public exits — she simply said, “We’ll see.”

Do you think Rancic should cut her losses and leave Fashion Police behind? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Where does Fashion Police go from here? It hasn’t been the same now that both Kathy & Kelly are goners since the whole Giuliana/Zendaya fiasco.

2. zac says:

cut the fashion police crap and make another scripted series. The Royals is a real good guilty pleasure

• Temperance says:

The Royals is actually pretty awesome. I just power watched the eps so far, and it’s a lot of fun and much better than the promos led us to believe.

3. DJRMewzique says:

No one with half a brain was offended by the joke as, even edited, it was just a joke….intelligent people got the reference. No need to explain it…and never apologize for a joke.

• Angela says:

Always apologize for a RACIST joke, that’s the difference.

• jab says:

You would say that. If it didn’t offend YOU then I guess it wasn’t offensive. Sounds like something a white person would say. Rancid made an offensive comment at the very least, whether you want to make excuses for it or not. The comment was not needed at all. End of story.

4. Matt C. says:

They should have let the show end when Joan died. Nothing has gone right with that show ever since her passing. I’m sure Giuliana is more than ready to move on.

5. Smartacus says:

Her comment was not remotely racist. Anyone who thinks it was is frankly dumb and/or looking to be offended. Apologizing and explaining only encourages them and their whiny overreactions. Her joke didn’t lower my opinion of her but this unnecessary apology tour does.

• Angela says:

This whole comment is dumb, I bet you found the RACIST joke funny *rme*

• Smartacus says:

No, I didn’t find it funny. It was quite lame, which was the only offensive thing about it because it certainly wasn’t racist.

• Tai says:

Your comment is kind of ignorant. I’m sorry. I tried to find a better way to phrase that but eh, you just talked about people being stupid for being offended by Guiliana’s comments. I figure you could take it.

Anyway, why your comment is kind of ignorant. Sure what she meant was about the bohemian culture but that’s not how it was perceived. It’s easy for me as another person of color to see how the comment could be perceived as an insult. I didn’t take it as one because I don’t really think Guiliana has the intelligence to pull off a subtle racist comment. But again, I can see how. Just because you can’t doesn’t make those that do dumb and/or looking for a reason to be offended.

• Smartacus says:

Oh, I can definitely see how people thought it was a racist comment. They think every negative comment that happens to be about a person of color is motivated by racism. I completely understand that. But they are wrong. That’s the thing. Assuming that a joke is racist when there is no logical reason to think so is the thought process of a person who wants to be mad at something. And that isn’t unique to people desperately inventing instances of racism. We saw it in the people who griped about the opening sequence of Mad Men because it reminded them of 9/11. We see it every holiday season when someone whines that their grocery checker said Merry Christmas instead of Happy Hanukkah. These are people whose only real problem is not having a problem thus not having anything to complain about.

6. Ashbash says:

I feel like sometimes the best thing to do is just take responsibility for what you say and stop trying to explain your case. She said something that taken out of context or not was offensive and instead of taking responsibility she has consistently played the “it’s not my fault it was offensive” game. When this many people are offended and it was even warned that it would be offensive beforehand, the only thing you should be saying is I’m sorry what I said was offensive. That’s it no other explanations just I’m sorry. That’s taking adult responsibility. And even without the editing the added peace signs and bohemian being thrown around would not of calmed the storm because most people were offended by the fact that 2 weeks earlier she was praising Kylie Jenner for being edgy by wearing dreadlocks but the minute Zendaya wears them she’s suddenly a bohemian peace and love pothead. That’s what people were mad about too and that’s what people read as racist it was edgy on the white celebrity but something to be mocked on the minority celebrity. She clearly did not learn anything from this because she didn’t even find out what people were really offended by.

• Tony says:

Didn’t know the bit about Kylie Jenner. Puts the whole situation into much bigger context. I do agree that just biting the bullet and taking responsibility is probably the best course of action

7. hipster says:

She’s a pro who’s been with E! for forever. She should know what powers editing can do (if that’s her case). First rule of unscripted TV, they can always make a story out of anything your mouth says.

8. Amilah says:

As an African American woman, I did not think Rancid ‘ comments were racist. That girls hair looked like hippie dreads. and if you’ve ever been around the hippie potheads like I encountered in college they always smelled of patchouli and weed. I think that’s what she was implying. Unfortunately, only Joan could say this stuff and not get grief. I think Kelly is full of it, she needed a reason to leave Fashion Police and Zen day a was the perfect excuse. Why Rancid decided to bring this up again is beyond me. I suspect there’s an announcement coming.

• jab says:

It doesn’t matter if you are AA or not. Just because YOU weren’t offended doesn’t mean everyone else shouldn’t be as well.

9. delfiteblu says:

Maybe they could have a NEW Fashion Police – with all new people, new to E (not Maria Menounos or Alicia Quarles) where they actualy talked about the fashion and why some things worked and some things didn’t. That always interests me – it’s the ugliness that kept me away; the dirty language that Joan used and the snottiness (see above for example) Just because they’re E and they CAN be obnoxious doesn’t mean they have to be.

• Topsy Turvy says:

This is what I’ve thought all along. There is no reason to try to duplicate the show that Joan led–which I loved. Why not give it a makeover and bring in all new people and focus on the fashion / clothes / styling and quit trying to “be funny.” The Daily Show has evolved each time someone left; the same with The Soup.

10. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Overall CANCEL Fashion Police the show is no longer the same. I never liked Giuliana anyways so if she leaves then BYE!!!!!

11. Dude says:

She should have let it die. I wasn’t offended by it even though I found it incredibly dumb but sometimes you just have to go with the perception (even if it was taken out of context) and own up to what you said. Whether she meant to be racist or not, she offended people and she should have just taken responsibility, apologized and moved on. I have more respect for people who completely own an apology than I do for people that try to explain it away and come up with excuses.

12. abby says:

I think the network and her cohosts totally threw her under the bus here. The show could have been really great with Kathy Griffith at the helm but I also think there is a lot of truth in the points she made in her exit statement, about the show being mean-spirited at it’s core. The whole red carpet unattainable beauty culture is out of control and I think now it’s time to let the show die.

• Delirious says:

Hey, I guess we just need the full, un-edited part of the show.

PS. I don’t even remember what the joke was in the first place, or how racist or not it was. Nor I watch the show anyway. I’m just here for the controversy :P

13. jetsfan1106 says:

Her comments STILL make no sense b/c they could also be seen as offensive to the Hippie/Bohemian community. What does flashing a peace sign mean? That you’re absolved? You just made it worse, Rancic. Didn’t buy your story before; certainly don’t buy it now. And if you had hours after taping to correct or change it, why didn’t YOU? if no one else objected or found it offensive, what about your own compass?

14. DavidSask says:

It would be best when show returns a total recast, maybe Brad be exception since he actually works in the industry!

15. steph says:

I can’t understand people who think this joke is racist. If you want to say it’s stereotypical then fine, but it had nothing to do with the fact that Zendaya is black. It had to do with her dreds. Most people associate dreds with hippies, which is why Guiliana mentioned the patchouli oil. She wasn’t referencing black hippies or white hippies, just hippies in general, so it really has nothing to do with race. Again, it you want to say the comment is based off of generalizations many people make about hippies- that they smoke tons of weed- then I can agree with that, but c’mon, there is absolutely nothing racist about this comment. Just because you make a comment about a black person, doesn’t automatically make it racist. Seriously, if Guilianna had made the exact same comment about Serena Gomez or some other white Disney star, would we have ever had this conversation? Nope.

This is just so crazy. I’ve heard WAY worse on Fashion Police and this stupid comment is what upsets everyone? SO DUMB.

16. Temperance says:

Ghoul-ee-ana looks like an animated corpse. I can’t even look at her picture for more than a few seconds. Eeesh.

17. KevyB says:

Gawd, does this mean that she can go back to being emaciated and talentless OFFSCREEN?

18. My2Cents says:

She needs to leave Fashion Police. She’s awful on that show. Always has been. Actually she should leave TV entirely,and focus on that weight problem that she doesn’t have. She’s lying about that. And we blames everyone else for her problems. Way to pay the

• My2Cents says:

Meant she blames everyone else for her problems. Way to play the pity card Giuliana. Go to Chicago, and take care of your son.

19. My2Cents says:

She needs to leave Fashion Police. She’s awful on that show. Always has been. Actually she should leave TV entirely,and focus on that weight problem that she doesn’t have. She’s lying about that. And she blames everyone else for her problems. Way to play the pity card Giuliana.

20. Lola says:

Joan Rivers was Fashion Police, Fashion Police is Joan Rivers. E and Melissa should have opted to end the show when Joan died. Replacing her with Ms Griffith was a good attempt to keep the show going but it was never going to be the same. We all laughed at Joan’s crass jokes and loved them BECAUSE it was Joan. She is the only one who could pull it off, making those rude comments but remaining unapologetic, while we all continued to laugh. It’was her gift and you cant re-produce that formula.

Guiliana was always the one who winced at Joan’s jokes when she went too far but now she is in a position where she is trying to be Joan. Ur, no! Guiliana (bless her heart) is not even funny. It’s not her forte. She is the fashion brain on the team, not the clown ans she should not even be trying to make jokes.

E should cut it’s losses. Trying to keep the show going is a huge mistake. Melissa, Joan’s death was a force majeure. End the contract, craft another show while you still have some fans left!

21. gogo says:

That was Joans show…it should have stoped immediatly.

22. Gwenna says:

Who is Guiliana Rancic anyway and furthermore who cares ??

23. Katheryn Mun says:

Please keep G Rancic also kloe and Ne Me Leaks and original male I thought Kelly Osborne saying who going to clean are toilets was a true racist remarh her mother same vibe go bk to England