Reality Check: Has a Definitive Top 5 Emerged on American Idol? Plus: Do We Care Which Coach Wins The Voice?

We’re down to only eight singers on Season 14 of American Idol — and Kelly Clarkson Week helped five of ’em begin to separate from the pack.

Still, there’s plenty for my cohost Melinda Doolittle and me to disagree about on this week’s installment of Reality Check — especially when it comes to the A- that I gave to Quentin Alexander’s “Dark Side” in my written TVLine Idol recap last Wednesday. We also dish the trouble with some of Harry Connick Jr.’s critiques, the perils of old-fashioned mics and the possible overpraise of perceived front-runner Clark Beckham.

If that’s not enough reality-competition chatter for you, Melinda and I also talk about our favorites from the final week of The Voice’s Season 8 Knockout Rounds — including references to sexy husky dogs and Godzilla emerging from the ocean.

Press PLAY above for the full episode, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Omar says:

Yes. Reality check is finally here!! Love you guys!

2. Kate says:

Ding, dong, the twerp is gone!

• Tommyo2000 says:

Be nice… He’s15… And a sweet kid to boot..

• marie says:

Exactly. The kid was in over his head. Now he can go home and be a kid again, with some fun memories and the chance to do it one more time by coming back for the finale.

• Kate says:

I wrote a long reply that never showed up, but basically – you’re right. He’s a sweet kid. It’s the adults around him — his parents primarily, but also the producers and judges — who I blame for putting him on TV. He wasn’t talented enough and took someone else’s spot, and that made me unhappy to see him every week and to celebrate when he went home. It’s the adults I hold responsible.

• JoMarch says:

I agree with you Kate about his talent, but I wish you and the others when talking about the character traits of someone you don’t even know, would preface the comment with the phrase “he appears to be…. (in this case “sweet)”. You don’t know him personally.

• Tommyo2000 says:

Hence the word “appears”

• T.B. Hammer says:

80% chance that Qaasim is next out. Then the battle begins for style, likability, genre types, song choice and even a little about vocal skills – and twitter power..

• Speaking of Daniel, I just saw a picture of Adanna Duru laying down with her head on Daniels lap! Very cute and sexy! If anything is there Daniel landed himself a beauty! Daniel did say on the local news interview that he was very “close” with Adanna! I live in Oregon and saw the interview when he said it. He also just turned 16 on April 2. Whats weird there, so did Sawyer on The Voice, turned 16 also!

• Jill Moy says:

BECCA,

Adanna would eat Danny Boy up alive…LOL! Melinda LOVES Rayvon and Tonya! I don’t care for either one! Her judge of talent is questionable!

• ajthebae69 says:

Her judge of talent isn’t questionable, at least not in my opinion. She almost won American Idol; of course she has a good ear for music and is musically inclined. Rayvon is probably the best pure VOCALIST left, and Tyanna is also a very competent singer. Just because you don’t personally like someone doesn’t make their supporters any less qualified to comment on the show.

• dev says:

I love Tyanna, both vocally and what personality shows in the short time we get to know her. I like all the remaining singers/performers. They’re all much better, in my opinion, then last year’s winner.

3. webly3 says:

I completely agree about the American Idol final 5 contenders. I really want Tyanna to have a great comeback performance, but I don’t see that happening at this point.

4. ldan says:

Clark is rightfully praised and he is the frontrunner at this time. About Quentin’s A-, I would’ve only given him a B.

5. Sierra says:

Melinda has a far better ear than Michael, no contest.

• Mary says:

I agree that Clark is better technically than Quentin, but Quentin pulls me in every time.
      I understand why Michael grades him higher, because he is as they say the full package.
      I would go see Quentin or Joey in concert before I would go see Clark or Jax. I think it comes down to preference. I was actually surprised this week by a lot of contestants because Kelly songs are not easy to sing.

• JayNC says:

Yes exactly. Sometimes there is just something about a singer that makes you overlook the technical flaws, and Quentin has it. He is definitely in my top 5 and I think he deserved the A- for his compelling performance. And you must admit his vocals were better this week – he said he is working on it and it shows.

• dev says:

I agree, except I’d go see Max too. :)

• karyn says:

I completely agree. I wish we could get Melinda’s comments earlier in the process because she is more on point musically. I read Michael’s blog for his humor but often feel he is judging with his emotional meter rather than his ears.

6. CandaceTX says:

Rayvon is this season’s Hailey Reinhart or Jessica Meuse. No matter what or how well he does, the judges are going to shart all over it with some nonsensical critique that has literally nothing to do with the vocals.

• Gdv says:

Which is bizarre, right? Rayvon is an extremely marketable artist. Really good looking, stylish, nice, MALE, and a great singer. I wonder what the producers’ beef is with him? He was my fave from the other night. I can definitely see him doing a radio-friendly, john legend-esque album.

• DTF says:

He’s incredibly dull though. I’d rather watch paint dry than listen to any album he makes.

• Nan says:

ITA There isn’t anything distinctive about his voice. It’s generic. There will never be voice recognition with him. But he’s so likable that he could have a future in show biz, just not as a lead singer.

• Rayvon is saved for the 3rd week in a row? 2 twitter saves and in bottom 3 when Maddie and Adanna were eliminated! That should be enough! 3 weeks in a row and good people are going home? There is a reason he keeps being in the bottom! Time to go!

• When I say good people are going home, I mean I miss Adanna Duru and also Qaasim was at least not boring! Adanna was not boring either and I find Rayvon is past his time to go!

• Mark Pegues says:

I agree, do something with that goofy hat… It obviously is not helping. This guy hasn’t taken one step out of his comfort zone. He is sure enough generic. Clark is hands down the best singer, but is about as cool as a turd in a punch bowl. Quentin is as cool as it gets, but tends to go with slow, dull music choices. Jax is dressed like she is in an late 80’s hair metal band, but doesn’t quite seem to know what to do musicaly. Joey is a lot of fun, her music is out dated for the masses and may not be my cup a tea, but she is good at what she does and I appreciate that and the different pace. Nick Daughtry… Nuff said. Tyanna is a very talented young lady. For her age she is very good. Hell she is very good at any age. Not sure she is the whole package though. No lack in talent however. With all that said, this is a talented group. One tweek here and one tweek there, anyone could win. If they could find someone to dress Clark and give him some swag, it would be over in my opinion.

• Susan says:

Rayvon is not a star. He is a good singer and there are a multitude of those. I am with Michael on this one. Melinda is supporting a friend.Technicality is not what make people look and listen it’s heart and soul and visual and a whole lot more.

• GDV But we already have John Legend! Why would we want another John Legend type that isnt as good?

• Temperance says:

Nah. He’s got a gorgeous tone, but he’s otherwise totally forgettable. And Melinda is totally off this week – his song was really just so-so.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

Exactly. Melinda and Michael nitpicked the opening bars of Clark’s performance, but wholly failed to mention the first half of Rayvon’s. It was unintelligible. Dude sounded like he was underwater. “Shvom grwm lurm blem loosh zwin” was all I heard. What language was that? Martian? Did Melinda use her telepathic powers to hear words that were not transmitted through the cable box? I thought I was hearing farm animals.

• nich says:

I agree. Rayvon sounds really good but then I forget about it ten minutes later. He’s solid but he needs to be more than that.

• karyn says:

ITA that he’s forgettable despite a great voice. But I still think this was his best performance on the live shows and the week before was his best up till then, so he is improving and with that set of pipes, he could gain some stage skills and be something.

• karyn says:

I’m taking back my improvement trend comment. The week before this was 80’s week and I wasn’t a fan of his version of Everybody Wants to Rule the World. Maybe I was thinking of the week before that . . . ? The fact that I can’t remember any of his other performance just reinforces the forgettableness.

• Simon says:

The week before that was Staying Alive, which was even worse. He’s honestly been pretty consistently bad recently, up until this week.

• karyn says:

@Simon – Yikes, you’re totally right! OK, so one week of improvement. We’ll see tonight I guess.

• Jill Moy says:

uDON’T COMPARE HALEY TO MEUSE (MOOSE) Meuse sounded like an off key goat, where Haley was a good singer. I told everyone Moose would go nowhere! As for Rayvon, he is boring and never has been very good!

• Jaszy says:

Please don’t compare them to him. I loved Haley Reinhart and Jessica Meuse…they were treated more horribly than Rayvon will ever be…they are GIRLS!

• JayNC says:

Oh no, he does not compare to Haley or Jessica, sorry. Nice fellow, decent voice (except for that falsetto, please no more) but otherwise forgettable.

7. ctz says:

Boo — short Idol Reality Check this week.

8. brother andy says:

There are many different kinds of performers. Perhaps Quentin Alexander is like Elvis or Madonna or Michael Jackson wherein he can perform in person and sell you magnetism or he can go into the studio and deliver a “technical” song through good song choice and A-list producers. Unfortunately, the track record of AI shows the winner will be “safer”/middle of the road with someone like Clark than a risky wild-card like Quentin who is over-all the most talented, not necessarily the most “polished”. I can not image listening to Jax or Joey for two hours on stage with their effected enunciation and contrived quirk. AI is a TV show about a contest, not about developing real talent for real show business.

• JayNC says:

Yeah, I think Clark is the lock for the win. Sort of a better version of Taylor Hicks. And I totally agree with you about Joey and Jax – I would not see either of them in concert. I personally would love to see a Quentin/Nick finale.

• S. says:

Clark isn’t a lock for the win (maybe not even the finale), nor is he a better version of Taylor Hicks. He’s a poor man’s Phillip Phillips. The ironic thing being that he’s a better vocalist than P2 in terms of technique, but he has less character and emotion in his eyes and performance. He’s trying to sing like he has passion instead of actually having it. The dead eyes are killing me. It’s a shame too because he’s so talented.

9. Can we please replace JLo with Kelly next year???

10. karenb says:

Love the Cookie Clips! Always make me laugh. Was hoping Kelly’s “I think I’m pregnant” comment would make its way into Reality Check haha. Haven’t waivered once from my top 3 from day one. Jax Clarke, and Quinten. All three of them are so different that I think it would make for a great top 3. And I’m sorry-I know that I’m in the minority here but I just can’t get on the Joey train. I’ve tried. I just can’t.

• Scott says:

It’s ok! To each their own! I love Joey, but I recognize she isnt everyone’s cup of tea. But I love your 3 too. So I have a top 4 i guess.

• MAB says:

So agree with your top 3 and also on not getting on the Joey train. I really want to like her and I do to some degree but not for Idol. The only time I really liked her is when she sang Mad World and that was because she toned it down.

• karenb says:

Thanks guys. Glad I’m not alone!

11. So my last comment disappeared! I agree with Michael about Quentin! I get a warm, fuzzy, almost spiritual feeling when I even see him standing on the stage. I looked on his facebook and he is into spirit animals and further spiritual things! I think he has the power of some sort. I may sound crazy, but some people have that special light about them and dont even try! Kelly even said that! Their presence in the room is enough to cause that kind of energy! Ok laugh at me, but Im not the only one who says he does blast out a feeling right out of the tv set and into our living rooms! And HE IS FROM NEW ORLEANS where its that whole voodoo and spiritual, magical culture! We have now entered the Twilight Zone! And its beautiful!

• Even though Quentin got his braces off, when he smiles you can see these little side fangs that I think are so cute and just matches his uniqueness. Almost vampire fangs? He is just amazing! Maybe he should perform “Cry Little Sister” from the Lost Boys soundtrack and make it his own! That is a great song!

• girl_3 says:

This. My head agrees with Melinda, but there is something about Quentin that draws you in. When I watched Reality Check I was more aware of his pitch problems, but in the moment when he is performing I cannot take my eyes off of him.

• Yes Quentin is magic!

• JoMarch says:

OMG, what is he a spirit, magic or a vampire? Maybe he’s a unicorn who had his horn removed magically by a voodoo princess. LOL! Get a grip folks and this is from someone who is a Reiki master, a hypnotist and a healer. If he was magical, he probably wouldn’t have such pitch problems.

• Mary says:

Quite a few of my comments disappear, that if it doesn’t show after the second try I give up. I know what you mean, he might not be the best singer but man I actually stop and stare at the TV when he is on. I look for the voice first but there is something about him that I don’t care if it is not prefect. I think that says a lot. My top two are Joey and Quentin, won’t happen but I do hope at least one of them makes top three. Clark has a nice voice but I get no emotion whatsoever when he sings. Jax sounds repetitive on her songs, but I will say she can sing just not my taste.

12. marie says:

Yes. That IS the problem with The Voice: it SHOULD be about the contestants. Idol is better than Voice on that, but I think 1) the Idol producers, perhaps seeing the greater success of The Voice, are trying to showcase the judges more – a mistake; and 2) these days, Harry certainly seems to think the show is about him.

• LeahKittyS says:

Up-vote. For me it’s still the contestants make the show. If I want more from the judges I’ll buy their albums.

• Nan says:

Well, IMO The Voice has a genie in a bottle [Xtina] and AI has a judge in a bottle and you never know from week just how much of the bottle got into the judge. The stages are mellow, happy show off, hectoring and professorial and finally complete jerk.

• Anon-y-muss says:

I disagree with this. Look at how the two shows start. Idol starts with Ryan introducing “The Stars of our show” the judges and then the judges parading out on stage to give high fives to the crowd before sitting down. The Voice starts with the coaches in their seats and just introduced by Carson. Also, on the Voice, for the contest itself it does matter which coach the contestants pick because different coaches will direct and produce each contestant differently. On Idol the contestants are left to their own devices with no input from the judges except what they get during comments after performances. On the Voice the coaches antics are between performances and have no other connection to the show, during the performances all the attention is on the contestant. On Idol the judges antics normally involve the contestants or the performances inserting the judges where they shouldn’t be.

13. Tommyo2000 says:

I just don’t get Melinda’s love of Rayvon. He is perfect… Perfectly dull

• Temperance says:

Exactly. He’s gorgeously neutral.

• Jay says:

Rayvon is an academic singer, his technique is perfect, his tone is divine, but he is singing without conviction. Quentin on the other hand is all about style and passion. Qaasim is all about performance. All three have part of the equation, none have all. If you could put them together into one performer you’d have something.

14. Tommyo2000 says:

I agree the top 4 are Quentin, Joey, Jax, Clark… Nick or Rayvon round out the top five.

15. i really hope i’m not the only one that thought max flopped.

also, though i am glad that joey is getting more comfortable with being on stage, she is becoming quite predictable.

16. LeahKittyS says:

I love that you guys went in depth about the good this week, but there should still be time to discuss the bad and what they can do better, if they can do anything. And no victory song or funny clips to accompany the Twitter Save, or the fact that Justin Bieber is gone? Talk about a missed opportunity! Seriously, you guys need to do separate shows for Idol and The Voice.

• marie says:

I’d love it if there were separate shows for Idol and Voice – heck, I’d love it if Reality Check was in three parts totaling about half an hour, as in the old days – but asking for more is asking Michael, Melinda, Jason, and everyone else involved in production to put in even more working hours. I don’t feel comfortable asking for that; I don’t feel I have that right.

• Kelli says:

I completely agree, especially with only 9 contestants there is definitely time to talk about them all. And way way too many clips of Joey. I would prefer half the clips of Joey and then even 1-2 minutes on the others. Especially because I watch these back even years later I want to remember all the performances.

• karenb says:

I go back and watch old performances too from years ago. I even have a few performances (remember when you could get those on iTunes?) on my phone. I know that you can find them on YouTube but the ones that they sold were produced better.

17. froggybottom says:

Mix Rayvon’s technique with Quentin’s mystique and that’s a spirit animal I can get behind. Still hoping for a Tyanna comeback. I prefer Joey’s approach to Jan’s disingenuous one. Can we have Kelly next year in place of Harry, please.

18. marie says:

No comment on the Twitter save, huh? Even though I was pleased with the outcome this time, the more I think about the concept, the more annoyed I get. One contestant got the lowest number of votes: why should someone who got MORE votes, i.e. the person with the second-lowest number of votes, who is technically safe, be put in jeopardy and possibly have to leave in favor of the person who actually lost that week? How is that fair? I don’t love the judges’ save, but at least that’s just that, a SAVE, and no one goes home that week. With the Twitter save, someone who should be safe that week is put in jeopardy.
    It also makes me feel like my votes don’t count: only Twitter users can vote for their choice of the bottom two. I’m not a Twitter user: the votes I may have placed for either of the bottom two don’t count, but only those of the Twitter users who weigh in on the bottom two in the Twitter save.

• Puchinsmom says:

I agree. I was very unhappy when I heard about the twitter save. At least last week the right person FINALLY went home. But I still am not liking the format.

• Kiki says:

What bugs me about the Twitter save is that only two time zones get to vote! They should start calling it EasternTimeZone Idol instead of American Idol.

• marie says:

Very true. Living on the East coast I didn’t think of that, but you’re right, there’s another aspect of the Twitter save that’s bottom-line unfair.

• Lisa says:

What bugs me about the Twitter save is that it’s most likely AI’s “last minute twist” of this season. Certainly they couldn’t do the same thing as last year since it didn’t go over well. It seems to me like it might have been their last ditch effort to save Daniel, the tween teen voting machine.

• MAB says:

Wrong! The Twitter save was announced the week before before any votes were cast yet. They had no idea who would be in the bottom. The week they announced the Twitter save Daniel wasn’t even in the bottom 3. Unless. They are totally psychic they had no way of knowing who will benefit from the Twitter save. Not everything is a conspiracy.

• karyn says:

Actually, this doesn’t mean West Coast people can’t participate in the twit save, just that they can’t see the show before they do it, which is almost worse. As long as they are on twitter or following someone’s live blog, they’ll see what is happening and start voting for whoever was their favorite from the week before. So for example, Daniel is from the West Coast so some argued the twitter save favored Rayvon. BUT, any Daniel fan who was paying attention to the twitter save before the show actually began in their time zone, would vote for Daniel on faith without having seen the train wreck of a performance he gave just before the twitter save voting began. So this actually could have helped him to get votes.

• Kiki says:

You make good points, karyn. But a lot of that is just not in the cards for a lot of people who’ll be at work or commuting home right when they’d have to be following a live-blog or such. It means that the few folks from the Pacific time zone who tweet will mostly be quite young or very fervent, whereas ordinary watchers in the other two time zones will be tweeting. And you’re so right that even if we did that, we wouldn’t have seen the performances we were supposedly voting on!

• MAB says:

They also have a live feed so they can view the save performances before voting. So if they keep up with Twitter they can be part of the save.

• Smokey says:

And, there is still some vote splitting going on where voters are trying to keep 2 or 3 in the competition —- so the stage is set, over the next 2 or 3 weeks, if they keep thiis twitter save going —– for……

let’s just say, for example, that Quentin ends-up in the bottom 2 before long ——– and has 300,000 real votes, (undisclosed of course) ——-Then say for instance,———— Rayvon is the other bottom 2 and gets only 100,000 real votes —–

and Rayvon wins the twitter battle again. ……..Just an example of how the lowest votes, by far, no longer spell elimination. One could have 3X as many real votes and get thrown-out.by twitter.

• marie says:

Yes! The second-lowest could get 100 times as many votes as the lowest vote getter and still go home!
        Drama over fairness. I don’t like it.

• karenb says:

It seems like we shouldn’t even vote on performance night and just wait for the Twitter war.

• MAB says:

That really does not make sense. You vote for your favorites to keep them out of the bottom two. It is only the bottom two that are subject to the Twitter save.

• SMOKEY It looks like after tonight Rayvon just might keep beating everyone with his twitter saves! 3 weeks now, although the first week there was no twitter save, but Adanna and Maddie went home and he was bottom 3 with them! More and more contestants might keep going home and Rayvon stays. Everyone was worried that Daniel would stand in peoples way, but its Rayvon! I think this whole twitter save is somehow a CHEAT SAVE! If America already voted, why do they have to do this, and also its very hard for west coast to vote when they arent watching the show. At the time it is airing on east coast it is dinner time over here on west coast. People are busy eating or cooking,so not voting.

• girl_3 says:

It is unfair, Marie for all the reasons you mentioned. I will cop to being a grade-A hypocrite because I am grateful for its existence this week but I am 100 percent certain if Daniel had been the beneficiary of the Twitter Save I would be in full-on rage mode.

• Mary says:

This 100%. I actually didn’t vote last week because l am not on twitter so it really was a waste of time in my eyes. I am happy with the outcome this week but I don’t think it is fair either. The other reason I do not care for it is because to me they are copying the Voice. Do they not have any original ideas themselves.

• Lisa says:

It’s probably this year’s version of the “last minute twist” that was used in an attempt to save Sam last year. They probably knew that Daniel had the lowest votes, and they were attempting to save the teen tween voting machine in a last ditch effort.

• Mary says:

I think the opposite, I got the feeling Scott didn’t want him there and this was a way to maybe eliminate him because he was on the west coast and they would have a more difficult time doing the twitter save. Oh well, at least it worked now they can get rid of this unfair twitter save or keep it till the finale and have a twit off against the top two.
        Wouldn’t that be exciting.

19. brother andy says:

BTW, you guys keep going on about pitch in the contestants…How do you explain David Hasselhoff’s “singing” career and appearance on Idol? You discuss “talent” in a “talent contest” when, in real show business, “talent” is only one component of a “package” and not a very important one. Popularity beats out skill every time (which explains why Daniel was there for so long). Ironic because, if your theories/ assumptions have merit, Ms. Doolittle (according to her own admissions) should have won Idol by “playing the game” and not just “standing there and singing well”, therefore, all this talk about technique is moot. The discussion should be about how to be popular like “The Hoff”.

• Jill Moy says:

BROTHER ANDY,

Those are about the most intelligent comments I’ve ever read!You are 100% correct! If Doolittle was better looking she would have won! It is a popularity contest! Melinda was described as Shrek, etc., etc. She was possible the best singer ever on Idol!

20. marie says:

Don’t get me wrong, I adore Melinda and very often agree with her, but I’m with Michael on Quentin. He’s not the strongest technical singer, granted. But he absolutely mesmerized me. I can overlook some less-than-perfect notes in his case. I hope, though, he does get some good coaching and bolsters up the technical side of his singing; it can do him only good and enhance his performances even more.

• Amy in Missouri says:

Quentin’s recording of “Dark Side” is great. For me, he’s the most interesting contestant.

21. Liz says:

I LOVE Melinda D. but I have to agree with Michael regarding Quentin. He may not be as good of a singer as Clark or Rayvon but there is just something about him that is more exciting, more compelling, more everything. I can’t take my eyes off of him when he performs. Joey and Jax round out my top three and I am really rooting for Tiana to make a comeback to her early, easy breezy performances.

• Craig says:

Yes, Quentin has what Clark and Rayvon do not (and likely never will): loads of natural charisma and a genuine intensity in each of his performances.

• Jill Moy says:

OF COURSE RAYVON ISN’T THE SINGER QUENTIN IS! APPLES AND ORANGES THOSE 2!

22. Ethan says:

I agree with Melinda on everythig this week

23. Dee says:

Sorry to disagree but I do care about the coaches and which one wins.

Yes the show is about the singers and they get my full support too but I only watch the show because I’m a fan of Christina. If she wasn’t on then I wouldn’t be watching.

• melissa99 says:

Me too!! I could care less about the contestants. I just love seeing the coaches banter and have a good time.

• Lisa says:

I actually agree with you. I’m actually new to watching The Voice. I like the format. Each coach has different musical strengths that they can impart to the contestants. The coaches actually have a stake in the success of their contestant. They are a part of the development of the talent. The judges aren’t merely critiquing the performance, they have their hands in the shaping of the artists. The contestant’s performances and growth really matter to them. While it’s not about the coaches, the coaches do make a difference by providing guidance to them.

• Lisa says:

In regards to their antics, they keep it to between performances. Additionally, their banter is fun and way better than the contrived antics we’ve seen AI pull for entertainment value. Every year, AI puts through a contestant that’s subpar as a voting machine. This year it was Daniel Seavey. A kid who could have done well on the show 1 or 2 years from now. It’s sad, because he could have had a real shot, but instead he became the scorned one of this season. One hell of a thing to do to a 15 year old, just for ratings/votes.

Not to mention, the surprise twist from last season that looked so contrived that it had everyone screaming “conspiracy”.

• Smokey says:

The Voice “selects” their talent for the show, from whatever the selection scouts -screener’s send their way to perform. The Coaches then select by what they “hear” that they think is interesting………………………………………………………………………………..

Idol “casts” their top 24 with a resulting heavy influence on top 12. Singing rotation of 12 is also a factor in who they are favoring,—in the top 12 boys/girls rotation of performance,…. then starting the blended top 12. (Sarina was first, cut) …………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Part of the “casting” is showing difference — odd but catchy styles, slick styles, front-man of the band styles, performance glitter, garb, dress, gimmicks or dynamics, Rockers vs. Crooners, wee young and cute vs. older and experienced. Some are just to be there to fill a spot in the show and be different,,, until they shake-out to the top 3 or 4. …………

Then E-19, the record contract people —-hope there is some real marketable talent there, to eventually win. Fox Network hopes there is enough talent there that the final 3 or 4 shows especially…..don’t tank and flounder. The viewer base needs to build and not be declining, in order to justify ad rates.

24. I still think Tyanna is in with a shot.

25. I still think Tyanna is in with a shot. She is one great performance away from leading the pack.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

I think she’s in the bottom two this week and no matter what she does finishes no higher than seventh.

• I think both Quassim and Rayvon could/should go home before her. They have all been in the bottom. She never has.

• Smokey says:

Rayvon fans, if it follows the last stat’s that I seen, can probably out-twitter either of the Q’s and Tyanna………………………………………..

Could be a toss-up if Rayvon fans go against Joey or Nick. ……..

Rayvon would probably lose a twitter battle against Jax or Clark. ………………………so, unless or until they kill the twitter deal, the show is now all about dedicated fans of the artist who also have twitter accounts…..and are in the right time zones unless they catch this supposed “streaming” deal of some kind.??.(don’t know how that works)……………………. grading performances now means little, unless popular vote keeps your pick(s) out of the bottom 2. ….So keep voting.

26. guest says:

love it.. totally agree with miss. m! not drinking the Q – Kool-Aid on idol. Both Qs.

• B says:

Me neither. I care about being entertained, but I also care about a vocal sounding good. I don’t think Quentin is bad necessarily. But the performances are so over the top with the music, the background, the clothes, etc. I also feel like he is one note: yes, that one note is intense. There needs to also be some happy and loving notes that can be hit to make a great artist IMO.

• Hayder B. Hayden says:

Recent history supports a strategy of one note performances. Caleb, McGruder, P2, Lee Dwyze–all of them were one note performers. Winners stay in their lanes from start to finish. Performers who listen to the judges and try to prove they can sing anything are the ones who go home.

• Smokey says:

I do agree that the Judges screw-up a contestants chances more often than they help their chances to win. They always want them to be “more vunerable” or “expand” or take-on some other facet of singing or performance. They killed many a contestant’s chances by baiting them to run way out of their natural lane in song choices and performance style. ……………………………………………………………………………………

Scotty McCreery and P squared ignored them and won partly because they did not take their advice.

• girl_3 says:

I’ll expand on this…it’s not just that P2, Scotty, et.al. refused to take any advice regarding switching things up, it’s coupled with the fact they were never critiqued as severely as others in their season. Casey J. was hammered for not switching things up much more than Lee was in Season 9. Of course Haley in Season 10. P2 was kind of an odd case because the judges liked a number of the others too. It just seems like unless the judges are aggressive in being negative, and I mean along the lines of Randy’s remarks to Haley after Earth Song, the guy who sticks to his guns wins. Clark will likely win this because Harry in particular won’t push him to be different like he does with some of the others.

• MAB says:

I think the producers may have favored PP in season 11 because he was more marketable but without a doubt the judges favored Joshua Ledet. Every performance was a standing ovation.

27. Jen mac says:

I would love to see Clark Quentin and Tyanna in top 3 those three are the only true singers. I like Nick I feel he will place 4th. As far as Joey and jax I like Joey much more. She is unique and does add something interesting to the competition. Jax on the other hand has done performances I’ve already heard on youtube, she’s not that unique. At times she tries to sound like Jena Irene(who I love) I don’t like the whispering or the affectations she sometimes uses. This only backs up that it’s fake. How do you sing like that one week and then change the following week. She sang beautiful disaster pretty but it sounded like 100’s of other covers on youtube already. That’s why I don’t think she should be in the top 3. Rayvon and Qaasim I think will be the next to go home

28. Angie_Overrated says:

Yay! The Voice coverage is back for real (and not the 90 seconds of afterthought version thereof)! Thanks, guys. I’m a little surprised Tonya was the top of the pack, but hey, I’ll buy that even though I don’t totally agree.

29. Jill Moy says:

Melinda Loves Tanya? She was Average! Mike says there’s power in Jax’s voice! Is he kidding! What power!

30. Jonathan jones says:

I thought Idol was great this week! I think Clarke is the front runner but don’t discount Jax… She may pull something that shocks us all! Love you Melinda!!! Loved performing with you at the benefit for the Nashville Rescue Mission A few years back w the Nashville Symphony! Haley Scarnato says hi! Muah!!😁😀😃

31. Eurydice says:

Michael, I don’t think even The Voice’s producers care all that much which coach wins. There isn’t nearly as much competitive chatter going on this season.

32. nich says:

The Voice has never been about which contestant wins. Otherwise they’d do a better post-show promo of the winner. It’s always about the coaches and their egos. Most people are only voting based on which coach they actually like the best which is why Blake has won the most. You can’t tell me every time he won that he had the best singer hands down in that competition. (I’m looking at you Cassadee Pope and Jermaine Paul). I’ve made my peace with it.

• Simon says:

It’s funny that you use those two Blake winners as examples, because I think even they are vocally much better than Danielle and Craig.

• Smokey says:

Cassadee, I think has a Platinum Album in “Wasting all these tears”, won CMT video of the year after it’s release and she has been on tour several times since winning. . . . .

but have not heard much about Jermaine Paul since he won.

• nich says:

It’s not about how much success she’s had after the show (in country only, not in the crossover market). It’s about was she the best singer that season? Not in my opinion. But she was on Team Blake and America loves themselves some Blake.

33. Tammy says:

I get it, you guys are all about American Idol. For once AI has some contestants worth talking about. But now that we are into the live rounds on The Voice, can we please devote a little more time to those contestants too. You will have less AI people to talk about each week so that should help.

• Smokey says:

The Voice for me, is Mia Z…. Sawyer,,, Brooke ,,(luv her but may get cut),,, Corey is good and like his performances,,,,,,,,, Joshua Davis (smooth and a pro),,, India Carney and DeAnna Johnson.

34. Lking says:

I just don’t feel it for Ravon or Clark. They are technically great but it’s like watching paint dry. I want to see Quentin and Jax in the Finale. Joey is a star but where she fits I to today’s music I have no idea.

• LeahKittyS says:

But maybe that’s the beauty of her. On the off chance that she wins (and it’s a far off chance, I know), she can add something to the contemporary charts that wasn’t there before. That’s mainly why I’m voting for her.

• Timmah says:

I agree. The people that succeed big in the music business generally don’t try to copy what someone else is doing, but rather blend their influences with their own style to create something that no one else can quite duplicate. I think that Joey has the potential to be one of those type of artists, more than anyone else on the show.

• Mary says:

With the right song and promotion I think she could have a hit. I like the fact that she is different, not generic like all the other pop singers today. For me her voice stands out, heck maybe she could help make jazz popular again with the young ones. I would love Quentin and Joey final but never in a million years would that happen. I agree about Ravon and Clark – nice voice but do not see either one making it big. I don’t even see Ravon making it in the top 5 probably going out 7th maybe 6 if Tyanna really is bad.

35. danin says:

I’m going to clear up the Quentin vs. Clark question once and for all. (and mind you they have been my faves all along) I read something about impressive writing vs. impactful writing last week. The person talking about this said he would much rather read impactful writing. I feel Clark is impressive and the “thing” about Quentin, vocal flaws and all, is that he has been impactful every week. So there ya go.

36. Chris C says:

I agree Joey was my number 1! She is so good and i think we got a comeback that was great!
    Jax is my 2. I’ve ALWAYS loved her. End of Story!
    Tyanna is my 3 I am praying for a Tyanna come back though because lately it’s just not been the best.
    Rayvon is my 4 Same thing that Tyanna needs, a come back.
    Quentin is my 5. He just sucks me in even if it’s not always the best.
    And Clark is my 6….. Even though he is technically better than Quentin he just bores me. I won’t listen to him when the show is over. So why listen to him now…. Sorry he’s technically probably the best but I am not fond of him. Never have been I would have rather have Savyon. I see why everyone likes him but I am not one of those people. He could actually go home now for all I care. I agree with Michael he deserved a B+ and actually I might give him a B. Oh well. Judge me. Hate me. He’s just not my favorite. Never has been. He’ll probably win and he should win because his voice is good but he’s just not my favorite.
    And number 7 is Quasim. Entertaining but not the best vocals.

37. Adrian says:

No No No… Michael… Clark is way better than Quentin… Sorry… Clark is an A- and Quentin is B. I understand where Quentin is coming from, but an American Idol winner needs to be a good vocalist!

• Mary says:

American Idol needs a winner that will maybe make it in the music world. Bragging rights if the show continues. It won’t be an easy task considering the music industry, but to be honest I am not so sure Clark fits that bill.

• MAB says:

The only one who totally fits that bill is Jax. She has the it factor. She has the makings of a pop star. That’s what Scott sees in her.

38. joey says:

Haley Reinhart with Postmodern Jukebox.

39. JoMarch says:

Thank you Michael and Melissa for articulating what I don’t like about The Voice. M & M were just saying they don’t care which judge wins, but I’ll go further and say that’s the total reason I am bored with the show and don’t watch it any loner I don’t care which judge wins, so I find the bickering over trying to get the contestant on their teams takes too much time. It’s like the show is all about the judges.

40. Nicole orrick says:

Joey cook sucks

41. rachel says:

I personally think clark will take it home. I think he would make a big change in music history

42. Getting sick of Jax. Too Gaga for my taste.

43. shawnuel says:

Face it….Slezak has a giant boner for Quentin. He can suck and Michael finds a way to give him a B+

44. Harry Wild says:

Yes! It going be Blake turn again to win The Voice! LOL! Adam will love it! Back to back!

45. Jill Moy says:

Someone mentioned if a singer had all 3 traits….singing voice, showmanship and looks, that would be the ultimate! Well, Adanna came close and stupid America got rid of her!

46. Vicky Enriquez says:

I’ve been patiently waiting for the next Reality Check to appear, but I can’t wait any longer. This week I felt last Wednesday/ April 8th Tyanna was the winner of the night. I felt her whole song, and she sang it beautifully. For me, Jax and Joey left the window a little bit open for others to go ahead of them. Clark and Nick are also right up there with Tyanna and Quenten is giving it all he’s got, so we’ll see.;)