Ratings: Grey's Hits Series Lows; Bones, Scandal and CBS Line-Up Slip

Grey's Anatomy Ratings Low

ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy on this conspicuously quiet Thursday drew 6.6 million total viewers and a 1.8 demo rating, down 20 and 18 percent week-to-week to hit series lows.

Scandal led out of that with 7.2 mil and a 2.1, down 11 and 9 percent to its lowest numbers since early Season 2.

American Crime closed ABC’s night with 4.7 mil/1.1, down 16 percent and two tenths.

Elsewhere….

FOX | Bones (4.7 mil/1.1) was down 19 percent and two tenths (to season lows/its lowest numbers in a while), while Backstrom (3.2 mil/0.8) dipped 11 percent and one tenth.

NBC | The Blacklist (7.5 mil/1.6) dropped a handful of eyeballs while steady in the demo. The Slap‘s finale (3.3 mil/0.7) was flat.

CBS | Big Bang Theory (13.4 mil/3.2) was down 17 and 27 percent, to its smallest audience since April 2012 and its lowest demo number since possibly Season 1. Odd Couple (8.7 mil/1.9) slipped 15 and 24 percent, while Mom (8.4 mil/2.0) and Elementary (7.4 mil/1.2) each ticked down in audience and two tenths in the demo.

Yeah, scary numbers all around. #EndTimes

1. Brian says:

Anyone that is watching Scandal right now can’t be surprised by the ratings drop. The show is overall pretty bad right now. Don’t get why the writers are so hung up on continuing on with the B613 spy crap.

• Come on…Scandal has been absolutely ridiculous since it premiered. The people who are still watching it have, for quite some time, accepted the fact that viewing the show requires every ounce of one’s ability to extend his/her disbelief. It is an exaggerated version of an exaggerated soap opera.

The low ratings ACROSS THE BOARD are due to Daylight’s Savings Time. This has been one of the most miserable winters on record. People have been cooped up in their homes for months. Ratings decline(fairly significantly) every year at about this time and I suspect that the declines will be even more drastic this year. I understand your problems with Scandal but I do not agree that the waning quality has anything to do with the decline…if lack of quality was an issue, the show wouldn’t have made it out of its second season.

2. a says:

what is going on with the ratings last night? is it the Easter run up? I am pretty shocked at TBBT, Grays and Scandal….I saw on twitter last night that some were having cable problems too but idk…color me confused.

3. wrstlgirl says:

I don’t know about anybody else but American Crime is boring as h*ll. I keep watching thinking something is bound to happen but snoozeville.

4. John Davis says:

American Crime 1.1
    The Flash 1.3

LOL

5. John Davis says:

TGIT isn’t the same without HTGAWM.

• herman1959 says:

Of course not!

• Babygate says:

Ratings for HTGAWM dropped significantly during over the course of it’s run. At the end it was coming in second to Scandal. It was still miles ahead of American Crime but no way of knowing where it would be right now.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

The Blacklist keeps getting better and better especially on Thursdays and last night’s episode was no expectation and that shocking ending (SPOILER ALERT). Blacklist won’t have a fresh episode until April 23rd. As for Scandal, it has gone from bad to worse in the second half of Season Four from the kidnapping to the B613 story line and Shonda and her writing staff are becoming more than just after thoughts.

7. Boiler says:

So what is up. Are people DVR’ing more this time of year. Scary to networks when all drop

• tvonetoone says:

Same day ratings are not accurate of how many people watch shows. More n more people dvr n catch up on weekends. Many catch shows on Hulu since they cut the ads down considerably. I havent watched a few TV show live in 15 years.

• John NYC says:

But since it’s not how many people watch the shows that number dorsn’t matter from the standpoint that does: the business standpoint. What the networks sell to the advertisers are the people that DO watch the show the night it broadcasts, live with the commercials.

Under the current business model that funds the whole thing anyway.

• Ginger Snap says:

Sorry, you’re out of touch with the times.

The networks are now focusing on the live+3, live+7, and even the live+30 numbers.

Google a story called The New TV Math.

The 18-49 demo has moved on to multiplatform viewing.

8. John NYC says:

“Yeah, scary numbers all around. #EndTimes”

Maybe end times for those preposterously long gaps in fresh episodes? Television is a habit, go long enough with other things and that habit get’s diminished.

• John NYC says:

So, yes, when I looked at my DVR and saw a Bones I was surprised… I’ll get to it, probably…

• thisismenow says:

In a perfect world, we’d have year round television. 40 episodes of our favorite shows to watch and cherish. With 6 weeks off in the summer and 6 weeks off in the winter.

• That would be horrible. There isn’t a group of writers working in TV who could create 40 quality episodes for any show. I’ve watched some fantastic 23 episode seasons of television but even they had a handful of unneeded arcs and could have been condensed by about 4 or 5 episodes. I would like year-round television but would rather that the networks broke their seasons into two parts. Fall/winter TV–air the entire seasons of all Fall shows(From September-February) and Spring/Summer TV(March-August)–air entire seasons of all shows(new ones not shown in the fall). I just couldn’t possibly tolerate 40 episodes of any show.

9. When they have a good show they should leave it on rather than taking it off for a week and then putting it back on…like they do with NCIS New Orleans…probably, in my opinion, their best show to date. They do the same with The Odd Couple, which hasn’t even had a chance to blossom yet, and which was hysterical this latest airing.

10. herman1959 says:

The low ratings across the board are no surprise. Here, on the east coast, the weather has broken and it’s staying light longer so demo-aged folks are hanging out and not rushing home to see TV. That said, the GA numbers are REALLY BAD…time to wrap it up Shonda?

• cyrano says:

Technically the whole cast has only one more season on contract and with the way its faring at the moment, season 12 mite be its last. Its getting better. People are weird.

• herman1959 says:

OK, so Shonda has another season to bring the show to a meaningful end if the writers start writing now.

11. cyrano says:

Well considering ALL shows on ALL networks slipped, I’m not so surprised really. Blacklist needs to move and they need to Push Greys back to Nine. Easter means more than MerDer. With Scandal, I’m pretty sure they are bringing an end to the B613 thing. Its ending people. Its almost over. Just be friggin patient.

• T.W.123 says:

Yes! Thank you! I get it everyone, we all hate B613. But anyone who’s watching the show can tell that Shonda’s (finally) wrapping that plot up. She can’t do it instantaneously- the plot has been going on for a season and a half! But it’s clear that we are rounding the last bend. A little patience never hurt anyone.

(Also, I know I might be in the minority. But I think the current season of Grey’s is her best since season 8’s plane crash. That said, I wouldn’t mind if next season was the last. I think she’s putting all the final chess pieces in place anyway.)

Last night was down across the board, while obviously some tweaks could be made, I don’t think it’s a complete referendum on Shondaland.

12. kn1231 says:

Usually some of these ratings would worry me, but it seems like it was a bad week all around. Greys went from the most watched show last Thursday to 6.6…. wow

13. zac says:

For a show with 11 seasons, Grey’sis still lucky to be pulling a 1.8 rating. I mean, look at Forever or The Slap or American Crime.

And can I just say, Scandal writers, don’t be afraid to kill Jake or Huck or maybe even Rosen.

14. tvonetoonez says:

Who has time to watch TV live, except sports. Dvr n Hulu. Next day ratings r so year 2000. Its not an accurate reflection of a show’s viewership.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

And yet, it doesn’t really matter what’s 100% “accurate” but what the advertisers are willing to pay for. People presumably skipping ads on the DVR have zero (0) value to them.

15. Babygate says:

For the first time ever, I didn’t watch Grey’s live last night. I had nothing to look forward to. MerDer are in this really weird place where Derek is pretending to be all McDreamy again while withholding the fact that he kissed another woman, Mer is acting extremely OOC, and knowing that the cop was cast as a possible love interest for Callie marks the end of Calzona in a way. And worst of all, Owen and Amelia which are the worst since George and Izzie. Owen is ruining Amelia for me. And Scandal has taken several wrong turns this season, perhaps the worst is the weird rift between Olivia and Fitz which was once the main attraction for the show.

• chris says:

DST aside, given Greys dropped twice as much as Scandal, I’d guess all the PR hype for Callie and the cop caused a ton of the Calzona fans away. Foolish for shows this far along to carve out a whole segment of their fan base and sink their ship.

16. LAwoman says:

It’s spring break for a lot of schools here and that’s when a lot of families take vacations. Might account for some of the overall low viewership.

17. Coal says:

20 plus episodes, close to nine months of viewing, people around bound to get bored at sometime, hence the lower ratings across the board. That is terrible for new shows because as a result of burn out of the older shows people aren’t very interested in them.

18. Tracey says:

The writing on Scandal is terrible.

19. Dan the critic says:

Backstrom has to move to a new day in order to save it. It has a very likeable group ensemble cast just like Forever, OUAT, Scorpion, Bates Motel, The 100, Shield, Sleepy Hollow, Turn, Orphan Black, The Following, and The Musketeers.

20. Tahina says:

Yes, I get ratings were low for whatever reason, but not too shabby for a 10 yr old show, just saying.

21. Grey's Fan says:

I’d point to the fact it’s Easter weekend and a lot of people probably started their holiday Thursday after work – travelling to get somewhere instead of sitting home watching TV.

22. kmw says:

Yes scary numbers for everyone. Bones didn’t really surprise me seeing that TBBT was back, but even that shows drop was stunning. Maybe people didn’t know TBBT was new. At least Blacklist was steady. Bad night for all

23. Paige says:

Put Booth and Brennan back together and the ratings will probably skyrocket.

• Diane says:

Amen to that, Paige!! I don’t understand – so many fans have expressed that very concern (NUMEROUS TIMES); the show is not good without Booth and Brennan together, and they still refuse to fix it!! Booth and Bones ARE the show, and this season has really sucked from the beginning – such a disappointment for a milestone season! I am not at all excited about the hiatus being over – same old thing as before!! It is not interesting at all when are two lead characters are never together! We are lucky to get two B&B scenes in each episode! To me; if the actors are tired of all of the screen time – they need to find another line of work; sorry to sound harsh, but it has killed the show and alienated many of the fans!

24. Ali says:

Regarding Grey’s Anatomy, I don’t even care about any of the characters any longer. Maybe Owen but the rest are so boring. I found myself wishing the hot cop whose leg was being fixed by Callie would take over and star in the show. I think it’s time to put this show out of it’s misery. And, MerDer are so incredibly self-absorbed and boring they need to both go.

25. DavidSask says:

Sandal has become a crap show this year, deserves its fall. If they don’t kill off Huck soon one of the most annoying characters in prime time it will be major mistake!

26. Tracey says:

In order to make Jake relevant Shonda has ruined OPA.

27. Ginger Snap says:

So when is TVLINE going to get with the times and stop focusing on the overnights?

Even the networks know the overnights don’t tell the whole story.

28. kendoll says:

I don’t know if these people commenting are fans or just horn blowers. They seem fixated on hoping certain shows fail. Ratings, ratings, ratings. Screw ratings, I’ll keep watching the shows I like regardless of ratings and silly prejudice opinions.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Exactly. That’s how I feel. Watch what you like to watch.

• John NYC says:

Though the future of a show’s renewal, which arguably is connected to ratings, has a potential relevance to how much a person might want to get invested in a show. Shows with long story arcs and short renewal prospects (renewal presumed to be st least in part influenced by ratings) might be less appealing: like starting a long novel where the last fifty pages might turn out to be missing? Of course some show constructions have episodes that are far more standalone than others so that issue will vary in impact.

29. kmw says:

The powers that be over at Bones, or FOX or for all we know David and Emily decided that less of Booth and Brennan and then a force fed marital crisis was the best way to keep interest in them. WRONG. I do not know what the real reasons are, but this is the first season you really cannot blame their schedule change for ratings woes and yes no matter their ratings I will watch, but your leading actors not leading a show anymore is not the way to do it. And I do know that the longer a show goes on, you are going to have writing staff changes but this really has been a disappointing season. As much as I liked their 200th episode, it didn’t have anything to do with Booth and Brennan in the present and most certainly was not a love letter to the fans. Right now I cannot even get excited about their new baby because they are making it sound so depressing. I do not want to watch Brennan cry for last 5 or 6 six episodes. Add into this that it may not get picked up and its no wonder some fans at least are not happy. You don’t need Booth and Brennan broken up to see chemistry between them, let them ACT together. They can have troubles between them without breaking them up. Whatever they were intending for this season, it has not turned out the way they think it has. Stephen Nathan thinks this been a great season NOT EVEN CLOSE.

30. HBH says:

Grey’s should have ended seasons ago. I feel like they keep dragging the show because it still has loyal viewership, but the story lines are terrible. I only watch it because i want to see it finish, but half the time it’s like i’m forcing myself to finish the episodes. just give up already.

31. ingreenmts says:

Greys with Gina Davis and Jessica Capshaw was great. You take away Gina, give Jessica one minute of screen time for each show, put Sara Ramirez with a guy with no chemistry, and you lose all the Calzona viewers. You can’t mess with one of the two most popular couples on the show and think it won’t sink. Stupid, Shonda, just stupid.