The Blacklist First Look: Is Tom Winning Liz Over — For a Second Time?

This Thursday’s episode of The Blacklist (NBC, 9/8c) is being advertised as the battle between Tom (the man who loves Liz Keen) and Red (the man who protects her).

But judging by these photos from the upcoming installment, Liz has already made her choice.

Even after Tom pulled a sneak attack on Liz — in her own home! — last week, she seems more than willing to help her ex escape his dangerous bosses in this week’s hour. Unless that affectionate hand on his face means something totally different.

Also featured in the snapshots: Ana de la Reguera (Eastbound & Down) as the latest Blacklister, a provocative frame-up artist who targets the wealthy elite. Oh, and Red looks disgruntled, but that’s not exactly new.

Browse the photo gallery below — or click HERE for direct access — for a first look at Thursday’s Blacklist, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Luis says:

He kills a guy, albeit an innocent one, to protect her, then he walks into to court to confess to keep her out of prison . . . women have gone back for less

2. wrstlgirl says:

I love Tom so I hope they don’t end his character. He keeps things interesting.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Really hope Tom Keen is going to make it towards Season Three and beyond. If Blacklist fans are going to complain about Ryan Eggold’s character, ignore the naysayers.

• Julie says:

I like Ryan Eggold and the Tom character but I don’t see how he stays on the show long term if they don’t get back together. There at least needs to be some regular interaction, even if it’s not romantic. Although I do love Diego Klattenoff’s character too and could see the possibility of Ressler/Keen at some point too. Torn…

• dman6015 says:

In real life, she’d be the stupidest person on the planet for getting back together with him. But since it’s fantasyland, anything stupid can actually happen, and probably will.

4. Joy says:

I like having Tom around, whether he is with Liz or not. It’s a long road to redemption for Tom Keen…hope he proves himself first before Liz takes him back. He’s definitely one of the more memorable characters on The Blacklist, hope he sticks around longer.

5. Lizo says:

I’m kinda really into the idea of Liz getting back with Tom. Her life is spinning out of control and there *is* a passion between them, so I think it would be really good, drama wise, for her to go there with him. And really, the more complicated Liz’s life gets, the better the show is hahaha. And I like Tom more now than I did when he was all “normal”.

6. bella says:

ohhh for crying out loud, enough with Tom Keen dragged storyline. just have Red kill him already or Liz for that matter and move on. i want to know more about Red, his lost familly, that xmas night of the fire and his reveal/connection to Liz, the Fulcrum, Cabal and all the rest. i ‘m not watching a Tom and Liz show.

• ee says:

Preach! I feel like the storylines this season are dragging ass and the charater of Tom is a great example of this. They need to move him out and get things rolling again.

• Hodan says:

This soo much! I am sick and tired of Tom and this thing with Lizzie. I want to know more about Red!

• herman1959 says:

Ditto.With Tom coming back, we seem to be going backwards. If the entire Liz/Red connection is not revealed by the season finale, I am through with The Blacklist.

7. johnhelvete says:

On the fence about Tom. He did try to kill Liz and lied to her for years, cant really accept that Liz would be willing to have any kind of relationship with the guy even if deep down she still has feelings for him. He also logically should not be on the show since his character served his purpose. However, Tom is really the only other remotely interesting regular character on the show besides Red and Liz (the rest of the supporting cast has never been developed all that much and only Henry Lennix registers but that is because he is a good actor) and the thought of Liz hooking up with Ressler is incredible unappealing.

8. Whatevah says:

I like Tom and I LOVE it when Red goes to the DMV!

9. prish says:

I see Red, Liz and Tom as a team. It is interesting in a big way to see it come together. (hope springs eternal with tv watchers)

10. davido says:

Ugh, enough of this gimmicky character redemption BS. If Liz accepts Tom back into her life, then that’s a major fail on the producers, who had yet again portrayed her as weak and giving into emotions. Psst, Lizzie…he’s a sociopathic killer for hire. Think with your head, sweetheart.

• Katherine215 says:

Ugh, thank you. Redemption of bad guys seems to be the “it” thing on TV these days and I’m over it. I like hating Tom and there’s nothing wrong with an unrepentant bad guy. I’d like better development of Ressler, Amir, and Samar than a poor Tom sorry line. And it would be nice to see Liz toughen up for a chance rather than the hang dog face she’s been wearing all season

• Sheila says:

Tom is a spy. He fell in love on the job. Red hired him. Tom is the second most interesting character on the show. No need for redemption. Red doesn’t need redemption either. I love this show!

11. Kat says:

I am a thirtysomething well-educated professional female and I love Tom Keen. I’ve got news for you if you preach Tom hate but like Red, you are a hypocrite. I never really cared about Tom until the last few episodes. Kudos to the writers and Ryan Eggold for his portrayal of this character who out of the blue has become one of the most interesting on the show. At this point the chemistry between Tom and Liz is electric. From what I see most people feel the same but there are a few people against this relationship either coming from a place of pro Ressler or because it’s “unhealthy”. I have some more news for you-this is a TV show. Specifically it’s a drama. Drama is interesting because of angst and tension. Tom and Liz make each other ridiculously more interesting. Bonus Tom makes Red more interesting too.

• ndixit says:

We like Red because he’s an interesting character. I don’t think anyone pretends that he’s a good guy. Just that he cares for Liz. Tom on the other hand tried to get Liz and everyone on the FBI team killed. He is an accomplice in Meera’s death since he gave Berlin the information about the team to have them killed, and he killed an innocent man this season. But they are trying to retcon him into being sympathetic. But that’s not even the problem. The problem is if Liz accepts him back, it just makes her look like a very weak characters.

• wrstlgirl says:

I like Red and for the most part find him interesting but I also find him extremely annoying a lot of the time. For me Tom brings some relief to that. I think Red and Tom play well together. I really could care less if Tom and Liz get back together again.

• SSAAA says:

Tom’s storyline is mess this season.The way they portray him is inconsistent.Even mak the main story arc contradicted.He’s totally different person from season 1.The writers are hard selling “he loves liz”.Ugh!don’t buy it at all.
      The guy who’s allowed to punch her in the face, wrestle her to the ground, handcuff her to the banister, use her as a human shield,hold a gun to her head.Are you OK with it? back together with him just makes Liz be a weaker and dumber female character and downgrade the characteriazation.

• Joy says:

Liz is not a victim, if Tom had fought with a man instead would you still be writing this in such a condescending manner. Liz is an FBI agent and can hold her own as we have seen time and time again.
        Being female does not automatically spell out victim & weak.

• Katherine215 says:

Tom isn’t interesting. He’s a murdering sociopath who scanned and conned Liz and is now “in love” with her in a desperate attempt to save his own butt. He was a heck of a lot more interesting as a bad guy than this creepy stalker. Also, “everyone on the internet says so” is probably not the best defense for him either.

• Katherine215 says:

And for the record, I’d like him if they kept him as a bad guy not this sympathetic character they’re trying to create. He was great last season, I loved hating him.

• KCC says:

I don’t think it’s Tom they hate and Red they like as people, it’s their relationships to Liz that people hate or like. Tom’s relationship is built on deceit and lies and Red’s is built on…we don’t really know but it appears to be from a place of protection and genuine affection or guilt of past deeds. While both characters are immoral sociopaths, it’s the way they treat Liz that people like/hate.

• Joy says:

I completely agree, this dynamic between Tom and Liz makes them more enjoyable to watch. Obviously Liz has not forgotten who Tom is and what he has done but the heart has a diff set of rules. It will be great to see her navigate between logic and what her heart wants. This does not make her weak, just human.
      I liked Ressler for a while but there’s nothing interesting to his character. Red and Tom are by far the most interesting characters of the shows right now

• And I have “some news [for] you.” The best dramas are ones the present viable, believable, real drama in an interesting way, drama and characterizations that don’t come from “out of the blue”. Who cares how much chemistry Tom and Liz share? The chemistry and relationship they share is based upon a lie of epic proportions, a deception that alone is unforgivable. He is a murderer…a cold-blooded killer. If you care for the character of Liz in any way, how could you possibly be rooting for a Tom/Liz reunion? If you don’t wish to apply real-world standards to this situation, kudos to you, but don’t try to undercut the opinions of the naysayers just because you have a thing for Ryan Eggold.

• Hodan says:

No one is claiming Red is a good guy. The difference between Tom and Red is really simple. Red is entertaining to watch and Tom is not. Simple.

• Sheila says:

I totally agree with Kat!!!

12. Kat says:

I’m not saying Liz does not have character issues which they are trying to work with. However how many times has Liz told Red that they are completely done? At least three or four? He killed her father! I just don’t see how there’s any question that red has done things far far worse than Tom but everyone seems to accept the fact that he cares about her. At this point both Tom and Reds motivations and backstory are not evident.
    Again I have no problem with red because this is not reality, it’s fiction. It just seems people take character hate a little too seriously. Was Liz being strong when she tied up and tortured Tom for four months? Was Liz being strong when she stabbed red in the neck with a pen in the second episode of season one? Innocent people have died because of Liz Tom and Red. All of these characters are written inconsistently and sociopathic at one point or the other. That’s all I’m saying.

• KCC says:

It appears to me the hate/Tom, like/Red scenario was set up by the creators of the show and it is the reaction they were intending to elicit from viewers. They introduced Red as an evil man, to be mistrusted and as the obvious villain. They introduced Tom as the loving and supportive husband and grade school teacher that was going to be Liz’s ally. They have shown both of those initial impressions to be patently false. Viewers are feeling betrayed by the Tom character so they hate him and the Red character has shown he has Liz’s safety at heart (for the most part) so they like him. As the main protagonist, the Liz character is the one most viewers identify with and they tend to react to other characters as they would if they were in Liz’s shoes. Certainly, in the real world I wouldn’t want to have anything to do with any of these characters (except Samar, he might be fun to hang with) but in the world of The Blacklist there is a fine line between the good guys and the bad guys and the characters each cross back and forth across that line. But like you say, it’s a TV show. I say let the haters hate, it’s part of watching TV dramas and participating in online comments sections.

• Sheila says:

Yes, Kat! Liz also shot Tom in the gut twice and tortured him for months. It is spy v spy. Twisted and compelling! I love the Blacklist! They need to get Ressler off the pills tho

13. Diva DIary says:

I think the big difference between Red and Tom is Tom lied to Liz from the beginning, but Red has never lied to Liz (he skirts around the subject but never lies). Even though she may not agree with the way Tom and Red do things, she can trust Red, but she can’t trust Tom.

14. Kristina says:

I like having Tom around, and I’m interested to see how their relationship develops now that all (or most) of the cards are on the table.

15. Deb Reeves says:

• Debs sister says:

gee..you gal have some big issues…Out of two episodes the biggest problem was that two women kissing?? hehehe..you are being ridiculously “stupid”…Get out sometimes and see the life,,yep, it is normal and does happening so deal with it…or yes, stop watching the show…or best leave the planet earth, because here is the truth girl..THIS IS LIFE! DEAL WITH IT! I love the show and will watch it until the end!

16. Deb Reeves says:

i have always liked & watched Blacklist. However, after watching tonight I think line was crossed. I do not and everyone I know do not like to see same sex “get it on” on TV or display openly. What they do “behind closed doors” is their business but please don’t display for everyone to have to accept as “normal” for everyone. I was a fan.. No more…I have never payed this before??

17. jesse1989 says:

Wow, just watched this tonight and *spoilers* how could they end the season like that? I was like no! nooo! noooooooo!!!!!! If he’s dead the show dies with him, but I already have the feeling he found some way around this. My question is how did they find him so fast, it was a surprise meetup with Liz in a location that wasn’t exact planned in advance, so they shouldn’t have had time to get to a vantage point, perhaps it will all be explained. The problem I have with all this is where he was hit is not an easy spot to survive, heart, lungs, especially, it looked like he got hit dead center.

18. Scrabblgal says:

I like Tom. Liz and him have have a lot more in common then they know. Tom I beleive will be the one to come to the resue to solve Red’s shooting. I think in season 3 he will become trustworty. I do hope they get back together.

19. Jesh says:

Please, let Tom and Liz be back together. That they’ll be couple until this drama ends. I love seeing them together. Don’t let Ryan Eggold be out on the series for this is the first tele-series I have got the opportunity of watching him act. I like him very much!

20. Jean Alica says:

I watch the show because of Red and Liz and the possibility of a family connection whoever twists and turns that produces.I am interested in the Alliance which I think will continue until season four because of what Alan Fitch said. I like Aram more than Tom. We are only just beginning to see how wise he can be about what is happening to all those good people. I like him with Sumar as they are both brilliant at what they do and rather the typical mirror image couple. I see a relationship with them but not marriage. I like the task force people but clearly I am in the minority I guess. I think it is time Ressler had a date rather than being just the standard tough guy. Some of us may think that the worst possible scenario has happened re the supposed Red Tom Liz connection. The Major said that Tom made a good boyfriend and young executive and that was where the money was. Hence once he had married Liz Red sent someone to seriously cut him because it was not what he paid for. It was what happened because of Berlin. I must say it is so nice to be here because TV line is one of the most positive sites for the Blacklist and we all seem respect each others point of view. I feel for poor Red.

21. Gaelle says:

If they are back together i think it will be good for the show!!! I love Tom!