Cougar Town Finale Recap: 'Deja View'

Cougar Town ended Tuesday a very different show than when it started, but not much different from the show it became.

In the Cul de Sac crew’s closing chapter, the worst birthday of Jules’ life eventually blessed her with the greatest gift of all.

RELATED Cougar Town: Your Fave Songs From All 6 Seasons With the Cul-de-Sac Crew

After Jules touted how great it would be to die and witness her own funeral — where everyone would speak candidly about the role she played in their lives — Grayson arranged for her to believe that all of her friends were leaving Gulfhaven behind for greener pastures, forcing them to share one seemingly final moment with their unofficial crew leader.

Before revealing that the events of her “worst birthday ever” were entirely artificial, Jules was led to believe that Andy and Ellie were moving away so Stan could attend a better school, and that Travis and Laurie were moving to South Carolina to franchise his Winebulance business. What’s more, Chick was moving out to spend the last of his days with made-up cousin Poodie, and Tom wouldn’t be allowed to stand at Jules’ window anymore after missing out on his anniversary with new girlfriend Mary.

She might not have witnessed her own funeral, but living out the potential demise of her tight-knit crew forced Jules Kiki Cobb to live out her absolute worst nightmare. When it was ultimately revealed to her that everyone was staying put, she relived the moments of that day, recognizing that each and every friend and family member had expressed to her the impact she made on their lives:

* Andy thanked his wife’s best friend for always making him feel special. Likewise, Tom thanked Jules for being the friend he never had, and for making him feel included. (This, of course, was after he expressed concern that he might would one day kill the entire crew!)

* Grayson thanked Jules for breaking down his walls, allowing him to eventually open up and become a part of her surrogate family. Similarly, Ellie thanked her best friend for teaching her how to express compassion for others.

* Via Skype, Bobby insisted that his ex-wife remained the best thing that ever happened to him, and vowed it was she who was responsible for making him a better man.

* Laurie thanked Jules for being the first person that ever believed in her, and Travis thanked his mother for always supporting his decisions. Chick thanked Jules for being a top-notch daughter.

cougar-town-final-title-card-croppedIn the end, everyone was staying put except for Travis and Laurie, who thanks to a generous loan from Chick and Grayson were able to put a downpayment on Grayson’s old house, making the entire Cul de Sac crew next-door neighbors. As Jules proclaimed, not much ever changes for adults of a certain age, and this family is likely to spend the rest of their days drinking wine whilst hanging out and doing nothing.

How lucky are they?!

What did you think of Cougar Town‘s series finale? Grade the episode below, then sound off in the comments section!

1. Ralph says:

Perfect finale to a great show! The Cul-de-sac Crew will be missed.

2. Ken says:

That was amazing! Better than expected and one of the best finales!

3. Hayes says:

I’m glad they were able to include Bobby in the finale.

4. Liza says:

I wish Bobby would have been there in person, but was glad he was included. I really missed him this season! This was a great, Feel-good show and I am grateful that TBS gave it a second chance!

5. fringe30 says:

This was a very good finale. I was worried considering how bad the last couple of seasons have been but this episode was really what Cougar Town as all about.

6. JK says:

Bill Lawrence can write an ending. He is 2 for 2 for tying a series up. So good.

7. edanderson13 says:

It was the perfect ending to what should have been a classic series. For all intents and purposes this felt like it could have been just a season finale, just another episode.

8. Dave says:

It was surprising how good it was. Cougar Town has really been awful the last 2 seasons, culminating in the strangest worst remake waste of an episode last week. I loved the first 4 seasons, but they really jumped the shark after Travis and Laurie got together. I was actually glad to see the series end, but this finale was so surprisingly good it makes me sad to see it go. Just wish they could go back and fix the mess over the last 2 years or block them from syndication.

• Ashley says:

Yeah I really didn’t enjoy last week’s episode. The whole meta “hey haven’t we done this before” would have been fine if a) it wasn’t the penultimate episode and b) it wasn’t already done on Scrubs.

Still, a nice finale that fits the tone of the show

• J.Norman says:

I think that having Grayson and Jules get married was the main jump the shark moment. The show lost momentum somehow after that.

9. aplwrites says:

Love how they flipped the finale on its head. Show finales tend to end in big changes that see the characters move on, typically away from each other into different eras of their lives (Like Bill’s Scrubs and Cox’s Friends).

• Tenney says:

That’s exactly what I loved about this finale too. Instead of the crew moving on or us seeing big changes in their lives, it was all about the crew saying: how we spent the last 6 years is what we’re going to keep doing – having fun, drinking wine, and being there for each other. I loved it.

10. Ram510 says:

I thought the finale was heartfelt but overrall just ok. For some reason it just didn’t grab me., but still a strong episode. I will truly miss this show, one of my all time favorites

11. Miffay says:

Awful to the end. How this stayed on for so long is beyond me. I guess there’s no accounting for taste.

• Thoroughbredofsin says:

You have the time and inclination to watch six full seasons of a show that you think is “awful”? Next time you come across a show you think is awful, stop watching it. You’ll have a more productive life.

• dman6015 says:

Well, there’s always one bad apple.

12. trainwreck says:

Is it crazy that Cougar Town ended on the same date HIMYM ended last year? co-incidence?

Well here goes the only sitcom i watched post-HIMYM.. that leaves VEEP which thankfully is starting this week.

I liked the finale.. and yes just the first promo of the show goes to show how much the show grew and transformed through the years. It was a feel-good show with amazing characters and it delivered!

13. rlj3 says:

I know the actor that played Bobby is on a new show but the Skype thing took me out of the episode. Wish he would have been there for real. Liked the series overall but this episode was flat for me.

14. dman6015 says:

I hadn’t watched it this season because it had gone downhill. However, the finale was a perfect ending for the show. No one left forever, no one died. Life just continues.

15. Annie says:

Perfect end to a feel-good show. I hope Jules got a new wine glass. :-) I like to think she’s searching vase shops now for the next Big __.

16. B says:

Bill lawrence show finales are some of my all time favourite, both scrubs and now cougar town were fantastic. I loved that bobby made a cameo and the ending felt true to the show

17. Erica says:

Sunshine State probably would have been a much better title

18. james taylor says:

And they all lived happily ever after. It ended like a fairy tale. Busy was right. The finale was perfect and worthy of a fond tear or two. Not since MASH will I miss a show so much.

19. meleliot says:

It made me cry they were all leaving Jules because I was leaving Sunshine State too, but then the big “surprise” just made me feel foolish. They get to stay together without me.

20. Paige C says:

This might go down as one of my favorite finales! Even though I recognized that everyone leaving was a birthday ruse, I still got pretty weepy-eyed for each “eulogy”. I”ll miss this little show!

21. kacey says:

I don’t know how this wasn’t 100% awesome on the poll! Best finale I have seen in forever, you guys did it all right!

22. YM says:

Loved the finale and how they made it seem like everyone was moving on per your typical series finale. I guess with so many shows ending this year, I liked how they kept the gang together and didn’t have any high concept time jumping hijinx.

Also, thanks to the flashback of the pilot trailer, was Jules Kiki Cobb wearing the same orange dress in the finale scene as in the pilot? If so, very nice touch!

23. Sylvia Krincklesach says:

It was a great finale because it wasn’t really a finale. It was more of an open ended finale that left the door open for an online reboot like (Community) or a spin off like (Girl Meets world). On the plus side nobody died and there really wasn’t an overwhelming feeling of loss.

24. Bev says:

Why r there no more re-runs I watched u every night at 10:00 make some more episodes u guys are too funny luv u