Trevor Noah Named New Daily Show Host, Succeeding Jon Stewart

The Daily Show With Trevor Noah

Breaking fake news: Comedian Trevor Noah has been named the new host of The Daily Show, replacing the departing Jon Stewart, Comedy Central confirmed early Monday.

The 31-year-old South Africa native ascends to the Daily Show throne after making only three appearances as a correspondent. His promotion comes six weeks after Stewart announced that he was stepping down later this year following a wildly successful 16-year run.

Noah, whose new gig was foreshadowed Friday by our sister site Variety, reacted to the news on Twitter:

In a statement, Stewart said he was “thrilled” for Noah, adding, “He’s a tremendous comic and talent that we’ve loved working with.”

Press PLAY below to watch Noah’s Daily Show debut from back in December, and then hit the comments with your thoughts on Comedy Central’s succession plan.

1. DJ Doena says:

Is this related to Jason Jones’ departure from the show or did he just seek new challenges?

• Semi-related. Samantha Bee and Jason Jones had seniority but some kind of deal with TBS to produce TV shows and such (Jason left already to star in one of the shows) so if them gone they essentially only had fresh faces to work with as Aasif Mandvi can’t really commit either.

2. WonderWaage says:

I will not be watching.

3. Interesting choice, but I think he’ll do okay.

4. CourtTV says:

Love Trevor Noah. His standup is funny and political.

5. Liza says:

Yay, what a great choice. I’m sure he’ll do an amazing job!

6. cool says:

holy molly!!!he deserves it.he is funny and very smart.so proud of him.

7. Dude says:

He seems like a good choice. Funny and his accent is awesome.

8. shaw says:

He’s funny I’ll watch

9. Poodlesharj says:

This is why “The Daily Show” should have ended.

10. Rain says:

I love Trevor Noah, guess I’m going to have to start watching The Daily Show!

11. Mary says:

I would have gone with Jessica williams! She is the funniest person on the show. This guy is cute but I never laugh at his segments. I will give him a chance but I dont love this choice.

12. CJ says:

I still vividly remember when he appeared on Chelsea Lately a few years ago – he left a strong impression. He is a talented, smart, funny guy and I think he’s a great choice.

13. Mr. Tran K says:

Comedy Central is the new black: Trevor Noah & Larry Wilmore.

14. Ray says:

Saw his HBO comedy special “African American.” The guy is a brilliant stand up comic. I’m sure he’ll do just fine.

15. cuius says:

They’ll desperately need 3 or 4 good correspondents – with this promotion and the departures, it only leaves Jessica Williams to hold the fort – the remainder are very weak

16. Tasneem says:

So happy my boy from south Africa is presenting u guys are gonna love him he’s awesome

• Erin says:

I watched one of his standup specials on Netflix this weekend. He’s very funny! I’m looking forward to see what he can do, just not too soon.

17. fiberlicious says:

I liked him. He’s almost as smart as Jon. It will be an entirely different show, but I think it could work.

18. Deena says:

Since he hasn’t been on the show too much I definitely want to check out his material to see what he’s like. Have to say I was surprised though. I had that sliver of hope that Aasif Mondvi would’ve taken over.

19. Tammy says:

So will The Daily Show stay focused on politics? Because this guy isn’t American so how knowledgeable can he be about American politics. I know the writers will still give him great material to work with. Just seems like an odd choice to me. Maybe the thought is no one can replace John so this is the rebound person until the find the right person to take over?

• David4 says:

Yeah because when John Oliver took over the show for a summer they didn’t talk about politics at all because he was British…

Oh wait…

• HAP says:

Unfortunately, there are numbers of viewers who believe that foreigners have no legitimacy to comment on American politics. I’ve seen comments posted on this site and others about John Oliver and his current show. I think it’s a product of the growing coarseness in our society. I can’t remember people saying such thing about David Frost.

• TV Gord says:

As a non-American, I can certainly attest that American politics certainly do affect the world, and we certainly have a right to voice our opinions. Imagine how frustrating it is when Americans elect an idiot to be the so-called “leader of the free world”, and the rest of us have to deal with him or her for four or eight years. I’m not referring to any leader in particular, but America has certainly foisted its share of idiots on the world in my lifetime.

• Sheila says:

But Oliver had been working at The Daily Show for years. Does the new guy know much about American politics? I should’ve researched first, but I don’t know how long he’s been in the country.

• saynay says:

One doesn’t need to be American to know something about American politics. If anything there are plenty of people abroad who know more about American politics than Americans do mostly because their lives depend on the bs happening here.

20. sramirez says:

How about Bassem Youssef?

21. Dennis says:

OMG he’s adorale. So cute.

22. LoveJoy says:

I’m glad it’s Trevor, he’s super funny and I will def tune in now!

23. Mags says:

Noah’s been a failure so far on The Daily Show. Why the heck did they pick him?