Scandal Recap: The Marrying Man — Plus, 'Sweet Baby' Returns

Scandal Cyrus Wedding

This week on ABC’s Scandal, Cyrus suddenly found himself quickly heading for a wedding, Sally Langston returned as a “bully” and Olivia gave Fitz a ring.

So, the return to frantic, “old school” OPA fixing took a back seat this week, in a quieter hour that was squarely focused on Cyrus’ long-gestating fauxgagement to rent boy Michael. The chief of staff’s fiance got caught carousing at Gentleman John’s, so spin was needed, to spare Cy disgrace.

Olivia’s fix: fast-track a “gay, Republican wedding,” held at no less than the White House — and hosted by Mellie, in what Olivia insists would be a savvy move for the aspiring politico.  Meanwhile, Huck and Quinn get Michael’s night of debauchery re-characterized as an “innocent bachelor party.”

Amid this crisis, we get flashbacks to several periods of Cyrus’ past, starting with his proposal to wife Janet (Shameless‘ Emily Bergl), back when he was merely running for comptroller. We then glimpse his wedding day, where moments before exchanging vows he’s fending off a groomsman’s aggressive invite to “play racquetball.” Then, some 16 years into marriage, we see Janet declare enough is enough and ask for a divorce — as she dares her wannabe congressman husband to “admit” he’s not gay, and she’ll “admit” she’s not having an affair.

Next, it’s Cyrus’ wedding day to James, who has jitters about the optics on an up-and-coming journo marrying the White House chief of staff. Cy assures James he’ll never have to compromise his principles… though as soon as honeymoon-time, we see Cyrus plant a story with James to ward off an attack on Fitz’s immigration reform plan.

But wait, Cy’s not the only one having flashbacks. We also see that on the day of his marriage to James, Olivia and Fitz had a heart-to-heart after she tendered her resignation, because, she explained, “I can’t see you every day,” feeling what she feels. Fitz gives Liv his grandmother’s ring, which is called a doux bébé — or “sweet baby” — and it’s the ring, you’ll recall, Liv left behind during her abduction and afterward shoved in a random vase.

Meanwhile in the present day, Sally — now the host of a Sunday morning news program — is a dog with a bone when it comes to exposing Cyrus’ fraudulent relationship, and to that end has booked a man Michael has been carrying on with. Liv sees Fitz (sans “sweet baby”) to get his sign-off on a deal to make Sally Secretary of State if she bails on her interview; but the former veep greatly prefers her new “bully pulpit,” where her voice can finally be heard. At a loss, Liv tells Cy the only play left is to throw Michael under the bus and cast Cyrus as a forlorn “broken heart.” Cy is fine with that despicable fix, until he sees how horrible Michael’s visiting, bribed-by-LizzieBear parents are to their son during dinner.

The next morning, Cyrus signals to Liv that there has been a change of plans, so she approaches Sally with proof (or “proof”?) that the late Daniel Douglas also was a (frequent) client of Michael’s. And yes, she’d smear the name of a dead man, since Sally is so rarin’ to ruin an alive one. Sally decides to cancel the booking, while Cyrus and Michael — following a conversation where Cyrus promises to do his best to be “someone” for Michael, who feels so alone in life — wed at the White House. There, Liv is again wearing the “sweet baby” ring, which Fitz notices.

What did you think of this week’s Cyrus-centric, Jake- and Rosen-free Scandal?

1. zac says:

Scandal is starting to get better again. Loved this episode.

• Adelele says:

Wholeheartedly agree with you.
      I liked this episode.
      At least 3 good episodes in a row for me or was that 4? well whatever… Scandal seems to be getting back to the basics. I welcome it

2. Kar says:

best episode in a long time, felt like real scandal.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Don’t know much about the “hunky” actor named Matthew Del Negro.

• Sara says:

Really? He is one of the most prolific guest actors around.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Millions of female viewers who watched Scandal can’t get enough of Matt Del Negro and his rock hard body. He should probably be on one of those Daytime soaps.

• Sara says:

Why should he be on Daytime soaps when he has had such a good and varied career as a guest actor on a variety of numerous shows? Personally, I think it is way past time for him to get a starring role on a good prime time show.

• tamekamullins says:

Wasn’t he on Mistresses as well? He looks familiar.

• Kat says:

HE was on Mistresses, playing Karen’s colleague and short-time boyfriend who left then to start over or such. He also was on NCIS LA and Chicago Fire or also on Witches of East End and Rizzoli and Isles, to name just a few :P

4. C. says:

Olivia has the weirdest recurring dreams ever. I don’t understand why blackmailing Sally over Daniel Douglas wasn’t the first fix. But mostly I don’t understand what this season is about. It just feels like random episodes. And some of them I’ve liked and other’s I haven’t. I would just like to know what are we getting to…

• stephanie kidd says:

i agree with you it does seem to have no real place it’s trying to go nothing seems resolved that’s why this season theme no looking back seem to not hold water. everyone seems to be looking back no one seems to be moving forward. maybe fitz he has been out of liv radar all season maybe the pay off is them ending the season on a good note which would be first in four years.

• Adelele says:

Aren’t dreams sometimes weird? Don’t you have weird dreams, yourself?

5. Alichat says:

Who would have thought that this would be the most honest marriage Cyrus has?? LOL! I loved the flashback to the ring, and seeing it finally explained. And I’m kinda freaked out about Jake next week.

• David4 says:

Yeah this was filler. A filler episode is fine but when the show is all filler it just comes off as lame. The solution was there any idiot knew how this would end.

The only decent storyline is Millie is running for Senate. I’d love to see more of that.

6. Yoki says:

Scandal has been so blah to me as of late. Note: only the father was nasty to Michael.

• AS says:

The mom wasn’t nice about it either. She was making comments about smiling so they’d get paid.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Correct; she was equally vile.

• Cheyenne says:

You had to ache for poor Michael. He really believes nobody cares if he lives or dies. His whoring himself out is probably a desperate attempt to convince himself he matters to somebody.

• Grace says:

Michael broke my heart in this episode. Completely. Am I the only one hoping that he and Cy do end up falling in love, and that they do end up having a good relationship because Cy is being honest with him?

• Carolyn says:

I love that episode …it brought tears to my eyes it made me respect Cryus once again….and I am glad Olivia got back on her game. I felt so sad for Michael I hope Cyrus does right by him……and all that whoring Was a poor attempt of him trying to find love my heart went out to Michael I hope you find some happiness especially after seeing his father…that was a hateful man…..

7. Darcel says:

This was the best episode in a long time. I started not to look at it because I have not liked this season, tired of B613. It was nice to finally have Olivia’s ring explained. I like episodes where Olitz are in them. Good to see Sally. No Jake, yippee…

• tamekamullins says:

I agree. I notice that a lot of fans don’t like these quieter episodes, but I’m a sucker for them. Getting the backstory through flashbacks is what makes this show sing. I loved the ring explanation. Also it was nice not to see Jake. The actor is lovely, I just never cared for the character.

8. Stacy says:

love the fact that Olivia’s feelings for Fitz are as strong as ever. She loves him. He loves her. The chemistry between these two is undeniable. They make the show.

9. AS says:

Didn’t Fitz call Olivia “Sweet Baby” earlier in their relationship? If so, that’s kind of weird that he was calling her the ring’s name before he was going to give it to her.

• Cheyenne says:

“Sweet Baby” was the name of the first episode in the first season.

• gs says:

Yeah, I think he did call her Sweet Baby before he gave her the ring. Because it the first episode, she’s so upset about him calling Amanda that, it made it seem like that was always his name for her, not just what he called her in the last couple of months when they weren’t even together.

• inresponse says:

You are incorrect. The first episode was titled “sweet baby”. If you look at the flash back, it took place in a distant past prior to the first episode and so it can safely be concluded that he started calling her that after he gave her the ring and not before. She has been wearing the ring since the first episode and the flash back was prior to that. Hope my attempt to clarify is helpful…

10. Brian says:

Weirdly, I enjoyed this episode. I like that we finally got the backstory on the ring and I really like the fact that Fitz is giving Olivia her space. I like that he isn’t saying much to her and it was her decision to put back on the ring. And I loved Mellie mimicking Olivia. That was funny. And a huge plus anytime we don’t have any of that B613 spy crap on the show.

11. Cheyenne says:

Does Olivia know that Sally killed Daniel Douglas and Cyrus covered it up? I forgot.

12. Carlos Alvarez says:

Matthew Del Negro portrayal of Michael broke my heart tonight. Such great acting you could feel how alone and lonely he felt and when he found out his parents were just there cause they were being paid was absolutely heartbreaking. Great episode tonight of Scandal.

13. Kim&Bey says:

Boring Episode…

14. Anna says:

Loved the episode! Cyrus is such an interesting (and messed up) character, so I loved seeing some further backstory. In the end, I really did feel sorry for Michael. Maybe those two can at least become friends? Also, I was very happy do see Cy’s daugther. I was beginning to think she doesn’t exist anymore.

15. Imzadi says:

Sally is an ingrate. Has she forgotten how the gang covered up her murder of her (gay) husband? Didn’t Cyrus and Janet have any kids during their 16-year marriage (remember, Janet is Catholic)? Nice to see Phantom Ella, however briefly. And why was Charlie in the credits if he wasn’t in the episode (he was in the preview of next week)? And Michael’s parents were absolutely horrible.

• herman1959 says:

Charlie was in the opening scene when everyone’s cellphone starting ring. He was in bed with Quinn when she woke up and answered hers.

16. This episode is why I love Scandal and the writers.
    Mellie and Liv together were really wonderful.
    I loved the scenes in flashback for Cy. To see the evolution of him through the years as America struggled with its horrible issues with gays and a hint to HIV/AIDS was very well done.
    Watching confident Michael be crushed by his parents and seeing how Cy saw it and understood on that level as only someone who had felt the same way could – wow.
    The scene with Liv and Fitz – their song, the ring, the meaning…. I admit it, I was crying. It hits a little too close to home for me.
    Michael’s broken admission that he was one of those people who had been dreaming of his wedding day his whole life… how many knew exactly what he was saying and meant.
    Cy’s speech to Michael… the unspoken “I can’t fall in your eyes because I am already at the bottom and you know that” was wonderful… and Cy saying that he would do his best to be Michael’s ‘someone’ – again, tears.

17. herman1959 says:

I agree with the majority here, I liked this episode because it brought back some of the original feeling of the early seasons, and we got to see Ella again. For the first time in a good while, I wasn’t looking at the clock while watching the show. But, I do have one issue: Leo really stepped over the line and he needs to go, but Abby gave him a pass…again.

18. David4 says:

Remember when Scandal was good and shocking. THIs was incredibly predictable. At least it was watchable unlike most of the season.

19. Joe says:

This episode was good for a change , I see next week jake is crazy again?

20. Adelele says:

Loved, loved this episode.
    Finally, Fitz and Olivia seems to be mending the fence. Hope there will be some boots knocking soon. Yes Olivia, put the darn ring back on and show the love of your life that you are down for him.
    Poor Michael
    Ugly wig
    Loved, loved, loved Sally.

21. kiwirevengefan says:

I enjoyed the episode but I didn’t get why Cyrus had to get married. As I saw it, he hates Micheal and Micheal doesn’t particularly like him either. Micheal not only has a hook up that gets caught on camera but has apparently been having an ongoing affair with another man (the one who was going to talk to Sally). So why oh why didn’t they just break up? Why did Olivia think the solution was to make them get married? It will never work.

Now Cyrus feels sorry for Micheal but that is not love and that is nothing to build a marriage on. Micheal will just keep looking for real love somewhere else and soon there will be another affair, another set of photos in the press, another scandal.

Why force two people who don’t really want to be together to get married? It would be different if they were already married. Like Fitz and Mellie, somethings married people stay together after the love is gone for other reasons, because it suits them to stay married. But to get married in that situation? I just don’t get Olivia’s big “fix” this week.

• Adelele says:

There are lots of stuff on Scandal that make no sense.
      Perhaps these two will grow to love each other. It has happened before. Some couples grow out of love. Some couples grow into love.

• Cheyenne says:

Go back to the beginning of this season, when Cyrus was caught in flagrante with Michael, which Elizabeth North set up to bring down the administration. COS caught with a male whore etc. etc. The media was going crazy. Cyrus was ready to resign. Olivia saved the day and his career by telling him to marry Michael because “America loves a romance” etc. it worked.

22. TAL says:

Reblogged this on Cerulean Chronicle and commented:
    Attention Gladiators! The following is a recap of Scandal 4.17 – “Put a Ring On It,” courtesy of TV Line: