Nashville: On the Record 2 Recap: The Gang's (Almost) All Here

Nashville Concert Special

Consider this a formal APB for Nashville‘s Connie Britton.

Because although the musical ABC series’ second On the Record special — which aired Wednesday — is great, it could be so much greater if our favorite redhead took part in the live music goodies in some fashion.*

In short: I want Rayna’s real-life counterpart on stage, y’all.

RELATED Nashville Spring Concert Tour Performers and Dates Announced

Aside from the lack of the fabulous Ms. Britton, the hour-long concert, filmed at Music City’s Grand Ole Opry, is a solid, satisfying treat for fans. And just like the first installment, On the Record 2 proves that the drama’s cast is full of really strong musicians who are in their element when playing to a crowd.

Instead of a regular recap, I’ve pulled together a bunch of photos from the evening — complete with commentary, of course. So click through the gallery below for a rundown of all the kinda-live special’s tunes, and make sure to come back next week when Season 3 starts its boot-scootin’ boogie toward the finale.

*According to a release for the special, Britton had a scheduling conflict that kept her from participating.

1. Wordsmith says:

The show makes Rayna look and sound like a superstar on the stage, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the same qualities might not carry over to a live-taped special.
    Don’t get me wrong, Connie Britton obviously has musical chops that give the editors something to work with, but not the same raw talent as many of her costars who perform in these live concerts.

• Kat says:

I was thinking the same thing….I thought that might be why she avoided doing it last year as well. I think she had a “scheduling conflict” then too. Last year I remember reading/seeing that Hayden was really worried about singing live but she did a great job.

• Andrea says:

I believe that last year’s reason was that she was sick, but I agree with others. On the actual show, Rayna has done duets with Deacon and Luke. I believe that’s so Charles and Will can support Connie’s singing voice. Ditto when she sings with the girls who play her daughters. When Rayna does have to sing alone, there’s the benefit of multiple takes and music producers to make the song the best it can be. I don’t think Connie has a horrible singing voice, but it’s not on the level of her co-stars. She’s able to sing well enough to get by with some help.

• Shira says:

I saw her perform last Saturday at 3rd and Lindsey in Nashville. She’s no superstar but she’s REALLY GOOD!! My suspicion is that she mostly has stage fright.

• ? says:

Yeah, I think that’s probably the case. She’s the best actor of the bunch, but not the best singer.

2. Victor Field says:

Yeah… “scheduling conflict.” Miss Panettiere had a real scheduling conflict called maternity leave.

3. Ray says:

It’s no secret Connie Britton does not have the strongest singing voice. She probably does not feel confident enough for a live session. However that neither detracts from my enjoyment of the live special nor Connie on the show.

• Wordsmith says:

Agreed. The show does great things with Rayna, and the fact that they have so many cast members who can also perform live is remarkable.

4. MA says:

That was great!!

5. five_by_five says:

I wasn’t going to watch it bc I can’t stand Rayna’s voice but now I will.
    And no old Lady, that kid is not to young for country. Every other girl that age listens to rap.

6. laura kimball says:

Will it be on a CD don’t have iTunes?

7. Since then he has bought all the situation to
    totally different people and each single one among these
    location has a bit completely different variation of authentic Juicy Burger.

8. RoadSinger says:

Connie Britton has an excellent voice and I missed her in last night’s program, as well as last year’s Nashville on Record. It also makes it feel like something is wrong, not just missing. I hope she will be there for Nashville on Record 3.

9. Liza says:

I agree with others – Connie sounds terrific on the show, but that is with the benefit of studio recordings. Singing live is a whole different ballgame!!!

10. BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA “For his sake, I hope that doesn’t include “moping about stuff that happened a decade ago” and “being really bad at coming up with band names.”

11. IreneChH2 says:

Kimberly you write such interesting recaps. I agree wholeheartedly with you that the show, as good as it was was not complete without Connie Britton aka Rayna. She’s a favorite. Gap is so noticeable when she, Country Music Queen is not there. Anyway, it was a good show put up by a very talented group. Just no Connie.

12. s.locy says:

Love nashville on the record 2. The fans deserved to have Rayna there.the fans pay her salary

13. Debbie Pelfrey says:

Why is Rena not here on the Nashville live shows ? Can she really sing?

14. Anna says:

Charles Esten and Deana Carter did a fabulous job, since Deana sang only so little of that song, maybe Connie could have done that much too? Maybe next time, would be great to see her with the rest of the cast, just for a few lines.

15. Margaret Dowd says:

Nashville on the Record was fantastic. I did wonder about Connie Britton, but I always thought she was a weak so didn’t miss her. Reba was great and the rest of the Nashville talent are just that, fantastic talent. I loved the show!

16. Helen says:

We love this show and the music. We want to buy the DVD of the hole live show. Where can we buy the ALBUM?