Exclusive

Bones Sneak Peek: The Team Honors Sweets' Milestone Birthday

Bones Season 10 Spoilers Video

It’s a sad day at the Jeffersonian on Thursday’s Bones (Fox, 8/7c) when the team remembers it’s the late Sweets’ B-day — and a pretty significant one on top of that.

In the following exclusive video, Hodgins is crushed to realize that his friend and colleague didn’t live to hit the big 3-0.

“But he made it to happy, and that’s pretty impressive, isn’t it?” Cam points out.

Bonus: We’ve also got an exclusive sneak peek from this week’s Backstrom (airing after Bones), in which the detective gets a “booty call” from his ex-fiancée, played by Scrubs‘ Sarah Chalke. (It’s possum he misunderstood her call for help.)

Press PLAY to watch the previews, then hit the comments with your thoughts on EP Hart Hanson’s Thursday night block.

1. welcome back bones says:

Love Bones…missed it so much…..this hiatus has been a killer

• Jan says:

At the end of tonight’s show, they did an “in memory of”. The info was small type and it didn’t stay on the screen very long. Who was the “in memory of”?

2. anon says:

BONES!! tho I am more interested in seeing how Booth & Brennan, esp Booth deal with Sweets birthday & his loss…I never thought Sweets & Hodgins to be particulary close, in many eps they had no interaction at all.

3. Sandy Camargo says:

If Sweets was so important to the show, why did they kill him off?

• anon says:

well, they kill off characters all the time right? people die, even in tv shows…..the actor JFD wanted to direct a movie even though he was a series regular, he wanted A LOT of time off, messing up upcoming storylines….moral of the story you cant be a hot shot movie director & be a series regular at the same time. IMO

4. kmw says:

Because John Francis Daley wanted to leave. Even though he didn’t interact with Hodgins often they all worked together in some way. I have missed Bones and glad is back

5. Mr. Tran K says:

Bones finally returns this week fresh off from their 200th episode.

6. John NYC says:

The gap this year was too large.

I went from missing the show to being indifferent and some pre-broadcast puffing isn’t changing that.

• A says:

and yet here you are still clicking and commenting on Bones articles, so not *that* indifferent ;) not being snarky, promise, just pointing out….Bones has had longer hiatus, S7 was off air for 6 months & had a 3 months hiatus too….Really not a fan of being off air for so long either but it’s back tomorrow, so I’m good with that.

• John NYC says:

Snark noted.

Which I’m okay with.

And there’s totally indifferent and there’s mostly indifferent. etc. right? I’m in the, let my TiVo record it and I’ll see when I can bother camp…

• 1mars says:

IA with John, the hiatus was too long, I cant even mind where we are in the story with the last ep being a stand alone “special ep” and surprisingly I do miss Sweets, tho I dont mind any significant interaction with him and Hodgins. Booth and Sweets were a good foil to each other.

• anon says:

oh c’mon, Bones isnt rocket science, its not *really* that hard to recall plot….Booth got out of jail, Sweets died, the team adjusted, Daisy had a baby & named him Seeley Lance, Bones 200th and here we are with the SPRING RETURN with 12 new eps :)

7. terrie says:

please keep Bones and Brennan happy together

8. A says:

Cyndi Lauper is guest starring in this Bones eps tomorrow, so any Cyndi fans outthere? this is your friendly reminder!!!! :)

9. kmw says:

Yes the gap was large this year, but that like almost everything else is because FOX doesn’t know how to schedule right. And yes back in season 7 they had similar gap because of Emily’s pregnancy. But if you like your show enough you will come back. Most of us still care about what happens to Booth and Brennan and at least this time we will not get interrupted the rest of the year

10. I remember when he started on the show and he was 23–in season 3, so he can’t possibly be turning 30.

• A says:

Season 3 was 2007-2008 and Sweets was 23 …. Season 10 is 2014-2015, so wouldn’t he be 30 now? Or is my math really bad? ;)

11. Yeah 7 more years makes him 30

12. arial2 says:

Backstrom is a great show which has the bad fortune to air opposite both The Blacklist and Scandal. I’d like to see it moved to a different time slot and given another chance instead of just cancelling it. The title character is a fascinating, complex, often hilarious, person. And who couldn’t love Dennis Haysbert as a cop who’s also a pastor?

13. Laura C says:

I think Hart (has no heart) & his group deserve a lashing for killing off Sweets. He was an integral part of the show and they could have given him his time off & brought him back. Daley wanted to come back but Hart said “this is what the fans would want.” WRONG!!! Bones has the longest time off, moved around pre-empts than any show I know. I wish they’d go back to the EARLY formula of episodic crime-fighting with the B & B & squints working together to solve the crime. I don’t mind SOME personal stuff but if I wanted to watch a soap, I’d watch General Hospital or something. Also, don’t make the Mentalist mistake of using serial killers that take forever to go away. I hate Pelant and hope he’s gone QUICKLY. That’s my rant. I LOVE Booth & Brennan, Angela & Hodgins, hope they (B&B) do more undercover work too. PS, You might tell Cam to dress more appropriately for work, or put on a lab coat. No person doing the work she does would dress that fancy.

14. kmw says:

While I have never been a huge fan of Sweets(he was ok the first couple of seasons), the producers evidently thought killing him off was the better of ideas they had. At first I didn’t mind it, but now it’s apparent they want him to be a plot point even in death for Booth, never mind that Booth’s “Pops” was way more important to him. Hanson and Nathan most certainly could have acknowledged Ralph Waite’s passing and have that affect Booth plus his prison time to make this gambling plot more plausible. I know Sweets was important to Booth, but I don’t believe he would feel any guiltier over his death than Vincent’s back in season 6. Oh well tomorrow should be a good episode

15. Diane says:

JFD wanted time off. That didn’t require character death. And to celebrate a milestone he didn’t even get to is ridiculous. Avalon sensing his spirit please! Season Ten has been terrible since the premiere. The cases were dull. B&B have zero spark left. And what is it with all the babies? Why even give Sweets a kid we will never see him with? Now B&B are having another kid. Nathans answer to crappy story arcs have a baby. Kill a character and Brennen conceives. Ugh! Aubrey is a sad poorly thought out character that can never be more than a pale substitute for Sweets. Why care about his bday now? Booth didn’t even care enuff last season to ask why no bday party as a kid.

16. karen says:

I am glad bones is back people will leave the show but they can come back as a brother lng lost

17. kmw says:

Yes I do agree at least now that they shouldn’t have killed Sweets what’s done is done. The people who worked with Sweets for 7 years will not just forget what he meant to them. Brennan had to be pregnant again it would have been too hard to hide Emily Deschanel