The X-Files: 16 Things We Need to See in Fox's 6-Episode Revival

The X Files Return

When Scully got abducted, we were there.

When Mulder got shot by a ghost, we were there.

When extraterrestrials gushed green goo, co-opted bee colonies and pretended to be a missing girl from the ’70s, we were there.

So of course we’re obsessed — like, Lone Gunmen-level obsessed — with the news that Fox is bringing back The X-Files for a six-episode revival sometime in the near future.

PHOTOS The X-Files: Our Favorite Spooky, Seminal Episodes

With the long-awaited continuation in mind, we’ve pulled together a list of several elements we’d like to see in those six episodes. From a bald ballbuster to Scully’s standard salutation, the gallery below is filled with our favorite X-Files hallmarks — but we want to hear what you’d like to see in the new episodes, too.

So click, reminisce and then hit the comments with your list of what series creator Chris Carter must include when we next encounter the FBI’s most unwanted.

1. Happy says:

I doatn remember the episode whjer Mudler was shot by a ghost. What season and episode was that?

2. RedReddington says:

Yes to all of these! Especially Skinner. I actually do want to see Doggett and Reyes though..I liked them..
    Mostly I don’t want 6 MOTW episodes. I want closure on the alien invasion that was supposed to happen in 2012.

3. Paolo says:

What happened on December 22, 2012 with aliens?

4. Azerty says:

I know it’s an iconic show but I have never watched it. Tvline should make a top 20 or a top 50 of the must see episodes before it gets back, that would be great ;)

• TVPeong says:

You should watch Season 4 Episode 2 – Home. It’s one of the more iconic episodes (and one of the grossest/scariest.

• Chris says:

That’s definetly one of the best of the series but I wouldn’t watch that as your first one, look up the myth DVDs they released like 10 years ago that’s what I did before the second movie came out, there’s between 14-16 episodes on each one and there were 4 different myths covered in them, I have since seen all the other episodes too multiple times for most of them.

• Sasha says:

If you have Netflix, get to watching! You’ve got time! Even seasons 8 and 9 to be a completionist.

• Sasha says:

And if you go to Previously TV and look up the forum, they have done extensive Top Lists. Uber fans, I tell ya!

• Winnie says:

Great idea, like what they did with Gilmore Girls before its Netflix streaming premiere. Have fun if you decide to watch! I didn’t watch during the run (save for being at a friend’s house and seeing one here and there). I actually watched it via Netflix 8 years ago. “Squeeze” and “Tooms” are early – and connected – favorites for me. Also “The Unusual Suspects” and most Krycek episodes. At least one good thing to come out of Dallas’ cancellation is Mitch Pileggi doesn’t have that particular conflict. Unless Ryan Murphy is trying to use him again… And I loved #10, TV Line.

#Ihopethesmokingmansinthisone

• Winnie says:

“Drive” featuring Bryan Cranston was directed by Vince Gilligan – I loved that episode pre-Breaking Bad, but if you need a bit of novelty as a push…

• Azerty says:

Wow thanks to all of you for so many advices! I know the best thing would be to watch every episodes but almost 200 episodes x 40 min that’s a lot. Might check the solutions you offered thx again.

• Steven says:

TV Line did make a list of the 20 best episodes back for the 20th anniversary 2 years ago. http://tvline.com/2013/09/10/the-x-files-20th-anniversary-series-best-episodes/ Or you can pick up the Mythology DVD sets so you can skip the stand alone episodes.

5. Ryan says:

Alien story line has to be there. Let’s just pretend the second movie didn’t happen….except to know what not to do.

6. Lysh says:

YES I love this list!

I want William info that could spin-off into a teen with weird unexplainable telekinetic powers discovering his parents/the truth/the X-Files type of TV show. But I especially want Skinner to be in there too. I wish they could do something about the Lone Gunman and make them not dead, but that might be asking for too much. And I want Darin Morgan to write an episode.

• Darin Morgan should write the whole thing!

• Sue says:

Hey! If they can bring back characters from the dead on “Days of Our Lives,” they can bring back The Lone Gunmen. It’s X-Files after all. Heck! They could have a running subplot about a conspiracy against Mulder/Scully. In Ep. 5, suggest that TLG deaths were a fake….and in Ep. 6, have Mulder/Scully find (or save) them. It just wouldn’t be the same w/o them!

7. ninamags says:

Yes to everything listed!!!!

OMG, really, really excited for this.

8. Drew says:

NO Sex! The relationship angle was horrible! It didn’t work in the series and it certainly didn’t work in the second movie! Eew! We need to forget that ever happened.
    Doggett and Reyes would be fine with good writing. Both are solid actors and good characters. They were just unfortunate enough to come in when the show was flopping.

9. Am I the only one out here that was never satisfied with the Samantha wrap up? It made no sense according to everything we were told the first 6 seasons.

I want to see what really happened!

10. What we NEED to see is how Mulder and Scully stopped the Alien Invasion of 2012!

11. Viv says:

Well, I don´t see a real difference between the phone sizes now and then….
    But yeah… all those things! And: closure on the 2012 thing…

12. Derek Evans says:

In season 9 there were new opening credits and Scully has ALREADY said, “Mulder, it’s me” this season….check her Twitter! ;-)

13. Lindsay says:

I really like the old, grainy theme song. It reminds me of photo/video “proof” of UFOs. It made me sad when they changed it in the last couple of seasons.

I like Doggett and Reyes and wouldn’t mind seeing them back for an episode or two (though probably unlikely now that Robert Patrick is on Scorpion), the only problem with them originally was that they only came in as Mulder and Scully replacements.

Baby William has been bothering me since I finished the series. His adoption was the most anticlimactic ending to a story arc that I can think of.

Also, that picture of the Flukeman made me jump.

14. Tatiana Carina says:

I like to discovery about what happens with William. How he is doing, how he is like, if he knows about the truth, and his foster parents?

15. Stevie says:

lone gunmen! i don’t know how but they have to pop up sometime.

• Lizo says:

Same with The Cigarette Smoking Man. Don’t care how, just do it. Lol.

• Chris says:

I’m curious to know if any of the season 10 comics will be used or if there being ignored and aren’t canon ? I really like them and have enjoyed reading them.

16. Lizo says:

All I ask that the mystery be related to aliens and conspiracies. The case of the last movie was a waste of time and pretty much just an episode of Criminal Minds. That’s not why I watch & love X-Files.
    And yesss, the theme song. It’s so perfectly creepy; keep it!!

17. Zita says:

BRING BACK THE LOAN GUNMAN

• sigh says:

Didn’t they die? Actually I would prefer that everything that happened from season 8 and on– including the deplorable, awful, terrible movie–was just a dream and we can pick things up from there!

18. I was far too young to watch The X-Files when they started, although I did get into it in the last few seasons, which is probably why I actually liked Doggett and Reyes. I have since watched the entire series on Netflix and I’m ecstatic that they’re coming back. I just hope that it is done well and not like that craptastic movie from 2008,

19. Jimmy says:

I want two things: 1.) to forget that terrible last movie exists; and 2.) aliens, aliens, aliens.

20. kajar says:

I actually liked Doggett & Reyes and would like to know what happened to them. But yes to all the rest, ‘specially William. And could we please wrap up the impending alien invasion storyline that’s about 3 yrs overdue now?

21. MD says:

Hopefully these 6 episodes are all about the alien invasion that should have already taken place.

22. Bark Star says:

More TV necrophilia !

Just keep it at six and dont try to make it a regular show again.

23. herman1959 says:

Allow me to go a little off topic and say that I hope Gillian Anderson changes her hair color back to red. I think the red hair helps to establish her character.

24. With “X-Files” and “Twin Peaks” coming back it´s like the 90s are here all over again. The ideal thing would be to have self contained episodes but at the same time reference from time to time certain aspects of continuity that fans of the original show can enjoy. The fact that both stars and creator Chris Carter are on board guarantees it will have the quality required to bring it back on air.

25. paul kraehenbuhl says:

Maybe there could be some episodes that spawn a storyline where Mulder and Scully are desperately trying to find the whereabouts of William as it turns out through a series of cases that William has been a multiple abductee..and in years passed William has become a kind of John Connor character in the underground abductee movement..Through his abductions William has regained his special abilities including new ones that have given him foresight of how to defeat the impending replicant invasion..however in revealing such information William believes that it will result in the premature deaths of billions of humans as well as destroy humanity’s natural evolution..Mulder and Scully are trying to reconnect and ‘save’ their son from being returned completely to the aliens whilst William’s internal struggle is playing God with humanity.

26. Mickey Booker says:

I like to see Mulder and Scully locate where William is living. Undercover of course. To see how he’s grown and dose he have a strange mind like Milder. Make Him part of an xfile.

27. Luis says:

William B. Davis is, thankfully, still with us, so I want me some Smokey!

28. Anya says:

How weird, unlike everyone I hated the alien conspiracy story! It was a huge mess and they had no idea on how to get out of it. And I loved the MOTW! Bad blood, Small potatoes, Syzygy, Home, Quagmire, Humbug, Our Town … I could go on forever.

29. Willyliangco says:

i actually like doggett and reyes. Season 9 has a bunch of good eps (release, 4d, sunshine days among others)

30. craig says:

Definitely the 3 Gun….oh wait…nevermind

• craig says:

Do you mean lone?? Come on self!! For sure just try to maintain that sinister/creepy/paranoid tone as before. There was a great humor element too- ex. “Jose Chung’s From Outer Space”-it would be cool to see that aspect…but above all…JUST MAKE IT COOL..im pulling for them and totally stoked!

31. Pia says:

Krycek!

Nice to see the Doggett/Reyes appreciation in the comments. If you just pretend that season is a different show, it’s fine.

32. XTrust_No1X says:

Mandatory X-Files start off with…Anasazi, The Blessing Way, Paper Clip, Home, Squeeze, Tooms, The Host, Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose, Pusher, Talitha Cumi, Irresistible …Those will get anybody who has never watched an X-Files episode started, although I didn’t think a person like that existed.

33. Lori says:

As I recall, Scully and Mulder’s child passed away from a disease – I believe they mentioned it when the two of them were laying in bed in the last movie discussing the drugs found in the arm of the FBI agent.

34. carl Massung says:

I have always been a fan of x files and love ( Anderson ) and am happy to read its coming back and with her is trouble happy

Cliff