Exclusive

First Look: TV Icon Dick Van Dyke Visits His Brother Jerry on The Middle

Fans of the legendary Dick Van Dyke will flip their ottoman when he guest-stars on ABC’s The Middle — and we’ve got your first look at his “reunion” with real-life brother Jerry.

The Middle Dick Van Dyke

In the sixth-year sitcom’s April 22 episode, “Two of a Kind,” the Hecks get caught in the middle of a long-standing family feud when Frankie’s Uncle Dutch (played by Dick Van Dyke, 89) contacts her dad, Tag (Jerry Van Dyke, 83), in a bid to bury the hatchet with his estranged younger brother.

As seen in the photo above, it appears that at least a bit of sibling revelry is on tap, as the Van Dykes engage in a rare on-camera collaboration.

Elsewhere in the episode: When a fearful Sue receives her first detention ever for being caught going off campus for lunch, she seeks advice from Axl on how to survive the ordeal unscathed.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

TRUE TV LEGEND

2. BrightLight says:

As if I couldn’t love this show anymore than I already do. Poor Sue, first her perfect attendance record is ruined and now her first detention in her senior year.

3. herman1959 says:

I’m marking my calendar because I usually forget to watch this show. This reminds of the great episodes when Jerry guested on the old Dick Van Dyke show; they have so much fun together.

4. T says:

The Middle is a great show. I’m looking forward to seeing both Dick and Jerry Van Dyke. Both are great (and sitting there in their pjs?). I was born and raised in Indy and have family roots in southern Indiana so some of this show hits a bit close to home. I am pretty sure I have almost the same crochet afghan that the Hecks have on their couch and I have personal experience with their shag carpet, the avacado colored refrigerator and mismatched washer and dryer. I have never met someone named Axl or Brick but I have to believe that their names refer to the car axles at the Brickyard (Indy 500). Sue Heck is a hoot! I hope the show sticks around.

• Travis says:

Actually I believe it was mentioned on the show and it is clearly hinted, though not specifically stated in the character bio on ABC.com that Axl is named after Axl Rose from Guns N’ Roses.

“Axl, the oldest son of Frankie and Mike Heck, was conceived during what might be remembered as the Guns N’ Roses period in the Heck household.”

5. Fyrkat says:

Been waiting for this. Will be tuning in for sure.

6. TD says:

ABC…please renew “The Middle” already!

7. ZisforZombie says:

I know DVD is older, but gosh, he looks way younger than JVD in the photo above! Love this show!

8. Kendall says:

Dick Van Dyke sure must live right. He looks and acts like he could live another 20 years without much trouble.

9. Terese says:

One of my favorite guys on one of my favorite shows!

10. Nancy says:

We really enjoy this show and this is a wonderful bonus! Can’t wait to see it~

11. lkh says:

‘flip their ottoman’–very good, big smile :)

12. donna says:

Love them love the show…

13. Mel Hall says:

woohoo! As a Danville, IL native (their hometown, too) I love every appearance they make – especially the ones they make together!

14. acurat says:

Nice surprise to see Dick Van Dyke and Jerry Van Dyke. Growing up and seeing repeats of them performing in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s was a lot of fun. Their energy, and particularly Dick’s on Mary Poppins, will give me memories forever. Glad to see them one more time, if only briefly. I doubt I will get many (if any) more chances to see them.

15. No more school referendums in Muskego says:

These two legends should host SNL. Looking forward to seeing them in April.

16. Shane says:

I enjoyed this show very much. Two iconic comedians and brothers to gather. It brought a year to my eye when they were singing. Thanks for this show.