Post Mortems

Chasing Life Post Mortem: EP Explains April's Answer, Leo's Future and More

Chasing Life Finale

Change was the name of the game on Monday’s Chasing Life finale, as April re-entered the hospital, made a life-altering decision about her career and received a shocking proposal from Leo.

Below, executive producer Patrick Sean Smith gives TVLine the inside scoop on the finale’s biggest twists, as well as a look at what’s still to come in Season 2.

TVLINE | Even though April’s situation is more dire than ever, this finale felt really hopeful. Was it important for you to maintain that balance?
We try to have that balance in all of our episodes, which is something I wish non-viewers knew about the show, so they wouldn’t be too scared to embark on a series about a life-threatening illness. It’s always about finding the hope when things are at their darkest, and it’s such a part of her character that it always feels organic to go to that place.

TVLINE | I will say I was surprised to see her give up on her job. What could that mean for her future?
As we’re looking at where April goes in the second season, this finale gave us a great jumping off point to change the game a little bit for her. She’s always been so close to shore, still seeing her normal life, but in Season 2, she’s setting out into the open waters to see how she might be able to live her life differently.

TVLINE | Obviously, I’m thrilled about the proposal. What was your thinking behind that development?
An element of the show we’re going to explore more in the second season is “all bets are off.” What a normal character would typically do on a traditional TV series is the opposite of what April Carver can do because of her cancer. So the idea of accepting a marriage proposal in the heat of the moment felt right to her, deciding she has to give up her career to see what happens next felt right for her.

TVLINE | I hate to even ask this, but should Scott Michael Foster’s pilot be ordered to series, what could that mean for April and Leo? Is that a conversation you’ve had?
We have a strong sense of their storyline in the second season and, timing-wise, with our production schedule …. Everything has aligned itself nicely so that Leo will still have a strong presence in the second season. But in the same way April feels like she’s living on borrowed time, I feel the same way about Scott. [Laughs] But he and I go way back, and he’s really fallen in love with this character and this show, and while he’s not a series regular to us, he has made a commitment to Leo and to the show on a personal level.

TVLINE | Are you able to say how much time passes between Seasons 1 and 2?
We don’t jump ahead in the way that we did the last time. I won’t be too specific, but I’ll say we don’t jump ahead four months past everything.

TVLINE | Moving on to George and Sara, things between them seem all good, but not so romantic. Where will they go from here?
“All good and not so romantic” yes, but we’ve set up this opportunity for George to be bicoastal, so we’ll expect to see him from time to time throughout the season. And we’ll revisit their romantic relationship; there’s still a lot left there to mine, including his new relationship with the woman in San Francisco and how they ended things before.

TVLINE | And then there’s Natalie. I don’t expect her and Dominic to double date with April and Leo, but what can we expect?
The proposal is something that definitely shakes up a lot of relationships in the second season. What’s starting with Natalie and Dominic is something that’s tested in this post-proposal world. But we also feel there’s a lot to mine in these sisters and the backstory of their father. Looking back at Season 1, Thomas Carver got off pretty easily for a guy who had two separate families. We explored that backstory in a way that we did with Natalie in the first season, but there’s a lot more that happened in Florida than we’ve even hinted that.

Chasing Life fans, your thoughts on the season finale? Hopes for Season 2? Drop ’em all in the comments section below.

1. Brittney says:

Chasing Life is By far the Best show on tv!! Can’t wait for season 2!!!

2. Elizabeth says:

I can’t remember the last time I cried so much during an episode of television! When Sarah saw April…

3. kate says:

I was good up until she walked in to talk to Natalie. And then I was crying for most of the rest of the episode. I’m sort of glad April quit (though the lawyer in me thought offer to sign a not suing agreement so they can lay you off and you still get unemployment and health insurance) basically because I’m newspapers are kind of dying themselves.

• CR says:

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who viewed April’s quitting in a pragmatic way. All I could think about where the benefits she just waived by quitting instead of getting fired. Also, I think I lost it around the time she told Natalie to take care of their sister and I never fully got it back. It’s feels bizarre to love an episode that made me cry this much but I give it an A+.

• Shannon says:

YES!!! I do love this show but I wish they would address the realities of how expensive/difficult it is to get insurance companies to cover cancer treatments. It may be my adult brain but I’m always thinking, do newspapers give great insurance coverage?? Now she has NO insurance coverage because she quit??

4. Ian says:

As flaky and narcissistic as Natalie is, there’s something to be said about the way she told April her bone marrow was hers, and that whole scene in general. It truly stung my eyes.
    And Im so happy to hear Scott has a personal commitment to the show. I thought it might have been something like that. The Italia/Scott chemistry must have taken them by surprise and then they had to run with it. Theyve done a remarkable job handling it, I feel. I dont think this show can always have a near-death escape for the main cast forever, so when Scott eventually has to leave, it has to be death, but at least let April have a baby first.

5. Kati says:

I’m very frustrated with this episode. How can someone quit her job and then the next day, start a month long visit in a hospital for chemo? Didn’t they ask her about her insurance? I understand April’s feelings of just live in the moment, but realistically, how does she plan to pay for these procedures?

• Ian says:

Her mother’s a therapist and her uncle’s an oncologist. Her father also probably had life insurance and savings. They’ll manage her medical bills.

• Shannon says:

It could cost millions. So no, that’s not exactly realistic.

• Nancy says:

You assume had life insurance. But not all people do. My father never did because he thought he would never die. Well he did, and now my mother is financially in trouble.

• Writermama says:

In one of the earlier episodes of Season 1, April says that her dad left her money when he died. Plus, she is marrying Leo, whose family has money. He won’t let her lack for anything. Between him, whatever her dad left her, her mom, and uncle, and who knows if they will have a benefit episode, I am sure they will work it out somehow.

6. sftvfiend says:

I loved the Wings shout out!

7. Brianne says:

What about any season 2 scoop on new kid Finn? It’s obvious that Brenna is Finn’s bone marrow donor. Even though he can’t find out who his donor is because of confidentiality reasons, will he and Brenna have more contact with each other than just in passing at a coffee cart?

• Lauren says:

I think with Greer gone, Finn will be Brenna’s new love interest. I really liked the actor who played Finn and I think it would be a really great storyline so I hope that’s where they take it.
      This episode was incredible, I was bawling all through This Woman’s Work. Really surprised that April said yes, I was expecting a ‘no’! I don’t understand why they don’t make Scott a regular? I don’t want a Chasing Life with no Leo! (I’ll still watch it because I love April and Brenna and Beth and the show so much, I just don’t want him to ever go)

8. Essie says:

Fantastic episode, so emotional. Can’t wait to see what’s coming.

9. LKE says:

Did anyone else catch the “Sandpipers Airline” reference during the finale? Can’t believe it wasn’t mentioned in the article above, but loved it!

10. Eva says:

The end where she broke down to her doctor made me bawl. I really hope Leo and April stay together! I really like them together!!

11. shaylin says:

When will the second season be…?!?!?!

12. Denise says:

I would love to see Jennie Garth on this show.

13. write2sleep says:

I had no idea Leo wouldn’t be a regular ! I hope that changes because I’m obsessed with the chemistry between Leo and April. I seriously have butterflies every time they’re together. Please keep them together !!

14. Nancy says:

She and Leo get married? I’m done. Sorry but these two getting married WILL lose them viewers and they can’t afford that.

• emily says:

ehm… no. most of the people watching chasing life like april and leo together so why would that happen?

• Nancy says:

How do you know that? because of a few people posting on a message board? The show has MILLIONS of fans. You don’t know what they all think. Are you psychic now? Yeah that is what I thought. And according to Italia?There are more and more Team Dapril fans since he stopped being a jerk. So you are wrong. Also I read a spoiler that makes me believe Leo is a goner. AND finally? The producer said he does not cater to fans. If he did? Leo would be full time not guest star. Scott has a new show coming out that films in Utah so the chances of him doing both are pretty slim to NONE.