Ratings: Glee Series Finale Ticks Up, Grimm Returns Steady, Dixie Flat

Glee Series Finale Ratings

Glee‘s two-hour swan song was heard by 2.6 million total viewers — up 30 percent week-to-week to deliver the Fox drama’s largest audience since April 8 — while averaging a 0.8 rating, ticking up to match its season high.

Because someone (or at least I) will wonder: Glee‘s official Season 1 launch drew 7.5 mil/3.5.

TVLine readers gave the series finale an average grade of “B+.”

Elsewhere on the night, as CBS’ NCAA tourney coverage averaged 3.8 mil and a 1.2:

NBC | Grimm returned to 4.9 mil and a 1.1, matching its month-ago tallies.

VIDEOS Hart of Dixie Finale Trailer: Zoe and Wade Welcome Their Son — and Say ‘I Do’?

THE CW | Hart of Dixie‘s penultimate episode (1.4 mil/0.4) added some eyeballs while flat in the demo.

ABC | Last Man Standing (7.1 mil/1.3) and Cristela (5.5 mil/1.0) each ticked up in audience and added a tenth in the demo, while Shark Tank (7.5 mil/1.8) was flat in the demo.

1. iHeart says:

well that’s a shame I kind of expected a big ratings jump for the glee finale. Oh well, at least no one will have to worry about it anymore

2. Eric7740 says:

I’m amazed Glee’s demo number didn’t improve for the finale. I know a lot of people gave up on the show long ago, but series finales always go up, due to the fact that people are curious how a show will end. I’m sure its DVR numbers will be better. Awesome finale for Glee!

3. GuessWhat says:

GLEE’s first show: 9.62 million
    GLEE’s 2nd season premiere: 12.45 million
    millions of fans jumped ship along the way
    wow

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yep, series high for a regular episode (S2E2) was 13.5 million; 26.8 mil for apres-Super Bowl.

• My guess would be that people lost interest once it became clear the show wouldn’t wrap up the way they expected it to, so they saw no point in continuing with it, instead opting to make up their own final episode in their heads.

I’ll miss it for the music. It be cool to have another show of this kind that offers similar covers of songs that in turns inspire one to seek out the originals.

• Vidalia Anion says:

I only stuck with it because I’m stubborn and often have a “I finish what I start” attitude about TV shows….once in a while a show comes along and I’m ok with dropping it. I ALMOST did that with Glee.
        Finale was ok…….the retconned flashback seemed like a waste of time to me, and the rushed finale hour could have included vet characters having a line or two, but its over now and that means I have an extra hour to exercise, or sew or anything but force myself to watch Glee. I will say that I’ll miss the music coming out on iTunes every tuesday. They get a D for their finale song choices….just my opinion.

• Tai says:

That was my feelings towards it. I was disappointed in the majority of these season’s episodes and I didn’t see a point in watching. I ended up watching the last fifteen or so minutes of the second hour and didn’t really enjoy what I saw. But I realized a long time ago that Glee was no longer the show I wanted it to be. Glad people enjoyed the ride. Sorry that I couldn’t be one of them.

• Jermey says:

People lost intrest because the show became terrible.

4. Boiler says:

May not matter in demo but unfortunately viewers likely on high side for HoD due to Bulls on in Chicago. Wish CW would announce its fate and get it over with. Still billing next week as season finale. But its not zombies or monsters or cartoons so its likely gone. Too bad

5. zac says:

I’m guessing people DVRd Glee or maybe watched it in some illegal way. Hd ending though. Loved the I Lived performance.

• riandyliu says:

Yes. I don’t care about the ratings, at least they get proper ending and sendoff.
      And yes Glee has been an international sensation so even though in US it’s been so far down the sink hole, outside US gleeks are still as loyal as ever. (At least I am!)

6. ttttt says:

Just my opinion, but I am guessing most of the fans found out about what was going to happen during the finale way before it aired. I mean we all knew ***SPOILER*** Rachel was gonna marry Jesse, the whole and stupid baby thing, klaine ending together…. I mean, even if you were interested on the other characters, most of them wrapped up their storylines 4 episodes ago and we all knew most of the original cast was only there to sing the final song. Myself included. I was a fan of the Unholy Trinity and I only tuned out when i knew something storyline wise was gonna happen to them. Yesterday, I only watched the last bit of the episode. Glee was meant to be great things then the writers took a trip to cukoo- let’s-please-the-crazy-fans-we-don’t-know-what-continuity-is-land and it all went to hell. Anyway, the cast was and has always being amazing.

• Laura B says:

I was a huuuuge glee fan since episode 1, but somewhere in the middle of season 3 I just stopped watching, the story lines were bad and it wasn’t worth it anymore. Since then I’ve watched an episode now and then. But when I heard about the finale, and how the first part was going to be set in 2009, and the second part set in the future. I felt like I should watch it, and it was sooo worth it! I loved It! I cried a lot. It gave all tha characters a proper ending, it was a really sweet way to end the series.

7. Belle says:

Gosh I figured the Glee Finale might hit 4-5 million viewers…bummer.

8. Ms Thing says:

Grimm has been quite consistent. As for Glee, apparently, those who used to watch the show and left, didn’t bother to revisit the Rachel and Kurt show.

• Fx says:

This! I noticed from Season 2 onwards, the show became all about Rachel, Kurt and Santana. Blame it on them!

• Tai says:

No I blame it all on Kurt and Rachel. I only got mildly interested again once Santana joined them. But even that wasn’t enough to hold my interest through the poor writing and unnecessary character arcs that never go anywhere.

9. Sam says:

Don’t worry Glee you’re not the only former ratings giant to go out on a low note this season(CSI)

10. SPAMMER says:

DELETED

11. The Kaibosh says:

Thank the heavens that wretched show is over.

12. Katherine215 says:

If Grimm follows through on this horribly stupid and predictable baby storyline, I am going to be so disappointed. The show has been fun and interesting, but this is the opposite of that. Soap opera 101.

• Patrick says:

I hope they “fix” Juliet, because her being a Hexenbeast (sp?) is dumb. There are hints that a lead character is leaving, and I think it is her. They haven’t really figured out what to do with her, and she may want to leave the show to do something else (she’ll have been on 100 eps on a show that is heading into syndication, so she’s done well financially). Shooting in Portland may be great for authenticity, but at some point it may start to grate on the actors.
      But yes, this baby and hexenbiest crud is a beast alright. And ugly beast.

• JC1 says:

Yeah, I was not happy about that. We just got done with a baby storyline and now we’re doing another one? My patience is starting to wear a little thin with Grimm (among other things, the glacial pace of the the Royals/Keys storyline), and the threat of breaking up Nick and Juliette isn’t helping either. :(

• Carla Krae says:

Adalind is pregnant because Clare is pregnant in real life.

• JC1 says:

I know Claire Coffee is pregnant, but seriously, they couldn’t have written Adalind out for awhile instead of giving us another Adalind baby storyline?

13. Anon says:

I would have watched if Cory had not died….but without him, the show was missing something.

14. ChicagoDan says:

At least Grimm survived the completely inappropriate timeslot. What is NBC thinking? Why not put it on after 2-hour Dateline or better after TBL – gotta do better than TS.

You never guess Glee had CW ratings based on the non-stop coverage week-in-week out. The Nielsen system may be flawed, but it’s not that off. Will enjoy coming here and not having a Glee story on the front page. Though I imagine we’ll be bombarded with post-Glee stuff. :)