Grey's Anatomy Recap: Get Real

What’s in a name? This week’s Grey’s Anatomy had the answer.

Though the episode was called “Don’t Dream It’s Over,” it seemed very much like it could be over for Meredith and Derek. For that matter, it looked ever unlikelier that Calzona would reunite or that Richard and Maggie would pose for a family portrait.

So were we wrong to hang our hopes on an optimistic title? Read on and find out!

ALL YOU CAN CHEAT? | After her disastrous call to Derek’s cell at the tail end of last week’s Grey’s, Mer told Alex and Maggie (who is proving to be pretty good comic relief) that the woman who answered “sounded happy and tall with a lot of great hair.” And ever since, Grey had just been leaving voice-mail messages with her “short, twisty, mad voice.” Alex and Maggie assured Mer that Derek wasn’t cheating, but as soon as she had the chance, she asked Callie if she’d had any clue that Arizona was stepping out. Later, Maggie came up with a million reasons why a strange woman would answer Derek’s phone, Alex noted that “if a guy still wants to do you, you’re solid,” and Callie tried out a “Team MerDer!” rallying cry. Nonetheless, Mer wasn’t sure that she could trust her husband not to start over on her the way he had Addison. Then, in the episode’s final seconds, Derek showed up at his and Mer’s doorstep ready to explain. And, judging from the scenes from next week, neither she nor we are gonna be happy about what he has to say!

FATAL ATTRACTION | After Callie’s Internet date was cut short by a page from trauma, the woman left the doc wanting more by saying goodbye with a lingering kiss… which Arizona just happened to see. Later, Callie was irritated that she felt the urge to apologize for kissing another woman. “Hey, Arizona kissed other women – and then some,” Mer noted (I’m paraphrasing, obviously), “while you were still married.” Later still, Arizona asked how long Callie had been seeing the woman, and Torres stood up for herself so forcefully that Robbins scarcely got a word in edgewise. In fact, “Godspeed” was about all she did get to say. “Go kiss everyone.” But at the hour’s end, Robbins finally admitted, “I wasn’t jealous, I was just worried” – she’d been out with that woman herself, and she was a total nutjob!

SUCKER PUNCH | After being decked by the old guy who drove into the home of a punk rocker and his pregnant wife – the aforementioned trauma – Maggie learned that the driver has Alzheimer’s (or it appeared that he did) and went on a tirade about how, if his missus couldn’t be a responsible caregiver, she shouldn’t be one at all. Ben tried to hush her up since she was ranting in front of Richard, but she didn’t get the message, so her father quietly disclosed that his wife had had the disease. Later, he confessed, “It wasn’t just my wife. Ellis had Alzheimer’s,” too. At that, Maggie exhaled in relief. She already knew that she was genetically predisposed to Alzheimer’s, she’d just been “worried it came from you.” All of which I think counts as father/daughter bonding, right? Really depressing father/daughter bonding.

BACK TO… WAIT, WHAT’S NORMAL? | Picking up right where last week’s episode left off, April – high off the call from the little girl who’d saved her mother – tried to seduce Jackson in a supply closet. Later, when he caught her tearing into a patient and pulled her back into a closet to discuss it, she took off her top and again became annoyed when he didn’t seize the opportunity to get it on. At the end of their shift, she found her husband waiting to take her home and lit into him for treating her like she’s fragile. “I just want to be myself again,” she yelled. And finally, he got it, so they had sex in a car.

IN OTHER NEWS… | Though Owen and Amelia’s tryst was interrupted by the buzzkill trauma page, they eventually reconnected and sweetly picked up where they left off… until they got beeped yet again! After the mother-to-be died, Arizona, Alex, Amelia and Bailey managed to deliver her baby. But the situation had been so intense and upsetting that Jo broke down. When Alex caught up with her, she asked how on earth doctors were supposed to handle so much tragedy? “It’s too freakin’ hard and sad and messed up,” she said. Only it was exactly that caring and empathy, Bailey noted, that was “gonna make [her] such an excellent doctor.” Finally, Stephanie continued to obsess over Mer’s streak until Grey tore her a new one… and then gave Edwards credit for saving the punk rocker herself.

So apparently, there’s not much in a name. Mer and Derek are obviously in trouble, and Calzona are really moving on. How are you handling it all? Hit the comments.

1. kn1231 says:

Anyone else want to punch Derek in his smug face. Cheating or not, he could have returned her call… but its TV show I guess returning a call isn’t that dramatic. Also, I don’t like how Callie said to Arizona that its none of her business who she is dating. While I agree that all the dirty details are not necessary, they do still have a child together and its nice to know the other parent isn’t dating crazy people (which is apparently what Callie was doing nonetheless haha). Back to wanting to punch Derek in the face, I feel like next week will only add to the rage I am holding inside.

• Francesca says:

I’m with you on the Derek punching. He’s been on my nerves all season but this is it. I heard a rumor that Shonda was killing off a major character. Maybe it’s him. Dempsey can go race full time and Meredith can finally be done with him. He doesn’t care about her anyway. He wanted the job more and he did his usual finding another woman crap.

• Sofia says:

Well it was just going to be someone killed off from shondaland and someone died already on HTGAWM, so greys is safer

• just my thoughts says:

Yes if Derek cheated he is a jerk!
      Glad they pointed out how online dating is filled with lunatics!
      Don’t criminals in jail have access to computers?
      Personally, I would prefer if every single show on TV didn’t have to have gay couples! Why are we promoting this to our young generation who are watching.
      I really don’t think that all these people experimenting with same sex would be so high if it wasn’t plastered everywhere. There is no way the percentage all of a sudden quadrupled for gay people. Being born actually Gay I mean.
      Not that there’s anything wrong with it, I just don’t understand why so many shows nowadays have gay or bisexuals on the shows?
      Know what I mean?

• rachel says:

Shut up. People are born gay. Seeing it on TV doesn’t make them gay, but it might help them realize how normal they are and how they are like everyone else. Quit being ignorant. Jesus wouldn’t like it.

• Carrie says:

Jesus would care for the ignorant. It’s the haters he would have disapproved of – specifically those that do it in his name. And its sad how fickle this one is about truth and fact. Every single show on TV does not promote gay couples. Its only the last few years where some shows have decided to represent real life instead of just catering to straight white conservatives.We’ve come a long way since June Cleaver. The world is diverse and people like Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy are willing to tell those stories. If people don’t like it there are literally thousands of other shows out there for them to watch. Suggest they Honey Boo Boo while the rest of us enjoy the juicy drama of diverse couples and Merder mayhem.

• Sims says:

“There is no way the percentage all of a sudden quadrupled for gay people.” – That’s right, it didn’t. It’s always been like that. Finally, however, television has caught up with real life and is starting to accurately portray the wonderfully diverse world we live in, well, at least Shondaland is!

• Liz says:

I’m hesitant to wade into this because having any type of meaningful discussion on the Internet is usually hazardous as people descend to personal attacks not two posts in. Let me start with the fact that I don’t agree with original posters comment about protecting the children or whatever. That being said it does feel like networks are working with a “diversity” checklist. It’s fine when it’s done well, and to me Grey’s diversity has always felt pretty natural. But there are times where it becomes a forced PSA moment where the enlightened people of Hollywood are out to educate the unwashed masses of middle America. That’s when it feels a little tiring.

• Julie says:

People do things behind closed doors and they always have. It’s more accepted now so we’re seeing it more in the open. Stop judging other people, it’s none of your business. Sweep around your own front door before you sweep around someone else’s. Know what I mean?

• Mehvash(recovering tv addict) says:

I can’t say i know what you mean…first of all why are children watching Grey’s anatomy? I don’t even watch it anymore, i’m certainly not letting my child watch it. People need to take a moment and realize that our world around us is more diverse than what television in the past and present tells us. It’s never been a clear reflection of society. We are of all shades and persuasion. Frankly i think that Grey’s has done a great job of showing diversity since the beginning. Hell for a while they even had an indian doctor. Watching a show is NOT going to make someone Gay, it’s opening people’s eyes to the fact that this is in the world around us. If for some reason you are watching a show with your child that has a couple that are of mixed race or gay or straight…it’s an opening to have a conversation with your child. turn off the tv and discuss it if they have questions. Television should not just be about zoning out. Use it as a tool. I used to mindlessly watch hours of televison before i was a parent, but now i watch a lot less and i don’t let my kid watch much TV at all, but when i do it’s PBS. I know that there will be a time that he will watch network television and when that happens we will watch it together and if he has questions about what’s happening we can have a conversation. The world would be a much better place if we all just took a moment and realized that we are all human beings and that connects everyone, gay straight bi asexual, black, white, brown…the outer package might look different but inside we all have similarities. I’ll get off my soap box now.

• Engineeress says:

I agree. Was there some law we didn’t know that passed that made all the tv shows be required to fill a “lgbt” quota? I know there are people out there like that, and that’s all well and good, but that percentage of the population is much less than what we see on tv.

• fiberlicious says:

There is something seriously wrong with you.

2. Al says:

This felt like a classic greys eps

3. Ellen says:

Callie did NOT stand up for herself. She cut Arizona off, like she’s always done. And THAT’S a big part of the reason they are no longer together

• JJM says:

Cutting someone off is a method of standing up for yourself. It’s about holding your ground and that’s exactly what Callie did.

• Ellen says:

She didn’t know what Arizona was going to say. Not listening is NOT standing up for yourself. And turns out all Arizona wanted, was to warn Callie. Well, look at that, huh. Callie jumps to conclutions instead of listening. Arizona should just let Callie date the psycho, she deserves it.

• Debstar says:

They are not together cause Arizona cheated on callie. she was too busy blaming Callie for everything. I for one is very happy that she didn’t stay with Arizona.

• Ellen says:

Callie had taken her back, apparently forgiven her for it. So no, it’s NOT because of the cheating. And she wasn’t blaming Callie for everything. That’s just what Callie thought, BC she cut her off all the time, and never really listened. People are very bad at reading between the lines.

• Babygate says:

Callie only took her back because she felt obligated to by her father’s intervention. But she was not ready and that’s why it didn’t work out. While she was mourning and processing the loss of her marriage Arizona was hopping in bed with an intern which speaks to her inability to take stock of her actions so she wasn’t ready to come back either.

• Ellen says:

Well, just like Callie is allowed to sleep with people now, Arizona was also allowed to sleep with Leah. They were over, Callie had kicked her out, and told people she was dead. People have different coping skills, Arizona chose to sleep with someone, Callie chose to drink. And btw, had Mark been alive, it wouldn’t have taken Callie long to be back in his bed, like she always did.

• Erin B says:

Arizona did blame Callie a lot of the time. She tried to justify her cheating with Dr. Lauren Homewrecker by blaming Callie for cutting off her leg. If Callie hadn’t authorized the amputation, she would have died. Arizona couldn’t get over that & treated Callie like garbage because of it. I hope Shonda does not put them back together. Arizona can go find someone as shallow as she is.

• Ellen says:

When are people going to understand that it WASN’T about the leg?! Arizona suffered from PTSD, she got her whole life turned upside down. No wonder she was angry! So she took it out on her wife, even if Callie wasn’t to blame (of course she wasn’t). That’s what a lot of people with PTSD does, they take the anger out on the ones they love the most, because they know they can take it. The writers did research on it, and wanted to show a realistic SL. They wanted to show how PTSD can totally change a person. I believe Callie knew that it wasn’t the real Arizona talking, and that’s why she took it. Life isn’t black and white. And people need to learn how to read between the lines. As for the cheating; part of it was bc Arizona was still in a dark place, and part of it was because her wife looked at her like she was damaged. That she was something that needed to be fixed. And then this woman shows up, who clearly is very attracted to her even if she knew about the amputation. And yes, I know that Callie wanted her too, but she was pushing Arizona, and whining about not getting sex, when Arizona clearly wasn’t ready. So no, it’s not just Arizona’s fault, they are both to blame.

4. Sara says:

Loved Jackson and April!

5. RG says:

Does Shonda& the Grey’s Anatomy writing staff know it’s okay to not have a cheating story line?

• Anna says:

I know, they have managed to destroy most relationships in this show by cheating. Derek and Meredith are the last ones standing. I seriously hope they do not go ahead with the cheating story line for Merder. It’s ok to put their marriage on the rocks because
      most couples go through those but seriously – Derek knows what it felt like to be cheated
      on by Addison. He could not forgive Addison. If he cheats on Meredith, I don’t know if
      Meredith can forgive him. That might destroy them. And wait, it was Derek who’s been really at fault here. He broke his promise to Meredith to take a step back, he resented her
      for taking stand at not going to DC with him. He was criticized her every action, faulted her for little things like forgetting Zola’s coat. Meredith had enough sense to let him go to DC so they can sort this out, so he wouldn’t resent her but what does he do? Flirt or very possibly cheat with another resident. Come on, please do not assassinate Derek’s character by turning him into a cheater who turned his back on his family. I have personally been with this show since day 1, mainly because of Merder and Cristina, and Bailey, Alex, and the Chief. I’m just saying, don’t rip this couple a part by reason of cheating as you have done with Calzona and Owen and Cristina. Please writers.

• just my thoughts says:

They need to keep Derek! There are far too many women now taking over the show, they need to even that out!
        And yeah… what’s so wrong with having awesome relationships on the show? there doesn’t always have to be cheating andd flirting.

Set a good example for the young people watching the show. Just like some of the comments here tonight. So many people are so angry they say things as though it’s real life.
        Remember people. Don’t punch Derek, he is only playing a character on TV.
        ;)

• DarkDefender says:

I am pretty sure the “Derek could be cheating” is a red herring. The girl came on to him (it’s clear from the previews for next week), but I suspect he did not kiss her, but was attracted to her and immediately flew back to Meredith to tell her they need to fix what’s broke because if they don’t it will be over.
        On a side note: Maggie never got her head checked by Amelia (or did I see that wrong).. Her little dizzy spells I think are gonna lead to some drama later in the season or the finale. I really like her and hope they don’t kill her off.

6. tahimar says:

I think I like Callie and Arizona as bffs’ or maybe this is what Shonda mastermind wants us to believe.

• Alicia says:

Well it sounded like the story she was telling about the woman is from before they were together so I don’t think they are trying to make us believe they are best friends just that Callie got a kick out of the story. However if they became close friends that would be okay especially since they work and have a child together.

7. JJM says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t think Jo is capable of being a doctor? Ever since her first episode, she’s just been highly stressed and emotional. I think her character improved identity wise, but as a surgeon, I’m no longer buying it. I had more faith in Leah as a surgeon (still can’t work out why they wrote her character out for that reason) even though her personality was blah. This character needs serious improvement (career wise) and I wouldn’t take advice from Bailey, who’s moral compass has spun in every direction these past 3 seasons.

• Andie says:

Speaking as someone who has been in the medical field for some time now, its people like her that do in fact make the best doctors. Compassion and empathy is something rarely seen in medical doctors, and although it takes much longer to break through these residents, they end up making the best physicians. It is something you rarely see. Compassion and empathy is something that comes from having suffered and living an uneasy lifestyle. When patients are suffering, having a physician who understands is more meaningful than anything else. It is something many professional programs try to instill in their students as well as residents – therefore you have no idea what your saying.

• Normandy says:

I don’t understand how Jo didn’t even consider saving the unborn baby as an option. That was the first thing on my mind before the mother had died. But it’s not easy to write consistently for characters when there’s far too many of them and they often get screwed on storyline and screen time.

• Sofia says:

Well Jo was also in a high stress situation that she hadn’t dealt with before, she probably blanked. I don’t think it makes her a bad doctor, she’s just still learning how to deal with stress

• Kelly says:

I don’t really think it should have been Jo’s decision to save baby with Arizona right there she should have known. I know I was thinking back to season 2 or 3 when Addison told Alex a baby can survive for up to 5 minutes after the mother has died.

• Cyndi says:

That’s exactly what was going through my mind. I thought it was 4 minutes, but I was definitely chanting in my head that they only had a few minutes and needed to get in action.

8. cyrano says:

Before watching the ep, I knew that they were gonna do this. Have Mer obsess and ONLY at the end bring Derek back. Its predictable Drama and Plot. Shonda could have done better. Sloppy. Oh well. I still love Greys.

9. As in these sorts of dresses woman looks wonderful and give an alternate
    look, as these are dated wedding dresses. Planning your wedding is connected to
    a lot of hard work and even a bit of chaos.

You can start with a simple flat invitation and add embellishments in springtime colors tto invoke springtime.

10. trainwreck says:

despite all the tragedy regarding patients / cheating possibility worries, I kinda liked the episode. I am feeling Grey’s is bringing back a balance between medical cases and the emotional dramatics now… a thing for which earlier seasons were commended for.

– Liked the final scene between Callie and Az… they can be civil friendly exes.. we all do have some!

– I kinda like mean April

– Pearce – still annoying!

– MerDer better not be over!

– Poor Owen & Amelia ( is there a fandom name already? Owelia or Amelien?

PS: Give Karev a major storyline already!! I like Jolex but the guy needs some good material (#BringIzzieBackToSpiceThingsUp )

11. Jared says:

I think Jackson and April are in trouble it looks like she is not fully grieving. And did anyone else think she was just trying to get pregnant again? I don’t think Derek cheated but he is definitely guilty of something, you can read it on his face. I like Callie and Arizona as friends but I think they are going to get back together by the end of the season. Did anyone else think Jo was going to want to adopt that baby had the father died. I would love to see Jo and Alex as parents. All in all pretty good episode

• Andie says:

Absolutely agree! I thought they may have adopted the baby considering her past. Who knows what will happen next episode… #Jolexasparents

• maria says:

I think it will lead to something tho with Derek he has a baby now with Addison he only had her n their LA friends now he has a whole family ..it would be devastating as a fan to see the story line go that way.

12. As in these sorts of dresses woman looks wonderful and give ann alternate look, as these are
    dated weddijng dresses. It gives a soft,
    romantic loiok that perfect for wedding photography. The local stores allow
    yyou tto try a variety of styles, bfore selecting the right wedding dress.

13. Alichat says:

I really wish they’d not done this ‘is he cheating’ storyline. I like the show without Derek, so frankly, he could have stayed in DC and have them do Facetime calls and that would be all the MerDer we had to deal with. Two things about the scene where the pregnant woman dies……one, I thought we were going to have some moment where they determined that she wasn’t flatlining, but that her fingertip sensor had fallen off. At one point when they were rolling her onto her back, I thought I’d seen her sensor come off. Second, I thought Jo had gotten emotional and freaked out because we were going to find out she’s pregnant.

14. Callie says:

1. jo crying – really bad acting in that moment. Normally I think she’s good but that was almost laughable.
    2. Please stop the Owen/Amelia relationship. I do NOT like them together and everything between them is awkward.
    3. Remember when Callie and Erica Hahn first hooked up and Callie was all – I like men AND Women? Yeah – put her with Owen .

15. Babygate says:

I really liked this episode for the most part. The tunnel thing is cute but it is no MAGIC. Callie is great. Mer is great. But together they are not great. Callie and Maggie or Mer and Maggie works great. Alex is sucha grouch that he’s best as a background player. Mer touching Maggie’s face out of concern was cute. I like their relationship. I’m ok with Derek struggling because it makes for an interesting story and he is such a jerk that I can totally believe it. Loved Callie in this episode and loved that Mer reminded her that she has a right to move on after what Arizona put her through. The kitchen knife thing was hilarious. Callie kissing this woman was hot and it just proves once again that she and Arizona have zero sexual chemistry compared to every other partner Callie has had.. And their final elevator scenes shows that they are really better off as friends. Every time Owen attacks a woman in that caveman fashion it makes my skin crawl. Poor Amelia. Run, run far away. You can do much better than standing in Cristina’s shadow.

16. maria says:

No not Derek I love him.. He would be dumb to cheat .. Its finally comming to an end with his character 😢 if anyone knows he’s going full time with racing. Hopefully he signs a new contract with greys.

17. ? says:

Didn’t Sarah Drew have a baby like, just a few weeks ago? She looked awesome in that bra for such a recent mother, wow.

18. just my thoughts says:

Is April trying to get pregnant again perhaps? If it’s only been two months, and a Mother died in the hospital today and they managed to save her baby.
    Every one else in the Entire hospital (show) knew about this tragedy, yet these two are having sex?
    And Owen was trying to have sex. I couldn’t sleep with someone surrounded by all that tragedy. Especially if I Just had my newborn baby die.
    Other than a ‘hint’ of a mention, which put April ‘not in the mood’ pfft.
    It’s like it never happened. People don’t just shut off their emotions like that.
    I didn’t like that part of tonights show.
    If anybody else is going through something similar or Have in the past, I would think that would seem cold?

• it's life says:

Um, no when you experience tragedy like that you need to know that life goes on. Not dwelling on it like April is trying to do and Jackson is staying in that moment. I don’t think she wanted another baby she just wanted to remember who she was as a woman before this loss. You can feel crazy sitting around and being treated like glass after a while.

19. betty basey says:

calzona needs to get back together!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will watch to the end of season11 and if they are not back together i’m done ! These two are so cute together ,and they make the dark parts alittle easyer to watch. PLEASE.PLEASE GET THEM BACK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks

• Sa says:

Calzona needs to get back together! ASAP they’re becoming friend and I like it, hopefully this will lead them back together because I can’t see them as just friends. That elevator scene reminded my about when they first met.

20. Josh says:

The girl that Derek is with in the previews in Dr. Jeanne Benoit from NCIS. she was the one Tony dated who was the daughter of “the frog” arms dealer earlier in the series.

21. jph_gsg says:

I’ve enjoyed this show so much more since the winter premiere. Not having so much focus on the constant drama and fighting with Meredith/Derek and Arizona/Callie was such a refreshing change. And I’ve loved seeing Meredith flying solo and being so awesome. But I guess all good things must come to an end, and the never ending relationship drama is back to completely overshadow the rest of the characters and any other potential plot lines.

22. Pat says:

I was so mad, when I saw the promos for next weeks show. It seems like Derrick could be cheating? If this is the road that the show is going down with this storyline I am really upset! Meredith explaining that Derrick has done this before was wrong. His first wife cheated on him and he left her. Also, there are two children involved, so I would hope that Derrick would remember this. I will wait until next week to see what is going on but maybe, just maybe that other woman is pursuing him and he is not interested in her. Oh, I sure hope so!

23. Kristen says:

I am actually really starting to like Owen and Amelia! They are so cute together. I also can’t wait to see Derek’s reaction to those two being together. Now that is going to be hilarious!

24. N says:

Sad episode again!

25. Maxsmom says:

I thought Owen and Callie were getting together this season and I am disappointed that Amelia seems to be the one getting my Journeyman. I have always thought Meredith and Derek were the medicine that I had to take in order to get the sugar of the rest of the show and I still feel that way.

In 10 years there have been dud arcs, storylines, and characters but Grey’s seems to recognize when something isn’t working and move on quicker than most.

I really like Pierce, April, and Jackson. Callie is my new number 1. I like this season and I didn’t think I would because Christina was my person too.

26. Derek could have called her cheating or not. Derek and Mere have been together for so many seasons. I understand drama is needed but break up a beautiful family. I just don’t think we need this kind of drama it just sends a bad message that relationships can’t last through a situation like this. They obviously need help but I would be an upset if they broke them up. Meredith and Dr dreamy was why I was drawn to the shown. Why break what works?