Ratings: Empire Ends Season With a Bang, 16.7 Million Viewers; Arrow Slips

Fox’s Empire wrapped its supernova-like freshman season on the highest of notes, averaging 16.7 million total viewers and a 6.5 demo rating across its two-hour run (per finals) — rising 12 percent to easily deliver season highs.

Hour-by-hour, the show did 15.8 mil/6.1, and then 17.6 mil/6.9.

TVLine readers gave the twisty-turny, sexy, deadly season-ender an average grade of “A-.”

For the record: the buzzy drama wound up growing its audience everysingleweek, and in the demo at the very worst dipped a singular tenth (back in Week 4).

Looking for a chart? Child, I don’t want no chicken:
Empire Finale Ratings Record

Elsewhere, per fast nationals….

CBS | A two-hour Survivor (9.6 mil/2.3) ticked up in audience plus a tenth in the demo vs. Empire. CSI: Cyber (8 mil/1.4) slipped 17 percent and three tenths.

THE CW | Arrow (2.6 mil/0.9) slipped two tenths. Supernatural (1.7 mil/0.6) ticked down a tenth from its last Tuesday outing, to its lowest rating since October 2012.

ABC | 20/20: The Untold Story of the Sound of Music did 7.3 mil and a 1.4, tying CSI: Cyber in the demo.

1. Wee says:

Wow. Talk about record breaking

2. kmw says:

I guess Empire wasn’t affected by DST. WOW!!! Is that at or near Walking Deads numbers? Just terrific for FOX, it did better than I thought

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

WALKING DEAD most recently did 13.8 mil / 7.0.

• Stacey says:

It was the finale. Of course it was going to do blockbusters. A two hour finale too. Therefore it was going to be up. Now the risk is if the show can keep it in season 2. It’s a watercooler show for the moment, so there was no way it would go down!

3. Tran says:

Don’t know if the upcoming season of Empire is going to start in the Fall or mid-season 2016. Guess we’ll wait during the upfronts come May.

• Julia says:

I think they are splitting it up…8 episodes in the fall and 8 in the spring. Not sure if that is official yet.

• Patrick says:

Given that Fox would like season to start next week, I imagine that Season 2 will start in the early fall.

4. Al says:

@matt
    Do you think FOX moves it to 8 in order to launch a new show?

5. Dean says:

Good Lord Empire is truly remarkable may actually have to watch it. Lastnight’s arrow was great but with Empire the ratungs were bound to take a hit. Cyber is done but hope this means CBS goes through with the criminal minds spin off.

• Sam says:

I’d rather CBS pick up something original, CSI:Cyber’s ratings should tell CBS people sick of uninspired spinoffs that don’t even try to establish their own identity, same with NCIS:NO which would be in cancellation territory if it wasn’t on after NCIS

• BrittBrat says:

Same here. I wish CBS would leave the spin-offs alone. Let’s be a little more original now!

• Patrick says:

Its so hard to get people to tune into a show until they know it will get renewed, which is impossible. Ergo, they spin off hoping that fans of the original tune in to the spin off. The problems with a lot of these spinoffs is that they happen after the original turns off the fans. With NCIS, fans have lost faith in character advancement, so while they stick with the original out of habit, they won’t get tricked into watching the new one.

• Sam says:

The thing is only fans will likely care about the spinoff. Non Criminal Minds fans aren’t going to watch the spinoff

6. Eric7740 says:

Is this show really that good??? Or is it over-hyped liked the Walking Dead??? Or are people just jumping on the bandwagon so they don’t feel left out when people are talking about the show the next day???

• Mary says:

Personally I think it is that good and I have told several of my friends to watch and they loved it. I was surprise I would like it because I am not into that type of music but man it became addicting. Hopefully next season will be just as good. Never got into the Walking Dead.

• jessica says:

this so show is really good. I started to watch it because it’s a black people show and stuff but after episode 2 i was addicted to the show. i recorded the show in case i happen to be sleeping or doing something else. Most of the time when i’m doing homework or other things i would have to watch it. i started to make this show a priority every and made sure that every wednesday i had to be home on time. i love Cookie. She’s the best mother ever.

• LT says:

Over-hyped and bandwagon…both. It’s good and soapy but without Taraji it would be mediocre at best.

• Diva DIary says:

I don’t think it’s over-hyped. The only thing I hear about the show are Taraji and the music and neither are over-hyped to me.

7. Matt C. says:

Way to go out with a bang. What a phenomenal season. Reading about the ratings each Thursday morning was almost as entertaining as the show itself. I can’t wait for season 2!

8. Arthur Cook says:

Lucious Lyons real name is Dwight Walker

9. kmw says:

Yes we all knew it was the finale but still. Now the wait until next season an see what they do. I can see FOX ordering slightly more episodes but not 22 and I don’t know if its a good idea to move it to 8 o clock hour it depends on what FOX has planned for fall

• Patrick says:

They’ll want 40 eps, but they’ll settle for 22. Corporations operate on the thinking that if a little is good, then more would be better, and much more would be fantastic. These are huge numbers, and Fox will want a season of numbers this good. Even if there is a 30-40 drop, its still huge by today’s expectations.

• Diva DIary says:

They’re not going to get 22. It’s hard enough for Jim Beanz to keep up with the music now and Daniels doesn’t want anymore than 12. I think they might settle for 16.

10. cyrano says:

The Lyons roared. Just felt Cookie being against Jamal was waaaay to dramatic and un necessary. Is it because she doesn’t want him as the CEO or because he sided a bit with Lucious? Can’t wait for S2.

11. naomie perry says:

Lucious name is Dwight Walker

12. Mary says:

CSI Cyber is a big disappointment.

• Tran says:

Couldn’t agree more. I would’ve blame CBS on how Stalker got replaced by CSI: Cyber in the 10 p.m. Wednesday night time slot. Procedural shows continues to be CBS’ biggest MO and who knows what will happen in the near future. Depending on when and if Stalker comes back, there’s going to be more complaining about all of this.

13. Ramona Jones says:

how could that be the lowest SPN ratings since 2012? It got a 0.7 demo and 1.6mil viewers for an episode at the end of last season and that was 2014

14. justsomeguy says:

OMG EMPIRE!!!!

I had to do it, haha. It’s truly a special show. For those on the fence about the show, I think it’s worth the hype. It’s really, really good. At least watch the first 2 episodes. I knew the show would be good with Taraji Henson being in it, but I never knew it’d be THE show everyone is talking about. That.. I don’t think anyone anticipated. What a pleasant surprise, indeed.

15. DEBI says:

Emj
    pire….greatest show on tv can’t wait for it to come back on

16. Hodan says:

DAMN! Empire went out with a bang! Soo proud.

17. WayneAdneyC says:

Taraji…well, she made the show,and in in any show; demands the most emotional performance from the characters she plays or had played…from the previews this is no exception…I imagine since I’m waiting for it to come out on Netflix to watch it on DVD. I think it srta has that Sleepy Hollow/ The Following hype maybe even better show season two will be forced to step it up leaving probably a down-to-earth season 3, unfortunately that would cause it to end after 5-6 seasons. That in turn should be enough for this show even though outraged viewers will claim that FOX would have prematurely cancelled which is unfair to the network and the show unless of course they did a mediocre, okay ending like with Covert Affairs (A reason why FOX and [free] public television is still a huge contender among those cable/satellite networks.

18. Dave says:

Just imagine the numbers for the season 2 premiere when all the people who haven’t watched empire now, will catch up during the summer…just hope FOX wont ruin everything like with glee..

• M says:

Agreed. The premiere is sure to be amazing after more people tune in over the summer with streaming services. I just hope they don’t up the episode number too many and the show loses direction to fill the quota like Sleepy Hollow… or just jump the shark like Glee.

19. Our tropical climate will heat your spirits when you calm down in your personal non-public haven at
    The Elysian.

20. Dawn says:

I Do Not Think SUPERNATURAL gets enough attention it should get!!!!! Been a fan since day 1.

21. Dennis Lessick says:

ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!!! Will be chomping the bit till its return this FALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Dennis Lessick says:

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!! Will be chomping at the bit till its return this FALL!!!!!