'Glee' Finale Week

Glee's Top 10 Divas, Ranked: Which McKinley High Star Reigns Supreme?

Glee Best Singers

To quote Glee‘s Emma Pillsbury (quoting Urban Dictionary), a diva is a “fierce, often temperamental, singer who comes correct. She is not a trick-ass ho, and she does not sweat the haters.” But which of McKinley High’s (many!) divas deserves the top spot?

It’s a question that’s plagued mankind since the dawn of time — or at least since the Fox comedy premiered in 2009 — yet has never been conclusively answered. After much deliberation, and many hours tumbling downward in a YouTube rabbit hole, I believe I’ve finally settled on a winner.

Is it future Tony Award winner Rachel Berry? The oh-so-soulful Mercedes Jones? Or is it one of the New Directions’ more masculine-ish members? (As Blaine notes, “Guys can be divas, too!”)

One thing to keep in mind as you proceed: As with TVLine’s previous Glee rankings, both of couples and performances, this is only one person’s opinion. We can agree to disagree (and if you have a different opinion, let me know!)

Browse TVLine’s gallery of Glee‘s top 10 divas below (warning: controversial statements ahead!), then drop a comment: Do you agree with the order? What would you change? And, of course, who is your No. 1?

1. ANON R says:

Klainers in 3.. 2.. 1..

2. anna says:

santana’s take on don’t rain on my parade doesn’t compare to rachel’s incredible rendition. andy, if you think that version blew rachel out of the water why is rachel’s number 3 on your list of best performances and santana’s (deservedly) doesn’t even show up on such list?

• Andy Swift says:

The list of best performances was curated by another member of our staff. And I said Santana’s “DROMP” blew Rachel out of the water, not Rachel’s *version.* I think they were both terrific for different reasons.

• Hodan says:

I totally agree with you, Anna.

Andy you have meant say “Santana’s “DROMP” blew Rachel out of the water, not Rachel’s *version.” but that is not how it comes across to others including Anna and I. Just saying…

• truth says:

The best thing about that performance was Diva Rachel’s reactions.

• AT says:

I totally agree. Perhaps Santana is more of a diva than Rachel, but Santana’s DROMP doesn’t even compare to Rachel’s. Rachel’s was far superior. Santana’s was good, and entertaining, but Rachel’s was perfect.

3. Seriously Andy you sound about as shallow as some of Glee viewers at times. Let the tater tots joke go. You played right into the stereotypes of so many who took ALL of the wrong parts of Glee and ran with them. Mercedes IS and ALWAYS will be more than one episode about something so stupid but still some how keeps coming back. As a journalist maybe you should have tapped into your more creative side and come up with something better than what you did. I actually feel embarrassed that you stooped to such a low standard of writing to describe one of the best “role models” on the show! Shame on you!

• Andy Swift says:

The tater tots reference comes from a song Mercedes wrote about herself, so it’s forever fair game. Also, I had nothing but glowing things to say about her, so I haven’t a clue what you’re getting all riled up about.

• You mean the one line of “they tried to take away my tots” from “Hell To The No” not about “downing another plate”, I guess in Mercedes fashion I have to say “Hell To The No” for your reply and accept that you just don’t get it. Whatever!

• “Hell To The No” was more than just about tots but that seem to be the thing you focused on to list along side all of your glowing comments. So I’m not riled up I just thought it was a low blow and references a song with one line to justify it when there was more to the song (it wasn’t an ode to Tater Tots) is still wrong. But I’m done.

• Scott says:

Andy’s whole review of Mercedes says how strong of a woman she is and how she doesn’t take crap, she’s a diva. I don’t understand what was wrong with what he said?

4. Em says:

awww reading this made me so nostalgic. glee had so many great characters and I totally agree with you that Santana is the #1 diva.

5. A ball gown is a traditional dress which is mainly made
    of luxurious fabric. Their cameras are much better than thee average point
    and shoot to buy local electronics store. For a working definition I define “jitters” as being the normal questions one has
    about the immediate and long-term changes inn tthe indivual’s lifestyle that go along wiyh the act
    of becoming a partnership or committed couple.

6. Grace says:

Thank you for all of these TV Line lists over the last few days! They are getting me through some seriously dull days at work. And I agree with the #1 choice on this list completely. :-)

7. Tish says:

I don’t consider Santana a diva but she’s awesome

8. KC says:

I don’t consider Brittany, Santana or Kitty divas – AT ALL.
    Rachel Berry is and will always be the #1 Diva on the show.
    Mercedes a close second and Kurt third.

9. Ally Oop says:

Back when I still liked Glee, Santana was my favourite character I also really liked Marlee.

10. emmyloser says:

While I don’t agree with all the writeups, these rankings are spot on.

11. Bye Felicia says:

‘Lady Hummel’ somebody who puts Santana on number one would call him that crap

• guest says:

We also call Sam trouty Mouth. Don’t see the problem.

• Swerve says:

Only Kurt said that calling him a lady is bullying. And even though Sam never made a remark about it, Chord said he didn’t feel insecure about his lips until The writers started with the trouty mouth thing.

• Livie says:

But I bet you’d never call Santana ‘Sandbags’ and find it offensive to those who did. Why is one OK and the other is not? Just because it’s Santana?

• .... says:

Because one is homophobic and effemiphobic and the other isn’t?

12. Nellie says:

Just adore your lists! You are always spot on in my book, but “fans” will always bitch about what you did or did not do to their fav!

13. Haha Santana blowing Rachel out of the water? Nice try.

14. truth says:

SL DROMP did not blow anyone out of the water.

• Tim says:

Writers says the reaction of Rachel is what he meant by blew her out of the water. Not the actual singing of the song.

Becasue Rachel’s DROMP was a show stopper and actually meant a lot to the show and story. Santana’s faux bway style was for comedy in the end and Raahel’s reaction.

15. Jennifer says:

Couldn’t agree more with the top three, that’s exactly how I’d rank them. I love that Artie made the list. I think his voice is absolutely phenomenal, terribly underused, and he does possess a certain sass that lends itself to the “diva” title. After going through the list I’d actually place him much higher, maybe even at number four.

16. joncuriel says:

Oh my God! So Unique and Artie are there but Tina is not? This lost credibility, sure, she is not as powerful as Mercedes or Santana, but come on, we all know she deserved a spot on that list! She has fought so hard for it and the only reason she never got it is because of the writers.

• AT says:

I don’t think Tina is a diva at all. Her character has never been likeable. While she could sing well, she never displayed any diva qualities, which is why she never got that solo or leadership role she oh so desired.

17. zeynab says:

I totally agree with you that SANTANA is the #1 DIVA and i don’t consider Rachel a diva!

18. Fernanda says:

Santana was the biggest female surprise for the show, yes, Rachel is our ultimate diva but her inspiration is Barbra Streisand. Santana grows so much, since her supporting role until her big twist plotline with the Brittana story. Even she stole Quinn’s thunder as the B…H of the school.

19. Livie says:

How does Santana bullying people, (including calling people names like Lady Hummel, such as you yourself did) earn her the right to ‘tell it like it is’ as you put it? Santana is directionless. And there is a difference between brutal truth and outright bullying.

• Ali says:

Them using “Lady Hummel” was uncalled for, and kind of showed me exactly why they hate both Kurt and Blaine and drooled over Karofsky to the very end.

20. Ali says:

Sometimes I look back to an episode called “Old Dog New Tricks” where Chris Colfer wrote a beautiful tirade from Kurt to Rachel about how he’s basically her handbag. Or that time during SBL promotion where he joked that Kurt would just be giving Rachel a pep talk, as usual. I’m glad Chris at least knows which character caused his to cease to exist. Or did Blaine’s multi-episode and song arc about not getting into NYADA overshadow Kurt’s “I didn’t get in”? Or did Kurt’s president storyline somehow become all about Blaine? How about when Blaine got the big midgame love interest with songs and multiple scenes and Kurt got NY midgame scraps with whatshisface in the NY screentime that wasn’t taken up by him? Or am I confused and was that all Rachel? Hmm.

21. Scott says:

No Tina, Andy?!? WTH?!?

• Scott says:

Ok I just read a comment from someone really defending Tina and her not being on this list, so I guess I need to say that my comment was sarcastic. Thought that would be obvious but maybe not.

22. CC says:

Nope. Santana does not have the chops to be #1 here. Regardless of Santana’s version of DROMP, it pales in comparison to anything Rachel or Mercedes can do.

23. Rayne says:

Can y’all do a best/worst guest stars!?

24. Kira says:

As a Kurt fan i always thought that being a diva is a part of his character, and to be honest i love this about him, too. Meanwhile i don’t even know why Blaine is on the list, he’s not a fierceful diva, he’s just a whiny child constantly seeking attention.

25. Marco says:

Isn’t ‘Diva’ an insult ? And if so, Blaine is the Biggest Diva, that obnoxious drama Queen.

26. Wee says:

Okay I feel like you’re out of the loop. Everybody knows it goes Rachel, Mercedes, Santana, Kurt. That’s like the the unofficial rule.