Ratings: DWTS Hits Premiere Low, The Voice Slips, Castle Dips

Dancing With the Stars Ratings

ABC’s Dancing With the Stars kicked off its milestone Season 20 with 14.2 million total viewers and a 2.1 rating (per finals), down 12 percent in the demo from its previous opener (13.6 mil/2.4) to hit a new all-time low for a premiere.

Versus its year-ago premiere, DWTS was down 8 and 19 percent.

Leading out of that, Castle (8.9 mil/1.5) rose 17 percent in audience (to its largest draw since Nov. 24) while dipping a tenth in the demo.

Elsewhere….

NBC | The Voice (12.6 mil/3.4) was down 10 percent, while The Night Shift (5.4 mil/1.3) was flat.

THE CW | The Originals (1.3 mil/0.5) and Jane the Virgin (1.1 mil/0.5) each dropped a handful of eyeballs while flat in the demo.

FOX | Again leading out of a Gotham rerun, The Following (3.5 mil/1.1) was steady.

CBS | Mired in a sea of reruns, Mike & Molly (8.6 mil/2.0) dipped a tenth.

1. Tran says:

Really hope Castle gets renewed but it’s not going anywhere. Wonder what will happen next season if The Blacklist or a new drama series fills the void for the post-Voice time slot on NBC.

2. TicaTica says:

I’m ok with those for Castle. I don’t think the viewers # is the problem, is the demo so hopefully it will up as the season is over and will have a season 8!! :)

• Grey says:

I just hope it doesn’t get adjusted down in the finals. I’m not sure but I think “DWTS” ran over a little bit; and I don’t know if any markets got pre-empted because of “March Madness.” That’s another ratings monkey-wrench this time of year.

3. Isaac says:

The Night Shift steady as rock

4. anonymous says:

What is with CBS and the reruns?! We get a couple of new episodes of the NCIS shows and then reruns…a couple more then reruns again. It’s very frustrating.

• Tran says:

Still can’t stand CBS for airing reruns of Big Bang Theory on a Monday night but why would they not air repeats of 2 Broke Girls? Guess we’ll never know before the season ends and I can’t wait when the entire Monday night line-up on CBS is back with fresh episodes.

• Grey says:

It’s basically the same as with all the networks; the “official” TV season runs from Sept. to May or roughly 28-30 weeks or so while most shows only produce 20-22 episodes (even less for mid-season replacements). Then you have all the specials; award shows, sporting events, misc. specials, and “breaking news” broadcasts, etc. So, in order to spread out the episodes and have new episodes airing at the most fruitful times, i.e. during “Sweeps,” they have to toss in reruns here and there. A “Sweeps” period (February) just ended so between now and the next one (May) pickings are going to be slim and uneven. It’s just the nature of the beast in this day and age of television. It’s also why I think ratings numbers across the board are routinely down in the 1s and 2s (shows like “Empire” being the exception and not the rule). More and more people have stopped watching stuff live and now watch it delayed so that a) it will be a new episode for them and b) on their own schedule. Furthermore, if the wait they can see almost an entire season of something uninterrupted.

5. BrittBrat says:

I didn’t watch DWTS, but Tony looks a mess in that picture!
    Overall, I think the tv ratings in general were pretty good. There was a lot of competition on last night.

6. anne says:

how can they pretty much cancel Hart of Dixie if it’s doing better than Jane the Virgin.. I don’t get TV ratings at all

• Katherine215 says:

I don’t get it either. I think it’s doing the same ratings, but on a Friday, so better in that respect. Makes me so mad, I love HoD so much and this season has been fantastic. Why can’t it be a 13 episode summer show? It has a loyal fanbase that I’m sure would follow it to summer.

• Allison says:

That’s what I’ve been pushing for, a 12 or 13 episode summer series to really wrap things up. 10 episodes was just too few. I think HOD would make a great summer series for the CW. It’s light and fun and already has a loyal, built in fan base which would be easier to attract to the summer than a brand new show. I realize it’s not all about ratings and I know CW has a love affair with JtV because the critics like it and it won their very first GG but come on! JtV is getting very similar ratings to HOD in it’s first season while HOD is in it’s 4th and on Fridays. Until last season when LG screwed around and wasted a big chunk of the season on nonsense, HOD ratings were better. JtV is already getting 0.4 in it’s first season, I’m pretty sure HOD never had ratings that low in it’s first season when it was in that exact same time slot! They promote the hell out of JtV and show maybe one promo for HOD a week. JtV and Reign have very similar ratings to HOD and BatB has even lower (even before they moved it to the summer) and they all get renewed but HOD doesn’t?!?! Also, HOD may not be the cheapest show to produce on CW but I know it’s on the lower end of their production costs. If this does in fact happen and it is canceled I’m done with CW!

• brandydanforth81 says:

Batzb does very well internationally,well enough that those sells cover its production costs.Czw lves Batzb cause it’s Pedowitz first show at CW.It was renewed only to get to 70 episodes for syndication and get a proper ending while HoD has enough for short syndicayion& proper ending.Also, rumors/speculation is Rschel wants to be a full time mom.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Because CW supports /loves Jane but not HoD.Jane does well internationally,HoD not.Jane is critically acclaimed/award winning HoD HoD isn’t.HoD is also at the point of short syndication & having a proper ending-which is what Czw mostly cares about- but Jane isn’t.Plus,rumor/speculation is Rachel wants to be a full time mom.Also, when HoD wasn’t renewed early with the other shows,that was a good indication it most Likley wasn’t getting renewed especially since with so many shows renewed early,thers was little room left for HoD.Sometimes ,it’s not about raw ratings or relative ratings but if a show os at the point where the network/studio can get a return on thier investment in the show or not-HoD was at that point & Jane isn’t,

• Boiler says:

And you know all this how?? If Rachel had decided she was done this show would have announced an ending long ago. Clearly other actors aren’t done

7. David H says:

So if DWTS had 14 million viewers last night, and 13.6 million viewers for its previous season premiere, how is that considered a drop?

8. Harry Wild says:

I watch Castle with HK Chief Inspector episode! Kind of far fetch especially the hand to hand combat scene in the boxing gym! Those who are taught hand to hand combat techniques know that an excellent fighter can be neutralize by take that person down to the ground.

A tackle would easily do it for a 200 lb. person in shape against someone weighing only half of that! Every play contact football?

I think that there were about 8-10 guys surrounding her close quarters! If any of them were in the arm forces; they know that to take her to the ground!