Arrow/Flash Team-Up Spinoff Project Adds Dominic Purcell's Heat Wave

Arrow Flash Spinoff Heat Wave

Captain Cold won’t be going it alone in The CW’s buzzy spinoff project that will mash up characters from both Arrow and The Flash.

As reported by our sister site Deadline, Dominic Purcell has boarded the series, which is being eyed for a midseason 2015-16 launch, as Flash pyro Mick Rory aka Heat Wave.

As previously reported, the “team-up” spinoff will also star Arrow‘s Brandon Routh (who plays Ray/The Atom) and Caity Lotz (formerly Sara/Canary), as well as The Flash‘s Victor Garber (Dr. Martin Stein). Robbie Amell, it was reported over the weekend, will not be joining Garber as the other half of Firestorm.

New DC Comics characters to be cast, as first revealed by TVLine, include a time traveler, a female warrior and an African American hero.

Previewing Miller’s role in the hero-centric offshoot, exec producer Mar Guggenheim told TVLine that Leonard Snart/Captain Cold is “the fly in the ointment… [a] villain among heroes. But that’s what makes it fun. We really wanted an x-factor as part of the show.”

1. What I’m wondering right now about Atom is if him changing sizes will be presented as an unintended consequence of the technology he is using as opposed to the intent all along.

2. Yeahman says:

Who would be the other half of Firestorm now?

3. JC1 says:

Eh. Am I the only Flash viewer not in love with Captain Cold and Heatwave?

• RichCD says:

No – I’m with you. I thought they were way over the top. Plus, I just don’t understand why Barry couldn’t move fast enough to disarm these guys (or why he would ever put himself in front of them.)

Arrow and Flash are really good. This new project might be going to the well one too many times (hello, Star Trek: Voyager!)

• JC1 says:

I’m excited about the show (mainly because of the possibility of Sara’s return but still) but I just don’t get the Cold/Heatwave thing. *shrug* Maybe because I never watched Prison Break. And I just think these guys’ antics would get old quick.

• Das Snow says:

Hey I like Star Trek Voyager. You can talk about the one after that came though I’ll except that one

• I never watched Prison Break, but after watching their hilariously bad acting on Flash I can not believe those guys ever led a show that wasn’t cancelled after 3 episodes.

• Bwhit says:

You are missing out because Prison Break was a great show. These shows are based off of comic books, so the characters were supposed to be a bit campy. To each their own but I wouldn’t bash a show I never watched and judged the actors on very different roles. Dominic and Wentworth have always been very entertaining to watch especially on Prison Break.

• Ben says:

No, I mean it’s not that they weren’t good, but series regulars? I don’t get it.

4. Brandon Rowe says:

Now they just need to add Robert Knepper as the Clock King!

5. SteveO says:

Where was the sad news about Robbie Amell reported over the weekend?

6. Fosho says:

i love love love Superhero movies and TV shows, but this thing is starting to feel like one big jumbled mess. I love shows like The Flash and particularily Arrow for the humanity and character relationships. If this show is just one giant team up show then I’ll spend my precious time knitting instead.

7. Ashley says:

Anyone else wondering how Sara is going to be in it?

8. Luis says:

Glad to see the old “Prison Break” gang back together

9. Lizo says:

Oh this is most excellent!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!

10. Shannon P. says:

Ugh… I would prefer anyone over Captain Cold and Heat Wave. Why not Hartley Rathaway (Pied Piper)? He’s a far more interested character and has history w/ the Star Labs crew. Where are all the ladies? So its gonna be Sara and a bunch of guys? Including The Huntress and Nyssa would make the lineup so much better.

• JC1 says:

There’s one other female character that’s coming, but we don’t know exactly who it is yet (the female warrior mentioned in the article). But yeah, the male to female ratio is still pretty skewed. I’d like to see another couple of female characters added to be honest.

• Steven says:

I wish Hartley would get promoted to regular. He’s such a fun character.

• Angel says:

They need Pied Piper for The Flash because he’s supposed to be a love interest for the police captain.

• Dj says:

The titans TNT show is going to be Robin(Nightwing) and a bunch of girls. If this is the cast it looks pretty good.

11. Drew says:

I’m not concerned that there are too many comic books shows. I am a little bit concerned that there are an awful lot of them being produced by the same people. This debut season of The Flash is also the weakest season of Arrow. Now we have Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and the mystery series (and I really don’t get why it is so mysterious in so many ways at this point. Even if they don’t want to tell us the specific plot of the series, they could at least confirm that Caity will be Sara, so that the articles about the show can stop dancing around her involvement). I think that the priority needs to be getting Arrow back on track next season and maintaining the quality of The Flash. All of these new shows sound cool, but I’d rather have two great shows than four Agents of SHIELD-level shows.

12. Gerald says:

So not on board with this. Have Dominic Purcell (A horrible actor) join the show does not bode well in my mind and I was already against this show.

13. uk-usa-tvaddict says:

Can a comicbook reader guess what city this show will take place in? Or will this take place in AU Starling City/Central City?

14. Dr. M says:

Is this going to end up some sort of Justice League series?