Report: Apple Streaming Service to Feature Bundled TV Basics, No NBC

Apple Streaming Service

Apple is planning to roll out this fall a streaming video service that will narrow down TV’s hundreds of pickings to a couple dozen channels — but no NBC properties.

As reported by the Wall Street Journal, Apple is in talks with programmers to deliver a bundle that includes major players such as ABC, CBS and Fox and their respective offshoots/cable offerings. But because of a falling out between Apple and Comcast last year, NBC Universal and its broadcast/cable networks (e.g. Bravo, Syfy, Oxygen) are not a part of the discussion.

Experts tell the Journal that the streamlined bundle — which would be available to any devices that use Apple’s iOS operating system — likely will run $30 to $40 a month (in addition to Internet service, unless you watch your TV exclusively at, say, McDonald’s).

Cord-cutters and wannabes, what do you think of this new, affordable wave of watching TV?

1. Jared says:

Dear NBC,

ITS NOT ABOUT YOU! It’s about your viewers! Grow up already!

Sincerely,
    The viewers who pay to watch your shows!

2. Boyer says:

Meh, it stinks and would save me no money. Aside from NBC, it excludes a lot of channels I like. And I don’t want to be forced to use some stupid Apple system to get it anyway.

3. Et al says:

Oh no! Viewers will miss out on the awesome NBC shows such as… well… hmm… I got nothin’.

4. Jason Paul says:

This is good for the casual viewer, but not for a TV addict like me.

• Katherine215 says:

Same here. Plus, I like sports and you pretty much need cable or satellite for that these days. At the end of the day, monthly fees for this plus Netflix, a streaming sports package, or some other packages won’t cost you much less than a basic cable package. And I can fast forward on my dvr, which is worth a lot to me!

5. Tahoe Mike says:

Not a member of the cult of Apple.

6. SPAMMER says:

Spam deleted

7. Rich Stowe says:

and cable companies will start to jack the price of internet or punish you for not having their bundle to make up the loss of revenue. While it will be great to have this ability via my apple TVs (provided it’s on-demand and not only on a by the schedule type viewing), I won’t pay more to stream the majority of the channels to my apple than I would if I had normal cable.

8. JK says:

Doesn’t NBC own a pretty big part of HULU? This makes sense if that is true.

9. Steven says:

I get the idea of moving into the age of the Internet, but this would never work in my house.

10. MatRaupach says:

Does anyone know if there are something like country limitations? Using that outside the states would be pretty awesome for me even without nbc ;)

11. Augusta says:

Why make such a big deal about NBC programs not being included? Apple can’t offer content they can’t get distribution agreements for… Without finishing the article, I’d bet they also don’t offer content from HBO or Hulu or Yahoo or any other competing streaming service…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Because… the bundle is being built with the major broadcasters as its anchors — and one of them will be MIA. (And with them goes all their cable channels.) Ergo: Biggish deal.

• Harry Wild says:

Comcast owns NBC and NBC Universal and a bunch of other cable channels. The were leading Apple on so that they could come out with a competing TV box but Apple found this out and quit the talks!

12. Penn says:

Excuse me, but what about 30 or 40 dollars a month is affordable?

13. Harry Wild says:

If I can choice my channel or show to watch; I would pay more too! HBO at $15 is okay for me! FX at $10 is okay too! Tennis Channel at $20 is okay too! ESPN and ESPN2 at $10 is okay for me too! Fox News at $10 is okay for me too! CNN at $0 is still to high a price to pay for trash tv!

14. krawhitham says:

This is why cable companies should not have be allowed to buy TV networks. A network owned by a cable company is not going to allow their network on a service designed to kill cable

15. JDWLA says:

I haven’t paid for cable/satellite since early 2012. When I dumped that, I upgraded to Hulu Plus. So between paying for that, CBS All Access (w/live streaming), HBO NOW (who isn’t going to sign up for that free month?!), and then my parents DirecTV log-in for everything else, I’m set. And it’s all still more affordable than any decent Comcast, Time Warner, or DirecTV package!