SYTYCD Recruits Travis Wall and Twitch as 'Stage Vs. Street' Mentors

So You Think You Can Dance is offering two very charismatic incentives to retain long-time viewers who might have some trepidation about Season 12’s new “Stage Vs. Street” twist.

Fox’s summer reality sensation is bringing back Stephen “Twitch” Boss and Travis Wall – who rank among the show’s most popular graduates —  as mentors to the Top 20 finalists, the network announced Monday.

SYTYCD‘s tweaked structure will begin during the Las Vegas callbacks round — with contemporary, ballet, jazz and tap specialists getting separated into the “Stage” group, and hip-hop, animation and breaking experts lumped together under the “Street” heading.

Once the voting rounds begin, Travis will mentor the stage dancers and Twitch will mentor the street dancers, all of whom will be challenged weekly to perform a variety of styles. One dancer from each genre will be eliminated each week leading up to the season finale.

Travis rose to fame as runner-up on SYTYCD‘s second season, while Twitch finished second in Season 4.

Season 12 will also see some big changes at the judges’ table: Longtime panelist Mary Murphy is out, with Paula Abdul and Jason Derulo now sitting alongside the returning Nigel Lythgoe.

SYTYCD premieres Monday, June 1 at 8/7c.

Check out a video message from the show’s new mentors below, then hit the comments and tell us whether the Travis-Twitch twist has you more or less excited for the show’s return!

1. Don’t forget ballroom. Nigel confirmed that street styles (i.e. likely latin ballroom like Salsa, Cha-cha) will be put in the Street Section and the more traditional styles (i.e. standard ballroom like Jive, Quickstep) will be put in the stage section.

2. Alan Dvorkis says:

Disappointed that Mary is no longer on panel

3. Rebecca says:

Haven’t watched in a long time. But this will get me to watch again! Loved them both!

4. Paula Hauser says:

such a good move. travis is t6he best and twitch super

5. Julia says:

I will watch Twitch and Travis do anything. Even if the new panel and format is awful, I am tuning in. :)

6. noodle says:

I was ready to give this show up and now they bring back my two all time favorite dancers as mentors. Maybe their strategy to retain longtime viewers is working.

• mabesny says:

Totally agree with you. I was ready to write this off after I heard that Mary was being replaced by Paula and the other guy but I love Travis and tWitch so I’ll just fast forward past the judges and watch the true stars of the show.

7. Beth Wagner says:

Does this mean Travis won’t be a choreographer? And that Twitch won’t perform as an All Star????

• Jen says:

I’m not sure about Travis choreographing (although I REALLY hope he is) but I read an article that listed this years all stars and Twitch was on it.

8. Tracy Gallinghouse says:

I LOVE this show and now extra excited about Travis and Twitch! I will miss Mary Murphy, though.

9. Shaun says:

Well,I guess we know Kathryn,Ryan,Fikshun will at least be on here this season.

10. Maxsmom says:

I have been with SYTYCD since the 2nd season and I don’t think I appreciated Mary until she was gone during season 7. I love the addition of Paula Abdul and think that she and Mary would have gotten along like gangbusters. I thought Jason Derulo was the worst guest judge ever and I am not impressed with his dancing, he is like a copy of a copy rather than an original. I will sample this new version but I am not optimistic.

11. Tammy says:

and why couldn’t they be judges instead of Paula and Jason? Again, I will be FF through the judges comments and just watch the dancing this year.

12. Roxie says:

I’m still wondering why in the world Jason Derulo is a judge. Mary’s schtick had grown old with me, but she has clout.

13. I’m totally psyched! Love tWitch and Travis. Now, they could make sure Alex F. Wong is in the mix, I’ll be in heaven!!!

14. I’m totally psyched! I love tWitch and Travis. Now, if they could just get Alex F. Wong into the mix, I’ll be in heaven!!!

15. Sorry about the double post!

16. Amber says:

It’s too bad the judge’s panel couldn’t have been Nigel, Paula and Mary. Mary brings an excitement that will be missed. Not sure what Jason will bring considering he was not a good guest judge. There were so many others who were so much better. Oh well, hopefully he’ll improve. I don’t love that they’ve made these changes, but I get that they may have had to make compromises to be renewed.

17. PFitzDC says:

Hmmmmm…..not sure how I will feel about sacrificing Travis’ beautiful choreography to see some overly edited snippets of his mentoring.

18. Lynn says:

So sad Mary is not returning. I like Paula, but she is not a good judge. Cannot make a decision. Love Twitch and Travis. Will give new format a chance…not sure. Love this show.

19. Mytake says:

Great, comments still not showing up.

20. Robyn Smith says:

I’ve watched every season if SYTYCD and every season except last I find one dance and one song I just love, test me, the ballet dancer and psych, the bench and more, except last year which was horrible with all the new changes. And now that Mary Murphy is gone so am I along with just about everyone on my FB

21. Faniac says:

I am a long time fan of the show. I am looking forward to watching the show with my six year old son who loves music and to dance. He especially loves trying to break dance so I think SYTYCD will have an new fan.